Trade value

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think it's rather low right now and that's all our own teams fault. Keep him playing and his value will be in the 2nd range.

I wonder if a 2ND would be equal to a solid FWD prospect, i.e. Fayne brings back a prospect.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
What is the feeling towards Zajac currently? Could he be moved? If so, for what? Asking as I don't see Hodgson and Grigorenko both fitting in Buffalo long term unless one of them improves their defensive game (too much liability for the team to cover) - not that they need to be part of any trade proposals. I've always admired Zajac's all around game but haven't seen much of him this season and noticed his totals seemed to have fallen off compared to other Devils forwards and was curious as to the feeling of the fan base towards him at this point with the large contract in place.

Edit: Apologize if this is the wrong thread. Looked for a trade/speculation thread but one didn't jump out.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Harrold being on a two year deal will be the factor that determines what happens with Fayne who is an upcoming UFA. With Merrill likely penciled in for the roster next year and everyone else still signed, what it will come down to is if we plan to resign Fayne, which means Harrold is dealt or waived to Albany. The more likely case is that I see Fayne dealt at the deadline for a pick to team looking for depth and expecting a long playoff run (perhaps like a chicago). In this case, getting a 3rd rounder is probably the best we could hope for. We'd lose him for nothing anyway so it's helpful to get anything.

As for Zajac, the biggest issue is his contract. NJ is paying him as they see him, a 1st line center, although in all reality, the guy is more of a solid 2nd line guy. I doubt many teams will pay $5.75 million for a guy who is about a 65% defensive benefit and only a 35% offensive one. This deal was like the reward contract that Pandolfo got. We also had no idea that Kovy was going to bolt an expected a long time pairing of Zajac and Kovy, two players that complimented each other's weaknesses.

We have some guys clogging up spots to develop guys - Zubrus being signed for 3 years is terrible and will block a spot for a guy like Matteau who should slot in on the third line and get some ice time. Bernier is being wasted on the 4th line checking and I would think that and Zubie should switch. I don;t think Carter or Olesz has much value around the league and trading a young player seems detrimental to the direction the team needs to go in.

I think we were hopeful that the team would challenge for a playoff spot as the #7-#8 seed but it's games like the Flyers one that shows us how fragile the team can be. Lou needs o start thinking about his legacy and what condition he will be leaving the team in. He started that with acquiring Schneider. Now, we need to look at some long term solutions up front. Boucher has potential but is risky cause of his skating and Tedenby and Josefson clearly are not the offensive players we hoped for.

Buffalo had two 1sts in 2011 (Grigorenko and Girgensons), had a tom of picks last year, and will have a ton again this year. Give them 3-4 years to develop and if they can add the right pieces will have a successful rebuild. I doubt we could pry Grigorenko out of there but Hodgson might be possible but I'm not sure what we could give Buffalo for now or why they would even make a deal to move Hodgson. Only thing is they'll need to manage their 50 contracts so moving a player for futures frees up a contract..so perhaps moving a 2015 2nd and a 2016 3rd might work.

With us bringing in Schneider, I think it's clear that we will not going into tank mode for a major rebuild. I think we have the G and defensive pieces in place for a nice transition, what we need is that stud forward to take us longer term - perhaps a guy like Evander Kane - now does a Zajac and Tedenby(or maybe Reese Scarlet) for Kane deal make sense? Maybe.

Semak

What is the feeling towards Zajac currently? Could he be moved? If so, for what? Asking as I don't see Hodgson and Grigorenko both fitting in Buffalo long term unless one of them improves their defensive game (too much liability for the team to cover) - not that they need to be part of any trade proposals. I've always admired Zajac's all around game but haven't seen much of him this season and noticed his totals seemed to have fallen off compared to other Devils forwards and was curious as to the feeling of the fan base towards him at this point with the large contract in place.

Edit: Apologize if this is the wrong thread. Looked for a trade/speculation thread but one didn't jump out.

Nah, you're good man. I just don't see Buff trading either of those two yet, at least not this season.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Nah, you're good man. I just don't see Buff trading either of those two yet, at least not this season.

I haven't seen many Devils games this year. Is there anything else your team needs or would be interested in combining with picks from Buffalo to bring Zajac over? Any combo of Ott, Stafford, Ennis, Moulson, and a couple of non-Buffalo 2nd's we have on the books get the job done? I'm guessing no, but those are the most likely pieces easily available from the Sabres other than Miller and you guys are set in goal already.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I haven't seen many Devils games this year. Is there anything else your team needs or would be interested in combining with picks from Buffalo to bring Zajac over? Any combo of Ott, Stafford, Ennis, Moulson, and a couple of non-Buffalo 2nd's we have on the books get the job done? I'm guessing no, but those are the most likely pieces easily available from the Sabres other than Miller and you guys are set in goal already.

You already have Myers questionable contract. You sure you want Zajac's?

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
You already have Myers questionable contract. You sure you want Zajac's?

No, not really sure. Just spitballing to see if there are any outside the box solutions to get better faster and fix balance shortfalls in current prospect pool. Resigning Moulson and making a move for Zajac would potentially help. Limited feedback on our board is that guys are not too interested in Zajac...but...I think we should roll the dice and thought he might be available.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I feel like the Devils need a reboot if not a full rebuild and trading Zajac should be a part of that. I know he's a sacred cow to some, but if Buffalo (or any other team) has interest in him as a complimentary player the Devils should move him. As far a the contract, if NJD were willing to retain enough to make him a 4.25-4.5M cap hit, I think they could get a lot more in return.

As far as return, if we retain salary I'd want a pick and prospect and be willing to take on a salary dump, just one that expires after '14-'15.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The only thing missing from Zajac's game is point production, and it's clear that he's able to do that with the right linemates. I don't want to give up on him yet, although is Hodgson is part of the deal I would do it fairly easily. That guy is legit, if he had a little more foot speed he'd be a top-tier player scoring center.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The only thing missing from Zajac's game is point production, and it's clear that he's able to do that with the right linemates. I don't want to give up on him yet, although is Hodgson is part of the deal I would do it fairly easily. That guy is legit, if he had a little more foot speed he'd be a top-tier player scoring center.

For Hodgson? I'd drive Zajac to Buffalo.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm not even that worried. Jagr will net us a 20-30 pick (hopefully low 20s, try to deal him to a likely first round playoff exit, even though id love to see him win another Cup) and you can still get a great player at that level. hell, the Nucks got Shinkaruk at 24! We just have to hope for something similar

I would really like to get our first back, even though its unlikely. I'd honestly give up the next 2-3 2nd rounders to get our first back if its gonna be top-15

Jagr is not netting anything better than a 3rd. His contract alone is a deterrent to any team looking to acquire him. He is going to be expensive towards the end of the year.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Jagr is not netting anything better than a 3rd. His contract alone is a deterrent to any team looking to acquire him. He is going to be expensive towards the end of the year.

You realize that 1) cap numbers are pro-rated and 2) teams can eat portions of it, right? So if for some reason someone can't absorb $800K at the deadline, the Devils could eat the portion they can't take?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
With us bringing in Schneider, I think it's clear that we will not going into tank mode for a major rebuild. I think we have the G and defensive pieces in place for a nice transition, what we need is that stud forward to take us longer term - perhaps a guy like Evander Kane - now does a Zajac and Tedenby(or maybe Reese Scarlet) for Kane deal make sense? Maybe.

I like your thinking on trying to bring in a stud forward for the long-term. I just think the Devils should try and add two - a true #1 center and a power LW or RW.

CKPLAYA

Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
You realize that 1) cap numbers are pro-rated and 2) teams can eat portions of it, right? So if for some reason someone can't absorb $800K at the deadline, the Devils could eat the portion they can't take?

He has an incentive laden contract. Specifically games played. The Devils aren't going to eat any portion of it, besides the contract goes along with the player. I am fairly certain that you can't trade the player and split the money. We'll see.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He has an incentive laden contract. Specifically games played. The Devils aren't going to eat any portion of it, besides the contract goes along with the player. I am fairly certain that you can't trade the player and split the money. We'll see.

regardless what you said doesn't make any sense.

Jagr's contract is $4 million MAXIMUM. by deadline time, whats left? $800k?you're telling me teams don't ever trade players with contracts like that? come on

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I am fairly certain that you can't trade the player and split the money. We'll see.

uh yes.... yes you can. 50% maximum.

for example, Buffalo just retained 19% of Vanek's cap in the Moulson trade

CKPLAYA

Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
regardless what you said doesn't make any sense.

Jagr's contract is $4 million MAXIMUM. by deadline time, whats left? $800k?you're telling me teams don't ever trade players with contracts like that? come on

Just saying that I don't think a team wants to pay him his salary plus some soft incentives that hes going to hit for games played. Well see. I like my track record on these things.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Just saying that I don't think a team wants to pay him his salary plus some soft incentives that hes going to hit for games played. Well see. I like my track record on these things.

Jagr’s contract, which he signed with the Devils as an unrestricted free agent on July 23, calls for him to receive a $250,000 bonus after he plays in 10 regular season games. He’ll receive another $250,000 for every additional five games he plays up to 45, adding up to $2 million total in games-played bonuses on top of his $2 million base salary.

assuming he doesnt have any long absences by the trade deadline, his GP bonus is paid

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

lol whatever you say man

his Games Played bonuses are going to be hit by the time the deadline rolls around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad