Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea, after thinking about it, Matthew would be terrific on paper but could ruin dynamic in the lockerroom.

If we even thinking of conjuring up a package for him, Filip Forsberg is the way to go. We already know how good he plays in defensive system and he's even more of a dynamic offensive scorer than Matthew.

Hertl could also be a very smart add--with extension in place. Not a flat out number 1 C but Hertl, Norris, Pinto down the middle could be very effective until Stutzle transitions over. If we want to "buy low" on a younger player we can try for Meier. Maybe Dubois becomes available again?

There will definitely be some options this off-season to improve this team. Best way to go is to try and outbid for Krejci on a short term contract, lose Tierney/White(or both) and sign short term LD/RD option. It's important not to get handcuffed to anything too risky, but also to improve the team a bit here and there so as to continue the momentum next year and not stagnate.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yea, after thinking about it, Matthew would be terrific on paper but could ruin dynamic in the lockerroom.

If we even thinking of conjuring up a package for him, Filip Forsberg is the way to go. We already know how good he plays in defensive system and he's even more of a dynamic offensive scorer than Matthew.

Hertl could also be a very smart add--with extension in place. Not a flat out number 1 C but Hertl, Norris, Pinto down the middle could be very effective until Stutzle transitions over. If we want to "buy low" on a younger player we can try for Meier. Maybe Dubois becomes available again?

There will definitely be some options this off-season to improve this team. Best way to go is to try and outbid for Krejci on a short term contract, lose Tierney/White(or both) and sign short term LD/RD option. It's important not to get handcuffed to anything too risky, but also to improve the team a bit here and there so as to continue the momentum next year and not stagnate.
I don’t see us stagnating next year even without moves. Our only key pieces over 25 next year are Daddy 32, Brown 28, Paul 26 up front, Zaitsev 30 and Zub 26 on D and Murray 27. I expect growth from everyone else. Still a very young team. A full TC and understanding of the systems leads me to believe we only need a couple depth/stop gap adds.

Reactions: NB613

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
To me it actually seems like the ideal time. The way I see it the majority of our top prospects/young guys are playing in the NHL (Sanderson being the exception, and who knows JBD might be spending time in Bellville next season). Outside of Sanderson I don't see a single "sure thing" prospect, and most of the best remaining prospects are guys like Sokolov who I anticipate will be more of a depth guy.

Greig seems like a sure thing and probably not just as a depth guy.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
My point is you can make an equally compelling argument - due to their family dynamic - that trading for Matthew would improve the play or Brady, the play of the team, and the team's chemistry.

it could have consequences, but it also could have a massive benefit to the trajectory of this franchise.

What I could see happening with a trade for Matthew is the brothers both commit long term to the Senators. It's the perfect time with both needing new contracts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Greig seems like a sure thing and probably not just as a depth guy.
I like Greig a lot, and he's really young so lots of time to develop further.

Having said that, I wonder if he slots in as a LW or a Center in the he NHL, either way he's got some stuff competition in in Stützle, Tkachuk and Formenton at LW and Norris, Pinto up the middle, potentially L.Brown too.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like Greig a lot, and he's really young so lots of time to develop further.

Having said that, I wonder if he slots in as a LW or a Center in the he NHL, either way he's got some stuff competition in in Stützle, Tkachuk and Formenton at LW and Norris, Pinto up the middle, potentially L.Brown too.

Yeah, I see him as more of a winger, but that's just my opinion.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I really do not want to spend young assets to bring in a vet like Mathew Tkachuk or Jack Eichel. Great players - cost too much of our young talent. I would look at the UFA list and target a RD, that's about it based on the UFA list this year.

I would be interested to move up from 10 in the draft a couple of spots to get a player we cove. I'd offer a White plus our 1st. It was hypothesized a 1st and 2nd would be the cost, and if the player Mann wanted was there, I'd think hard about that (lower 2nd maybe a third).
If Kraken get pushed down to 5, they may be open to a White/Tierney/Dadanov/Murray and our 1st, or similar. With that type of trade I would be looking to divest a vet with the pick to get the player we target and give Kraken a useful player for now, as well as the pick. Maybe another team in that range would be interested as well. Who knows.
Just hope Dorion keeps his phone off when the vultures start to circle for our youth. No more Galchenyuks or Gudbransons.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really do not want to spend young assets to bring in a vet like Mathew Tkachuk or Jack Eichel. Great players - cost too much of our young talent. I would look at the UFA list and target a RD, that's about it based on the UFA list this year.

I would be interested to move up from 10 in the draft a couple of spots to get a player we cove. I'd offer a White plus our 1st. It was hypothesized a 1st and 2nd would be the cost, and if the player Mann wanted was there, I'd think hard about that (lower 2nd maybe a third).
If Kraken get pushed down to 5, they may be open to a White/Tierney/Dadanov/Murray and our 1st, or similar. With that type of trade I would be looking to divest a vet with the pick to get the player we target and give Kraken a useful player for now, as well as the pick. Maybe another team in that range would be interested as well. Who knows.
Just hope Dorion keeps his phone off when the vultures start to circle for our youth. No more Galchenyuks or Gudbransons.
Tkachuk is 4 months older than Batherson. Eichel a year. They are not vets, they are young superstars

Reactions: NB613

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Tkachuk is 4 months older than Batherson. Eichel a year. They are not vets, they are young superstars
I just would not want to give up say three good assets to acquire them. We have worked hard to draft/acquire Pinto, Sanderson, Batherson types and that is exactly what the cost will be. I say no thanks and will stick to what I see developing on the ice.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't expect to Dorion to go after any big fish this summer (aka. Eichel). I also don't expect him going after anyone who's going to be looking for major term and dollars (aka. Reinhart). The players I'd target:

A top 6 center who could play wing:
  • David Krejci (UFA) - Can still play an offensive role (44 pts in 51 games this year), comes from a winning culture, can slot in on the 2nd line with Stützle.
  • Ryan Strome (Trade) - A guy who can fit in with any skill player, at C or RW. Could be available if the Rangers make a big push for Eichel.
  • Nolan Patrick (Trade) - Not a top 6 player now, but a reclamation project ala Turris.
Depth defenseman:
  • Kevan Miller (UFA) - Big guy who can pitch in in the top 4 or play as the #6. Unlikely though, probably wants 3-4 years on a deal and a top-4 role.
  • Jason Demers (UFA) - Can come in and play on the bottom pairing with Mete, so J.Brown can stay as the #7.
  • Marc Staal (UFA) - Leadership/depth. Can still play 16-17 minutes a night on a bottom pairing.
  • Jordie Benn (UFA) - See above.
Ideally:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stützle - Strome - C.Brown
Paul - Pinto - Dadonov
Formenton - White - Watson
Kelly

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Zub
Mete - Demers
J.Brown

Murray
Forsberg

*Tierney on the moon.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

If im reading this right he's saying "no big trades until we know we can make the playoffs" which is a good call when we have no idea how we'll measure up against 60% of our division next year let alone the majority of the rest of the league.

Reactions: Emrasie

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just would not want to give up say three good assets to acquire them. We have worked hard to draft/acquire Pinto, Sanderson, Batherson types and that is exactly what the cost will be. I say no thanks and will stick to what I see developing on the ice.

If we bring back a center, we can afford to move a center, same goes at LW. With Brady and Stützle, we can afford to move a pretty attractive piece in Formenton. With Norris, and White, we can afford to move Pinto provided a center comes back.

We also have good depth on LD, I think Brannstrom could be available for the right player with the way Mete has played and Sanderson on the way.

So, to me, our package for young superstar type player in the vein of Tkachuk or Eichel would be along the lines of our 1st (10th OA?), Brannstrom, and one of Formenton or Pinto

Tkachuk-Eichel-Batherson
Stützle-Norris-C.Brown
Paul-White-Dadonov
Formenton-Tierney/Kelly-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Mete-Zub
Sanderson(eventually)-JBD

or

B.Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Pinto-M.Tkachuk
Dadonov-White-C.Brown
Paul-Tierney/Kelly-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Mete-Zub
Sanderson(eventually)-JBD

Reactions: CuomosMoustache

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I’d worry that Brady would defer to him which could ruin the great chemistry we seem to have.

I'd worry about this especially given the fact that Brady has much better character and heart than Matthew.

In one of the last games we played the Flames Matthew was giving weaselly little shots to Erik Brannstrom while Brady was going out of his way to go head to head straight up with Milan Lucic. Said it all.

Matthew is a skilled rat type player. Brady is a power player with guts. That leads teammates. Being a dirty player doesn't. I don't want Matthew on this team.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I like Matthew but that would mean we have likely three wingers making 25 million if not more (Stu, Brady, Matthew) and I’m not sure that’s a recipe for success.

With Dorion saying Stu is a winger, we still need a true 1C. We should just save the assets until we can find one, whether that’s this year or in the future.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1. Looking at next season's cap (assuming Mete only get s1M or so and Logan Brown makes the top-13) we're at 54.8M with only Batherson and Tklachuk left to sign. That will bring us to 12F, 7D, and 2G. We'll need one more forward. If it's Greig, that's 55.5M. A vet will probably cost take us to 56M. Tkachuk on a long-term deal will be 7-8M, and Batherson on a long-term deal will be about 5-5.5MM. Short term deals will be around 5-6M and 3-4M respectively.

2. Lowest cap hit for next season assuming everyone is re-signed is about 64M (55.5 + 8) or the highest 69.5M (56+13.5) assuming no trades.

3. Generally, over the past 2-3 seasons we've hovered around 70-72M in cap hit and 60-62M in actual salaries (minus escrow). LTIR has made that a little hard to judge in past seasons. With the assumptions above, we'll be at 53.3M in salaries without Batherson and Tkachuk. Assuming minimal front loading, we'll likely be in the same range as previous seasons, around 60-64M. depending on length of term and structure.

4. About the only thing that will significantly alter our cap/salary situation is if Murray gets picked in expansion. If Tierney gets picked, we'll likely replace him with an equally expensive Center in Free Agency due to the level of experience at center.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
The Sens next move at forward will pretty much lock in their strategy to try to win a Cup in the next 5 years, because it will take them to where there is minimal dollars available to add much once everybody moves to higher salaries in their next deals, and the only wat to change paths would require some significant moves.

If you went for Matthew Tkachuk, it means hoping for a St. Louis type line up can get it done, with balance, good defense, and limited elite scoring forwards. Note that he has only scored 5 points in 15 career playoff games, so no history of raising his game. Vegas is sort of built this way, and it can take you far, but is an unproven path to glory.

Every other winner in the last 10 years has had at least 2 elite scorers, if you go through the lineups of Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh and LA. Assuming we agree with this model, we likely have Stutzle and need another. That is the key move to come.

Good news is our lines 2-4 forwards are shaping up to be significantly above average. The defense with a top 4 of Chabot, Sanderson, Zub and an add that is great defensively, strong around the net and can contribute some offence, will also likely be above average. We can't draft a soft offensive guy if this is going to work though, as there will not be enough grit in the top 4.

Pierre has the whole future in his hands in these next few moves. We should be 'in the ballpark' even if he botches them, but a strong opportunity will require 2 clear wins in these adds. And probably moving Zaitsev and White painlessly to get some better value for the money.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dorion said if the team goes to UFA, they will go big game hunting. Hoping for Krejci badly. Lando? Tatar?(i see him as Clarke MacArthur type).

Won't be hamilton cause he said we good on right side.

God I hope not. It makes no sense. Dorion you better not.

Giroux for the right price makes absolutely perfect sense. The exact type of vet you want on this team. He leads by heart and soul example, he's still very skilled, he'll keep the young guys in check, great faceoff guy, all-around player, plays like Stutzle etc.

By right price I legit mean our own 2nd, maybe another conditional if he re-signs and like Jarventie/Crookshank/Thomson

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Very unlikely they don't resign him seeing as Barrie is leaving but Adam Larsson would be very enticing.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
10th OVR should be on the table right now, as long as it's for a young enough player that can help the team now and in the future (Reinhart, Tkachuk, etc..)

I think a deal around White (cap dump) + 10th OVR + a secondary prospect or two for Reinhart could be a good one for both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad