Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Nevertheless, I've become convinced they'll ship him out west to the Kings. Even if the Rangers offered a slightly better deal, why the hell would Buffalo want to face him multiple times a year and in the playoffs? Just doesn't make much sense for them.

Depends what they want in the trade, imo.

If they decide to blow it up and start from scratch (which won't be popular but, if we're honest, is probably what they should do) then they'll probably deal him to whichever team offers the best package.

If they're looking for NHL ready talent so they can turn it around quickly and hopefully be competitive next season (which, if we're honest, is probably what they will do) then absolutely they'll try to send him out West.

Ursamajor25

Aug 1, 2020
I know Ottawa isn’t going to land Eichel, however i’d be willing to move quite a lot for him, Norris, Brannstrom(Sanderson if need be), White, 2021 1st conditional 2022 first (If Ottawa makes the playoffs)

You can call “locker room cancer” ALL YOU WANT.

So was Ryan O’Reilly, until he wasn’t.
Taylor Hall was washed, until he wasn’t.

There is something seriously wrong with the Sabres organization as a whole, and Eichel isn’t it. This started when the Pegula’s bought the team.

Is there a little risk? yea.

But Eichel is a BONIFIED 1st line centre who would be the best forward traded since Joe Thornton.

I get your point but Taylor Hall is not a great example. Guy is nowhere near Ryan O Reilly in terms of redemption stories as of yet.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I wonder how Matthew Tkachuk's contract might impact his trade value. He has one season remaining on his current contract with a $7M cap hit and an actual salary of $9M. If I understand the CBA correctly then the qualifying offer to maintain his RFA rights is 100% of his base salary. Therefore $9M would have to be the offer just to maintain his rights.

The alternative to the qualifying offer is that a team can elect to go to arbitration. The arbitrator is required to offer a reward no lower than 85% of the previous salary which in this case would be $7.65M. It is also important to note that he will have played 7 seasons in the NHL after the next two seasons are completed so even if a team decides to go the arbitration route he would become a UFA after that season ended.

Therefore both the Flames and any team that might consider trading for him would have to consider whether they think he is a $9M player and whether they are willing to offer him that compensation over a longer term. Teams that don't think he would be willing to commit to them over the long term would be hesitant about trading for him. The Flames might also be concerned that if he isn't willing to commit long term to them then they are at risk of losing his rights after the next two seasons are completed.

I think this puts Ottawa in a unique position. They might be able to leverage this situation to pay a lower cost than would normally be the case for a player of Matthew Tkachuk's quality. They might also feel that it will be easier to convince Brady to sign a longer term deal and that maybe both Brady and Matthew will take a bit of a discount in order to play on the same team together over a longer period of time. I am speculating here but I wouldn't be surprised if Keith Tkachuk and the rest of their family push them to take more reasonable deals if a situation came along where they could play together and were with an organization that treats them really well.

Matthew Tkachuk does fit the team identity and he is good friends with a lot of the young core so he would fit in well. It is also a bit of a legacy move for someone like Dorion to be able to claim that he got both the Tkachuk brothers on the same team.

I don't know what will happen with this situation but it is one worth paying attention to and hopefully the information I provided here offers some insights that are worth contemplating about.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I wonder how Matthew Tkachuk's contract might impact his trade value. He has one season remaining on his current contract with a $7M cap hit and an actual salary of $9M. If I understand the CBA correctly then the qualifying offer to maintain his RFA rights is 100% of his base salary. Therefore $9M would have to be the offer just to maintain his rights.

The alternative to the qualifying offer is that a team can elect to go to arbitration. The arbitrator is required to offer a reward no lower than 85% of the previous salary which in this case would be $7.65M. It is also important to note that he will have played 7 seasons in the NHL after the next two seasons are completed so even if a team decides to go the arbitration route he would become a UFA after that season ended.

Therefore both the Flames and any team that might consider trading for him would have to consider whether they think he is a $9M player and whether they are willing to offer him that compensation over a longer term. Teams that don't think he would be willing to commit to them over the long term would be hesitant about trading for him. The Flames might also be concerned that if he isn't willing to commit long term to them then they are at risk of losing his rights after the next two seasons are completed.

I think this puts Ottawa in a unique position. They might be able to leverage this situation to pay a lower cost than would normally be the case for a player of Matthew Tkachuk's quality. They might also feel that it will be easier to convince Brady to sign a longer term deal and that maybe both Brady and Matthew will take a bit of a discount in order to play on the same team together over a longer period of time. I am speculating here but I wouldn't be surprised if Keith Tkachuk and the rest of their family push them to take more reasonable deals if a situation came along where they could play together and were with an organization that treats them really well.

Matthew Tkachuk does fit the team identity and he is good friends with a lot of the young core so he would fit in well. It is also a bit of a legacy move for someone like Dorion to be able to claim that he got both the Tkachuk brothers on the same team.

I don't know what will happen with this situation but it is one worth paying attention to and hopefully the information I provided here offers some insights that are worth contemplating about.

This is basically my dream lol. Generally I am skeptical of trading for super stars, but I think Matthew is one of the few guys that could be an exception. Also, I think that at this point of the rebuild, and due to this year's quality of draft/scouting, this could be the time to try and buy a guy to fill in a hole on the roster (top 6 RW).

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

So ya, a QO must be 9M.

Maybe I'm off base but I'm thinking that the QO is a one year thing and that a long term deal doesn't need to consider that value. For example could sign him long term at 7AaV

I'm not sure I'd like Matthew here. I don't think it creates a good dynamic for Brady. I think Brady is going to be the best Tkachuk he can be. I think Matthew is a guy that will get emboldened by having Brady around to fight his battles and i do not think we get the best Brady in that scenario

I remember going back a decade to the goon days in Boston and a reporter of some type suggesting to Lucic that Marchand will eventually have to fight his own battles. Lucic's reply "not while I'm here he won't"

I think there's a risk that Brady will have that mindset and it will diminish his game. For that reason I'd leave Matthew be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd love to add Matt Tkachuk, but we already have Brady and Stützle on LW.

Would certainly have the potential of being a great move, but I doubt he comes cheap and he's a big personality which can sometimes throw off a room even if they aren't considered as bad in the room in the typical sense.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So ya, a QO must be 9M.

Maybe I'm off base but I'm thinking that the QO is a one year thing and that a long term deal doesn't need to consider that value. For example could sign him long term at 7AaV

I'm not sure I'd like Matthew here. I don't think it creates a good dynamic for Brady. I think Brady is going to be the best Tkachuk he can be. I think Matthew is a guy that will get emboldened by having Brady around to fight his battles and i do not think we get the best Brady in that scenario

I remember going back a decade to the goon days in Boston and a reporter of some type suggesting to Lucic that Marchand will eventually have to fight his own battles. Lucic's reply "not while I'm here he won't"

I think there's a risk that Brady will have that mindset and it will diminish his game. For that reason I'd leave Matthew be.
Yeah I guess a decision like this should be carefully considered and a thorough calculation of the downsides should be evaluated. At this point I think the opposite would most likely be the case. I see the acquisition of Matthew Tkachuk as reinforcing the "band of brothers" team mentality and identity. From all accounts that I have seen Matthew is fairly close with the core and I think he would recognize the importance of playing hard for the team and not for his own selfish reasons. I see a scenario where we get the most mature version of Matthew Tkachuk and that it actually brings the best out of Brady. I see Brady becoming captain and him taking a lot of pride in the fact that he gets to go to war with his brother game in and game out. I believe that Keith Tkachuk would be on Matthew's case to not screw things up and in particular to not be selfish and screw things up for Brady and I think that would lead to Matthew maturing,

Overall I think the family dynamic they have plays a big role in mitigating the concerns you have. I don't think it is the case in every family but in watching lots of interviews with the Tkachuk family I think things are different and I think it would mean a great deal for both Brady and Matthew to play with each other and that it would bring the best out of both of them. An added factor is that Matthew has experienced that kind of broken locker room in Calgary where he doesn't fully fit in. I think that is difficult for him and negatively impacts his play. In his interviews he speaks very highly about the situation Brady is in and the way the team rallies behind him, there is almost a reverence for it. I think given the chance to play in such an environment I think Matthew would have a level of gratitude and appreciation that would make him cautious about jeopardizing it.

Reactions: Yak

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Goalies are going to become like Running back in the NFL. Don’t invest in them after age 27. Lehner, Murray don’t give you any value when guys like Mike Smith and Fil Gustafson are being as good as the high priced goalies. Allen over Price, Binnington won a Cup on entry level. Murray did. So many goalies win when they are out of their thick contract years.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Would certainly have the potential of being a great move, but I doubt he comes cheap and he's a big personality which can sometimes throw off a room even if they aren't considered as bad in the room in the typical sense.
I am pretty sure Matthew is capable of playing RW and is actually playing that at the moment. As long as he can do that then it does offer some interesting options for line combinations. The cost would still need to be considered and how he would mesh with the room but his ability to play either wing could offer some nice flexibility.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I’ve debated a Batherson for Matthew type deal. Batherson is a young power forward with years of control who will prob make $3.5+ ... Batherson could easily outscore Matthew next year on the sagging flames.

People would scream that it’s not enough but with the payout and pending UFA status coming for MT Batherson is probably the more valuable asset

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Agreed.

And to add, the rivalry between the brothers on different teams works quite well. We really don't need to tinker with that.

It's going to be a long, long time before the NHL has another Sedins situation...and that is really the ONLY time a team should bend over backwards to keep a pair of brothers together.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am pretty sure Matthew is capable of playing RW and is actually playing that at the moment. As long as he can do that then it does offer some interesting options for line combinations. The cost would still need to be considered and how he would mesh with the room but his ability to play either wing could offer some nice flexibility.

Yeah, we could play him, or someone else on the right side, but would they be as effective? Matt is having his least effective season from a production perspective, or close to it.

If we go that route, I will admittedly be pretty excited about the possibilities, but I do think it will take a lot to land him and am a little apprehensive about giving up what it will take.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I’m sure they are best buds but it’s not entirely clear to me that having them both on the same team would be great for either of them.
Anyone here know a lot of older brothers who are super competitive elite athletes happy to take a back seat to their younger brother?

If their relationship is exactly the same regardless then it doesn’t matter but family is family and even best brother friends have different issues than best buddy teammates.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Nah
Eichel is gonna be in the same tier as Barkov drai and matthews if he leaves Buffalo

his speed at that size and skill level is insane
Lol. You left out compete and chemistry. All those Sabres players having Eichel’s back is telling.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Buffalo finished last in multiple seasons before Eichel arrived.
He is NOT the problem.
They began a rebuild in 2013/14 and actively tanked to get McDavid. Eichel has not done anything to help the team.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have no interest in Matthew Tkachuk at this point. I think it would stunt the growth of Brady and by extension the rest of the team. I could see them playing together in 3 or 4 years once Brady is fully established and has had 3 or 4 years as Captain.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I have no interest in Matthew Tkachuk at this point. I think it would stunt the growth of Brady and by extension the rest of the team. I could see them playing together in 3 or 4 years once Brady is fully established and has had 3 or 4 years as Captain.

When Mathew signs a team friendly UFA deal to win a cup with the dynasty/three time cup champion senators.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A wealthy affluent family who hasn’t ever needed anything (financially) in life. A team friendly extension and the chance to play together and compete for a cup is probably worth more than grinding out max $$$ on their own.

Mom could cheer for one team :). They have an incredible opportunity to write a unique story.

Matthew to Ottawa for White/Dadonov, Abramov, 2021 first, 2022 2ND and Lassi Thomson/JBD/Mete/Greig and Matthew signs a 3 year extension.

Brady Norris Matthew
Stutzle Brown Batherson
Form Pinto Brown

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Wouldn't it make more sense for us to wait for Matthew to not be qualified if we think the 9million will be too rich for Calgary or any other team including us?

Then we sign him as a UFA and keep all our assets.

Reactions: Yak

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wouldn't it make more sense for us to wait for Matthew to not be qualified if we think the 9million will be too rich for Calgary or any other team including us?

Then we sign him as a UFA and keep all our assets.

It softens the trade market for him. If Calgary wants to start a tear down they can start a year earlier.

Feels like a Zibby like situation - I can’t see CAL ownership wanting to pay more for what they are getting from Matthew.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My favourite possible fantasy winger acquisition has to be Filip Forsberg. His style of play and somewhat injury prone history scare me a bit, but my God can you think of a better RW on this team than him? Especially on the PP?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
My favourite possible fantasy winger acquisition has to be Filip Forsberg. His style of play and somewhat injury prone history scare me a bit, but my God can you think of a better RW on this team than him? Especially on the PP?

I thought he mostly played LW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad