Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable players, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Last year, as we approached the trade deadline (in our pursuit of Iginla) I created a post discussing the "regrettability" factor in trading any of the Penguins players.

Basically, "how much would/could we regret this in the future." I'm doing it again this year but combining it with a topic that's been pretty "hot" the past few weeks: untouchable players. This is obviously speculative on our part, since we can't know exactly what the organization is thinking, but ... who cares!

Regrettable Scale: 1 (Craig Adams) - 10 (James Neal)

The untouchables

1. Sidney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin (1000000) - Both untouchable, neither will be traded, both would make you regret it in the morning.

2. James Neal (10) - There are few wingers in the league better than James Neal, and maybe none better for Evgeni Malkin's RW. He's a 40-goal scorer and a PPG player who has not only shown a remarkable scoring touch and chemistry with Malkin, but has taken the next step in improving his grit and physicality.

Not Untouchable, but pretty darn close

3. Olli Maatta - (9) Already in the NHL at age 19, the kid has the physical tools and hockey IQ that could see him playing top-pairing minutes in the not-so-distant future. His age, skill set and contract combine to make him one of the most-valuable assets in the organization, and not one they will be in a hurry to move.

4. Kris Letang - (8.5) One of the most physically gifted players in the NHL, Letang's issues - if there are any - are between the ears. One of the most polarizing players among fans, Letang has the ability to turn defense into offense as fast as anyone in the league. While the Pens are rich in defensive prospects, they don't have anyone like Letang waiting in the wings.

A big part in his ranking is his regrettability score. If Letang were to be traded to another team and that team was able to reign him in, turning him into a 60pt d-man who can bring a consistent defensive game and physical edge? It would be worse than any fleecing Shero has pulled off.

5. Paul Martin (8) - While not as flashy as Letang, many would argue that Martin is the Penguins' best defenseman. A steady player who can play 25-minutes+ a game while shutting down the opposition's top lines AND providing a calming presence on the top PP unit, Martin went from whipping boy to underpaid in just over a season.

Martin's regrettability score is not based in the fact that he would move on to become a better player, but simply the fact that he is one of the Penguins' best, and losing him would leave a gigantic hole on the back-end.

6. Chris Kunitz (8) - Similar to Martin- Kunitz's RS is based on the hole he'd leave on the roster if the Penguins were to move him. At 34 he's likely about to hit a downturn in performance, but for now, he's likely the "Crosby's Neal" everyone has been pining for.

7. Beau Bennett (8) - Perhaps an awkward inclusion for some, Bennett's inability to stay on the ice has tarnished him in the eyes of some Penguins fans.

When healthy, Bennett has proven that he can not only play the RW with Crosby or the LW with Malkin, but look like he belongs while doing it. His smarts, responsible play and grittiness make him effective on any line, but his hockey IQ and creativity make him a perfect, much-needed match for the two superstar centers.

Moving Bennett would be filling one hole and creating another.

8. Derrick Pouliot (8) - Pouliot showed why the Penguins drafted him so high at the WJC, where he was Canada's best player over the course of the tournament.

PPQB, smart, good decision making, a good shot, and not an abject failure in his own end, Pouliot will bring something to the Penguins back end that they haven't had since Sergai Gonchar ole'd his way to Ottawa.

9. Scott Harrington (8) - Smart, great awareness, good skating, good along the boards. Harrington will likely never light the world on fire, but he should be the perfect replacement for Rob Scuderi down the road.

Touchable, but only for the right price

10. Simon Despres (8) - big, strong, physical, good skater. Whatever. My love for Despres is well-documented. I'd have him in the previous tier, but I don't think the Penguins feel the same way, and I'm trying to keep this fair/"honest."

11. Brandon Sutter (6) - As with Neal, Kunitz, Bennett - Sutter has good value and would likely be coveted by more than one team, but moving him for a winger would only create another hole at 3C. Some would argue that's a fair trade, but it's likely one that Ray Shero isn't interested in pursuing. I don't have Sutter's RS as high, simply because I think he is what he is: a good 3rd-line center. I don't think there's any untapped potential there. The team DOES need to help him out with better wingers, though.

12. Brian Dumoulin (8) - So I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen from Dumoulin, but the team and many observers have been. He's big (6'3, 200lbs) and a good skater. He doesn't have a mean streak (though I'm sure he could develop) and the team trusts him on the PK and the PP. This score and position is a mix of my thoughts (i'd have him lower) and the team's thoughts (they'd likely have him higher).

13. Matt Niskanen (6) - A throwaway before the season, Niskanen has shown that, while he shouldn't be counted on to be a consistent top-4 guy, he's able to occasionally flash a brilliant performance. I have his RS this high because while moving him would allow someone I want to see play (Bortuzzo) to get into the lineup, Niskanen provides nice depth in the even of injuries to Martin and Letang. He's able to step up on the PP, he's not soft, and he can move the puck.

The biggest questions around Niskanen will be answered in the playoffs.

14. Brooks Orpik (4) - a veteran leader and a physical presence, Bruce has been a fixture on the Penguins back end since before the league was founded. To many, Orpik seems to be on the tail end of his career (and falling rapidly), but it's clear that the team (and others around the league) still hold him in high regard. Moving him would likely open up the spot for a cheaper, younger, better player, and I don't see him going on to anothert team and making a huge difference, but ... okay.

15. Robert Bortuzzo (6) - Bort will never put up big offensive numbers, but he is big, physical, and has a lovely mean streak. That, combined with his skating ability, make him ideal to be the eventual replacement for someone like Brooks Orpik. Given his age and contract status, I think losing Bort would likely be more regrettable than losing someone like Orpik. I also think Bortuzzo can continue to get better with playing time.

Touch, PLEASE!!!!

16. Jussi Jokinen (5) - A consistent player who provided some much-needed offense leading up to the playoffs in 2012, Jokinen has been a perfectly acceptable player on the Penguins roster. But he's a soon-to-be UFA who won't get a sniff on Crosby's line, isn't ideal for Malkin's line and doesn't have enough grit for Sutter's line, so the Penguins will likely move on from him in the off-season rather than pay him $3MM to be an awkward fit on a roster in need of some tweaking. I'm not sure Jokinen has much value to begin with, but if the right deal came along, I'm sure the Pens would pursue it.

17. Tanner Glass, Craig Adams (-10) - **** off

Not mentioned:

Marc-Andre Fleury (???) - He has value, but the Penguins cannot move him. Maybe they look to Ryan Miller in the off-season, but for the rest of this season, Fleury's presence on the roster is as necessary as anyone's.

Rob Scuderi (5) - I didn't want Scuderi brought in in the first place, and I don't think, to-date, he's proven me wrong, but he (along with the rest of the defense) has been injured for much of the season, so what I'll say is this: the Penguins just signed him. They aren't trading him.

The Goalie Prospects (???) - I don't know much about them, because they aren't biscuit-minded goal scorer things, so I don't pay attention, but the team made a concerted effort to improve organizational depth at G. They aren't going to move it now.

JOE VICTORY (1,000,000,000,000,000) - No point in moving him, really. And unlike years past, Vitale has earned Bylsma's trust, centering the 4th line, getting time at 1RW, playing on the 3rd line, etc... He's cheap, he's great at face-offs, and he's a ball of energy. Perfect 4th liner.

Megna, Gibbons, Conner, Sill, Zolnierczyk - The Pens AHL depth has been vital to their successes this year. They likely don't have a lot of value league-wide, so it would be prudent to keep them around (especially Gibbons and Megna) to see just how high their ceilings can go.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
the reason I'd be interested in Seto is because he should be relatively cheap. If he costs a first he isn't an option.

I agree. Problem is, thanks to the brilliant Douglas Murray trade, we don't have our 2nd either. But if the price is reasonable, Setoguchi's skillset (particularly his speed, shooting ability, and his ability be tenacious on the forecheck, all things that would mesh well with Sid, perhaps) is just too tantalizing to ingnore. Heck the risk/reward ration on this one could end up being a no-brainer. Upside is enormous, and risk is low considering the price will be low, given his production this season.

I have zero doubt that Sutter isn't done developing. He probably is going to get better offensively. My thing with him is, I don't think he has gotten much bigger or stronger since he has entered the league. He's still well under 200 pounds, and has a really lean, lanky frame. He just doesn't have a lot of room to hang weight on.

I also don't believe that Brandon Sutter would like to be pigeon holed as the 3rd line center here. That's just me projecting how I would handle my career if I were him. If I were him, I'd sign a deal long enough to get out of RFA, and then hit the road in search of a top 6 spot somewhere.

The odd thing about Sutter is, I think he'd make a good top 6 winger, but I don't want to dive into that debate again, as I'm still Staal'd out.

I definitely hear you, but I think the main difference is the following:

1) There's no "brother" factor or any other particular destination he is drawn to. He's also not a UFA. It would be wise for him (in the event of injury, etc.) to lock up a medium or long term deal here.

2) With the guys we have coming in (Megna, Bennett, Archibald, etc.) over the next year or two, I do foresee the scenario of us having MUCH more talented players for Sutter to surround himself with. And I think that would be enough for him if he's winning rather than playing a bigger role on a weaker team that won't win. If Sutter's offense will improve, as we both think it will, and we can surround him with better players, we should end up with a line that is comparable, if not better, than the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line we had before.

3) Sutter never had "almost" 30 goals, won a Cup, got nominated for a Selke or had the pedigree of being the 2nd overall pick where either his ego or GMs around the league would see him as a similar player.

I'm actually THRILLED he hasn't had a big year this year, and hope his breakout year will be next year or the year afterwards, because that means we can lock him up to a cheaper amount. I hope we do that. And I do also think that Sutter will eventually add more weight as he gets older, and maybe takes his training up another notch or two. Maybe a summer with Gary Roberts or Andy O'Brian, rather than just working out at the farm in Alberta.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hope MK maybe suggests to him to go to one of those camps in the off season, with Neal or something, and get stronger.

I kind of want to see him used as a winger for a few more games before he's back at 3rd line C and we're sick of the experiment.

Michael8771*

I hope MK maybe suggests to him to go to one of those camps in the off season, with Neal or something, and get stronger.

I kind of want to see him used as a winger for a few more games before he's back at 3rd line C and we're sick of the experiment.
I don't dislike Sutter but I do think he's (to some degree) living off his surname. I'm not overly impressed with his contributions to this point. I know he hasn't had the greatest line mates, even so he's been very ordinary to put it kindly. I was expecting a 50 to 55 point player, he's on pace for what 30? He's young and has every right to improve but I haven't seen much in the way of grit or physicality from him either. When I think of third line centers I think of guys like Steve Ott. IMO this team is lacking in that regard.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Personally, I want a permanent winger for Sid at all costs. It's been TOO LONG that he has played with Kunitz + randoms. Having said that, honestly, I think if we simply made a deal like Orpik (I know, never going to happen) for Kulemin and actually got HEALTHY, we would be more than ok. Bennett and Megna both have to get healthy and they get to battle for L1 RW, loser to L3 wing. This also allows us to have Jokinen play 3rd line winger and Sutter back to L3 as well.

Kunitz-Sid-Bennett/Megna
Kulemin-Geno-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Bennett/Megna

Also, the 4th line actually has to be competent. This is where Sill and Vitale SHOULD BE absolute LOCKS. Bylsma can and probably will mess this up.. the pieces are there we just typically use the wrong ones. Harry Z, or hell even Gibbons, should be the other player. (Or Engo..that would be a nice physical line that wouldn't be trapped in their own zone for minutes at a time)

Michael8771*

Personally, I want a permanent winger for Sid at all costs. It's been TOO LONG that he has played with Kunitz + randoms. Having said that, honestly, I think if we simply made a deal like Orpik (I know, never going to happen) for Kulemin and actually got HEALTHY, we would be more than ok. Bennett and Megna both have to get healthy and they get to battle for L1 RW, loser to L3 wing. This also allows us to have Jokinen play 3rd line winger and Sutter back to L3 as well.

Kunitz-Sid-Bennett/Megna
Kulemin-Geno-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Bennett/Megna

Also, the 4th line actually has to be competent. This is where Sill and Vitale SHOULD BE absolute LOCKS. Bylsma can and probably will mess this up.. the pieces are there we just typically use the wrong ones. Harry Z, or hell even Gibbons, should be the other player. (Or Engo..that would be a nice physical line that wouldn't be trapped in their own zone for minutes at a time)
I love the skill on the top three but I don't like the lack of Grit and physicality. Kunitz and Neal can be chippy but I think we need a Steve Ott or a Nick Foligno type in there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This should be the framework of our forwards going forward this season. I'll include Adams because its a waste of time discussing a line-up without him in it.

Kunitz - Crosby - ______
_____ - Malkin - Neal
Jussi - Sutter - ______
_____ - Vitale - Adams

Jussi adds more to Sutter's line than Geno's. He adds more value to this team as a depth scorer on the third line.

Fire Shero*

This should be the framework of our forwards going forward this season. I'll include Adams because its a waste of time discussing a line-up without him in it.

Kunitz - Crosby - ______
_____ - Malkin - Neal
Jussi - Sutter - ______
_____ - Vitale - Adams

Jussi adds more to Sutter's line than Geno's. He adds more value to this team as a depth scorer on the third line.

You might as well add Glass into that lineup. Gladams. It's like that married with children song, you can't have one without the other..they go together like a horse and carriage.

I don't think Shero waves Kobasew, Pyatt, Adams etcetera all it one season after already waiving 2 players. No GM wants to admit they made a half dozen mistakes

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You might as well add Glass into that lineup. Gladams. It's like that married with children song, you can't have one without the other..they go together like a horse and carriage.

I don't think Shero waves Kobasew, Pyatt, Adams etcetera all it one season after already waiving 2 players. No GM wants to admit they made a half dozen mistakes

I'm still holding a shred of hope with Glass. He got sat last year in the playoffs. I'm not saying I'm confident, but I at least see it as a possibility. Not so with Adams. He will play every game this year and next regardless of any other roster changes. He's as core to this team's success as Crosby and Malkin in Disco's eyes. Re-signing Adams is still my least favorite of Shero's recent roster moves. It just speaks volumes to how much he trusts Dan Bylsma, and that really bothers me.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
Does it seem that this year trade rumors seem to be scarce around the league? Maybe I'm just not in tune with the rumor mill like I used to be.

It will pick up fast and furious after the Olympics. I believe there is only 1 week until the deadline from when NHL play resumes.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
Does it seem that this year trade rumors seem to be scarce around the league? Maybe I'm just not in tune with the rumor mill like I used to be.

Probably has a lot to do with the cap being lower this year. A lot of teams can't take on salary without shedding an equal amount.

Suspect it will be a bit better around the deadline with the pro-rated salaries, but I don't think it'll be that many trades anyway.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I was just browsing the rosters of possible sellers and came across Scottie Upshall. I've always been a fan of his and was wondering what you guys think of him as a trade target. Not as a fixture on a scoring line, but as a wing for Sutter and fill-in wing on the top lines in emergencies.

Not sure if the Panthers are looking to move him, but I would imagine they'd entertain the notion. Maybe a deal of Bortuzzo and Ruopp for Upshall? Bortuzzo and a 4th? Upshall is signed for $3.5m through next season. It's a little steep salary for a 3rd liner right now, but I think he would make the 3rd line tougher to play against and help bring out some offense in Sutter. Also, as a bonus, can play on both the PK and PP (not that we would need him there).

With everyone healthy come playoffs:
Kunitz-Sid-Bennett
Neal-Malkin-Jussi
Upshall-Sutter-Megna/Gibby/Pyatt
Adams-Sill-Vitale

Then next year when Dupuis is back you can run with a 3rd line of Upshall-Sutter-Dupuis.

Last edited:

penguins2946*

I really don't know what to expect from Shero at the deadline this year. He's not looking for rentals, and unless it's the last minute and/or they come dirt cheap, I don't think he'll trade for one. I also don't think he'll trade any high draft picks for obvious reasons, unless we're getting someone like Wheeler back.

It seems like Shero is banking on moving Despres for a top-6 winger, but there's 3 problems with that, he doesn't have the value to bring back a top-6 winger, Bylsma refusing to let him play isn't helping his value and not that many teams have a surplus of top-6 wingers that they can move for Despres. Chiasson for Despres is a fantastic idea that makes a ton of sense, but I can't see Dallas doing another winger for D trade with the Pens, regardless of who's the GM (which sucks, because Chiasson is a 6'4", 205 lb sniper). There's also Palmieri, but the Ducks are pretty much set on D. Unless Souray gets hurt again/is out longer than expected, I can't see the Ducks being interested. The Avalanche make sense with Despres, both on the French-Canadian connection and the lack of D, but the best they could offer is McGinn, which I would hate to do (and probably the most likely thing to happen).

Other than those 3, who else is out there? Oilers need D, but they don't have any attainable wingers and I think they'd rather just wait for Nurse, Klefbom, Ekblad and others to become NHL ready before trading assets to being in another D (that team is going to be good in a few years if they get a goalie and a 2C). Calgary could use Despres, and they do have a young NHL wing that could be expendable (Baertschi), but I have a feeling that he would be glued to the bench by Bylsma. He also couldn't make one of the weakest teams in the NHL. Carolina may make sense for Despres, but I doubt the Pens would trade him in the division, and Tlusty is basically the best they can offer. Maybe Minnesota can do Coyle for Despres? Their fans tend to dislike it and counter with Zucker+ for Despres (which is the equivalent of offering Dumoulin+ for Coyle), but with Zucker, Niño and others on the Wild already, that may work. Other than that, I really can't think of anyone else that could be interested in Despres.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't dislike Sutter but I do think he's (to some degree) living off his surname. I'm not overly impressed with his contributions to this point. I know he hasn't had the greatest line mates, even so he's been very ordinary to put it kindly. I was expecting a 50 to 55 point player, he's on pace for what 30? He's young and has every right to improve but I haven't seen much in the way of grit or physicality from him either. When I think of third line centers I think of guys like Steve Ott. IMO this team is lacking in that regard.

You're expectations were too high.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
I really don't know what to expect from Shero at the deadline this year. He's not looking for rentals, and unless it's the last minute and/or they come dirt cheap, I don't think he'll trade for one. I also don't think he'll trade any high draft picks for obvious reasons, unless we're getting someone like Wheeler back.

It seems like Shero is banking on moving Despres for a top-6 winger, but there's 3 problems with that, he doesn't have the value to bring back a top-6 winger, Bylsma refusing to let him play isn't helping his value and not that many teams have a surplus of top-6 wingers that they can move for Despres. Chiasson for Despres is a fantastic idea that makes a ton of sense, but I can't see Dallas doing another winger for D trade with the Pens, regardless of who's the GM (which sucks, because Chiasson is a 6'4", 205 lb sniper). There's also Palmieri, but the Ducks are pretty much set on D. Unless Souray gets hurt again/is out longer than expected, I can't see the Ducks being interested. The Avalanche make sense with Despres, both on the French-Canadian connection and the lack of D, but the best they could offer is McGinn, which I would hate to do (and probably the most likely thing to happen).

Other than those 3, who else is out there? Oilers need D, but they don't have any attainable wingers and I think they'd rather just wait for Nurse, Klefbom, Ekblad and others to become NHL ready before trading assets to being in another D (that team is going to be good in a few years if they get a goalie and a 2C). Calgary could use Despres, and they do have a young NHL wing that could be expendable (Baertschi), but I have a feeling that he would be glued to the bench by Bylsma. He also couldn't make one of the weakest teams in the NHL. Carolina may make sense for Despres, but I doubt the Pens would trade him in the division, and Tlusty is basically the best they can offer. Maybe Minnesota can do Coyle for Despres? Their fans tend to dislike it and counter with Zucker+ for Despres (which is the equivalent of offering Dumoulin+ for Coyle), but with Zucker, Niño and others on the Wild already, that may work. Other than that, I really can't think of anyone else that could be interested in Despres.

Chiasson would be good if they are set on trading despres, if all they get back for him is McGinn I'm gonna be more pissed Than I was when the morrow for morrow deal happened. McGinn is a 3rd liner, he would help our 3rd line a lot but you don't move a player like despres for a bottom 6 player.

Letang is the answer for a great winger for Crosby but Shero doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm still holding a shred of hope with Glass. He got sat last year in the playoffs. I'm not saying I'm confident, but I at least see it as a possibility. Not so with Adams. He will play every game this year and next regardless of any other roster changes. He's as core to this team's success as Crosby and Malkin in Disco's eyes. Re-signing Adams is still my least favorite of Shero's recent roster moves. It just speaks volumes to how much he trusts Dan Bylsma, and that really bothers me.

He was sat because we were tied 2-2 to the Islanders and we were benching Vitale and Kennedy (Jokinen or Bennett too I believe). We don't have that kind of depth this year. Glass will be in the lineup every night.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was just browsing the rosters of possible sellers and came across Scottie Upshall. I've always been a fan of his and was wondering what you guys think of him as a trade target. Not as a fixture on a scoring line, but as a wing for Sutter and fill-in wing on the top lines in emergencies.

Not sure if the Panthers are looking to move him, but I would imagine they'd entertain the notion. Maybe a deal of Bortuzzo and Ruopp for Upshall? Bortuzzo and a 4th? Upshall is signed for $3.5m through next season. It's a little steep salary for a 3rd liner right now, but I think he would make the 3rd line tougher to play against and help bring out some offense in Sutter. Also, as a bonus, can play on both the PK and PP (not that we would need him there).

With everyone healthy come playoffs:
Kunitz-Sid-Bennett
Neal-Malkin-Jussi
Upshall-Sutter-Megna/Gibby/Pyatt
Adams-Sill-Vitale

Then next year when Dupuis is back you can run with a 3rd line of Upshall-Sutter-Dupuis.

Holy Batman you are overselling Upshall. Bortuzzo AND Ruopp? Upshall hasn't played a full season since '10-'11 season and is way overpaid.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Holy Batman you are overselling Upshall. Bortuzzo AND Ruopp? Upshall hasn't played a full season since '10-'11 season and is way overpaid.

I was thinking that Bortz and Ruopp would be what the Panthers would probably ask for and Bortz+4th would be what I would feel comfortable with the Pens giving up.

Outside of my questionable pricing skills, do you think he'd be a decent trade target and what would you want to give up for him?

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
I wonder what the cost would be for Gaborik at the deadline assuming Columbus is moving him. His injury history scares me but he would be a dyaminic RW for Sid in the playoffs if he does come back from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad