Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
From Friedman

This is a bit confusing.

The guy is playing on a top line of a decent team that played well despite a ton of adversity. He gets exposure, they made the playoffs and he was probably their best forward. Sure you might have more exposure in Canada because it's just the biggest sport in the country but it's not like he doesn't have that right now...

Also interesting that Friedman mentions "not necessarily thr biggest market".

Not trying to create a buzz but here's what I see so far:

- Dorion mentionning that there might be more movement before the season starts. "If there's opportunity to make the team better we'll do it"

- Clearly PLD is looking for a trade

- Dorion weirdly saying "I don't know what you're talking about" when asked about PLD.

- Friedman specifying that it doesn't mean it would be a big market

And then finally the fit is just there... We could use a guy like Dubois. We don't have anyone of that caliber at center right now and doesn't look like anyone is coming up to take that #1C role right now unless Stuetzle makes that jump. Aside from LA and the Rangers we are probably in the best position to pull it off. The Rangers and LA are also set at center right now.. maybe Rangers try to make that move I guess to have a 1-2 of Mika and PLD.

Reactions: TheDebater

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
IMO, Pierre's "I don't know what you're talking about" didn't sound like he was being coy. The question was set up in the usual clumsy, self-effacing way, and there was no other way to answer it, whether he was interested in Dubois or not.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is a bit confusing.

The guy is playing on a top line of a decent team that played well despite a ton of adversity. He gets exposure, they made the playoffs and he was probably their best forward. Sure you might have more exposure in Canada because it's just the biggest sport in the country but it's not like he doesn't have that right now...

Also interesting that Friedman mentions "not necessarily thr biggest market".

Not trying to create a buzz but here's what I see so far:

- Dorion mentionning that there might be more movement before the season starts. "If there's opportunity to make the team better we'll do it"

- Clearly PLD is looking for a trade

- Dorion weirdly saying "I don't know what you're talking about" when asked about PLD.

- Friedman specifying that it doesn't mean it would be a big market

And then finally the fit is just there... We could use a guy like Dubois. We don't have anyone of that caliber at center right now and doesn't look like anyone is coming up to take that #1C role right now unless Stuetzle makes that jump. Aside from LA and the Rangers we are probably in the best position to pull it off. The Rangers and LA are also set at center right now.. maybe Rangers try to make that move I guess to have a 1-2 of Mika and PLD.
I'm assuming it's more saving face for both he and the organisation, rather than saying that he doesn't want to be playing for Torts in his system, like the dozens of guys before him.

I'm just using occum's razor at this point

Reactions: Boud

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
PLD's style of play works better for the Sens than Barzal.

Dont get me wrong, Barzal is great, but its like comparing Stone to Hoffman. Skill wise, not character wise.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Context, though.

If the ask is a couple of our B+ prospects (Brown, Norris, Brannstrom, Pinto, etc) and a pick, then absolutely go for it.

But if it’s a Sanderson + one of those guys + a pick? I’ll pass.

I really do like Dubois as a player (although if the rumours of him wanting a “bigger stage” are true, I question his character), but he’s not a bonafide #1 center yet. I think he can develop into one, but he still has work to do.

I also don’t think he’ll ever be a top 10-12 guy. At his best, I can see him becoming a Couturier type, which obviously is still a great player to have, but he’s not in the conversation with the likes of McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Matthews, Barkov, Pettersson, Tavares, Point, etc.

But these guys aren't "B prospects", they are top prospects. I know it's HF but it's not like Sens players/prospects are popular in general. This is how they got ranked :

HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #70 (closed)

36. Josh Norris
37. Erik Brännström
61. Shane Pinto

Logan Brown not voted in yet but would probably be around ~80-85

There's 31 teams, these guys are the #2 prospects on the median team. They also have constantly be ranked high on various prospects lists.

The only way trading with Columbus would work is that if they decide to go full rebuild (which I doubt they would do right now). We don't need future picks as much, we could afford to make our 1st as the center piece. With drafting Sanderson, we can afford to move Brannstrom. If they trade Dubois, give them back a young center with high potential.

Personally even if they shouldn't be unavailable for a big player, I think Norris, Pinto and Formenton will be very important players for the team success. I would even add a 2nd round pick to not give them up. If they push for one of these guys real hard then you might have to concede to make the deal work but then one of Brannstrom/1st is off the table.

Logan Brown + Erik Brännström + Ottawa's 1st in 2021 + Ottawa's 2nd in 2021 + depht prospect (Jaros/Chlapik)

That's a pretty good package. If another team is ready to pay more than that then let them do it. Erik Karlsson return wasn't even that good at the moment of the trade

Logan Brown (drafted higher, PPG in the AHL) > Josh Norris (before breaking out)
Erik Brannstrom >> Rudolf Balcers (EB has been a NHL top prospect for a while now)
Sens 1st > Sharks 1st
Sens 2nd > Panthers/Sharks 2nd
Jaros >= DeMelo
Nothing << Tierney + a conditional 2nd

Watch Dorion give up Sanderson + Norris + 2nd. That would hurt real bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I wouldn’t worry about Sanderson being traded for PLD. How many times has a top 5 pick been traded in the same year they got drafted (or next year even, I’m curious.) Prob very slim amount

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Watch Dorion give up Sanderson + Norris + 2nd. That would hurt real bad.

I have given Dorion the benefit of the doubt on most of his trades, especially the Karlsson one and luckily it worked out for us/him.

I am never the type to overreact in life general, I like to see how things play out...but I have Norris and Sanderson ranked as our #2 and #3 prospects respectively.

If Dorion trades two of our top 3 prospects for Pierre-Luc freaking Dubois...I will...definitely write an angry post about it.

Reactions: gab6511 and Xspyrit

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I wouldn’t worry about Sanderson being traded for PLD. How many times has a top 5 pick been traded in the same year they got drafted (or next year even, I’m curious.) Prob very slim amount

Would we worry? We would get PLD back....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad