Trade value

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I know it's early and there's a lot of hockey to play. If the Devils have turned the corner and keep this up, I'd love to see them get into the playoffs and we all know that anything can happen from there.

But, if the Devils find themselves on the outside looking in and make the decision to sell some pieces, how much (assuming he keeps this up) do you think Jagr can bring back? I know he was traded for young players and a conditional pick last year. Do you think he'll be worth the same this year? Would it help if a team wanted to do 'one-stop-shopping' with the Devils and pick up a veteran scorer in Jagr as well as a top-4 Dman (Fayne) to sweeten the return? Say....Jagr and Fayne to a team for a #1 pick and an A-level (top 100) prospect?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
too early to tell. if Jagr keeps a PPG-ish pace, more than if he doesnt

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I fully expect the team to be in the playoffs. But if not, I guess it is good to know we can get something back for a guy like Jagr, or Ryder, or Zid's.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
I don't think anyone we are willing to give up is worth a first, but we can end up with a hell of alot of 2nd rounders.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't think anyone we are willing to give up is worth a first, but we can end up with a hell of alot of 2nd rounders.

With the way we've been drafting in the 2nd round, I'd be more then happy if we happen to get two or three 2nd round picks instead of a one 1st round pick.

I'm being entirely serious here.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
With the way we've been drafting in the 2nd round, I'd be more then happy if we happen to get two or three 2nd round picks instead of a one 1st round pick.

I'm being entirely serious here.

It depends where the first round pick ends up. If its in the teens, you take the 1st every time.

The Devils' scouts don't have some magical skill that appears in the 2nd round and dissipates thereafter.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

It depends where the first round pick ends up. If its in the teens, you take the 1st every time.

The Devils' scouts don't have some magical skill that appears in the 2nd round and dissipates thereafter.

You don't say. I was under the impression that Conte and his staff had a crystal on their table and had first dibs as soon as the 2nd round would kick in.

All I'm saying is that I'd rather stock pile 2nd round picks, cause that's probably what we'll be getting for our pending UFA's anyways, instead of a single pick in the 1st round that will probably be in the mid 20's.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Playoffs shouldn't be a determining factor at the deadline in my opinion (Not this year anyway). This team needs assets and futures badly. More than ever before in my opinion.

Just looking up and down the roster you can see more than 50% of the players most likely wont be here in two years. This team needs a 3 or 4 year plan of restocking.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Playoffs shouldn't be a determining factor at the deadline in my opinion (Not this year anyway). This team needs assets and futures badly. More than ever before in my opinion.

Just looking up and down the roster you can see more than 50% of the players most likely wont be here in two years. This team needs a 3 or 4 year plan of restocking.

And that's why I'd rather stock up on 2nd rounders instead of a single pick in the 1st round. Add the fact that we have a surplus of forwards and blueliners, meaning that we can dump a couple of players like the Sharks did last year and still keep a "competitive" team.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
And that's why I'd rather stock up on 2nd rounders instead of a single pick in the 1st round. Add the fact that we have a surplus of forwards and blueliners, meaning that we can dump a couple of players like the Sharks did last year and still keep a "competitive" team.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/2082829/nhl-draft-pick-value-first-round

This chart is interesting.

Basically, if you can get a first in the mid to lower teens, it's worth more than every other pick in the draft combined.

Two picks in the 26-50 range is worth approximately one pick in the 14-25. Based on that, three 2nds would be preferable to one first, however I'd take one first over two 2nds.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/2082829/nhl-draft-pick-value-first-round

This chart is interesting.

Basically, if you can get a first in the mid to lower teens, it's worth more than every other pick in the draft combined.

Two picks in the 26-50 range is worth approximately one pick in the 14-25. Based on that, three 2nds would be preferable to one first, however I'd take one first over two 2nds.

Judging on our past selections, your stats don't mean anything.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Judging on our past selections, your stats don't mean anything.

What past selections are you referring to? Because if we go back a bit we had some picks in 03 and 04 in the mid to late first round that looked pretty good.

And if I recall we absolutely bombed in the 2nd rounds from 2001-2007.

We have many of the same scouts we did back then.

Did those scouts suddenly gain, then lose, then re-acquire skill in drafting in the 2nd round, while losing their first round drafting skill?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
What about prospects too? I'd take lower picks and prospects for some of our rentals. That way, it could be a quicker reboot, either by icing the young talent coming back or going into the offseason with assets to trade.

funetiklee

Mar 11, 2009
What past selections are you referring to? Because if we go back a bit we had some picks in 03 and 04 in the mid to late first round that looked pretty good.

And if I recall we absolutely bombed in the 2nd rounds from 2001-2007.

We have many of the same scouts we did back then.

Did those scouts suddenly gain, then lose, then re-acquire skill in drafting in the 2nd round, while losing their first round drafting skill?

in fact, our 10 2nd round draft picks prior to Gelinas have played a total of 68 NHL games.
While it's nice our farm system is stocked with some solid looking 2nd rounders they are still nothing more than prospects.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Trade value: Volchenkov

On the Trade Rumors board, there's a thread: Other: Every team's ''needs and overstock'' thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1526721

AfroThunder posted:

Need:
Picks
Forward prospects

Have:
Stay at home defensemen
Defensive prospects
Veterans (all positions)
Depth forwards

For Detroit, a Wings fan posted:

Needs:
Offensive Dman
Defensive Dman
To dump excess glutton of worthless forwards

Overstock:
Excess glutton of worthless forwards
(Samuelsson, Eaves, Tootoo, Cleary, and dman Quincey)

-------

I proposed:

To DET: Volchenkov

To NJ: Eaves, Cleary, 2014 #2

The Wings fan said he would make that deal in a heartbeat.

What do you guys think? Eaves and Cleary come off the books after this year, it clears the logjam at D, and we move the last two years of Volchenkov's deal for a 2nd Rd pick while picking up $1.3M in capspace at the same time.

Status Quo*

The trade value of Volch is a bag of hockey pucks and a half eaten bag of stale cheetos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad