Proposal: Trade Thread #65

If you could get Hall with an extension, what's the maximum number of years you would extend him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I’d try to get Adam Gaudette out of Vancouver. A 6”1 center with a good offensive pedigree and potential who’s shown flashes but hasn’t really but it all together yet. Still only 24 but stuck behind Horvat and Peterson. Perfect change of scenery guy as he doesn’t really seem to be in Vancouver long term plans and might be available for cheap.
Maybe straight up for Lehkonen?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Vatanen or Montour would be nice to pick up and have chiarot on the third pairing with one of them both of which are RHD but can play either side.

Romanov Weber
Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Vatanen/Montour

Plus Romanov seems way more physical and comfortable on his regular side.

I'd only lean toward Vatanen more as maybe bergevin could try to get a package of Wood + Vatanen.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Last week, when Bergy was showing his poker face, we all realize that's what it was.........
So now the question is, does he tweak the lineup or try for a home run??

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Last week, when Bergy was showing his poker face, we all realize that's what it was.........
So now the question is, does he tweak the lineup or try for a home run??

With Chiarot gone for a month and Toffoli for who knows how long, I would expect just a tweak. They can’t afford trading any big time players without sacrificing salary, and because of the injuries they also can’t afford to take anyone out of the starting lineup to make the cap work.

They really needed to win one of those Calgary back to back games in regulation to force the Flames into selling. Ottawa doesn’t have anyone worthwhile, though I do like Ryan Dzingel but the last thing the Habs need is another winger.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm a Preds fan, and I listened to the podcast because I was like Caulfield, yes please, but I think the rumor was overstated. Here's the actual text:

Thanks for the share. I’d be pretty pumped if they move Tatar for something and use some of those assets to get Ekholm. Caufield comes in to replace Tatar.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Thanks for the share. I’d be pretty pumped if they move Tatar for something and use some of those assets to get Ekholm. Caufield comes in to replace Tatar.

Moving Tuna would be great but it's going to be a heavy lift and his history of playoff performances won't help...if Ghostioretty is out long-ish term, selling him back to Vegas would be hilarious...:laugh:

Reactions: abo9

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Well if there was a time to do a trade, today would be the day. With the habs having a game postponed, and a chance that more would be, it might be a time to have the acquisition miss less games.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's 30, having the most productive year offensively (ppg) of his career, 2nd in ice time and signed for another year at 5.5M/per...

No chance in hell Lou would do that trade lol

Especially since Anders Lee is on LTIR so they can add without giving up a roster player.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Especially since Anders Lee is on LTIR so they can add without giving up a roster player.

Indeed...
If they are interested in Tatar, I'd be asking for Bellows & Bolduc, two prospects they can easily justify moving for a rental.

Bellows is close to NHL ready & would be a good fit to compete for a top-9 LW spot next year, Bolduc is further away but a large bodied mobile LD that Bouchard knows well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I didn't see the original post by @GoldOnGold. I now realize it was from the Caufield thread.

I'll reprise the gyst here for those who like me, had not seen it:

Elliotte: I will say this, I don't know what he's going to end up doing, I really don't, but there are people out there who refuse to believe that he hasn't seriously thought about Ekholm. They just don't believe it. Because he can do it - he'd have to move money out, but he's got the picks, he's got the prospects, he can do it.

Jeff: I know it's a go for it year for the Montreal Canadiens and Bergevin - we saw this with all the signings in the offseason, we saw this with the trades as well. When you look at the prospects Montreal has put together, and that's headlined by Cole Caulfield, who's going to win the Hobey Baker...

(Elided a bit about Wisconsin and the Baker)

25:55

Jeff: I think Montreal Canadians fans are excited about Cole Caulfield, but you know, if you're David Poile, and you want a prospect as part of the package, that's who you're asking for. Essentially I'm asking how untouchable do you think Cole Caulfield is in a situation where the Montreal Canadians are in a "we have to go for it" season?

Elliotte: I gotta think pretty close. ...

Full post here: Prospect Info: - Cole Caufield (Part 9)

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
*This is pure fantasy speculation - not in any way going to happen*

I saw this hypothetical on Twitter. Would you do this?

Suzuki, Guhle, 1st, Drouin for Werenski and Laine.

I think I would. Suzuki pretty much equals Werenski and the rest equals Laine. You have to think Laine’s value’s tanked in the past little while considering how he’s played in CBJ. It also gives Columbus a young 1C in Suzuki. The upside for us would be that Laine regains form. Obviously Werenski is the stud LD we’ve been looking for.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

I think I would. Suzuki pretty much equals Werenski and the rest equals Laine. You have to think Laine’s value’s tanked in the past little while considering how he’s played in CBJ. It also gives Columbus a young 1C in Suzuki. The upside for us would be that Laine regains form. Obviously Werenski is the stud LD we’ve been looking for.

No...cuz it means 20+ minutes a night of Danault for the foreseeable future...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

No way, and then what do we do at center? No way, I'd rather take my chances and hope that Caufield becomes a mini Laine at a much cheaper rate for 3 seasons!!

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
No way, and then what do we do at center? No way, I'd rather take my chances and hope that Caufield becomes a mini Laine at a much cheaper rate for 3 seasons!!
Yeah second look, there’s no way we could move Suzuki. Having KK/Suzuki at 20 and 21 down the middle is massive. We haven’t had that in 20 years. The only way you would move either is an upgrade at C in a package deal for Eichel.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Yeah second look, there’s no way we could move Suzuki. Having KK/Suzuki at 20 and 21 down the middle is massive. We haven’t had that in 20 years. The only way you would move either is an upgrade at C in a package deal for Eichel.

Eichel or even Dubois a couple of weeks back. But ya, you need a franchise type center back in return or those 2 aren't going anywhere

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Don't see Bergevin liking Laine at all. He's a slacker with a great shot.

Reactions: Habs Icing

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm a Preds fan, and I listened to the podcast because I was like Caulfield, yes please, but I think the rumor was overstated. Here's the actual text:

23:48 - Montreal stuff starts

(The gist is that nobody believes Bergevin is going to sit on his hands and do nothing)

24:36

Elliotte: I will say this, I don't know what he's going to end up doing, I really don't, but there are people out there who refuse to believe that he hasn't seriously thought about Ekholm. They just don't believe it. Because he can do it - he'd have to move money out, but he's got the picks, he's got the prospects, he can do it.

Jeff: I know it's a go for it year for the Montreal Canadiens and Bergevin - we saw this with all the signings in the offseason, we saw this with the trades as well. When you look at the prospects Montreal has put together, and that's headlined by Cole Caulfield, who's going to win the Hobey Baker...

(Elided a bit about Wisconsin and the Baker)

25:55

Jeff: I think Montreal Canadians fans are excited about Cole Caulfield, but you know, if you're David Poile, and you want a prospect as part of the package, that's who you're asking for. Essentially I'm asking how untouchable do you think Cole Caulfield is in a situation where the Montreal Canadians are in a "we have to go for it" season?

Elliotte: I gotta think pretty close.

(Discussion about trying to move Tatar and being unable to do so).

But I think at the time when they were thinking about doing it, was to open a spot for Caulfield. I gotta think if they're doing that, what's it gonna take for them to move him?

Jeff: What's the hardest thing to do in the NHL?

Elliotte: Win the Stanley Cup?

Jeff: From an individual point of view? You know how hard it is to score goals? You know how hard it is to score easy goals like Caulfield does where you don't have to grab the puck, settle it down, dust a couple of times, and fire it, but just it's on your stick and off and a red light goes bing? That's what Caulfield does. That's the one where I look and say goals are hard to get at every level, goals are really hard to get at the NHL level - here's a guy that does it. Here's the Alex Debrincat argument, right? Where we kept going "Oh, Debrincat, there's no way he'll have the time to get that shot off" - Alex Debrincat has shown that there's a spot in the game for Cole Caulfield without doubt and without a problem. The guy scores goals.

(More Tatar)

As a Preds fan, do you want Ekholm dealt?

Only reason I could see the Preds trading him, is if you guys are ready to do a full re-build. Otherwise, why trade him?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Id rather have two great Cs.

Reactions: abo9 and Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->