Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable players, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
ROR is about the only forward Id want who doesn't have size or speed. His high end two way game more than makes up for it. Bergeron in the making who can play wing. If you get a chance to get him, do it.

But for the most part, I want players with size and speed. Bylsma proof players. Can fit the system quickly and help win us a series against the bigger teams up front who make it hard to get to the net. Boston, LA, St. Louis in particular.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is Hemsky a realistic/useful target?

Would Oilers accept. Depres+?(prospect) for Hemsky? Could we fit him in the cap? Would he work on Sid's wing?

Is he too soft?

Just interested in people's thoughts.

I don't want to see the pens trade any good assets for rentals, if Shero does trade Despres for a rental i want it to be for Vanek.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What would the Av's want for ROR? I mean realistically?

Letang or a package of Maatta/Despres, Bennett, 1st. Something along those lines. I would do the 1st deal with a smaller piece added, but I wouldn't do the 2nd one.

Neither will happen though.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I think Letang is a good use case for why even an adamant fan (I include myself here) would probably make for a terrible GM. The simple fact is that I have no idea what the Pens should do with him. Judging by his play this season, I would be petrified about being on the look for $7M+ for 8 FRIGGIN' SEASONS of KL. I'm even starting to buy into the idea that he's one of those guys whose game has been irreversibly affected by a serious of concussions (we've seen this many times before). So, if it were me, I'd probably look at trading him.

OTOH, there's an argument that his trade value is at an all-time low, and that the kid could be a Norris winner as early as next season. Thankfully, the people in charge of this decision have way more experience than I do evaluating players under similar circumstances. They won't necessarily make the right decision, but they'll make a way more informed decision than I could hope to. I just hope they make the right call.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is Hemsky a realistic/useful target?

Not if you ask me. I've been flamed for saying this before, but, if there's a 50-50 puck Hemsky sure as Hell isn't getting it. Not sure what Hemsky's done to make so many people think it's still 6 years ago for him, but it isn't.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
When Lou Lamoriello was hired by New Jersey more than 25 years ago now, I laughed. What does this college guy know about running an NHL Franchise but he proved me wrong and has been shown to be a great judge of who can contribute in the NHL for a Franchise (New Jersey) that has always had financial and image problems. When the Pens signed Paul Martin, Lou didn't exactly cry about it or go out of his way to keep Martin. The Pens have had Martin missing for weeks and haven't missed him at all and what does he really add they can't replace? He's a name player makes $5 million a year signed through next year and they might get something very good in return. Trading Paul Martin might just be the answer.;)

The Doof Warrior

Jan 12, 2009
I don't dislike Sutter but I do think he's (to some degree) living off his surname. I'm not overly impressed with his contributions to this point. I know he hasn't had the greatest line mates, even so he's been very ordinary to put it kindly. I was expecting a 50 to 55 point player, he's on pace for what 30? He's young and has every right to improve but I haven't seen much in the way of grit or physicality from him either. When I think of third line centers I think of guys like Steve Ott. IMO this team is lacking in that regard.

50 to 55?! I'm sorry but that's a little absurd if you were thinking Sutter would do that. 50-55 isn't too bad for a pretty solid second line center; there's no way in hell our third line center would be putting up that many. He just hasn't shown the ability to be that dangerous offensively.

I for one am pretty happy with him but I wish he would bulk up more and just become a physically difficult to play shut down center. We don't really need offense from him as much as we need him to anchor a line that can go out and neutralize the other team. That said I do think he needs better wingers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
When Lou Lamoriello was hired by New Jersey more than 25 years ago now, I laughed. What does this college guy know about running an NHL Franchise but he proved me wrong and has been shown to be a great judge of who can contribute in the NHL for a Franchise (New Jersey) that has always had financial and image problems. When the Pens signed Paul Martin, Lou didn't exactly cry about it or go out of his way to keep Martin. The Pens have had Martin missing for weeks and haven't missed him at all and what does he really add they can't replace? He's a name player makes $5 million a year signed through next year and they might get something very good in return. Trading Paul Martin might just be the answer.;)

No thanks. The Pens didn't miss a beat without Letang either. I mean, you could make an argument to trade any of our defensemen because the team "hasn't missed a beat". That's more a testament to our depth on defense than anything. I'll take Martin on this team over Letang. I don't care how crazy that sounds.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
No thanks. The Pens didn't miss a beat without Letang either. I mean, you could make an argument to trade any of our defensemen because the team "hasn't missed a beat". That's more a testament to our depth on defense than anything. I'll take Martin on this team over Letang. I don't care how crazy that sounds.

Letang has contributed to a Stanley Cup Winner but Paul Martin has yet to accomplish that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Keith Jones was on Pittsburgh's 93.7 the fan and said something interesting. He considered the Pens the 6th best team in the NHL behind Anaheim, Chicago ,St Louis, LA and San Jose for no other reason than Lack of Size throughout the Forwards and this hurts the Pens when they have to play a Physical Grinding Playoff Series. I agree with the lack of size part, so when I think of Trades Shero might make the Steve Ott's, Kane's, Ladd's and Wheeler's of the league is probably what he's looking at.

Agreed for the most part, though there's no way San Jose is better than we are (or Boston, for that matter). San Jose is missing something (still). And not having Hertl will really hurt.

Gagner's contract is bad. The only place he'd fit is on Sid's wing, and if we're paying 4.8M, I want someone a good deal better than him. I have no interest in him or Hemsky. I really think we should just forget about the Oilers. They're a mess. Practically everyone on that roster isn't worth the contract they gave them. They don't want to trade their good players, and they expect the moon for their average-at-best ones.

Take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but yesterday Jeff Marek was on SportsNet talking about how apparently Crosby and Gagner are friends, and that according to Marek Crosby 'has tried a few times to get Gagner on the team'. I don't really know how badly he's tried, or if any of this is true, but there you go. I've always known of the Gagner-Kane connection because of their time together in London, but this is a first that I've heard about a Crosby-Gagner connection.

Personally, I like Sam Gagner but I don't know where he fits with us. I don't like him as a playmaking winger.

For the right return, I'd have no issue dealing him. But the right return is very very high.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

He didn't cry about it, but he turned around and gave that money to Volchenkov which he would have been better off holding on to Martin

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Letang has contributed to a Stanley Cup Winner but Paul Martin has yet to accomplish that.

What kind of argument is that?

Jordan Nolan has contributed to a Stanley Cup Winner but Joe Thornton has yet to accomplish that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I think we could survive without Martin. Especially if Letang gets his head out of his ass. But then Orpik is that much more of a liability on this team. Martin seems to be the only one who can hide his deficiencies.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Martin has been here for 3 unsuccessful playoffs and isn't a defenseman with size or any real offensive production, so what's the attraction? Dan Bylsma loves him?? They aren't going to get what they need from a Despres Trade and Letang with his larger cap hit will scare off teams. A Martin Trade is probably the only way to upgrade the Wings.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Martin is a top 20 Dman in the NHL who can play in all situations and is excellent in all zones. He is signed to a very good contract. He is a top pairing Dman in every sense of the word. Only this board would want to trade him away.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Martin has been here for 3 unsuccessful playoffs and isn't a defenseman with size or any real offensive production, so what's the attraction? Dan Bylsma loves him?? They aren't going to get what they need from a Despres Trade and Letang with his larger cap hit will scare off teams. A Martin Trade is probably the only way to upgrade the Wings.

I know all I look for in a defensemen is either size or offensive production. You're right, Martin sucks.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I can understand that logic during the "buyout Martin" days, even though he didn't have as much value at the time. But now when he was playing he was playing lights out. Steady as they come. I'm hoping when he comes back he actually makes Orpik passable.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I know all I look for in a defensemen is either size of offensive production. You're right, Martin sucks.

Speaking of size, he's 6'1, 200lb.
Speaking of production, he's on pace for about 40 points this season.

Bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad