Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Laine is an RFA at the end of this season and currently earns $7.5M per.

Scoring points at a rate of about 0.875 PPG. I have concerns about his defensive play without the puck.

Having Laine on the Senators would be a good addition. Not sure if Melnyk would want to pay his salary in future years.

Kleven plus a 1st in 2022 (top 5 protected) would be a decent trade.
I’m not sure we have the space to add another 8M+ forward and if we did there are a number of them I would target ahead of Laine.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No to trading Kleven, no to Laine, work ethic is the main issue with him, and no to trading a top puck for Fiala.

Problem solved :)

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'd love to get Fiala he would be an incredible fit with Stu.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Who would you prefer?
Hertl, Tkachuk as direct comparisons. More realistically Giroux. I don’t really see the cap space for anyone other than Giroux since the others will be 8M+ with lots of term.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
We need to Define "continuity" as applied to hockey team rosters. What does it mean?

1. the ability to play the game at a high level with another player on the team?
2. the ability to play the team system?
3. ?

We're clearly somewhere in the same ballpark, but I'm not sure I follow. Ability of whom? The players or the team as a whole? I wasn't thinking of it as ability at all, but rather simply having largely the a.) same players b.) under the same coaches and system - from one year to the next. The Sens have had the same coaching staff, but have had massive roster overhaul especially the summer of the previous season. All teams have some amount of turnover from year to year, but if most of the team stays together, it is only the new players that have to acclimate. The more turnover there is, the more chemistry and systematicity (lol) will be disrupted.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Didn’t he mean continuity as in try and bring targeted players in before the season ends so that they can play with the team to close out the season and be primed to hit the ground running next season?

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
No to trading Kleven, no to Laine, work ethic is the main issue with him, and no to trading a top puck for Fiala.

Problem solved :)

I do not agree about work ethic with Laine. Anyone who knows anything about me knows I worship Torts and take his word as gospel. Throughout all of his issues with Laine last season, Torts was adamant that work ethic was not the issue, getting pretty fired up about it. Said the problem was quite the opposite, had to do with how passionate Laine is and how bad he wants to be a difference-maker. The problem with Laine is thinking he is bigger than the team, going into business for himself, not being a team player - however you want to put it. Anyways, I absolutely do not condone trading for Laine, just wanted to clear that up.

Again, we need to be patient and not make a move just to make a move. I've come around slightly on Toffoli, but still think there will be much better opportunities. Chychrun, Dunn, Provorov, Konecny would be my prime targets right now. But the point is just keep our cool. We should be aggressive, but cool. Think bigger than Anderson, Toffoli or Giroux. No thanks to bad contracts, expiring contracts or aging veterans. I want a major impact player on the right side of ~25 locked up to a team-friendly contract with some term. Again, Chychrun, Provorov, Konecny would be perfect. Dunn less so, but would still be pretty good. Players like that, and especially with contracts like that, are going to cost your shirt, coat, house and your bottom dollar, but the Sens have the assets to make it happen. And it makes sense for the Sens from an ownership point of view because of value of the contracts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We definitely need to keep our first round picks. Especially when they're in the top 10.

All this money we're already projecting to pay the kids on their 2nd and 3rd contracts, yet we're still a bottom 5 team. Pretty soon we'll be nudging against the cap and still in the bottom third of the league. We need a steady supply of good draft picks coming up on their ELCs if we have any hope in the next few years.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we have a 8-10th range pick and decide to make another Boucher pick where skill is not prioritized, I'd much rather they trade it for some forwards mentioned in the last few posts. We need skill and scoring, some established NHL talent might be more important then someone who'll make an impact in a few years. If its top 5, keep that shit

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
If we have a 8-10th range pick and decide to make another Boucher pick where skill is not prioritized, I'd much rather they trade it for some forwards mentioned in the last few posts. We need skill and scoring, some established NHL talent might be more important then someone who'll make an impact in a few years. If its top 5, keep that shit

I disagree with this sentiment just due to the nature of this particular draft. It is not at all top heavy, but very strong through the top 12-14 or so, maybe even closer to 20. Unless you're picking first overall, I just don't see that much of a difference between 3 and 12. If it is for the right player with the right contract, trade the pick, otherwise don't. The only caveat there being the risk that it is first overall. Shane Wright looks pretty special.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hertl, Tkachuk as direct comparisons. More realistically Giroux. I don’t really see the cap space for anyone other than Giroux since the others will be 8M+ with lots of term.

Hertl I like. But he's a C. So I'm assuming you want Stutzle to play wing. I could get on board with that, but would rather play Jimmy in the middle.

Tkatchuk is nice too.

Giroux would be good, but he's old. I'm looking for someone younger that can grow with the team.

My preference would be Hertl, Laine, Tkatchuk and Giroux.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hertl I like. But he's a C. So I'm assuming you want Stutzle to play wing. I could get on board with that, but would rather play Jimmy in the middle.

Tkatchuk is nice too.

Giroux would be good, but he's old. I'm looking for someone younger that can grow with the team.

My preference would be Hertl, Laine, Tkatchuk and Giroux.
There’s just no rhyme or reason as to why hertl would be available

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
What do you think of trading for Dumba??

Dumba has next year at 6 mil cap hit but makes 5.2 mil and is 27.

I'd slot him

Chabot-Zub

Sanderson-Dumba

Thoughts??

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What do you think of trading for Dumba??

Dumba has next year at 6 mil cap hit but makes 5.2 mil and is 27.

I'd slot him

Chabot-Zub

Sanderson-Dumba

Thoughts??

With the emergence of Thomson and Brannstrom, we have guys who can sustain top 4 minutes in the pipeline. What we don't have, is a top line capable winger for Stutzle. I'm quite high on Sokolov, but there's a greater chance Thomson becomes effective top 4 than Sokolov top 6, so we must ensure to get Stutzle his help.

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
First line winger Connor brown

Honestly if you have a good player, Stutzle and C.Brown on top of the Norris line you're in really good shape.

Brown has been producing at a 50 pts clip for the past 3 years (60 pts this season and I don't think he started the year well either). That's top 6 production on top of being a good forechecker, very good defensively and he turns pucks over.

Not the worst case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad