Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If Sanderson is going to be our match-up guy Brannstrom shouldn't be playing with him

If we aren't using Sanderson to play against Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, etc., they would be a fine pairing, but I don't see us not using Sanderson against the other teams top players.

I don't see Brannstrom as being bad defensively so I would be interested in seeing him with Sanderson (if both become what they project to be) on a matchup pairing against top players.

I remember the lead up to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final when all the pundits had the very physical Konstantinov being the matchup for the Wings against the Legion of Doom. Once the game started Bowman had Murphy and Lidstrom matched up with them and they just retrieved and moved the puck out too quickly for the Legion of Doom. Lindros and company never really got going.

I think Sanderson has the mobility to matchup with top forwards and Brannstrom can move the puck up ice quickly. To me it looks good on paper that they could be a great two-way pairing that makes the other team's top line play in their own end.

At least I hope so.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It is a good question about where he fits.. He won't be the only one we are asking that about in the next couple of years.

Definitely, at the same time I don't see who fits on that 2nd pair on the right side if it's not Brannstrom.

Thomson doesn't look like he'll be a top 4 guy if he even becomes a NHLer.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't see Brannstrom as being bad defensively so I would be interested in seeing him with Sanderson (if both become what they project to be) on a matchup pairing against top players.

I remember the lead up to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final when all the pundits had the very physical Konstantinov being the matchup for the Wings against the Legion of Doom. Once the game started Bowman had Murphy and Lidstrom matched up with them and they just retrieved and moved the puck out too quickly for the Legion of Doom. Lindros and company never really got going.

I think Sanderson has the mobility to matchup with top forwards and Brannstrom can move the puck up ice quickly. To me it looks good on paper that they could be a great two-way pairing that makes the other team's top line play in their own end.

At least I hope so.

This is what I se. Both guys move the puck well and Sanderson is big enough to handle the front of the net

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

At least I hope so.

I agree with that. I actually think Brannstrom will be more known for his overall/defensive game than the points he puts on board. He will produce but that'll depend on the PP time he gets and the QoT he plays with. He is quick, he is smart with good vision so that should result in quick good decisions, aka good transition D-man, puck mover

You also don't need all your D-men to score 50+ pts. First, they'd become way too expensive

Personally I really like this quintet like this :

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Wolanin

Thomson, Kleven, Guenette, Josh Brown, Zub, Jaros, Lajoie will/should battle it out to fill the rest

I like the way dorion spoke about josh brown. Saying he hasn’t even hit 100 games. Has more to offer. Better than using cliche buzzwords. Sounds like they’ve done some serious homework.

Well, I said several times that he only has 93 NHL games, maybe I should be a NHL GM! Seriously, Brown has had a long road to the NHL, he's not one of those guys who peaked at a young age. He spent his first pro season in the ECHL (and was already 21) and then 2 full years in the AHL. He may very well be still in progression (sort of like DeMelo) and could actually benefit from a good opportunity which is what he might get in Ottawa as the RD competition is Gudbrandson (expiring contract), Zaitsev, Zub (KHL veteran but no NHL Game) and Jaros (doesn't seem like he was one of DJ's favorites)

Reactions: NB613

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
What about trading Brannstrom to Vancouver for Vasili Podkolzin?

Sens get Podkolzin- a rugged RW who plays the game "the right way" who fits the the team identity.
Ottawa also trade Brannstrom because the next years draft is top heavy with D man..

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What about trading Brannstrom to Vancouver for Vasili Podkolzin?

Sens get Podkolzin- a rugged RW who plays the game "the right way" who fits the the team identity.
Ottawa also trade Brannstrom because the next years draft is top heavy with D man..

Where does Podkolz slot in? You have Dadonov, C.Brown, Batherson and Watson on RW. I'm a fan of his game but I feel like it would be a slap to Batherson to acquire someone like him.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
In this scenario Podkolzin would not play for the Sens this upcoming season... This gives a Season to find out what you have with Batherson..... I would likely trade one of Dadonov or Brown in two years time to make room for the younger Podkolzin..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is going to be a lot of competition on the right side on defence once they move out Gudbranson & J. Brown. Here are a list of right shot defencemen who will be fighting it out for a future RD job in Ottawa.

JBD, Thomson, Brannstrom (left shot), Zub, Guennette & Jaros could all be in the mix. not including if they draft one in 2021 0r 22. The two dark horses that we don't know much about playing NA pro hockey are Zub & Guennette who is having a very good start to his junior season. IMO JBD will get a spot on a future team & maybe one of those other 5 guys could get another spot. If the Sens draft Roman Schmidt in next yr's draft I expect he will win a future spot at RD. Still think they should go after Evan Bouchard RD with all the extra assets they have to play next to Sanderson on the 2nd pairing.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is going to be a lot of competition on the right side on defence once they move out Gudbranson & J. Brown. Here are a list of right shot defencemen who will be fighting it out for a future RD job in Ottawa.

JBD, Thomson, Brannstrom (left shot), Zub, Guennette & Jaros could all be in the mix. not including if they draft one in 2021 0r 22. The two dark horses that we don't know much about playing NA pro hockey are Zub & Guennette who is having a very good start to his junior season. IMO JBD will get a spot on a future team & maybe one of those other 5 guys could get another spot. If the Sens draft Roman Schmidt in next yr's draft I expect he will win a future spot at RD. Still think they should go after Evan Bouchard RD with all the extra assets they have to play next to Sanderson on the 2nd pairing.
I think Brown is in the mix going forward. Solid 3rd pairing D who PKs.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
There are still some scrappy forwards left on the free agent market. I could see the Sens adding some on 2 way contracts or PTO's.

I doubt they sign anymore one way contracts but if they do Corey Perry and Matt Martin seem like they would fit the identity.

In terms of 2 way contracts these forwards some potential options are:
Jordan Nolan, Brendan Gaunce, Remi Elie, Brett Ritchie, Riley Sheahan, Frederik Gauthier

Some AHL fighters that could get a PTO for training camp:
Darren Archibald, David Broll, Jamie Devane, Jacob Doty, Bobby Farnham, Luke Gazdic

Other players that could get a PTO:
Devante Smith-Pelly, Kerby Rychel, Michael Latta

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we should try and trade one of our of forwards for right shot D-man Conor Timmins from the AVS.
I'm interested to see what they have in Zub, he's becoming an interesting player to watch.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This guy doesn't seem particularly credible but some of the things he says do seem to be plausible.

The idea of signing Corey Perry on an inexpensive deal and trading for Ryan Getzlaf actually seems like it could happen. Both players play the style of hockey that the Sens are going for and both are very accomplished players that would make great mentors. A big factor that could influence this is that Bryan Murray drafted both players. Murray was like a 2nd father to Dorion and he has a lot of reverence for him. I could see Dorion bringing in both partly as a way to pay tribute to Murray. It is also an indication that Dorion is becoming more like Murray and for a GM to become more like their idol is a meaningful thing.

Depending on the cost and which players we give up these could be good moves. Maybe a Tierney for Getzlaf kind of deal could be worked out. But adding Perry and Getzlaf could actually go a long way in trying to go on a deep playoff run.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Always be skeptical about these random twitter sources but all that seems like realistic.

Have no doubt that we'll be all over Cirelli if he becomes available. Brown++ for him seems almost too likely.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Certainly you take it with a small mound of salt, but imagine a Center like Stutzle, Brown or Norris having a shot to break in with Tkachuk and Laine on his wings. Damn. That takes a lot of pressure off.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Always be skeptical about these random twitter sources but all that seems like realistic.

Have no doubt that we'll be all over Cirelli if he becomes available. Brown++ for him seems almost too likely.
Cirelli helps short term but I don’t think he’s a top 2 centre on a Cup contender unless he’s filling in.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This guy doesn't seem particularly credible but some of the things he says do seem to be plausible.

The idea of signing Corey Perry on an inexpensive deal and trading for Ryan Getzlaf actually seems like it could happen. Both players play the style of hockey that the Sens are going for and both are very accomplished players that would make great mentors. A big factor that could influence this is that Bryan Murray drafted both players. Murray was like a 2nd father to Dorion and he has a lot of reverence for him. I could see Dorion bringing in both partly as a way to pay tribute to Murray. It is also an indication that Dorion is becoming more like Murray and for a GM to become more like their idol is a meaningful thing.

Depending on the cost and which players we give up these could be good moves. Maybe a Tierney for Getzlaf kind of deal could be worked out. But adding Perry and Getzlaf could actually go a long way in trying to go on a deep playoff run.

Pinto and Thomson for laine I’ll sign off

Reactions: Senscore

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

I'd be willing to trade Getzlaf for Anisimov. Straight up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad