Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Vegas is the only team willing to pay the high price. They have to win now because they are going to be brutal in 3 to 4 years.

Everybody else knows that Eichel is bad mojo and has health concerns.
The price probably isn’t even that high

only a few teams can take on his cap and salary

too bad Ottawa doesn’t have the balls to make the deal

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Eichel would change the game for us

add a top 4 d and bam

I'd prioritize a dman before a forward. Eichel's contract and neck injury are far too concerning. We have a decent group of forwards.

Eichel would make us way better for sure but the risk is sky high.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'd prioritize a dman before a forward. Eichel's contract and neck injury are far too concerning. We have a decent group of forwards.

Eichel would make us way better for sure but the risk is sky high.
I would say we should prioritize both

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Watching the game tonight, Dorion has a lot of work to do. Curious how much budget he has to work with though.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
We should sign Eric Staal to the Spezza deal. Overpay if you need to and get him at 1 year $1.5M. He could easily be on our second PP and we inflate his stats and move him at the deadline.

Reactions: Tremblay31

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
I'm gonna say what we are all thinking but a couple long term injuries to our bottem 4 defense might give us a better idea of what's burning contract years in the ahl. No one wants to go there but most of those nhl players have no significant value on the market.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
For me, the goal of this season is to be within striking distance of the playoffs when Sanderson enters the lineup after the NCAA finishes while spending the least possible dollars and assets to get there.

Right now it’s looking like we will have to add to get tho that point.

Hopefully we’re not going after another top pick. I wouldn’t be unhappy but I feel like this should be the year we get out of the basement.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
For me, the goal of this season is to be within striking distance of the playoffs when Sanderson enters the lineup after the NCAA finishes while spending the least possible dollars and assets to get there.

Right now it’s looking like we will have to add to get tho that point.

Hopefully we’re not going after another top pick. I wouldn’t be unhappy but I feel like this should be the year we get out of the basement.
Not in the cards, this is not a playoff contention team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Excuse me, sir. I have read numerous times on this sub that he is at least 42 years old and also 38 years old, but is definitely 35 years old and will be 39 years old after a 3 year deal.

Well Zorf, maybe you should reread this sub?

Than ask yourself how old (you think) he will be when you think we play in any future playoff games having extended him to a suggested 3 year deal.

You could even take it a step further and see how his eventual cap hit at 37 years old may interfere with signing Sanderson, Stutzle, JBD, Greig, Lassi or who ever too.

It’s highly probable that we may have given two top prospects away for a guy that wouldn’t play in the playoffs for us before he is 36 years old. The earliest it could be is 35… Who knows what type of game he has left.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not in the cards, this is not a playoff contention team.

I think Ottawa can make the playoffs - but that game last night was ugly and bringing that effort makes you wonder if the team understands how hard the league is.

The players took Chicago for granted and Ottawa shouldn’t take any break for granted

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I think Ottawa can make the playoffs - but that game last night was ugly and bringing that effort makes you wonder if the team understands how hard the league is.

The players took Chicago for granted and Ottawa shouldn’t take any break for granted

I don't know if we took them lightly as much as we couldn't get any saves and we couldn't cash on our chances.

Imo we need secondary scoring. That 2nd line should be Jimmy-Paul- Formenton/Ennis

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
At this point I would take a flyer on some horrid player with offensive player simply to plant them on the 2nd PP. just get the cheapest biggest shot you can find. Which dude with a massive slap shot can I get for a 6th round pick.

Reactions: DrEasy

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
At this point I would take a flyer on some horrid player with offensive player simply to plant them on the 2nd PP. just get the cheapest biggest shot you can find. Which dude with a massive slap shot can I get for a 6th round pick.

Shattenkirk?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think we are legitimately 3 pieces away from being a playoff team next year. One is coming in Sanderson which leaves a reliable 2nd pair D to support him and a 2nd line RW. These pieces will cost assets but our internal solutions won’t be ready.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Still not sure why Dorion wasn't able to add a better defenseman during the offseason. Its clearly the team's biggest need. (assuming one of the goalies is able to take the reigns)

Maybe there wasn't a good fit, I dunno I'm not privy to that information. But it's pretty disappointing when literally everyone knew the defense was going to be a mess going into a season after the rebuild was declared to be over.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Still not sure why Dorion wasn't able to add a better defenseman during the offseason. Its clearly the team's biggest need. (assuming one of the goalies is able to take the reigns)

Maybe there wasn't a good fit, I dunno I'm not privy to that information. But it's pretty disappointing when literally everyone knew the defense was going to be a mess going into a season after the rebuild was declared to be over.
he did add a defensemen. MDZ!

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
one thing we need to keep in mind is patience... yes it sucks being a basement team for 5 seasons... however our key players are:

mostly under 25 (Brown and Zub are over, Brown shouldn't be key but is)

Haven't even gotten to 300 games (an arbitrary number used for d-men back in Ceci's early days)

a few haven't even played a full 82 game season!

one player we're all projecting to be a key contributor is still in college...

here's the way I see it currently.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson - Key contributors (Norris hasn't even played 82 games yet)

Stützle - Pinto - Brown - Key contributors (Stützle and Pinto haven't played 82, Pinto is a rookie, ideally Brown is depth and a PKER instead of a key offensive contributor)

als0 ideally Pinto is an elite 3rd line C ala Cirelli or Fisher.

on D we have 2 key contributors, one alright NHL D, and 3 who shouldn't be on an NHL roster.

Chabot - Zub - Key contributors (Zub, although 26, hasn't played a full 82 games)

if these were normal times and a pandemic hadn't slowed everything down, things may be a little different.

however if you look at it in a purely games played sort of way?

Norris, Stützle, Pinto and Zub are all still in their rookie seasons...

ultimately this team is:

2 top 6 players (1 C 1 RW)
2 top 4 D (both sides)
and some stable, competent goaltending away from truly competing... we have 1 projected piece of that in Sanderson, 1 hopeful piece of that if Gustavsson keeps up and proves hes the real deal...

so unless some key acquisitions are made between now and next year, were still 2 key pieces away from truly contending.

and thats not even mentioning the depth... which I think we have 4 pieces on our roster right now (Paul, Pinto, Brown, Formenton)

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I should also mention in regards to my above post... the only player we have capable of taking up one of those 4 roles currently is Sanderson.

Sokolov is not ready to take on a top 6 role on the team.

Grieg is not ready to be a 3c on an NHL team.

JBD and Thomson and even Brannstrom are not ready to be top 4 NHL dmen... and we shouldn't be looking to (and I don't think our coach would) straddle Sanderson with another rookie.

if we finish bottom 10 this year, we have the chance of picking up a potential top 6 C. However based on the 4's current play across the spectrum? (Wright, Savoie, Geekie, Lambert) I'm not entirely sure any of them would be true difference makers in there rookie years, at least not without proper support...

we are not going to fill the key spots with rookies... or at least, if we do? with the prospects we currently have, next year is not going to be a contending year either...

this team doesn't make noise with:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stützle - Pinto - Sokolov
Paul - Grieg - Brown
Formenton - White - Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
MDZ - Thomson

Murray
Gustavsson

it just won't happen.

Status