Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Ok... So why can't Brady serve the same enforcer role for us? It's weird, teams apparently are deterred by the Caps having Wilson in their top 6, and we're deterred by Lucic on Bos back in 2009 in their top 6, but when it comes to Ottawa we can't count Brady as a deterrent?

I think we'll be fine with Brady, Watson and Kastelic.
Because if he breaks his hand punching a helmet everyone will lose their minds.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Because if he breaks his hand punching a helmet everyone will lose their minds.
People lose their minds no matter what happens. The reality is we're at the stage where we lose our minds about hypothetical situations that aren't likely to happen.

Brady will get into fights regardless of who else is on the roster, so worrying about a broken hand is just part of the deal with him even if it never happens.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
People lose their minds no matter what happens. The reality is we're at the stage where we lose our minds about hypothetical situations that aren't likely to happen.

Brady will get into fights regardless of who else is on the roster, so worrying about a broken hand is just part of the deal with him even if it never happens.
It's one thing to let him fight and another to expect him to fight.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
The shift from a slow bruising team to a more agile & skilled team was inevitably going to happen as this team improved. Why are we so excited for this upcoming season? It's because we've gotten rid of guys like Josh Brown, Gudbranson, Sabourin (we still have him but we won't be playing him for 30+ games this season) and we've replaced them with skill guys like Sanderson, DeBrinact, Giroux, and a hoard of other guys who have skill-based games.

This transition inevitably had to come if we ever wanted to take another step forward in the rebuild. It would be nice to have a Chris Neil in the lineup but there's a reason why he was so loved by Sens fans. He's a rare-breed no matter what era he was in.

I like to think Brady, Kastelic, Watson (yes he sucks at fighting but he's still a big & physical guy), and even Kelly can handle most of the physical assignments this upcoming season.

And hopefully in a few years, we can find roles for Kleven & Ostapchuk who look like they'll be molding into very nice players with some talent, size, and physicality.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's one thing to let him fight and another to expect him to fight.
there's no such thing as "letting" him fight. Sure there are times when the bench may instruct him not to but for the most part he is who he is. He plays hard nosed in your face hockey and regardless of whether he wants to fight, he's going to have to answer for the way that he plays several times a year.

The fact that he seems to enjoy it is a bonus

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
there's no such thing as "letting" him fight. Sure there are times when the bench may instruct him not to but for the most part he is who he is. He plays hard nosed in your face hockey and regardless of whether he wants to fight, he's going to have to answer for the way that he plays several times a year.

The fact that he seems to enjoy it is a bonus
Semantics. His job is to win, if fighting helps achieve that then he fights.

Hes not going to get a tap on the shoulder to go have a staged fight with a Neanderthal from the ECHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Semantics. His job is to win, if fighting helps achieve that then he fights.

Hes not going to get a tap on the shoulder to go have a staged fight with a Neanderthal from the ECHL.
Why are we having staged fights again? Staged fights don't stop dirty plays, they don't accomplish anything and nobody is asking Tkachuk or anybody to do that.

Jesus, we've gone from we need a response when somebody throws a dirty hit or a threat to make sure the opposition doesn't cross lines to but we can't have Brady break his hand in a meaningless staged fight, enough with the strawman garbage.

Reactions: bicboi64 and cudi

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Why are we having staged fights again? Staged fights don't stop dirty plays, they don't accomplish anything and nobody is asking Tkachuk or anybody to do that.

Jesus, we've gone from we need a response when somebody throws a dirty hit or a threat to make sure the opposition doesn't cross lines to but we can't have Brady break his hand in a meaningless staged fight, enough with the strawman garbage.
I don't what you're talking about. Clearly I've followed you into some strange vortex again.

Whatever your point is I agree.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree with much of it, I didn’t know “throwing away” to you meant casuals fans waiting out the rebuild doing other stuff, all good.

Again I agree with your second point. We got to the same point Calgary just did when we had to trade Stone and Duchene and EK. Their disappointment was a playoff loss, ours was falling off a cliff after ECF. The difference in my opinion was that they still had some good players that could keep their window open if the could make the right trades, and they had an ownership that refused to rebuild. For us, we were losing all of our best players outside of Chabot, didn’t have the money available to replace the lost talent with talent, and an owner who wanted a scorched earth, money saving rebuild.

I think we did really well with our situation so far, and I think Calgary did really well in their situation so far. Different avenues available for sure, you just have to do well at it. In my opinion though, at some point you have to tear it down and gather top draft picks if you want to be dominant again for a long stretch.

As for the process, it was 5 years of sucking, but only 4 of them were part of any process, as one was a complete blindside. Of those 4 years 1.5 years were the year down, and the rest was the build up with overlap in year two.

Not actually that long to wait for what has been built so far in my opinion. Sucks to wait for sure, but truly, in terms of having to wait for playoffs, and watching a sucking team, Sens fans are nowhere close to a league sob story. We’ve always had it pretty good compared to the true NHL misery in fact.
Honestly, I didn't mean to go down this road of revisiting history of the Senators. You enjoy the rebuild road more than i apparently and that's fine. I was just trying to give a perspective that I liked what Calgary did this summer and that there's more than one way to do things. Ottawa rebuild is not all of a sudden the rule sort of thing. Of course rebuilds are sometimes necessary, but it gets a little buzz word heavy at times with how often they don't work out and how some teams, granted usually teams with more money to blow than us, go in different directions to varying degrees of success. Treliving may regret the back half of some of these contracts, but he's also built a contender on paper imo so we'll see what happens and if its worth it.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The Battle of Alberta should be fun & entertaining again this year. I'll have to catch a few of those games. That's one by product of Calgary staying as a competitive/good team. It's good for hockey.

On the Simmonds front, glad we didn't offer a 4th and a player for waiver wire Wayne like some suggested.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Show the boys some Gordie Howe videos. Learn how to get those elbows up to defend themselves. It may not be clean hockey, but you can be sure guys won't run our players too often if they know they'll get a hard elbow to the face for their troubles.

...and I'm only half kidding.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Ok... So why can't Brady serve the same enforcer role for us? It's weird, teams apparently are deterred by the Caps having Wilson in their top 6, and we're deterred by Lucic on Bos back in 2009 in their top 6, but when it comes to Ottawa we can't count Brady as a deterrent?

I think we'll be fine with Brady, Watson and Kastelic.

Well the most obvious reason you don’t want Brady to be your main “deterrent” is that Brady has been our leading scorer each of the past two seasons while Wilson is usually far lower on the scoring depth chart for Washington.

Even then, at this point in his career you’d rather Wilson let someone else do it.

Brady, Watson and Kastelic is a good start for sure. I’d just like to see one tough D man (who can play).

I agree, but guys in the top six pick and choose a lot more because they are difference makers.

Gone are the days where there was a guy designated to sit in the box for 5, or on the bench.

Neither team wants Brady, nor Wilson sitting in the box for 5. Has to be worth it, kind of thing, and those types are extremely rare to find.

Neil was a unicorn, but guys on the team that can play and fight like Fisher are now the gems.

Agreed. Still, my point was just that it isn’t true that cup win I g teams don’t have enforcers. Most winning teams have balance, that’s what you have to shoot for. If you lean too far on skill you end up soft like the leafs. Over-invest on physicality and you don’t have enough game breaking skill.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well the most obvious reason you don’t want Brady to be your main “deterrent” is that Brady has been our leading scorer each of the past two seasons while Wilson is usually far lower on the scoring depth chart for Washington.
Well I doubt Brady continues to lead the team in scoring, Batherson was pacing at a better clip, Norris at the same clip, Stützle is progressing at a rate where you'd expect him to surpass him this year, DeBrincat and Giroux have both been added to the team as well. Tkachuk could very easily finish behind all of them.

A guy like Wilson fights what, a half dozen times a year, even that most frequent fighters only hit around a dozen. That fighting Maj would cost Tkachuk 3-4 shifts in a game, not a big deal, and he's going to fight regardless, it's in his nature and a byproduct of the way he plays.
Even then, at this point in his career you’d rather Wilson let someone else do it.
Sure, but the point was he still is the one acting as a deterrent for Washington, teams know if they do cross the line, he'll step up, you just don't want him doing the pointless fights.
Brady, Watson and Kastelic is a good start for sure. I’d just like to see one tough D man (who can play).
I think it's more than a good start personally. If we add a Dman that can play and also happens to be a good scrapper great, but I don't see the need to go out and seek one, maybe that changes if we don't extend Watson.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Steve Simmons is this annoying to Leaf’s fans, maybe Ottawa should sign him, and then when on HNIC Saturday night after every Sens defeat of the Leaves just have Simmons in the box getting close ups of him smiling just so we can be that fanbase?

Thoughts?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If Steve Simmons is this annoying to Leaf’s fans, maybe Ottawa should sign him, and then when on HNIC Saturday night after every Sens defeat of the Leaves just have Simmons in the box getting close ups of him smiling just so we can be that fanbase?

Thoughts?

Who?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

The clickbait creep next door

steve-simmons.jpeg.256x256_q100_crop-smart.jpg

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Well I doubt Brady continues to lead the team in scoring, Batherson was pacing at a better clip, Norris at the same clip, Stützle is progressing at a rate where you'd expect him to surpass him this year, DeBrincat and Giroux have both been added to the team as well. Tkachuk could very easily finish behind all of them.

Possible. I’d bet Brady still finishes top 3.

A guy like Wilson fights what, a half dozen times a year, even that most frequent fighters only hit around a dozen. That fighting Maj would cost Tkachuk 3-4 shifts in a game, not a big deal, and he's going to fight regardless, it's in his nature and a byproduct of the way he plays.

Don’t get me wrong, fighting is and should be a part of Brady’s game. I just don’t want him to be the one answering to scrubs if it can be avoided (and sometimes it can’t).

Sure, but the point was he still is the one acting as a deterrent for Washington, teams know if they do cross the line, he'll step up, you just don't want him doing the pointless fights.

Agree.

I think it's more than a good start personally. If we add a Dman that can play and also happens to be a good scrapper great, but I don't see the need to go out and seek one, maybe that changes if we don't extend Watson.

It’s too bad Gudbranson didn’t work out in a Holden like role.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Possible. I’d bet Brady still finishes top 3
As a bit of a tangent, I think he probably finishes lower unless guys get injured. I think a healthy Batherson, Stützle and DeBrincat are locks to finish ahead of Tkachuk this year. Giroux and Norris are more questionable

Heck, Chabot might even be in the mix given our deeper lineup.i don't think he will but I think he's capable of 70 pts.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
As a bit of a tangent, I think he probably finishes lower unless guys get injured. I think a healthy Batherson, Stützle and DeBrincat are locks to finish ahead of Tkachuk this year. Giroux and Norris are more questionable

Heck, Chabot might even be in the mix given our deeper lineup.i don't think he will but I think he's capable of 70 pts.
Chabot won't put up 50+ points again. He won't, can't, isn't allowed to shoot on the powerplay. It's frustrating as hell watching him with the puck on the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad