Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Will we ever get another dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue
I wonder if there's a chance we trade with San Jose. Their team is on 3 game streak but looked pretty bad up until this point and traded away their first round pick. Marleau wants out, the team is getting old. Might be time they start looking into a rebuild? McLellan knows their players and could help Chia in getting us some very useful players.

Burns and Wingels for RNH and Schultz?

They should be known as the Trevor and Cory of the NHL...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlp8R1JJzc

If Burns gets traded it will be for an unprotected top pick... and other stuff

Better throw in Nikitin to sweeten the deal.

IMO the only trade that would make sense would be an older player for a 1st. But I don't think SJ does that. If anything they would trade a prospect for a player, IMO and then trade Burns/Marleau (maybe) in the offseason.

I just don't see how you drop players when you're in the wildcard race

maybe; Lander and Nikitin for Chartier and a 4th aka random garbage depth moves.

Sure we can add a first round pick as well. Schultz for them is a huge downgrade but they are both RHD who are supposed to play an offensive game.

RNH is a way better player to have in your lineup than Wingels is. Oilers need more grit and more defence. San Jose has aging players and need younger talent. RNH being taught how to play C from Jumbo Joe would be big.

You're talking about a #1 Dman, all situations minute muncher. Names like Pietrangelo and OEL.

IF the Oilers sell the farm, they can perhaps get those GMs to listen but unless it's McDavid, you're likely adding substantially to those players/picks to get Dmen of that caliber. #1 Dmen who are signed multiple years for very reasonable dollars.

The names that generally become available are complimentary top pairing Dmen like Buff, perhaps Shattenkirk and Hamonic (although that's a special situation).
Of course a #1 can shake loose if he requests a trade like Pronger but I don't see any situations like that on the horizon in present time but for the most part, the type of Dmen that the Oilers can realistically get are going to have some warts.

Could be done at the draft. Doesn't matter when it's done for me as long as it's before next season starts. ASAP.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nonsense. We have a high pick maybe even first overall in what looks like a good draft at the top end. We have a top ten scorer in the league in Taylor Hall. We've got some other good pieces to add as well, Nurse, Drai, EB's, Nuge, Klefbom etc.

Don't give me this **** that we don't have the pieces to make a big move. We do.

We need to find a situation that allows us to utilize them to get the player we need. Those do happen and we absolutely need to be ready when it does.

You're talking about a #1 Dman, all situations minute muncher. Names like Pietrangelo and OEL.

IF the Oilers sell the farm, they can perhaps get those GMs to listen but unless it's McDavid, you're likely adding substantially to those players/picks to get Dmen of that caliber. #1 Dmen who are signed multiple years for very reasonable dollars.

The names that generally become available are complimentary top pairing Dmen like Buff, perhaps Shattenkirk and Hamonic (although that's a special situation).
Of course a #1 can shake loose if he requests a trade like Pronger but I don't see any situations like that on the horizon in present time but for the most part, the type of Dmen that the Oilers can realistically get are going to have some warts.

You are suggesting Chia should come here and start making major moves without even seeing the team play one game?

That is completely preposterous.

No but I'm sure he was aware of what Dmen were available and the fact that the Oilers need immediate help. This isn't a major move involving players he doesn't yet know about, it's moving draft picks at the draft.
If he felt these Dmen weren't available at the draft, he should have just taken the BPA at those spots and explore trade options later. They absolutely needed a top 4 Dman who can help now with those picks and he didn't succeed in doing that. I realize that is pretty unprecedented to deal prospects so soon after the draft but it should have been an option if he didn't find the help he was looking for.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Burns has more goals than any Oiler this year. As many as RNH and Eberle combined and a higher points per game than Hall, as a defenseman no less. Schultz has no value. The only way I see something going down is if the Sharks miss the playoffs and win a top 3 pick via the lottery which would go to the Bruins. That would increase the heat on management to get something done at the draft and maybe recoup a high pick, which the Oilers are sure to have. Eberle, Reinhart + package might be a good start for a Burns trade too. He has a very tight no trade clause so he'd have to want to come here though.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Sharks would be stupid to trade Brent Norris Burns within division. Only hope is to get him when he hits free agency and we cant afford to wait until then.
Chia needs to look elsewhere in particular WPG.

its pretty much Byfuglien or bust when it comes to Dman who can provide some offense.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think we need to be fine with trading one of Klefbom/Nurse in a package for a great RHD. We are loaded on the left side and have nothing on the right. Teams trading away a #1 D are going to want a great defensive prospect on the return.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I think we need to be fine with trading one of Klefbom/Nurse in a package for a great RHD. We are loaded on the left side and have nothing on the right. Teams trading away a #1 D are going to want a great defensive prospect on the return.

The longer we wait for a trade, the inclined I am with trading Klefbom. Sick of this waiting bull****

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sharks would be stupid to trade Brent Norris Burns within division. Only hope is to get him when he hits free agency and we cant afford to wait until then.
Chia needs to look elsewhere in particular WPG.

its pretty much Byfuglien or bust when it comes to Dman who can provide some offense.

Keith Yandle is a consistent 45-50+ point d-man and will be a UFA at seasons end. Although he shoots left. Goligoski doesn't bring quite as much offense (35-40 points), but plays a lot of minutes in Dallas. Again a left hand shot though.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Having two top 4 d-men who both happen to be LHD (Sekera and Klefbom) is in no way loaded on the left side.

We're loaded with a lot of inexperienced prospects and crap. Trading Klefbom for a RHD just creates another hole.

Nurse... I'd move for the right package.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

We trade away one of those guys and we're no longer loaded on the left side. Part of the point of getting an RHD is to get someone to play with Klef/Nurse.

The only subtractions we should be making from the blue are from our overpaid and useless group of Nikitin, Ference and Schultz.

I wonder if there's a chance we trade with San Jose. Their team is on 3 game streak but looked pretty bad up until this point and traded away their first round pick. Marleau wants out, the team is getting old. Might be time they start looking into a rebuild? McLellan knows their players and could help Chia in getting us some very useful players.

Burns and Wingels for RNH and Schultz?

I think you need to relax and get your mind around the idea that no trade is likely to happen until, at the very earliest, after the ASB, but more likely not until the deadline if then.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Another couple things I'd like to see from Chiarelli.

1) Make trades for proven winners. We don't have a single player on our team who has won a cup do we? Ference doesn't play but has been shown to be a great mentor and role model. Even trading for role players who know what it takes to win would be beneficial. I don't like that Chiarelli brought in players from Phoenix, Columbus, and Ottawa.

2) Fill the bottom 6 with grittier players. Our bottom 6 doesn't accomplish much. They aren't anything like the Bruins 4th line from Chiarelli's old team that was fast and always in your face. Always laying the body and putting pucks on net from everywhere. I have noticed with our bottom 6 that they rarely hit aside from Hendricks. When entering the offensive zone, they will often cycle the puck down low a few times before losing possession and getting a change. While this isn't terrible, I would like McLellan having those player rifle pucks at the net from everywhere instead. Cycle once and then drive the net. We could be accomplishing a lot more if Letestu cut into the middle of the ice and Korpikoski + Hendo go hard to the net instead of them both going behind the net to continue the cycle.

Perhaps we don't have the right players to accomplish this. Maybe this isn't even a viable strategy for our team. I really feel that our bottom 6 could accomplish way more by taking pucks to the net as often as possible instead of what they do now - cycle until losing possession.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Keith Yandle is a consistent 45-50+ point d-man and will be a UFA at seasons end. Although he shoots left. Goligoski doesn't bring quite as much offense (35-40 points), but plays a lot of minutes in Dallas. Again a left hand shot though.

Yandle alone wouldnt cut it.. Yandle + Hamonic might do.
Byfuglien by himself would check almost every checkboxes in terms of need at the back end.

Yandle will get the offense but will still leave a big gap in terms of physicality.
Hamonic the opposite.

Having two top 4 d-men who both happen to be LHD (Sekera and Klefbom) is in no way loaded on the left side.

We're loaded with a lot of inexperienced prospects and crap. Trading Klefbom for a RHD just creates another hole.

Nurse... I'd move for the right package.

Nurse in 3yrs would be a scary guy to go against... I wouldnt trade him for anything..

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Another couple things I'd like to see from Chiarelli.

1) Make trades for proven winners. We don't have a single player on our team who has won a cup do we? Ference doesn't play but has been shown to be a great mentor and role model. Even trading for role players who know what it takes to win would be beneficial. I don't like that Chiarelli brought in players from Phoenix, Columbus, and Ottawa.

2) Fill the bottom 6 with grittier players. Our bottom 6 doesn't accomplish much. They aren't anything like the Bruins 4th line from Chiarelli's old team that was fast and always in your face. Always laying the body and putting pucks on net from everywhere. I have noticed with our bottom 6 that they rarely hit aside from Hendricks. When entering the offensive zone, they will often cycle the puck down low a few times before losing possession and getting a change. While this isn't terrible, I would like McLellan having those player rifle pucks at the net from everywhere instead. Cycle once and then drive the net. We could be accomplishing a lot more if Letestu cut into the middle of the ice and Korpikoski + Hendo go hard to the net instead of them both going behind the net to continue the cycle.

Perhaps we don't have the right players to accomplish this. Maybe this isn't even a viable strategy for our team. I really feel that our bottom 6 could accomplish way more by taking pucks to the net as often as possible instead of what they do now - cycle until losing possession.

Yeah, the bottom 6 certainly looks to need a complete overhaul outside of Hendricks. Letestu is actually not so bad as well in my mind. But that leaves 4 more new players to put in there who can produce more offense and keep other teams honest.

I just don't see how this team turns things around without trading probably two of the kids for a different look both up front and on the blueline.. Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle perhaps...I don't know. I have jerseys for both of these guys. Don't want them to leave, but time has run out to keep trying the same thing over and over.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Yeah, the bottom 6 certainly looks to need a complete overhaul outside of Hendricks. Letestu is actually not so bad as well in my mind. But that leaves 4 more new players to put in there who can produce more offense and keep other teams honest.

I just don't see how this team turns things around without trading probably two of the kids for a different look both up front and on the blueline.. Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle perhaps...I don't know. I have jerseys for both of these guys. Don't want them to leave, but time has run out to keep trying the same thing over and over.

I think you're forgetting that this team would have a different look when healthy. Let's consider:

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Pou-Nuge-Eberle
Kassian-McDavid-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Lander

There's your bottom six overhaul and you don't even have to make a trade. :naughty:

Oct 15, 2008

No but I'm sure he was aware of what Dmen were available and the fact that the Oilers need immediate help. This isn't a major move involving players he doesn't yet know about, it's moving draft picks at the draft.
If he felt these Dmen weren't available at the draft, he should have just taken the BPA at those spots and explore trade options later. They absolutely needed a top 4 Dman who can help now with those picks and he didn't succeed in doing that. I realize that is pretty unprecedented to deal prospects so soon after the draft but it should have been an option if he didn't find the help he was looking for.

So now you are suggesting he should have done nothing and drafted another tiny dancer fancy Dan?

Pffft.

As for the nonsense you said we don't have the pieces to get a #1 dman without McDavid. That's so ridiculous its hardly worth responding to.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So now you are suggesting he should have done nothing and drafted another tiny dancer fancy Dan?

Pffft.

As for the nonsense you said we don't have the pieces to get a #1 dman without McDavid. That's so ridiculous its hardly worth responding to.

If Reinhart can't make this sorry squad that's a pretty damning indictment.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Never mind that your current whipping boy seems to be carrying the team offensively while the golden untouchable Kong Donkey Hall is doing nothing of value.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It gets an overhaul when we are healthy. We end up with a top 9 and then hendricks-letustu-kassian/pakrianen/whoever as the 4th line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad