Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Will we ever get another dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Mainboards Flames fans saying they wouldn't trade Gaudreau for McDavid 1 for 1 totally makes my Monday morning :laugh:

Who cares. It's so petty to try and force other teams to admit they would accept a proposal for their best player in a trade that would never happen. If you want to engage in a dumb pointless argument then feel free but it's not hard to see that Gaudreau is their guy and he's given flames fans every reason to have his back.

No different then the good percentage here who would stick with Nurse if a hypothetical trade for Risto came up on HF despite one guy being clearly ahead of the other.

Oct 15, 2008
Any central revenues the team receives are in $USD. This probably leaves them with a shortfall of about say $50M on their $USD expenses. There was also a recent article about hedging strategies that the CDN teams use. Moreover, if the drop triggers revenue sharing the team could in theory make up the loss.

The net impact of this year's drop in the $CDN to the Oiler's bottom line is probably not that much more than the amount that the team is paying Nikitin to play in the minors. The move to the new building will cover this probably 4-5 times over.

Their expenses went up 40%. The new arena isnt going to make up for that. Lots of job losses around these parts.

This happened before remember. And it wasnt just Edmonton in trouble either. Winnipeg and Quebec lost franchises and it was partly due to the dollar.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Their expenses went up 40%. The new arena isnt going to make up for that. Lots of job losses around these parts.

This happened before remember. And it wasnt just Edmonton in trouble either. Winnipeg and Quebec lost franchises and it was partly due to the dollar.

Arena operations, staffing, training staff and loan payments are probably all in CDN dollars so its not all bad for Canadian teams

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
ITs not going to be good for the league. Especially since they are already propping up American organizations...

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
yeah most everybody on here agrees that you only likely get maybe 2-3 more "top performance" years out of big-buff, MAYBE 4 if he turns things around in his off-ice regiment..... i would guess 3 though, and wouldn't be surprised to see it be 2

not a guy i would be throwing term at, which he most definitely WILL get on the UFA market, and good for him.... i just don't want it to be on my team

Thing is we're going to have to take risks to get a top pairing guy. We're either going to trade for a young guy with promise like Seth Jones, who may never develop into a top pair guy especially with how well we've been at developing dmen, or else we have to pay in free agency. Sure buff may only have 2 or 3 top perfomance years but it's not like he's guaranteed to fall off a cliff after those years. He could continue to be a pretty decent defender even if slightly overpaid for a few more years. Lots of guys do.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Who cares. It's so petty to try and force other teams to admit they would accept a proposal for their best player in a trade that would never happen. If you want to engage in a dumb pointless argument then feel free but it's not hard to see that Gaudreau is their guy and he's given flames fans every reason to have his back.

No different then the good percentage here who would stick with Nurse if a hypothetical trade for Risto came up on HF despite one guy being clearly ahead of the other.

I would trade Nurse for Risto so fast it would break the sound barrier. As would 90% of this board.

As for petty, dumb, pointless, etc, you're tiptoeing right on the edge of flaming. Don't fall over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There's a big difference though, the Oilers arena was 1/2 empty at the same time and tickets were dirt cheap.

Today the Oilers are going to be sold out for the next 3-4 years just because of McDavid, and they will inevitably make more money from the new arena.

Of course not as much as they would have without the downturn, but it does insulate them reasonably well.

To me this isn't really much of a money issue anyway, it's not like Shea Weber is available this summer and we might not be able to sign him because the Canadian dollar is doing a number on ownership or we're forced to trade Hall because we can't afford him.

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I like Nurse but the dumbest thing they did was pass on Risto. Imagine having e Risto and realistically having Nurse in the other conference where you wouldn't have to see him very much if he turned out how everyone is hoping he turns out.

oilz89*

Gaudreau has scored 60 points in a season and has 43 this year. McDavid has.... 12.

McDavid has more potential easily, but the devaluing of a talented player in Gaudreau on this forum is irritating.

He's also been injured so how is this even being contested? :help:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would there be any interest in Jason Garrison from Tampa? They probably will have to move him if not Stralman.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Would there be any interest in Jason Garrison from Tampa? They probably will have to move him if not Stralman.

I'd take him for sure. Pretty solid net presence in his own end, smart with the puck in my opinion and has that "heavy" shot from the blue line.

Signed on until the end of the 2017-18 season at a $4.6 million dollar caphit, but real dollars goes down next season and season after.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Interesting. When Stauffer asked Chiarelli about the Oilers 2016 1st round pick and if it was 'in play', Chia was pretty direct in saying that it was not. He definitely sounded like he was going to keep that pick for the upcoming draft.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

I'm glad you brought it up anyways because it's a very real concern IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad