Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This bit really puzzles me. Feisty speedy wingers who create in high danger areas has been this team's catnip since Sully took over. Just because the last one who came here didn't work out doesn't change that. And that seems to be his game. Why wouldn't he fit?

I mean, I guess we could add Evan Rodrigues 2.0 to the roster, but my point was he wouldn’t fit with what Hextall has come out and said he wanted.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I mean, I guess we could add Evan Rodrigues 2.0 to the roster, but my point was he wouldn’t fit with what Hextall has come out and said he wanted.
1. This comparison is laughable. Garland and Rodrigues may both be small, but they don't play remotely the same way. Also, Rodrigues had never scored more than 9 goals in a season prior to this year, whereas Garland has scored double digits in all four years, including a high of 22.

2. Hextall plays things close to the vest. Take what he says publicly with a full shaker of salt.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
1. This comparison is laughable. Garland and Rodrigues may both be small, but they don't play remotely the same way. Also, Rodrigues had never scored more than 9 goals in a season prior to this year, whereas Garland has scored double digits in all four years, including a high of 22.

2. Hextall plays things close to the vest. Take what he says publicly with a full shaker of salt.

Neat. Garland still makes no sense here, is a smurf and is arguably not even a top six guy.

Nice piece, but doesn’t really fit the ask we are trying to fill.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Garland has been a bonafide top six winger for over a year now. Erod had an amazing 20 game stretch where he played 2C and on the PP. I don’t get the impulse to literally say anything to defend the position you’ve made lol.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The interesting things about all the rumors of Hextall being interested in adding a forward, and with term, is that it means the team is A. not happy with the thought of the supporting cast come playoff time (agreed wholeheartedly) and B. they're assuming that Rust is gone this summer. I don't think the team would go out and look for a longer-term guy up front with Geno and Letang unsigned if they thought Rust was realistically sticking around.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He’s a smurf that has put up 20 goals once.

Just like that bum Kunitz hadn’t done anything since he was with Andy McDonald and Selanne. He’s averaged something like .6 points per game over the last 3 seasons. Him being small could be an issue, or it could not be. I don’t know enough about his forechecking ability aside from the fact that his analytics are decent and he has a motor.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He’s a smurf that has put up 20 goals once.
Garland is an excellent 5v5 player.

1647294008963.png

If you're over 2.00 long term you're a top 6 lock, and a good one at that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I do have trouble imagining Garland is on this FO's radar though. With all the comments from Hexturke since arriving about wanting to shift to a bigger and more physical style--even if it'll be a gradual process--as well as wanting guys who are built more sturdy, even if they're not necessarily 6'2", sort of leads me to believe Garland wouldn't be a dude they'd be willing to specifically target.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
A balance of size, skill and speed. “Thick” players.

He didn’t say that, his comment on “thick players” was in response to notions of size, not something he was absolutely zeroing in on. The only guy that fits all those is JT Miller because players who have all that are generally stars or superstars.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A balance of size, skill and speed. “Thick” players.

Missed that then. Yeah, doesn't fit that. That said, they've been talking about adding size for a while and not doing it, so... *shrugs* eh, we'll see. If I had to put money, I'd guess not Vancouver. Maybe a swap with Chicago on Kubalik.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Missed that then. Yeah, doesn't fit that. That said, they've been talking about adding size for a while and not doing it, so... *shrugs* eh, we'll see. If I had to put money, I'd guess not Vancouver. Maybe a swap with Chicago on Kubalik.
Because he didn’t say that. He said in response to a question of size that “thickness and weight” is usually more important that height when it comes to size, and cites Crosby as the obvious example.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because he didn’t say that. He said in response to a question of size that “thickness and weight” is usually more important that height when it comes to size, and cites Crosby as the obvious example.

He specifically said if he could add he’d want to add two way hard nosed players and if they have size that’s preferred. He’s been making these comments about size for a year and his deals have involved adding Carter and McGinn who have size comparatively to our roster and dealing McCann.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
were these not the same numbers you were using to prove Kapanen would be a regular 50-60 pt player and a 70 pt player with better usage?
Kapanen completely falling apart was unpredictable. Kapanen was a good player until this season.

He has the hockey version of Steve Blass/Chuck Knoblauch disease. His failure is not indicative of other players suffering the same fate.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He specifically said if he could add he’d want to add two way hard nosed players and if they have size that’s preferred. He’s been making these comments about size for a year and his deals have involved adding Carter and McGinn who have size comparatively to our roster and dealing McCann.

McGinn is an inch shorter and 2 lbs heavier than McCann.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kapanen completely falling apart was unpredictable. Kapanen was a good player until this season.

He has the hockey version of Steve Blass/Chuck Knoblauch disease. His failure is not indicative of other players suffering the same fate.

Okay. Zucker put up 2.00 pts per 60 in 3 of the 5 seasons prior to being traded to PIT and put up those numbers in the 15 games here in 19-20.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I don't get how someone can use Kapanen as a "gotcha" here. If Kapanen would have continued what he did last year, the Penguins wouldn't need a top-6 forward and we wouldn't even be talking about this. We're talking about Garland because Kapanen has devolved into a shit player basically out of nowhere.

Garland is what Kapanen was supposed to be.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
McGinn is an inch shorter and 2 lbs heavier than McCann.

Reread my sentence. He specifically said if he could add he’d want to add two way hard nosed players and if they have size that’s preferred. He’s been making these comments about size for a year and his deals have involved adding Carter and McGinn who have size comparatively to our roster and dealing McCann.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I don't get how someone can use Kapanen as a "gotcha" here. If Kapanen would have continued what he did last year, the Penguins wouldn't need a top-6 forward and we wouldn't even be talking about this. We're talking about Garland because Kapanen has devolved into a shit player basically out of nowhere.

Garland is what Kapanen was supposed to be.

My point is more so about per 60 numbers rarely having effective translation to bigger roles. Especially considering Garland wouldn't likely see a bump in his 5v5 minutes being moved here.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Reread my sentence. He specifically said if he could add he’d want to add two way hard nosed players and if they have size that’s preferred. He’s been making these comments about size for a year and his deals have involved adding Carter and McGinn who have size comparatively to our roster and dealing McCann.

Yea, how about you read it, and get back to me on how McGinn is big and then find some quotes implying that he’s really stressing size. I would like Garland to be bigger but 5 on 5 he almost certainly plays bigger than Boeser who isn’t exactly a giant.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My point is more so about per 60 numbers rarely having effective translation to bigger roles. Especially considering Garland wouldn't likely see a bump in his 5v5 minutes being moved here.

I don't think Garland needs a huge bump in his usage to produce well enough, though.

If he's a 50 point guy here, that's great. Just like if Kapanen would have been a 50 point guy here, that would have been great.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad