Proposal: Trade thread #66

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If I were the Flames GM, i wouldn't have hired Sutter... nor would I be trading Gaudreau.

If I were the Flames GM intent on trading Gaudreau because my new long term coach and him weren't going to work together and I wanted to get assets back, I'd trade him for best return possible.

as i already identified, i don't feel there will be an offer out there much better than 1st/Fleury/Drouin for Gaudreau @ 6.75M.

will they retain salary to get a better return? maybe.
will they need to take on a similarly mediocre contract like Drouin's? likely.
will they get better net assets than a 1st & Fleury without the above? doubt it.

ok, no worries. We disagree on what Gaudreau will yield as a return on the open trade market

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Shame Berg couldn't convince his old friends in Chicago to take on our garbage like Florida did.

that sets the ball park cost to move Byron... borgstrom (recent 1st doing well abroad) as the cost to move connolly's contract.

so norlinder? would ppl be willing to part with a prospect in that vein as the cost to get out from Byron's contract? feels like a lot :dunno:

Reactions: Vachon23

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
IF, a big IF, we're serious about contending NOW, we would be in a much better position if we cleared our bad contracts off the cap. We could then use that cap space to sign players. We just got Toffoli this offseason for 4M. What could we get with Drouin's 5.5M? What could we get with the combined 5M Armia and Lehkonen make? What could we get with the 3.4M Byron makes? Add all those up and we have 13.9M in cap space. Replace Armia and Lehkonen with two 700k 4th liners, and we have 12.5M to spend on two players to replace Byron and Drouin.

Problem is no one is taking on the brutal contracts that Bargain Bin has handed out to the likes of Paul Byron and no one wants Drouin...takes two to Tango, unfortunately...

Reactions: angusyoung

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
IF, a big IF, we're serious about contending NOW, we would be in a much better position if we cleared our bad contracts off the cap. We could then use that cap space to sign players. We just got Toffoli this offseason for 4M. What could we get with Drouin's 5.5M? What could we get with the combined 5M Armia and Lehkonen make? What could we get with the 3.4M Byron makes? Add all those up and we have 13.9M in cap space. Replace Armia and Lehkonen with two 700k 4th liners, and we have 12.5M to spend on two players to replace Byron and Drouin.
The thing is even with 12.5m you get who?
Also you gotta sign Tatar and Danault once again to keep the circle of mediocrity? Because they will want ,more money that they have right now so ur 12.5m is already shredding.

They are 2 really good ufa that I see this offseason , Gabriel Landeskog and Dougie Hamilton , the rest are goalies or 33+ year olds players mostly.
Colorado will free up close to 19m to re-sign Landeskog and Carolina will get close to 17m to re-sign Hamilton.

It's not like the options to sign one is really there. Also I did not include Taylor Hall because it's an incoming disaster.

The only real way to make this team good , is to draft them or make an heavy trade where we lose real assets to acquire a big need.

I don't even know if Bergevin will make that much of a move until deadline , I will laugh hard if we get a Hoffman/Bozak player or like Kulikov , Montour type of player. More scraps and useless players that won't be there for more than 30games.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The thing is even with 12.5m you get who?
Also you gotta sign Tatar and Danault once again to keep the circle of mediocrity? Because they will want ,more money that they have right now so ur 12.5m is already shredding.

They are 2 really good ufa that I see this offseason , Gabriel Landeskog and Dougie Hamilton , the rest are goalies or 33+ year olds players mostly.
Colorado will free up close to 19m to re-sign Landeskog and Carolina will get close to 17m to re-sign Hamilton.

It's not like the options to sign one is really there. Also I did not include Taylor Hall because it's an incoming disaster.

The only real way to make this team good , is to draft them or make an heavy trade where we lose real assets to acquire a big need.

I don't even know if Bergevin will make that much of a move until deadline , I will laugh hard if we get a Hoffman/Bozak player or like Kulikov , Montour type of player. More scraps and useless players that won't be there for more than 30games.

I don't think Tatar-Danault-Gallagher are a mediocre 3rd line. I think they're an excellent 3rd line. Then you have on the first two lines Anderson, Toffoli, Suzuki, KK, and Caufield. There is room for 1 more forward. How much of the 12.5 will it take to give Danault and KK a raise (Tatar comes back at about the same salary)? about 2 million each. That leaves about 8.5M.

I would try Hall at the deadline to see how he fits - he will come at a low expense, a 2nd +. But when you have cap space in a flat cap era, there will be bargains, especially on the wing or on D that come up. But I agree, forgoing draft picks in one year is a sacrifice.

Hall used to be a really fast, really shifty playmaker with size. If he can get back to being that, and accept a 3 year deal in this market, he'd be nice opposite Caufield

Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Hall Kotkaniemi Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
No interest at all in Shyttykirk; yes, he can move the puck but he's horrid everywhere else on the ice (and a RD)...last March when the wife and I were down in Florida visiting, caught the Bolts games against the Bruins & Habs and he was by far the worst Dman on the ice...not to mention how tiny he is; our seats were right behind the Bolts penalty box and when he took a penalty (in the 3rd I believe it was), I was almost looking at him eye to eye and I was sitting literally one step up from the box floor and he's on skates to make up for the difference...unfortunately we lost 4-0; however I did get to see Sergachev dummy Weber live, so it wasn't a total loss, I guess...
Yes,i am not a big fan of Shattenkirk either but need to take a contact back he did play pretty well for Bolts in the playoffs at least he's got a ring.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
With Montreal looking more and more to play the Figs in the first round, the worst thing to get would be lightweights.

To beat the Figs, you need to taylor the match up with physical players. The Pat Quinn vs Hens formula.

I know it's not a popular opinion here, but we need to get one PMD on the left, but more sandpaper up front. And use the last games against the Figs to get the message through.

I know I won't win any popularity contests here, but that's been the proven formula to beat the Figs in a series.

We will NEVER be able to beat them talent for talent. But we can sure as hell beat them down over a series with physicality. This Figs squad, aside from one guy, is soff as butter.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
With Montreal looking more and more to play the Figs in the first round, the worst thing to get would be lightweights.

To beat the Figs, you need to taylor the match up with physical players. The Pat Quinn vs Hens formula.

I know it's not a popular opinion here, but we need to get one PMD on the left, but more sandpaper up front. And use the last games against the Figs to get the message through.

I know I won't win any popularity contests here, but that's been the proven formula to beat the Figs in a series.

We will NEVER be able to beat them talent for talent. But we can surr as hell beat them down over a series with physicality. This Figs squad, aside from one guy, is soff as butter.

If somehow Bargain Bin could outbid Florida/Leafs/Jets, having a Savard on the back end and a Foligno up front would help a lot in the Playoffs...not the PMD we need, but Savard could help lighten the load on Weber defensively and Slick Nick would be like having a Supersized Gallagher in the tough areas up front...wish list, but it would help...

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
If somehow Bargain Bin could outbid Florida/Leafs/Jets, having a Savard on the back end and a Foligno up front would help a lot in the Playoffs...not the PMD we need, but Savard could help lighten the load on Weber defensively and Slick Nick would be like having a Supersized Gallagher in the tough areas up front...wish list, but it would help...
Foligno, I like.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

We will NEVER be able to beat them talent for talent. But we can sure as hell beat them down over a series with physicality. This Figs squad, aside from one guy, is soff as butter.

So you're advocating thuggery? which I'm fine with BTW. Come the PO's the Habs already have more than the Leafs, just no need to implement it at this juncture as they most assuredly will make the PO's.
Habs need to find a solution to score with more ease,which seems to be the case year after year.imo

Reactions: Runner77

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don't think Tatar-Danault-Gallagher are a mediocre 3rd line. I think they're an excellent 3rd line. Then you have on the first two lines Anderson, Toffoli, Suzuki, KK, and Caufield. There is room for 1 more forward. How much of the 12.5 will it take to give Danault and KK a raise (Tatar comes back at about the same salary)? about 2 million each. That leaves about 8.5M.

I would try Hall at the deadline to see how he fits - he will come at a low expense, a 2nd +. But when you have cap space in a flat cap era, there will be bargains, especially on the wing or on D that come up. But I agree, forgoing draft picks in one year is a sacrifice.

Hall used to be a really fast, really shifty playmaker with size. If he can get back to being that, and accept a 3 year deal in this market, he'd be nice opposite Caufield

Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Hall Kotkaniemi Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher
You can't pay over $16 mil on a 3rd line tho

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Can someone correct my math...

with Gallagher on LTIR would we not be able to fit Hall (50% retained) without losing a player (other than maybe putting a player or 2 on the taxi squad for a few games)?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Hall Kotkaniemi Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher
We are not keeping a full top 9 roster for next season forget it , this year is special due to Gallagher contract , Danault , KK and Suzuki being at 950k a year.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
A left PMD to pair w Weber is a must IMO, allowing to slot Chiarot down on 2nd pair w Weber and Edmundson on 3rd pair w Romanov on right side.

Since the Hanifin’s of the world are a pipe dream as deadline moves Kulikov/ Murray would serve the purpose. Getting NJD to eat 50% would also potentially allow the acquisition of a Foligno if again CBJ were to also eat $

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Bergevin did that once.

We got Ott, King and Martinsen

We know what happened next...

(At least Foligno can actually play the game)

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
So you're advocating thuggery? which I'm fine with BTW. Come the PO's the Habs already have more than the Leafs, just no need to implement it at this juncture as they most assuredly will make the PO's.
Habs need to find a solution to score with more ease,which seems to be the case year after year.imo
You need to hit them often. Often. Play it rough. Remember the game where Nostrils complained about the way Habs were playing? We need that. There is no other way to get them out of their comfort zone.
We need to get into their heads with physicality.
Guys like Byron, 62 and Evans have no place for that. We need sandpaper.
There is no other formula. There isn't really.
Look at how Scorey Perry got under the Figs' skin yesterday. THAT is how you do it.

Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are not keeping a full top 9 roster for next season forget it , this year is special due to Gallagher contract , Danault , KK and Suzuki being at 950k a year.

What do you mean forget it? KK isn't getting more than a 2.4M raise (Lehkonen's Salary). Danault isn't getting more than a 2.6M raise (armia's salary). that leaves 7.9M left... take out 1.4M to replace Lehkonen and Armia with two 700k 4th liners (there will be a ton of good one's in this covid market), and you have 6.5M to spend on that last winger for the top 9. How does that not work?

Note, next year KK will be around 3M, but Suzuki and Caufield (and Romanov) will still be on entry level contracts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can't pay over $16 mil on a 3rd line tho

Sure you can when you don't have $10M players on your top line.

And again, this is the scenario where you cleared out Byron, Armia, and Lehkonen (i.e. 8.4 Million) from your 4th line. So you go with a 4th line where everybody's making close to the minimum, such as Frolik-Evans-Perry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad