Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
well-waiting.gif

Sucked at the end in Carolina, had new life coming to the Pens. Maybe he will do good again with a change of scenery?

It is exactly what I want. We are already at a disadvantage having Sleepy and Bylsma here - I’ll take any advantage possible to counteract them.

Our trades are stuck in the software migration loop.

Sullivan and Hextall are positives here. They do all they can to give us an advantage. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it JR who brought in Jankowski, mr good for nothin? That wasn't Hextall.

Again you're gonna find out the hard way you never had it this good.

JR was awful after we won the cups. Post-2017 JR lost his marbles. You need to stop using him as a benchmark.

I think we will look back at this time as treading water. We had a GM that did nothing to make the team better or worse. He failed to push the team over the edge.

It’s obvious that we need to find a top 6 winger. Sully would be long gone if I was sleepy. On paper, when fully healthy, I think they should be able to win one or two rounds and then anything can happen.

ZAR shouldn’t have been qualified; Simon would be playing in Europe.

Queue the hot goalie excuse.

Truthfully if we somehow win the cup and ZAR is a fixture on the 4th line, I'll bet you'll still be complaining.

Sully will make sure we won’t find out if I would be mad.

Well, if you believe that then just roll over and give up. You'll likely never be happy. When we're a bottom dweller it'll be interesting to see if you're able to handle that. Cause that's our future. At least for a bit.

Maybe Sully will get injured like Reirden. That’s our only hope. Maybe Sleepy finds his kid’s pee wee coach to join the team.

OK, well that's all I got for you today. Wishing injury on our coach, well, you're clearly in need of some help or counseling.

Not hoping for it, but a new voice and a fresh set of eyes could do wonders. Maybe Sully wakes up and remembers how to coach players who aren’t fringe grinders. Maybe Sleepy and Burke knock some sense into him? One of the new owners could call him and say uhhhh, what are you doing, guy? I still have a shred of hope this current regime can change or at least wont be around forever.

Boeser had a rough play on a Matthew’s goal last night but was also first star.

Oloffson is interesting as a similar player to Boeser in the sense he’s one dimensional sniper with a high QO. Could be cheaper to acquire.

I think the Canucks might not sell.

Not sure what Hextall can do here. If assuming he keeps Zucker on LTIR until the playoffs, then Pens can add a top 6 or very good forward. If Rust and Kap are 2 RW's then either a very good RW for the 3rd line or a LW with Malkin is the priority. The problem is Oloffson may not be as good a defender that needs to be taken into account. Pens have to see where things stand with Letang and Malkin and Rust before I make a major deal here. I do think Letang will be here as will Malkin. But Pens need to split 16 million for both. Rust will get a offer that will be to hard to pass up. Hello Oilers.

I question why you get upset with “Sleepy” about Jankowski when he obviously identified that issue with Carter.

Let’s be patient and see what he does at the deadline. If we don’t acquire a top six winger and some are moved for peanuts, I’ll be happy to criticize him with you.

This team is near the league's top 5 in winning % despite not yet having a fully healthy roster this season. Blueger and Zucker returning will be big boost. DeSmith has rebounded from a horrible start (6-0-2 in his last 8 I believe). Friedman and Ruhwedel have played well, Matheson has improved and Joseph is pushing for a spot. I believe a depth player will be acquired and if Kapanen is moved for a different needed skill set, along with some cold hands regaining some scoring touch, this team could go far.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what Hextall does before/at the deadline. Hopefully he adds that scoring winger for Malkin's line and not just settles for another similar type we've already got a bunch of.

I'll say this -- I'd rather he stood pat and didn't give up any assets if the only plan is to add another 15-ish goal, 35-40 point winger. I'd just rather they go into the playoffs with what they already have rather than wasting a 1st for a guy who will frustrate us with their lack of consistent offense like our recent pickups.

I’m fine if we make a long term move to replace ZAR with a bigger bodied player. Outside of that I largely agree unless it’s swapping Kapanen for a better fit that is cost controlled.

amigos-selfie.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Meh. Probably won’t come cheap.
A lot cheaper than Boeser and it would really solidify our depth on Wing. I don't think he'll be overly costly to acquire. Lots of bigger fish out there. Cap hit at 2 mil.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A lot cheaper than Boeser and it would really solidify our depth on Wing. I don't think he'll be overly costly to acquire. Lots of bigger fish out there. Cap hit at 2 mil.

Probably costs a 2nd and is pretty much shittier Jared McCann with better defensive abilities.

I like him, just like.. not sure what he does for us. Another 5’11, two way guy who kinda scores.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Probably costs a 2nd and is pretty much shittier Jared McCann with better defensive abilities.

I like him, just like.. not sure what he does for us. Another 5’11, two way guy who kinda scores.
He's much more consistent and reliable defensively. I can see a 2hd rounder being the price though. But it adds depth and quality depth at that. And that'll push some guys out.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

I like everything about Jarnkrok more than I do McCann - except for the shot.
Better for Malkin? Yes. Also better than Kapanen? Yes. At least better than any version we’ve seen of Kappy this season. Weak side draws help too.

In a kinder world, he would instead be there instead of ZAR and McGinn Blue Jarnkrok would be an excellent line to put out there against opponents best.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jarnkrok strikes me as a Sullivan type of player. Consistent, versatile, reliable, good all around 200ft player with and without the puck. Over each of his last three seasons is above .50 points per game. Good speed, kinda struck me as pesky, certainly not a passenger. He would add quality to our bottom six. His playoff numbers could be better, that might be a draw back, but that's the type of incremental move Hextall could afford to make. He also could slide up if other guys like KK and ERod stay cold. At least that would afford us more options.

Last edited:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Comtois would be a nice cheap add IMO.

He was pacing for like 50 pts and 25 goals last year. I am not so sure he would come that cheap on a down year. I guess it depends on how you define cheap. Maybe close to a swap with Kap. Struggling for struggling.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He was pacing for like 50 pts and 25 goals last year. I am not so sure he would come that cheap on a down year. I guess it depends on how you define cheap. Maybe close to a swap with Kap. Struggling for struggling.

Enh, I don't think he's worth Kap coming off a hand surgery with the season he's had. And I'm no huge Kap fan.

There's struggling and then there's struggling.

Reactions: Darren McCord

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Comtois would be a nice cheap add IMO.

Ballsy here.....another streaky guy that would be a whipping boy favorite on his dry spells.

I'm saying this knowing what the responses would be but personally I like the guy and these are some of the players we should be looking at if on the cheap and hoping their skill/game evolves.

Expensive players are going to be hard to come by with where we sit.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Eh, close up the thread guys…nothing happening lol…

Brian Burke doesn't anticipate 'big or noisy' deadline move for Pens

Its our situation, knowing Burke I am sure e is doing his due diligence as he should be but really there is not much we can do except hockey moves.

Getting Zucker and Bluger back will be really nice. Other than that it is really just dependent on other teams interest in our players that we would be willing to move.

I would really like to see a backup that is more proven than DeSmith but end of the day Jarry is our horse and if he crashes not much we can do anyway.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We’ve known from the start we have no cap space and no assets. Not sure what you expect.

We’d need to do like a 1st and Kapanen for anything of significance and I just don’t see them shipping Kap out right now. Off-season maybe, but not deadline.
We have many here who don't understand or care about our cap constraints. Their expectations are pretty unrealistic.

Reactions: madinsomniac

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
i think that matty has improved enough that he is the kind of player that will wow a few scouts if they catch him on the right night. and maybe bring a big return. i still don't trust the guy even though he does look like a world beater at times. he really shouldn't play above the 3rd pairing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Am I wrong on this or do you delight in news you deem as ''bad''?

I’m somewhat sympathetic to this view although it sounds like Pens X in parts lol…at least the part about sucking vs mediocrity…this is a comment from a Pensburgh article discussing this Post Gazette article…lol

“I hope they are in the toilet next season with these clowns running the team. Burke and Hextall are just awful
Don’t re-sign Malkin. Don’t re-sign Letang. Don’t re-sign Rust. Let’s just suck and get the rebuild underway. Penguins front office will never make the necessary trades under Hextall and Burke. Just rebuild. Rebuilding is better than be in perpetual mediocrity; which is where Hextall is leading the Penguins.
This year Burke and Hextall cry about “cap space” Next year they’ll cry about the prospect pool being barren. It’s just never ending with these clowns.
Burke and Hextall consistently mention not trading away “future assets” WTF kind of talk is that? Who cares about future assets when you’re in win now mode.
So like I said, I’m sure I’ll get called a troll or whatever, but it’s best just to let Malkin, Letang, and Rust leave this off-season and just start the rebuild. Hextall clearly has no intention on going all in. It’s better just to suck than to be stuck in mediocrity”

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
According to xG the team is the bottom 3 in finishing in the league, and top 10 in like every other category. Since they’re probably playing the best goalie in the league in the playoffs, it’d be nice to get a sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad