Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Giroux’s salary next year drops down to $5M, so that’s enticing for Ottawa.

With that said, Giroux is an Alfredsson like figure there. It’d have to be a mutual decision to part ways, and I can’t see it happening.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Giroux’s salary next year drops down to $5M, so that’s enticing for Ottawa.

With that said, Giroux is an Alfredsson like figure there. It’d have to be a mutual decision to part ways, and I can’t see it happening.
Giroux lives 5 mins away from the CTC in the off season. His wife is from here and family from the Ottawa area. Plus we can give him a tab bit more and he instantly becomes our #1C.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Honestly guys, I think there is a legitimate threat Dorion goes after RNH/Krecji/Danault, especially if Seattle takes Tierney in expansion:

1. Ottawa is pretty "set" in a lot of positions. He specifically mentioned RHD being set. I don't see how he goes "big game hunting" in goalies after signing Murray last offseason. LHD has Sanderson, Chabot, and Brannstrom long-term, (and is looking to sign a 22 year old Mete) so I don't see why he'd clog that up with a "big game" Free Agent.

2. Our wings are also pretty clogged up. He specifically mentioned Stutzle as a winger. That leaves Tkachuk, Stutzle, Brown, Dadonov, and Batherson as top-6 scoring wingers, plus White plays wing as well. I don't see him adding another winger unless we lose Paul. In such a case I can see him adding a replacement, but not a "big game" free agent.

3. We do have a bit of a hole at center. Especially if we assume Tierney gets lost to expansion. If he leaves we'll only have White and Norris as our only experienced centers and Brown and Pinto rounding out our roster. One of Parker Kelly and Matt Peca would be our 13th forward and our only depth. Dorion will NOT, start the Season with Brown AND Pinto on the roster without someone experienced as backup. If Tierney is gone, we're getting someone experienced. End of Story.

4. We have a shit ton of salary and cap room if we lose Tierney. As I mentioned previously, we're in a really good spot cap-wise and salary-wise, even with a limited budget. If we can get Tkachuk around 7M, Mete for 1M, and Batherson around 4-5M we'll be at around 63.5-65M in cap with 13F, 7D, and 2G. RNH for instance, isn't looking for big money apparently, just term. If we offered, say, 6X6 (cap environment is constrained due to covid), we still might be under 70M in cap hit. A 6M in salary for a guy like RNH is only 1.8M more than Tierney was going to get. Danault also wants as much money as possible but not many teams are going to offer him anything unreasonable. The only other possible "big game" in Free Agency is possibly Krejci. The one advantage is that Krejci is 35 and wouldn't "block" our roster if he signed for 1-2 years, which might be what Dorion is looking for if we lose Tierney.

My one big fear is that he trades for a short term fix and gives up real assets for a guy like Giroux.

Reactions: NB613

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
How do you even sort out a trade for a guy like Giroux who will be a 34 y.o. pending UFA at the end of next season? That's a really tough one to measure value for many reasons. How many more productive years does a guy at that age have in the league? Is he the right age range to hitch your 3-5 year competitive window to (assuming we're on the verge of entering that window)? What do you offer in return to the Flyers? What's realistic to expect from him production-wise?

Honestly, I have no idea if I'm for or against it.

Reactions: DrEasy

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think Giroux is a good short term fit, but am worried about how much he would cost. Ideally I think he would be here two years and probably go from number 1 centre in year one to number 2 or 2b in year 3.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
What do you guys think of the Nolan Patrick thing? Do you think he is a good person for a "change of scenery" trade for Brown? He's probably got a bit more value, but not a ton. He does have quite a bit more NHL experience.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
As they should, 10th ++ should be in play for a young top 6 player.

Unfortunately, I think what he means by this is a combination of small pieces for an average vet that will be viewed in house as a game changer
It’s way too soon to make a big move.

Reactions: NB613

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Need a report as to the divisions for next season. If it's the Canadian division we could be more aggressive to make a playoff run. If it's the regular divisions then we are at least another season away imo

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Is there pretty much consensus on our expansion plans at this point?

Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Colin White
Connor Brown
Evgenii Dadonov
Nick Paul
Logan Brown/Tierney

Chabot
Zub
Zaitsev

Gustavsson

Exposed: Logan Brown/Tierney, Watson, Mete, Murray, Daccord, Forsbeg

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Yup protecting Mete and 100% exposing Teirney

Maybe Dadonov too but would be a little surprised

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Zub is exempt. Probably protect Mete
Good to know, I guess that means Mete is protected

Assuming we protect L. Brown because he has more organizational value than Tierney, who is only signed for one more season at a fairly high salary/cap hit, that doesn't leave a lot of Seattle.

I think they'll take Watson or maybe Daccord if they are willing to protect him from Waivers.

If I was Seattle, I'm not sure Tierney/Murray is all that appealing.

Oct 10, 2010
I’d expose White I think keep Tierney and Brown as last two forwards.save the longer term money on someone who isn’t consistent.

Brady
Drake
Paul
Dadonov
Brown
Tierney
Logan Brown

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I just finished the Doron interview.

He wasn't actually specific about high quality players being Free Agents, he was actually more general about "players we acquire" and "additions". In context, he was also refencing trades as well.

I do think that means he will also be possibly targeting higher end guys on the trade block as well, not just FAs.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I am not convinced of the argument some have on here that acquiring Matthew Tkachuk would somehow jeopardize the locker room chemistry. What undermines the argument is that those that are opposed to acquiring Matthew Tkachuk because of such a risk are openly advocating trading for premier players like Eichel. Many star players have big personalities and sometimes big egos, some of them need to be "the guy" and are not willing to follow another leader. It is a pretty clear contradiction to be concerned in one case but to not have even the slightest concern in another.

Sure some brothers may not be able to play with each other on the same team and it could create the possibility for a sibling rivalry, but that is highly contingent on the level of maturity of the players and the kind of relationship they have with each other. Some people actually like their siblings and would ecstatic at the opportunity to play on the same team as each other. Certainly it should be evaluated when considering acquiring someone like Matthew Tkachuk but I don't think it makes much sense to assume that because they are brothers that they can't thrive on the same team together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad