Trade value

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Winnipeg would probably want us to retain at least 20% of his salary.

Done. Kane adds too much of what we need and we get to keep Henrique. If we're retaining $1M as a sunk cost, just think of it as an additional $250,000 to Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill, and whatever young FWD the Devils can bring in at the deadline. Purely bookkeeping.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Pass. I hate his self entitled attitude. Little **** hasn't done a thing in this league.

Then again I still despise him for the money/mayweather selfie he took.

Young kid acting stupidly. Maybe a trade will shake him up, plus Marty, Elias, and Lou won't put up with any ****. We'll know quickly if he can fit in. If not, he can be flipped in the offseason.

MountainGoat

I would love to have him but I don't think we afford his value

we need a 1st line center more than anything imo

...and don't say we already have one in Zajac

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Looking ahead - Charlie Coyle?

Right now Coyle is playing on Minnesota's first line and looks to be an important part of their team this year. Coming out of training camp, it was even thought he would Center the 2nd line but Granlund is there currently. Their Top6 are pretty stacked right now:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Niederreiter-Granlund-Pominville

However, with Dany Heatley's $7.5M coming off the books this offseason and mutual interest between Vanek and the Wild, there's a good chance he winds up in Minnesota. If that happens, Coyle could find himself bumped all the way to the 3rd line. Of course nothing is certain, I'm just assuming Vanek signs there for the sake of argument.

If Minnesota's Top 6 winds up filled with Vanek, Coyle might be on the block. Why waste him on the 3rd line if he has 1st line talent and the team could use him in trade to fill other needs. Any thoughts on what it might take to acquire him?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Unloading Zajac would otherwise seem impossible, however given his hometown ties to winnipeg and his good guy persona, I could see the Jets valuing him more then anyone else would.

I'd be all about a package that included Zajac.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Realistically speaking, i don't see many teams willingly taking on the contracts of either Zajac or Clowe, so we're going to just have to hope that Clowe recovers fully and that Zajac finds the offensive component of his game again. Outside of that, it's hard to envision a scenario in which any of Elias, Brodeur, Schneider or Henrique are traded, so what does that leave?

Jagr, Ryder, Brunner, Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Josefson; all of these i could see us trading away if the right offer came along at the deadline. The guys with extra years left on their contracts (Ryder, Brunner and Zubrus) seem the least likely to go; but we could definitely part with them should we look to enter a full on rebuild. Our bottom line role players like Bernier/Carter could also garner some interest from playoff teams looking to strengthen their depth heading into the playoffs.

On the defensive side of things, we want to move Volchenkov, but it's unlikely that anyone would want to trade for his contract. Salvador, Greene, Zidlicky and Fayne could literally all be traded away; although i'd personally like to keep Greene, i think he's underrated, although he'd probably bring the biggest return.

Sadly, it's hard to see anyone giving up a 1st round pick for any of those players, although perhaps a combination of Ryder or Jagr + a depth guy like Bernier would bring a late first at the deadline.

A lot of those guys could bring back second and third round picks, which wouldn't be the end of the world, let's hope we draft well next year.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I would pay a nice package for Granlund. call it Parise and we're even

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I still don't want Zajac traded

Even if you weren't looking to trade him, say a team saw subjective value in Zajac like Winnipeg possibly could, and that team was looking to unload a highly talented player, I think you have to do it.

nor do i.

as much as people ***** and cry and moan he plays a solid game without flashy numbers.

his game vs leafs live was a joy to watch.........ended in a tie game

His offensive ineptitude is a joy to watch?

7 more years of this at $6mil per?

C'mon fellas, I understand he is a solid defensive fwd, but you don't pay this kind of $$$ for a defensive fwd.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not like Zajac doesn't have the talent to be an above-average offensive player. We need to find a way to get it out of him without having the guy who was getting it out of him three-four years ago.

And Zajac isn't just 'good' defensively, the Devils outshot the Leafs something insane like 20-1 when he was on the ice the other night. As good as he is defensively, that's about as bad as he's been offensively though. No he's not worth the money as of now but it's not as if trading him is going to bring back something better. Or that we're so far up against the cap where we need to shed salary.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not like Zajac doesn't have the talent to be an above-average offensive player. We need to find a way to get it out of him without having the guy who was getting it out of him three-four years ago.

And Zajac isn't just 'good' defensively, the Devils outshot the Leafs something insane like 20-1 when he was on the ice the other night. As good as he is defensively, that's about as bad as he's been offensively though. No he's not worth the money as of now but it's not as if trading him is going to bring back something better. Or that we're so far up against the cap where we need to shed salary.

He is the epitome of the Devils struggles.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Even if you weren't looking to trade him, say a team saw subjective value in Zajac like Winnipeg possibly could, and that team was looking to unload a highly talented player, I think you have to do it.

His offensive ineptitude is a joy to watch?

7 more years of this at $6mil per?

C'mon fellas, I understand he is a solid defensive fwd, but you don't pay this kind of $$$ for a defensive fwd.

no you dont pay that much but for one game watching live i enjoyed what he did vs the leafs but what can you do.....the contract is done and we have to accept it at this point....it is what it is

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I would trade Zajac for Kane in a heartbeat. He'll only get better and is already a better player.

It probably wouldn't be straight up but I'm in. A gritty PF who can score 30 goals? Yea, I'll take him.

I'm surprised at how down people are on Zajac's trade value. Sure, the contract is burdensome, but there are other teams out there with a more complete and complimentary roster who would like to have a 2C like him. If the Devils can retain $1M his value is high...especially when you look at previous deadline deals. Who thought Jagr would bring back a 1ST? Or that Filip Forsberg would be dealt for Martin Erat and a nobody? Zajac has had some good years and is still young enough to interest teams.

Clowe on the other hand, is here for the duration unless bought out.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The Travis Zajac we've seen the last few games...I do not want to trade that guy.

It may not seem likely, but there is no question that, in the playoffs, you win with that guy.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I think Travis would be worth his contract at ~50 PTS a year. Unfortunately over the last 77 games he put up 30 PTS (10 goals).

Travis has a no trade clause and he is getting paid more than he is currently worth. I would put the odds he gets traded this year at .1%.

I think Lou should focus on trying to find a player that can play well with him. I don't think a Hemsky would work. Henrique maybe better fit with Hemsky.

The only player I see that may work is Gaborik this offseason. I think he could really help Zajac with production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad