Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Will we ever get another dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Could be the low dollar makes us a budget team again.

I would be very surprised if we throw significant money around this summer.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
yeah i get that he could play with hall and drai, but if the argument is "stamkos will come here to play with mcdavid" then playing with hall/drai is out the window, that's all i'm saying

i still haven't heard a reason why stamkos would come here that makes any sense

It's not going to happen, I'm playing devil's advocate a little here.

A) Maybe the W vs. C thing is being overblown and it's really not an issue...or at least not a big enough one that he'd have a problem being McDavid's winger.
or
B) Like the Hossa comparable, maybe he wants to play for a winner and (don't laugh yet) sees McDavid doing for the Oilers what Sid did for the Pens, and truly believes there's a good shot at a cup in the future. Maybe he thinks could help dynasty this place up.

Stamkos-McDavid-Doesn'tEvenMatter
Hall-Draisaitl-Doesn'tEvenMatter

Yeah, a winger is pretty much the last thing we need- but if you could get Stamkos out of Free Agency where all you're giving up is dollars, you don't say no to that.

We can say g'bye to any or all of RNH, Eberle, Yakupov to fill in the missing pieces on D. And if we were running a forward corps like that it's hard to think we're not a top destination for free agents.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't think it's as big of an issue. McLottery will ensure the Oilers make big money for the next decade pretty much, the building is still sold out every night and next year they move into that fancy new arena with much higher revenues.

They are pretty freaking lucky they won that lottery in several ways though.

That said I don't think they'll be spending willy nilly for no reason if they don't have to.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
RNH for Hamonic
Eberle+ 1st for Brodin + Coyle
Sign Lucic (has a history with Chiarelli)
Schultz for third line winger

Lucic/McDavid/Yakupov
Hall/Draisaitl/Kassian
Pouliot/Coyle/Schultz trade
Korp/Letestu/Hendricks

Sekera/Hamonic
Klefbom/Brodin
Nurse/Fayne
Davidson

Talbot
Nilsson or FA

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah I don't see it costing a top 10 pick to get Hamonic at the draft. Honestly if the trade does go down with us, I expect Eberle to be going the other way as a replacement for Okposo.

Like you said, Snow's ask for comparable D is one for within the season, but again as you mentioned, his bargaining power goes down. Especially since Hamonic has geographical preference.

I'd give up that pick before Eberle 20 times out of 10. I don't want more up and coming prospects. I want to add to our existing NHLers.

I just don't see them taking picks unless they can flip them. They will at the very least want a prospect that is playing+. Picks don't really help them

Part of that is because our defense is god awful at producing and moving the puck.

It all comes down to value. If that pick is the best value, then they should take it. They can use it or flip it or whatever. Can you think of a better offer for them from any of the reported teams that Hamonic wants to go to?

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Mainboards Flames fans saying they wouldn't trade Gaudreau for McDavid 1 for 1 totally makes my Monday morning :laugh:

If my team ends up in a playoff series, and that guy plays in more than 3 games of the series, I replace everyone on my 4th line. When the going gets tough, that guy is either going to disappear or get hurt. Look at his production when his coach doesn't have last change...

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It all comes down to value. If that pick is the best value, then they should take it. They can use it or flip it or whatever. Can you think of a better offer for them from any of the reported teams that Hamonic wants to go to?

I think this is when that deal goes down. Hamonic is leading that team in ice-time even with a healthy Boychuk on the roster. If that team has any interest in making a run at the playoffs, they're not trading the top defenseman in the middle of the season.

Depending on where the Okposo situation stands at the draft a deal of Hamonic and Okposo's rights with certainty he'll sign for Eberle and the 1st (Chychrun/Juolevi) is the type of blockbuster that could benefit both sides long-term. It'd be a tough price to pay, but it changes the dynamic in Edmonton immediately.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If my team ends up in a playoff series, and that guy plays in more than 3 games of the series, I replace everyone on my 4th line. When the going gets tough, that guy is either going to disappear or get hurt. Look at his production when his coach doesn't have last change...

Ya, between that, and his OT production, it's pretty clear that he's not a player you can send out to face anyone. He needs to be sheltered still

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Mainboards Flames fans saying they wouldn't trade Gaudreau for McDavid 1 for 1 totally makes my Monday morning :laugh:

Good chr...

Y'know...you hate to wish ill on a player because of a fanbase- especially one like Gaudreau who seems to be a legitimately decent kid- but man is there a big part of me that wants to see that kid **** the bed. The smug praise he's been getting has gone way beyond out-of-hand.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Any central revenues the team receives are in $USD. This probably leaves them with a shortfall of about say $50M on their $USD expenses. There was also a recent article about hedging strategies that the CDN teams use. Moreover, if the drop triggers revenue sharing the team could in theory make up the loss.

The net impact of this year's drop in the $CDN to the Oiler's bottom line is probably not that much more than the amount that the team is paying Nikitin to play in the minors. The move to the new building will cover this probably 4-5 times over.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Good chr...

Y'know...you hate to wish ill on a player because of a fanbase- especially one like Gaudreau who seems to be a legitimately decent kid- but man is there a big part of me that wants to see that kid **** the bed. The smug praise he's been getting has gone way beyond out-of-hand.

Did you see the CBC broadcast this weekend?

The entire broadcast consists of the CBC crew verbally jerking off their players throughout the three hour show. I don't blame Flames fans for falling for it. The hype train's in full effect for one of the top defenses in the league and they're sitting a comfortable two points ahead of us for last in the West.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Katz is a very rich man. A low dollar doesnt mean a budget team.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-richest-nhl-owners/?view=all

We have one of the most stable owners in hockey with some of the deepest pockets in the NHL.

Worth noting that the richest owner in the NHL, by far, runs a budget team IN Canada. If a team can't break even or has significant financial restraints, an owner has no incentive to lose tens of millions a year. Billionaires did not become billionaires by being reckless.

That being said, the Oilers have the single worst Arena deal right now. They're not only gaining nearly 2000 seats a game and increasing ticket prices in the new building, they're also cutting Northlands out. Even with a diminished CAD, the Oilers are likely to be FAR more profitable next year than they have been recently.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
You can't be serious. Guess I wouldn't give up Lander for McDavid either.

Gaudreau has scored 60 points in a season and has 43 this year. McDavid has.... 12.

McDavid has more potential easily, but the devaluing of a talented player in Gaudreau on this forum is irritating.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Gaurdreau has scored 60 points in a season and has 43 this year. McDavid has.... 12.

McDavid has more potential easily, but the devaluing of a talented player in Gaudreau on this forum is irritating.

Gaudreau is a very good hockey player, but in this case there isn't actually a hockey player in the world you should be willing to trade McDavid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad