Proposal: Trade Thread #65

If you could get Hall with an extension, what's the maximum number of years you would extend him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Id do Suzuki, Caufield, and first for Eichel. It sounds like they’re looking for a package of 4 first rounders or players who were first rounders so I think that’s pretty close if we could somehow make his $10 million fit.
I would too. He’d be a top 5 nhl center outside of Buffalo on a half decent team, especially post trade when he’s super motivated.

Reactions: abo9

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Id do Suzuki, Caufield, and first for Eichel. It sounds like they’re looking for a package of 4 first rounders or players who were first rounders so I think that’s pretty close if we could somehow make his $10 million fit.
They are looking for player 4 player who where 1st rounder ?

Danault + Armia + Frolik + 1st pick 2021 ! Can even add Perry if they want an other ex 1st rounder!

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Swap out Suzuki and replace with KK. Try to do it without CC. I’d do KK, 2 1sts and a prospect other than CC. Probably not enough.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Swap out Suzuki and replace with KK. Try to do it without CC. I’d do KK, 2 1sts and a prospect other than CC. Probably not enough.

These kind of centers don’t become available often, if ever. We’d have to give up pieces we don’t want too. I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked for Romanov on top of Suzuki and Caufield because they’re taking all the risk with unproven players but that’s where talks would be off for me.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

If you really want Eichel, you will need to be ready to trade both. It’s gonna be a bidding war if they really trade Eichel and you won’t have the choice to accept what Buffalo want.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I would rather see Eichel playing with Caufield- but not in Buffalo
So basically ANY prospect except CC & Guhle, but not Suzuki & KK, only one of those not both + anybody(s) else

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If you really want Eichel, you will need to be ready to trade both. It’s gonna be a bidding war if they really trade Eichel and you won’t have the choice to accept what Buffalo want.
I think I would prefer Barkov to be honest. Almost same age. Much more complete as a player and to be honest, I think he come cheaper because he is soon to be UFA. You do the deal during the summer and resign him. Probably also won’t cost you 10M$ per like Eichel.

suzuki, Guhle, 2 x 1st and cap coming their way(Byron)

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

I agree the price will be very high. Id be ok with KK picks and a prospect. Perhaps CC but I’d rather not but it’s hard to turn down Eichel.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
These kind of centers don’t become available often, if ever. We’d have to give up pieces we don’t want too. I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked for Romanov on top of Suzuki and Caufield because they’re taking all the risk with unproven players but that’s where talks would be off for me.

Yep, Eichel is a bonafide #1. Rather give up Kk than NS.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm not quite getting how these Eichel proposals make any sense cap-wise...

No money going back + shipping off both roster player(s) on ELC/RFA cheap contracts AND top prospects closest to contributing while cost-controlled... Just not realistic for a cap spending team.

Serious money would have to go the other way, and hard to see buffalo accepting pure cap dumps.

One angle I could see working is including Weber. They clearly need culture change, and the leadership narrative around Weber might (stress might... If they look closer at how little that narrative played out in practice for us, no dice) be of value to them.

Pegula seeing how the Bills successfully re built things with the character/long term focus could help.

Poehling, CC, Harris/Fleury, Weber, 1st & 2nd... Something like that could work for both sides. We'd have to bank on our d prospect depth materializing, but running Eichel/JKO/Suzuki down the middle for next 3-5yrs @15-18M against the cap would be a great situation to work from.

Anderson, Drouin, Gallagher, Toffoli, Lekhonen (+ Ylonen, Teasdale) and 1 or 2 saavy Ufa signings should be enough to round out the fwd group.

Petry, Romanov, Edmundson/Chia, would need help, but patience & cap increase in 2-3 yrs + 1 or 2 of Guhle/Brook/Norlinder/Strubble/Leskinen/Fleury growing into a top 4 caliber pro would do it.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
For Eichel or Barkov nobody is untouchable for the Habs

Obviously not but I think it becomes "how much is available"? Do you trade CC - Suz - KK - Guhle? I'm all for giving a lot for an Eichel-type but even I can see how that could have negative consequences like making us Buffalo 2.0

I think one of our top prospects at each position would be fine. Something like Suzuki - CC - Guhle/Romanov - 1st.
It would sting, and I'm super excited to see how Caufield turns out, but I believe that it's much easier to surround an Eichel (we have the team already there) than it is to find players like Eichel to elevate our team.

LD would still be a problem though so that sucks

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm not quite getting how these Eichel proposals make any sense cap-wise...

No money going back + shipping off both roster player(s) on ELC/RFA cheap contracts AND top prospects closest to contributing while cost-controlled... Just not realistic for a cap spending team.

Serious money would have to go the other way, and hard to see buffalo accepting pure cap dumps.

One angle I could see working is including Weber. They clearly need culture change, and the leadership narrative around Weber might (stress might... If they look closer at how little that narrative played out in practice for us, no dice) be of value to them.

Pegula seeing how the Bills successfully re built things with the character/long term focus could help.

Poehling, CC, Harris/Fleury, Weber, 1st & 2nd... Something like that could work for both sides. We'd have to bank on our d prospect depth materializing, but running Eichel/JKO/Suzuki down the middle for next 3-5yrs @15-18M against the cap would be a great situation to work from.

Anderson, Drouin, Gallagher, Toffoli, Lekhonen (+ Ylonen, Teasdale) and 1 or 2 saavy Ufa signings should be enough to round out the fwd group.

Petry, Romanov, Edmundson/Chia, would need help, but patience & cap increase in 2-3 yrs + 1 or 2 of Guhle/Brook/Norlinder/Strubble/Leskinen/Fleury growing into a top 4 caliber pro would do it.

They want futures. They fully intend to blow things up from the sounds of it. Suzuki or Kohtkaniemi is as good as gone in a trade for Eichel. As far as how we make it work cap wise, I’m not sure. It’s tricky when you’re trading for expensive players with the basis not being around a swap of players of similar price and trade value.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They want futures. They fully intend to blow things up from the sounds of it. Suzuki or Kohtkaniemi is as good as gone in a trade for Eichel. As far as how we make it work cap wise, I’m not sure. It’s tricky when you’re trading for expensive players with the basis not being around a swap of players of similar price and trade value.

I get that, though I bet this offseason we'll see them target 1-2 established vets with strong leadership reputations (wether they move Eichel or not).

Weber strikes me as the type (if not the right fit, especially given cap/decline issues) they'll target.

Another, provided he's healthy, could be someone like Toews...

Toews + Dach or Boqvist/pick for Eichel would be a tough package to beat

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
I honestly dont think id move Suzuki or JK at this point. I know, i know, no one is untouchable and if a guy like Eichel or Barkov came available you'd have to really think hard about it but, for example, those suggesting Barkov for JK + I understand that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush but JK has nearly identical numbers to Barkov when he was this age. Will JK improve at the same rate as Barkov? Impossible to say, but right now we have the younger, cheaper asset... im not sure i make that deal despite how good Barkov is.

I think Eichel is a little bit different because on a decent team i think he's probably a 90-100 point player. Those do not come available very often. Right now we have a tandem that we hope will one day be Koivu-Plekanec, but if you added Eichel & had to give up one of Suzuki or JK then you will have an elite #1 and a top end #2. Thats obviously much more appealing - but its going to take at least 1 more key piece on top of that (CC, Romanov, Norlinder etc).

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I get that, though I bet this offseason we'll see them target 1-2 established vets with strong leadership reputations (wether they move Eichel or not).

Weber strikes me as the type (if not the right fit, especially given cap/decline issues) they'll target.

If the Sabres wanted Weber in an Eichel trade, I'd carry him on my damn back all the way to Buffalo...that in itself would be an epic win for the Habs...

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017

Not sure, but if Toews has no protection clauses on his contract, I think it’s more likely he’d retire before playing for Buffalo (given that his health is shaky at best)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I’m obviously going off of just what I’ve read. It seems like Buffalo wants to blow it up. It seems they want a large package of top end youngsters for Eichel as opposed to veterans. They can get leadership guys for cheaper. If that’s true, Weber doesn’t provide much for them. Watching him play this year, he will no doubt retire once his contract hits $1 million which means Buffalo would get 1 year out of him which isn’t much if any value to them, even if he could play above a top 4 role in the short term which he can’t. Weber’s on his final legs. I doubt he goes anywhere unless it’s to Nashville to help them out with the cap recapture they’ll face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad