Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Nope. They all got changed. They were talking about this a few weeks back when the rumors about Tkachuk wanting out were floated around.

Who is "they" that were talking about this? It has not changed for contracts signed before the change was made. The CapFriendly calculator would take this into account if true.

Assen na yo.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Nope. They all got changed. They were talking about this a few weeks back when the rumors about Tkachuk wanting out were floated around.

I'd like to see from proof for this.

Find it hard to believe that existing deals signed would have their qualifying offers changed when Tkachuk and Boeser undoubtedly fought hard for a large salary in their final year specifically to have a high QO.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I made a mistake:
"Instead of being based on the salary in the final year of the contract, it will now be based on the lower of the salary of the final season of the deal or 120% of the AAV."

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Qualifying Offers

In the previous CBA, for a team to keep the rights to a Restricted Free Agent, they were required to make an offer of 100% of their final year base salary (if the player made $1M +). That led to some interesting contract structures, where the final year of the contract is much higher than the rest so that the RFA Qualifying Offer after the contract will be very high.

Take Timo Meier for Example, he signed a 4 year $6M Cap Hit, with a base salary of $10M in 2022-23, which is his final year before RFA status.
Meier.png

With this contract, San Jose must offer him a $10M salary in 2023 or he’ll become an Unrestricted Free Agent and they’ll lose his rights.

In the MOU 68, this changes. For contracts signed starting now, if the final year salary is more than 120% of the AAV/Cap Hit of the contract, then the Qualifying Offer required is only 120% of the AAV. In Meier’s example, instead of a $10M contract offer, this contract would require a $7.2M Qualifying to retain his RFA rights. This serves to lower the Qualifying Offer and therefore potentially lowering the next contract.

“For contracts starting now”. All these guys were signed before the changes. Unless it means all contracts signed regardless. Can’t see agents or players signing contracts with different rules being to pleased with changes that leave millions in the table from what they agreed upon.

Key Salary Cap Changes in new CBA | Puckpedia

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDebater

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It would be very strange for that change to be retroactively applied since contracts like Tkachuk's were negotiated with the old framework in mind.

Tkachuk and Boeser wanted their final year to be that high in order to get the QO way up, that is what they based their entire strategy around.

Reactions: Boud and BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
These two sentences seem to, at best, have nothing to do with one another and, at worst, run in direct contradiction to one another.

Edmonton needs help on D. This board craps on Mete and DZ all day long, so why not offer them up for a trade. I know my grammar sucks. You're being needlessly childish and condescending when any simpleton could have connected the dots.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Edmonton needs help on D. This board craps on Mete and DZ all day long, so why not offer them up for a trade. I know my grammar sucks. You're being needlessly childish and condescending when any simpleton could have connected the dots.
They aren’t help though, they are healthy scratches on the worst blue line in hockey

We could offer them up, but they aren’t why Edmonton would be looking for.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I wasnt commenting on your grammar at all nor was I saying you were unclear. I was just saying that MDZ and Mete would be of no interest to Edmonton unless we take a bad player & contract back in return. Mayyyybe we could trade Mete for Turris? Maybe? Maybe we could trade MDZ with 50% retention/retain up to the point where he can be buried? But in general, all I was saying is that "help on the left side" and "MDZ and Mete" don't mix.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Edmonton loves having crappy defenders. If we can move Del Zotto to em (who'll probably have inflated numbers on their PP) I hope PD can make it happen. Retain half and let's get a 3rd round pick of of MDZ!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

The issue is that neither player will help Edmonton in terms of defense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Huh? The MoU still says otherwise, did they sign a new MoU?

NHL mou eff 10 Jul 2020 said:
For SPCs signed after the date of this agreement, if the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of a Player’s Qualifying Offer would otherwise be greater than 120% of the Averaged Amount of the SPC, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will instead be 120% of the Averaged Amount.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
How have we made zero moves to improve this club 20 games in????

We need a trade/shake up in the worst way and they're teams that are looking to make deals.
Wtfffffffff are the Pierres doing??

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

We need a trade/shake up in the worst way and they're teams that are looking to make deals.

Is there a point? I’d actually rather do nothing and just hope for the best pick than go waste assets to save a season that’s already lost. Different story if you can get a piece that can help you in the future as well but that’s tough a month into the season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

I mean they had all offseason and did nothing except reduce the depth on the team by moving Dadnov and overpaying Tkachuk

What makes you think they can do a move now when the season is on?

Reactions: Bileur

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I mean they had all offseason and did nothing except reduce the depth on the team by moving Dadnov and overpaying Tkachuk

What makes you think they can do a move now when the season is on?

We're not the only team struggling right now. Vancouver is looking to make moves as is arizona (barf).
There's gotta be a move to be made or a somebody in Europe who's avail.
If we dont make moves now, then when? Offseason? We're gonna go 4-62 -15?
Hows all that losing gonna serve Jimmy and Sanderson the savior?

We need to be looking for ways to bolster this club asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad