Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Soderberg (COL) for Connauton (ARI) and 2020 3rd

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I imagine being mildly relevant makes it somewhat easier to acquire a marquee name, wouldn't you? Duchene, Hayes, MoJo, Dzingel, etc were all extremely long-shots. I don't know anyone trading premier forward talent at the moment. Maybe that changes after free agency, but I doubt it.
Until we draft and develop someone, we will always have to grind out wins with three or four lines. It is exciting to me that we have a chance to ice two or three 2/3 lines, and a third line. It's been a long time since we haven't had tweeners playing big minutes in our lineup. The only tweeners right now look to be Fischer and Garland. Maybe Hayton. And that's supremely nice because they aren't career AHLers yet.
Hopefully more money means more tweener talent stashed in Tucson, too.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If Richardson and Grabner continue to have chemistry, I really like this deal. We can exchange Dvo/Soda up and down 2/3c depending on performance and not feel bad about it. Put Schmaltz as a winger.

Keller/Schmaltz SHOULD be an awesome combination next year.

Interesting to note Soda also played LW in BOS and didn't look bad. I like him a lot more as a center ala Hanzal but if we want to run Hayton or Schmaltz at C I won't feel bad about having Soda on the wing.

I love the trade. Connaughton was up and down but very, very disposable. A 3rd is trade fodder at the deadline and I'd be happy with this at that point too.

Schmaltz / Stepan / Keller
Gally / Dvo / Vinnie
Garland / Soda / Panik
Grabner / Richardson / Cousins

Isn't amazing, but is definitely not bad. Fits into our gameplan very well too, outside of the top line everyone has excellent two way play and cna grind very well and means we can beat them with speed.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Not even interesting to me other than for something to talk about. I haven't been excited about this team since before the Domi trade last offseason. I guess I just don't see any hope in the near future with what Chayka is doing.

I don't get it. This trade is all positive. A position we need and an upgrade, for next to nothing...

It isn't about being interesting, it's about winning more games and he gives us a chance to maybe win a couple more.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
What if we acquired Soda just for dealing him to another team? We`re in talks with Vegas, they have cap issues, Soda is cheap option. Marcus Kruger scenario.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What if we acquired Soda just for dealing him to another team? We`re in talks with Vegas, they have cap issues, Soda is cheap option. Marcus Kruger scenario.
Vegas has Eakin and Haula to play that role and they both combined make about what Soderberg does. I doubt they have a lot of interest in that sort of "cheap" player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Another guy that at best helps us get closer to mediocre which continues the trend of bad teams but still poor draft position. I didn't expect anything more though so not that disappointed. I think the way the roster sits, it still needs a huge turnover to bring in enough talent to hope for a contender. That's why I hated the trades last year. Looks like we're going to wind up with nothing for Domi too after Galchenyuk walks. I'd prefer we brought in younger guys that need a change of scenery so there's at least hope for a Strome-like blossoming. Maybe one of Dvo, Keller, Crouse or Fischer can become something closer to a star but I think we are probably lucky if there are just a couple decent regulars out of our young guys. Seriously I'd trade any players any team wanted and a few firsts for a young star. We desperately need a forward, preferably a center to build around.
We got the best player in the deal, and a C at that. I do know what you are saying, but if Duchene said no, we had to look at other options. I would have over paid for Duchene, but not 10 mill. over pay. He is not worth that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not mad just don't think it does anything for us. We need high end talent. Another average vet does nothing to make us more than what we are. Like I said, I'd rather they spend the roster spot on someone that has a chance to be something more or even take a bad contract and get an asset like the Marleau deal. Treading water doesn't make me want to buy tickets. A 33 year old 3c that won't be around next year really gets you excited?
Look at it this way. If getting Soda means that Cousins and Archibald are not on the team, that alone makes me happy. Cousins had a career year, but is a fourth liner. Baby steps I guess.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Look at it this way. If getting Soda means that Cousins and Archibald are not on the team, that alone makes me happy. Cousins had a career year, but is a fourth liner. Baby steps I guess.
Yep, baby steps. I'm just happy every time we take a step that isn't backwards.

I've always liked Söderberg. He used to play for my hometown SHL team. Glad to be rooting for him once again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We are shaping up to be a very solid team. Adding another hardworking C who can play 200 feet gives us line and roster options. A 3rd round pick is a reasonable price to have paid; especially since they picked up Connauton's deal.
Anything to get Stepan off the PP I'm happy. We got the best player in the trade, a very useful player on a nice contract. I just feel that this team who is almost at the cap should have more talent. At the moment we don't have one first line player. Maybe someone might surprise this year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Anything to get Stepan off the PP I'm happy. We got the best player in the trade, a very useful player on a nice contract. I just feel that this team who is almost at the cap should have more talent. At the moment we don't have one first line player. Maybe someone might surprise this year.
Can't make free agents want to play here and we can't win a draft lottery. End result is we have the Nashville model that features forward depth, excellent D, and great goaltending. That's the hand we've been dealt.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Can't make free agents want to play here and we can't win a draft lottery. End result is we have the Nashville model that features forward depth, excellent D, and great goaltending. That's the hand we've been dealt.

We've signed some FAs, but should get more interest soon IMO.

What makes an FA want to go somewhere?
1. Location. Phoenix should be near the top of most lists.
2. Coach. RT seems like a guy players want to work for.
3. Team committed to winning. This is where we have been lacking pretty much forever, but the new owner and a new infusion of cash could change the equation. (Possibly a new stadium and more fan attendance (fingers crossed!))

Reactions: che

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
You’re from Malmo? The most dangerous city on the planet?
I'm from Linköping. He played there for two seasons after he outgrew the 2nd highest division in Sweden. And as cowbell says, Malmö is not very dangerous. They're having their problems yes, but it's mostly the right wing populists that's fueling that narrative.

Reactions: Cowbell

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm from Linköping. He played there for two seasons after he outgrew the 2nd highest division in Sweden. And as cowbell says, Malmö is not very dangerous. They're having their problems yes, but it's mostly the right wing populists that's fueling that narrative.
Listen, Alex Jones told me that Malmo is basically South Chicago, mixed with Central Baghdad, mixed with King’s Landing when the bells are ringing. And, the frogs there have been made gay. By the lizard people from the center of the earth. Which, by the way, is flat like a pizza and domed.

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
Ghostface pretty much summed it up. It's really not that bad.

But we have to figure out whether we call Söderberg "Soda", or Söderström who also seems to have the same nickname. Söderberg goes by "Yeti" as well right?

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Listen, Alex Jones told me that Malmo is basically South Chicago, mixed with Central Baghdad, mixed with King’s Landing when the bells are ringing. And, the frogs there have been made gay. By the lizard people from the center of the earth. Which, by the way, is flat like a pizza and domed.
Well, all of that is of course true. What I meant is they're making incredible falafel down there, which makes it all totally worth it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

We'll literally have to win the Stanley Cup to get star players to want to sign here as free agents. It has nothing to do with Scottsdale bars and everything to do with opportunity and trajectory. I think the team as constructed is good enough to make the playoffs - what happens after that is anyone's guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad