Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Soderberg (COL) for Connauton (ARI) and 2020 3rd

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think our roster is fairly comparable to Nashville when they started to be a legitimate threat to make noise in playoffs.
Maybe, but this is a big year for many of the kids, and a few vets. Anything less than the playoffs will be considered a complete failure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think our roster is fairly comparable to Nashville when they started to be a legitimate threat to make noise in playoffs.
Boy, do you have a good memory. By the way, I hope you are right.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

1 June:
_Del_ said:
I think you can win a lot games with three middling 2-3 C's, but they have to be the dependable two-way types (size is a bonus), and have the right talent on wings. We're not there, but I'd like to see us eventually build that way because we might be able to afford it.

You look at the Blue's fourth line, and they would basically all be in contention for our top six.

I actually think Dvorak and Stepan and player-X (even Wennberg-level) is okay for this approach, but none of them can be liabilities at center. Richardson was good last year. I don't count on a repeat. So we need to add someone, and Schmaltz has to go back to wing. Which is fine. We definitely need dynamic players on the wings, even undersized one-dimensional ones, to drive the offense because the centers won't be doing it.

Soderberg is huge for us. I'm surprised by people who don't care for it because he isn't Duchene.

One more Eakin, Wennberg, etc to swing between C/W and a bit more firepower, and we're in pretty good shape.

If, I mean IF, we get some organic growth and bounce back from Dvo, Keller, Stepan, heaven-help-us Hayton, we might be pleasantly surprised.

We need a little more talent, especially if we're icing Hayton, and we can spread it around a bit and all our lines including Hayton's "4th line" have some talent and none are blackholes offensively or easily victimized defensively. But we're close after this trade. Closer than we've been in a long time.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
1 June:

Soderberg is huge for us. I'm surprised by people who don't care for it because he isn't Duchene.

One more Eakin, Wennberg, etc to swing between C/W and a bit more firepower, and we're in pretty good shape.

If, I mean IF, we get some organic growth and bounce back from Dvo, Keller, Stepan, heaven-help-us Hayton, we might be pleasantly surprised.

We need a little more talent, especially if we're icing Hayton, and we can spread it around a bit and all our lines including Hayton's "4th line" have some talent and none are blackholes offensively or easily victimized defensively. But we're close after this trade. Closer than we've been in a long time.
I have to be honest if our team had a bit more jam I would’ve also made the Blues comparison to compliment my Nashville comparison.

Off topic but I’d love to get Fabbri off of the Blues.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't know why they'd trade him (Fabbri). Looks like he might be putting it together and healthy. They may as well ride him out.

We definitely need jam. If Fischer would play like Crouse, I wouldn't care about his offensive totals. Almost all our jam came from players under 6' who didn't actually belong in this league-- Crouse and Bush notable exceptions. Need some size and willingness to use it to wear people down. Also think if a guy like Ritchie might get us collectively fired up and braver, even if he's a part-timer in the lineup.I

Hopefully Chayka watched the playoffs and noticed how the light-in-the-pants dipsy-doodle teams fared.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
1 June:

Getting a legit center more or less for free, I was convinced we would hear something really bad by now, of the kind of the third being conditional (and would turn into a second or first if the conditions were met, as in fake news-conditions, as that would have been a conditonal second or first, actually.) Or that the trade included fun prospects going to the Avs. Still just Kconn and a third?

It's a gift. Thanks, Avs! :nod:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Right. Is he a top line talent? No. Can he be a solid anchor eating big minutes and compliment our one-dimensional wingers? Yes, definitely. He's got enough skill to not look out of place with Schmaltz or Keller, etc or anchor an effective checking line and be its best player. Also can shift to wing. Very versatile player.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
A swedish restaurant.. That sounds as good as a finnish concert hall. Or an american geography lesson.

Finns and Swedes rivalry extends to cuisine as well? (as if I've had either) And Finns don't have concert halls? The things I learn here... (and for the record, unusual among my countrymen I know, I'm pretty good at geography, but only for countries I've been to, which doesn't include any of the Nordic countries...well, except for changing planes in the Copenhagen airport once)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it's fair to say our two biggest needs are goals and size/jam. But which is the bigger need? I still think it's pure goals. Size/jam would help create space and open things up, but we still need more pure offense I think.

Right now Soderberg probably replaces Panik's goals. Still need to add more.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We actually weren't terrible in the shots generated department. Our issues were missed shots and a poor shooting percentage as a team (8.2%, good for 29th).

At this point, take the approach that this is the 3rd year in the system for some, and we should be able to take that forward and at the very least, generate better scoring opportunities, if not more shots. We were outshot by 2 shots per game, on average. We were 15th in total SOG per game. But we were 21st in shots against. With a low GAA, that projects the idea of forcing bad/save-able shots by the opposition. Maybe standing pat or limited movement makes sense.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Finns and Swedes rivalry extends to cuisine as well? (as if I've had either) And Finns don't have concert halls? The things I learn here... (and for the record, unusual among my countrymen I know, I'm pretty good at geography, but only for countries I've been to, which doesn't include any of the Nordic countries...well, except for changing planes in the Copenhagen airport once)
Finns do music as well as swedes cook and as well as americans can point out and name countries on a map.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Finns do music as well as swedes cook and as well as americans can point out and name countries on a map.
I tried to think of any finnish dishes. All I could think of is the "finnish summer soup".
For those of you who don't know, finnish summer soup is koskenkorva, served in a deep floral plate.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I tried to think of any finnish dishes. All I could think of is the "finnish summer soup".
For those of you who don't know, finnish summer soup is koskenkorva, served in a deep floral plate.
Yeah, finnish cuisine isn't much to write home about either. The Rye bread sandwich was recently voted the national dish...

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Right now Soderberg probably replaces Panik's goals. Still need to add more.
Following that line of thinking... Dvorak is a big upgrade on Kempe's production and Schmaltz is a big upgrade on Archibald's production.

I think we're in good shape to be a playoff team.

Reactions: LuckyNumber11

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Following that line of thinking... Dvorak is a big upgrade on Kempe's production and Schmaltz is a big upgrade on Archibald's production.

I think we're in good shape to be a playoff team.
It's going to be harder to be a playoff team next season. I think the 8th place team will have 5-10 more points next year. It was an uncommonly low cost of entry into the post-season last year.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It's going to be harder to be a playoff team next season. I think the 8th place team will have 5-10 more points next year. It was an uncommonly low cost of entry into the post-season last year.

You really think the East are gonna fall apart this year? With both Rangers and the Devils back in the mix, I don't think so... the East may very well take more points, not less. And even if OT gives out more points, so it hurts my next point, I say it: it's kind of limited how many points they give out.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Forwards out/in (G-A-Points)

OUT:
Panik 14-19-33
Cousins 7-20-27
Archibald 12-10-22
TOTAL 33-39-72

IN:
Soderberg 23-26-49