Proposal: Trade Thread Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Need to consider it ! Not sure it would be my plan A but it's interesting

I agree. I'd hate to trade Brook but Rakell is a good winger for us IMO. We could trade Domi for futures after that to replace the 16th and Brook. Jets? 10th OA? Or keep Domi and unload Byron?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The 3,8m Cap hit is really interesting to for Rakell

For sure. Then you hope you can extend him after those 2 years. But I don't think we can fit both Rakell and Domi in. Byron would have to be moved. Or both Domi and Byron.

The most interesting thing about Rakell is go look at when his production slipped... it was around the same time as when Getzlaf numbers slipped. Right handed shot who has some center experience and solid size with goal scoring power.

Ducks tight against the cap too! They might bite on the 16th and Brook for sure

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
For sure. Then you hope you can extend him after those 2 years. But I don't think we can fit both Rakell and Domi in. Byron would have to be moved. Or both Domi and Byron.

The most interesting thing about Rakell is go look at when his production slipped... it was around the same time as when Getzlaf numbers slipped. Right handed shot who has some center experience and solid size with goal scoring power.

Ducks tight against the cap too! They might bite on the 16th and Brook for sure

That's the thing I like less about Rakell. I think he's a good complimentary player but I don't think he's a game changer

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
You are thinking top heavy teams. Look at the Islanders. Barzal, Nelson, Pageau. Pageau got 40 pts in 60 games with 24 goals. You think they are paying him $5M to not put up 50 pts next year? Some teams roll the lines more than others so don't overlook that. I would steer clear of trying to say you know more than Lou as a NHL GM

3rd line don't exist on the Habs IMO. We are not top heavy and we don't appear to be tracking to be that type of team. So rolling three 2nd lines is where it's at. Too many of our fans don't understand that
It seems like you're not even aware that your second paragraph is just a restatement of what I actually said. I said that "there is no such thing as a 50 point 3rd line center", and you counter with "3rd line don't exist on the Habs... rolling three second lines is where it's at".

So if you agree that teams that roll the lines don't have designated 3rd lines, why did you write all that stuff about Pageau and the Islanders?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That's the thing I like less about Rakell. I think he's a good complimentary player but I don't think he's a game changer

Rakell isn't a true line driver but he is a bonafide top line option and impacts the game more than just around the net. Without looking to verify I believe he was roughly top 40 in controlled zone entries among forwards league wide, definitely can help generate offense as more than just a shooter.

16th overall + Brook - a mid 1st seems like a decent starting point and the Ducks are pretty devoid of RHD prospects. If I'm correct that Brook has more upside to dream on than Juulsen or Fleury, he'd probably be a good target.

Reactions: le_sean

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
That's a non-answer.

Your original question(s) was would Danault be satisfied with top line money but a third line role and can the Habs afford that? Why isn't the question will Danault be satisfied with 2nd line money and could the Habs afford that?
My answer is I don't care if he wants to play for 2nd line money. The habs would be better off using that money to get a first or second line winger something we're in desperate need of. It makes no sense to pay Danault 2nd line money and give him 3rd line duties.

With Suzuki and KK the defensive duties can be shared. over the next few years. It might not work perfectly the first year but they will grow into the roles within the next couple of years. You give Domi the offensive role as everyone here assumes his defence is subpar which I believe it isn't. Choosing Domi over Danault gives us two more years to sort out our center situation. Also, I'm of the opinion KK will not be the offensive force every one is hoping for. I see him topping out as a better version of Danault.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
My answer is I don't care if he wants to play for 2nd line money. The habs would be better off using that money to get a first or second line winger something we're in desperate need of. It makes no sense to pay Danault 2nd line money and give him 3rd line duties.

With Suzuki and KK the defensive duties can be shared. over the next few years. It might not work perfectly the first year but they will grow into the roles within the next couple of years. You give Domi the offensive role as everyone here assumes his defence is subpar which I believe it isn't. Choosing Domi over Danault gives us two more years to sort out our center situation. Also, I'm of the opinion KK will not be the offensive force every one is hoping for. I see him topping out as a better version of Danault.
So a 70 point, 2way Center... That seems like what most people have said he could become.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Tampa Bay will make it happen and it might not be cheap. Gourde is playing 3 C because Stamkos is injured. If I am The Bolts, I keep Killorn.
You cant keep everyone if your Tempa... and need to sign Sergachev, Cirelli ... I would trade Stamkos but that is not easy. I think killorn would attract a lot of interests.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I didn't mean necessarily better point wise. I can see KK being a massive physical force something no one can accuse Danault of being.

Danault don't loose much puck battles and the guy bust his ass off like Gallagher on every shift. I think you are overlooking the value Danault brings beyond points. And the inexperience we would have at center without Danault and during good years of Price and Weber? Timing is not right to move Danault

Only two reasons why I would move Danault. We get an offer we can't refuse (Laine for example) or he is asking for $7M+. Both could be false.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You cant keep everyone if your Tempa... and need to sign Sergachev, Cirelli ... I would trade Stamkos but that is not easy. I think killorn would attract a lot of interests.

They would need to move more than Killorn. Think they need to move about $6M - $8M out and not take a contract back. Very curious to see what Tampa does.

I can see them asking McDonagh to waive his NTC. Not many talking about that possibility. Easier said than done but that also applies to others with full NTC's too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad