Proposal: Trade thread #66

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
He can, I hope he does...

but if that is all we get, not good
KK needs to score , 20 plus goals a year, if not he is not a top 6 guy
His game is passing more than scoring, which is why he needs to be at centre and with better linemates than Armia & Lehkonen and the points will come.

Reactions: dinodebino

Locks

May 28, 2005
Here's a hot take. KK is our best centerman. He's been better than Suzuki for a good while and Danualt brings near zero offence threat. KK also been best on face offs and is a hitting machine while being one of the youngest players in the NHL. Once he's more established, fills out and confident, I see him as our no.1 center for years to come.

Good point. Without any doubt in my mind KK has been our best offensive centre lately and that despite playing a significant portion of the time with the likes of Byron and Lehkonen. And while I love Suzuki, he has not been a dominant player he was earlier in the season or in the bubble.
I think it is too early to anoint a #1 C of the future, I am just glad we have both of them. It's a far cry from the talent level of Plek, DD, Danault and whoever else played centre here in the last 10-15 years.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
Lol Tyler Bozak

Staal
Danault
Bozak

Just to make sure Suzuki and Kotkaniemi really don't get it, lmao.

I actually want em to do it.

This is Tyler Bozak who got in trouble in Toronto for dressing up in blackface multiple times?

Subban has gotta go because he raised too much money for a hospital, not good character...I see how important character is to Bergevin.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
3 deadline deals for the Habs:

I’d try for David Perron if you’re dealing with the Blues. Coming off a Stanley cup winning season, one year left on his deal, fits a need for some grit and scoring on the left side. He’s a PPG player this year on a not so great Blues team, and he’s a local boy coming home so there wouldn’t be a media circus when Drouin is dealt. Perron has a 3 team NTC which I doubt the Habs are on.

To Montreal: David Perron

To St Louis: Jonathan Drouin, 2021 1st round pick.

Habs get their veteran scorer with grit, while the Blues pick up a first rounder and a young left winger on a similar value contract (to replace Perron) with potential to turn things around. Both sides get some decent value.

Then go to the Devils and acquire Kulikov. UFA defenseman who has logged top pairing mins all season and by all accounts has done a fine job. Physical defenseman who can move the puck. He’s not flashy but we don’t need flashy. Just effective. Hilarious too because he’s played with Subban all year and would be playing with Weber.

I’d offer up the 2022 3rd round pick acquired in the Perron trade, and Brett Kulak.

To Montreal: Dimitry Kulikov

To New Jersey: 2022 3rd round pick (Blues), Kulak.

Final trade would be to acquire Sam Bennett from Calgary. I’ve floated the idea of a Bennett for Armia deal in the past and I think it works for both sides. Habs would add a 3rd round pick in 2021 to compensate for Armia being UFA.

To Montreal: Sam Bennett

To Calgary: Joel Armia and 2021 3rd round pick (Chicago).

Habs post trade deadline lineup:

Perron - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Toffoli
Bennett - Kotkaniemi - Perry
Byron - Staal - Evans

Kulikov - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Chiarot - Romanov

Price
Allen

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
According to Canadiens' insider Renaud Lavoie, that deal might be with the St. Louis Blues.
Lavoie reports that the Canadiens could end up pursuing both Tyler Bozak and Vince Dunn from the Blues.
Bozak would give the team some forward depth as we've already seen injuries to Josh Anderson and Tyler Toffoli this season and now Gallagher out until the playoffs. The 35 year old carries a modified no trade clause but is UFA after this season and can take a face off when needed as the team still continues to have some faceoff struggles.
Bozak doesnt make much sense, our injuries are at wing right now not center. While he can play wing too, with his cap hit, I'd prefer to target Dunn and a natural winger from the Blues.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Drouin + for Hall

same production this season.

Buffalo saves money this season, picks up an asset, and adds a top 6 player for next season (free agents will likely avoid). Optimistic, but if it really is a buyers market ...

Mtl banks on a change of scenery helping Hall and gets flexibility building next year’s roster.

.... then trade Kulak + for Dunn. (I’d rather move mete, but Kulak has similar cap to Dunn ).

I HIGHLY doubt either of those trades would happen (unless the plus was stupid from Montreal), although I'm in total agreement with the targets.

-Hall isn't really much of a goal scorer at this point in his career, but he is basically what fans hope Drouin can be at his best. He's a great play driver who brings value offensively. I'm not sure Montreal should target Hall generally, but if Drouin goes the other way, then it makes a lot more sense from a cap and roster management perspective.

-Dunn has really struggled with 2nd pair minutes/competition this season, which is a little concerning, but he's got a promising track record and he spends a lot of time playing with D like Scandella and Bortuzzo. I think he'd look a lot better next most of Montreal's D playing the right side. Most importantly, he'd be a PMD with upside that the coaching staff might let play in the top 4.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's just brutal the chances this guy gets, no accountability at all. never sits a game, never sits on the bench after useless shifts... Drouin gets the PP with impunity.

If you'd spend your summers watching movies with Ducharme, you too would enjoy the same privileges. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Habs

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Drouin and Harris 2021 1st for Comtois and Shattenkirk.

No interest at all in Shyttykirk; yes, he can move the puck but he's horrid everywhere else on the ice (and a RD)...last March when the wife and I were down in Florida visiting, caught the Bolts games against the Bruins & Habs and he was by far the worst Dman on the ice...not to mention how tiny he is; our seats were right behind the Bolts penalty box and when he took a penalty (in the 3rd I believe it was), I was almost looking at him eye to eye and I was sitting literally one step up from the box floor and he's on skates to make up for the difference...unfortunately we lost 4-0; however I did get to see Sergachev dummy Weber live, so it wasn't a total loss, I guess...

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
According to Canadiens' insider Renaud Lavoie, that deal might be with the St. Louis Blues.
Lavoie reports that the Canadiens could end up pursuing both Tyler Bozak and Vince Dunn from the Blues.
Bozak would give the team some forward depth as we've already seen injuries to Josh Anderson and Tyler Toffoli this season and now Gallagher out until the playoffs. The 35 year old carries a modified no trade clause but is UFA after this season and can take a face off when needed as the team still continues to have some faceoff struggles.
What would you expect Montreal to give for this deal? Is it possible Hoffman is targeted instead of Bozak? What would either pair of Dunn Hoffman/Bozak return?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
There’s a 90% chance we play the Leafs first round. I just don’t think we have enough firepower.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares

we don’t have anyone like that. Good thing there’s no 3 on 3 in playoffs. We need a shutdown defenceman and a game breaker with speed.

While I don’t think Taylor Hall is the answer but he’s the only one that is on the market with that game breaking speed. Most of our players are slow so keeping up could be an issue. Another guy I see is Jeff Carter. He’s still fast. On defence aside from Ekholm, I don’t think any capable shutdown defenceman is available.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
There’s a 90% chance we play the Leafs first round. I just don’t think we have enough firepower.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares

we don’t have anyone like that. Good thing there’s no 3 on 3 in playoffs. We need a shutdown defenceman and a game breaker with speed.

While I don’t think Taylor Hall is the answer but he’s the only one that is on the market with that game breaking speed. Most of our players are slow so keeping up could be an issue. Another guy I see is Jeff Carter. He’s still fast. On defence aside from Ekholm, I don’t think any capable shutdown defenceman is available.

Bargain Bin and Ducharme have the Secret Weapon: Braindead Ben to the rescue...:cry:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
At the time of the Pacioretty deal, I was ecstatic to get a great C prospect like Suzuki, a 2nd, and a roster player like Tatar. That was my opinion.

Gaudreau for a 1st, Fleury, and Drouin is a horrible trade for Calgary, in my opinion.

The two aren't even in the same stratosphere. You don't trade a talent like Gaudreau for a bunch of mediocre assets. A 13th overall center that is progressing well isn't in the same universe as a pick outside the lottery in a bad draft. If you take off your hat that is trying to fleece the Flames you'll see that.

Guhle gets you closer. But defensive dmen with only so much offensive upside don't have as much value as centers with offensive upside.

If you were the Flames GM, would you trade Gaudreau for our 1st, Fleury, and Drouin?

If I were the Flames GM, i wouldn't have hired Sutter... nor would I be trading Gaudreau.

If I were the Flames GM intent on trading Gaudreau because my new long term coach and him weren't going to work together and I wanted to get assets back, I'd trade him for best return possible.

as i already identified, i don't feel there will be an offer out there much better than 1st/Fleury/Drouin for Gaudreau @ 6.75M.

will they retain salary to get a better return? maybe.
will they need to take on a similarly mediocre contract like Drouin's? likely.
will they get better net assets than a 1st & Fleury without the above? doubt it.

Last edited:

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
3 deadline deals for the Habs:

I’d try for David Perron if you’re dealing with the Blues. Coming off a Stanley cup winning season, one year left on his deal, fits a need for some grit and scoring on the left side. He’s a PPG player this year on a not so great Blues team, and he’s a local boy coming home so there wouldn’t be a media circus when Drouin is dealt. Perron has a 3 team NTC which I doubt the Habs are on.

To Montreal: David Perron

To St Louis: Jonathan Drouin, 2021 1st round pick.

Habs get their veteran scorer with grit, while the Blues pick up a first rounder and a young left winger on a similar value contract (to replace Perron) with potential to turn things around. Both sides get some decent value.

Then go to the Devils and acquire Kulikov. UFA defenseman who has logged top pairing mins all season and by all accounts has done a fine job. Physical defenseman who can move the puck. He’s not flashy but we don’t need flashy. Just effective. Hilarious too because he’s played with Subban all year and would be playing with Weber.

I’d offer up the 2022 3rd round pick acquired in the Perron trade, and Brett Kulak.

To Montreal: Dimitry Kulikov

To New Jersey: 2022 3rd round pick (Blues), Kulak.

Final trade would be to acquire Sam Bennett from Calgary. I’ve floated the idea of a Bennett for Armia deal in the past and I think it works for both sides. Habs would add a 3rd round pick in 2021 to compensate for Armia being UFA.

To Montreal: Sam Bennett

To Calgary: Joel Armia and 2021 3rd round pick (Chicago).

Habs post trade deadline lineup:

Perron - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Toffoli
Bennett - Kotkaniemi - Perry
Byron - Staal - Evans

Kulikov - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Chiarot - Romanov

Price
Allen
Drouin and a 1st is way too steep for me no thanks

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin and a 1st is way too steep for me no thanks

IF, a big IF, we're serious about contending NOW, we would be in a much better position if we cleared our bad contracts off the cap. We could then use that cap space to sign players. We just got Toffoli this offseason for 4M. What could we get with Drouin's 5.5M? What could we get with the combined 5M Armia and Lehkonen make? What could we get with the 3.4M Byron makes? Add all those up and we have 13.9M in cap space. Replace Armia and Lehkonen with two 700k 4th liners, and we have 12.5M to spend on two players to replace Byron and Drouin.

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad