Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think there's pretty much zero chance Rust sticks around. We wouldn't be looking for a forward with term (or the potential to re-sign) if we were gonna keep Rust around beyond this season, imo.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rust is all but gone unless they can get out of Zucker’s contract and good luck with that given he’s returning from core injury…

of the three forwards alleged to be available at the deadline from VAN, I would prefer Miller, Garland and then Boeser in that order…I also think that‘s the order of who’s the better player and better player for what we need (consistent scoring, position flexibility)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Penguins hoped Kapanen would be a skilled player with a bigger body in their top six who was defensively responsible.

I don’t see how Garland is close to that.

You're splitting hairs. The Penguins hoped Kapanen would be a speedy top-6 forward for them. He was that last year and for some of this year, but he has completely fallen off at this point. Garland is a speedy top-6 forward that has a contract that Kapanen likely would have demanded had he repeated what he did last year.

You're basically trading a heavily struggling Kapanen now for a very comparable player (in ability) to what Kapanen was last year. Or at least you hope Garland would be a very comparable player to what Kapanen was last year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think there's pretty much zero chance Rust sticks around. We wouldn't be looking for a forward with term (or the potential to re-sign) if we were gonna keep Rust around beyond this season, imo.

There are ways around that, though. That's not a definitive answer he'd be lost. It's shaking loose of contracts you don't need, specifically Zucker. That's a game changer right there alone.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
There are ways around that, though. That's not a definitive answer he'd be lost. It's shaking loose of contracts you don't need, specifically Zucker. That's a game changer right there alone.
Zucker's got basically no value at this stage, I'd wager. You're potentially looking at a Bjugstad situation with Zucker. I'd rather let Rust walk than to re-sign him to an awful contract in addition to eating some of Zucker's salary to move him off the team.

I'm not worried about losing Rust at all. He's pretty overrated around here, imo. The real issue is potentially losing Letang. If he walks, this team's absolutely cooked imo. Not that I think they're a contender anymore, but you can't even keep pretending once Letang leaves. Still imagine both the big guys get re-signed, but this is realistically the last hurrah.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rust is all but gone unless they can get out of Zucker’s contract and good luck with that given he’s returning from core injury…

of the three forwards alleged to be available at the deadline from VAN, I would prefer Miller, Garland and then Boeser in that order…I also think that‘s the order of who’s the better player and better player for what we need (consistent scoring, position flexibility)

I agree Zucker is the trump card.

We certainly disagree on order of players from Vancouver, and I know who's the one who's garnishing the highest ask. That there is a problem for a guy getting the Sid treatment he'd NEVER see here. He has the biggest outlook to look like a ghost coming here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Garland sounds like McCann, but at ES whereas McCann was a guy who seemed to feast on the PP iirc.

I don't know. Couldn't really care less if we ended up with Boeser, Garland, JT Miller (my preference but he'll be mucho expensive), Forsberg, etc.

Just do something. This team's a chore to watch when the top line isn't firing on all cylinders. Maybe we only get to the 2nd round, but give us some kind of entertainment. :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh I don't really care what sort of wing we get in as long as they have ability and click. We've had so many types of wingers in over the past few years and so few of them have clicked for 82 games. Tbh that feels like something worthy of a long forensic examination by the Front Office. But I'm not sure there's any guaranteed type to click. If I had to pick one I'd pick hard-working, smart, and refuses to be overawed... but how can you really be sure that's what you've got until you bring them in?

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Why wouldn’t we be looking for a winger even if Rust stuck around? Rust can still only fill one hole in our top-6. We need another top-6er no matter how you slice it. Kapanen is not it.

Malkin doesn’t have any wingers, and with Sully constantly suckling upon his GCR-engraved pacifier that isn’t changing without a trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You're splitting hairs. The Penguins hoped Kapanen would be a speedy top-6 forward for them. He was that last year and for some of this year, but he has completely fallen off at this point. Garland is a speedy top-6 forward that has a contract that Kapanen likely would have demanded had he repeated what he did last year.

You're basically trading a heavily struggling Kapanen now for a very comparable player (in ability) to what Kapanen was last year. Or at least you hope Garland would be a very comparable player to what Kapanen was last year.

I have no idea why Vancouver moves Garland for Kapanen.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Zucker's got basically no value at this stage, I'd wager. You're potentially looking at a Bjugstad situation with Zucker. I'd rather let Rust walk than to re-sign him to an awful contract in addition to eating some of Zucker's salary to move him off the team.

I'm not worried about losing Rust at all. He's pretty overrated around here, imo. The real issue is potentially losing Letang. If he walks, this team's absolutely cooked imo. Not that I think they're a contender anymore, but you can't even keep pretending once Letang leaves. Still imagine both the big guys get re-signed, but this is realistically the last hurrah.

I can see that scenario, but there is teams that need to hit the cap floor. You pay to get rid of cap space. Arizona Zucker and a 4th for a 7th kind of deal.

Not really big on retention. That was a JR deal, and Bjugstad was coming off that injury plagued season.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I agree on Letang. He can be bone headed at times and pretty brutal but he's a REALLY important part of this team. Give him the 5 years he wants, a few years it wont matter when Crosby/Malkin retire anyway and Letang is part of the rebuild.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's also remember Vancouver tossed a top 9 pick at Garland.

Jim Benning did that, not Jim Rutherford.

I don’t really see the value tbh. Seems like a Rutherford deal.

They save $1+ million by getting Kapanen they also get a guy who stylistically fits what they need on defense. JR also has said in the past that POJ can play RD.

Plus JR gets "his guy" and gets out of one of the long term contracts that Benning handed out that he had no consent in.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But why are they moving Garland?

Because Rutherford.

I probably wouldn't in their shoes, but I can see Rutherford doing it to free up some cap for fixing that defence.

I mean, end of the day, the rumours about us the Nucks have been going on pretty loud for a while, right? Maybe it's all journos going 2+2=5, but if they're not, it's because Rutherford wants to free up some cap and get some players in he likes. And he'll probably do so in a way that seems quite gung-ho.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because Rutherford.

I probably wouldn't in their shoes, but I can see Rutherford doing it to free up some cap for fixing that defence.

I mean, end of the day, the rumours about us the Nucks have been going on pretty loud for a while, right? Maybe it's all journos going 2+2=5, but if they're not, it's because Rutherford wants to free up some cap and get some players in he likes. And he'll probably do so in a way that seems quite gung-ho.

But getting Kapanen doesn’t save them money. They can easily move Garland for picks if they want to.

I don’t see any reason they want Kapanen for Garland. Kapanen + for Boeser makes sense because it legitimately saves cap.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jim Benning did that, not Jim Rutherford.

They save $1+ million by getting Kapanen they also get a guy who stylistically fits what they need on defense. JR also has said in the past that POJ can play RD.

Plus JR gets "his guy" and gets out of one of the long term contracts that Benning handed out that he had no consent in.

It doesn't matter "who" did it, it's the fact what they have invested. Which is some garbage players and a 2nd and 7th rounder on top of the 9OA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad