Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure who JIC is but I find that to be speculation. There's really nothing about Tyler Johnson that suggests he'd be a targeted player for us.

A big sports media personality in Quebec, has a lot of connections in hockey. Very close to Yvon Pedneault (see link below) and Mike Bossy (hockey legend, big connections with Islanders obviously)

Yvon Pedneault - Wikipedia

Hasn't always been a big JiC (Jean-Charles Lajoie) fan but he's very credible as a source. He always called the Sens "les ronflants" (boring)... seems weird since the Sens were constantly a top scoring team for years and years.

That being said, Ottawa didn't claim TJ on waivers. They might have only taken him if a player/contract was going the other way (Tierney?)

I’d take Tyler Johnson for 1 year if the deal was structured properly.

To Ottawa - Tyler Johnson + Tampa 3rd
To Tampa - Ottawa 7th
To Seattle - Tampa 1st or 2nd

Seattle agreed to select him in the expansion draft

Ottawa gets a 1 year top 9 centre and no longer has to worry about their protection list for the draft.

Don't think it's doable

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think its a combination of some posters not liking small D, us having a ton of d that aren't particularly physical, and Chabot and Sanderson lukely ahead of him on the left side long term

I still see room for him on the right side but for that to happen the team needs to want to play him on that side...

In terms of dmen we can move and get a decent return for, he seems to be the logical choice, but I'd rather see him get a shot on the right side myself as i think he can be productive there

I think you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole

Throwing Brannstrom's name into trade proposals was quite common before we had Sanderson

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A big sports media personality in Quebec, has a lot of connections in hockey. Very close to Yvon Pedneault (see link below) and Mike Bossy (hockey legend, big connections with Islanders obviously)

Yvon Pedneault - Wikipedia

Hasn't always been a big JiC (Jean-Charles Lajoie) fan but he's very credible as a source. He always called the Sens "les ronflants" (boring)... seems weird since the Sens were constantly a top scoring team for years and years.

That being said, Ottawa didn't claim TJ on waivers. They might have only taken him if a player/contract was going the other way (Tierney?)

Don't think it's doable

I think it would have taken a lot more than a contract going the other way

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You mean... the Sens should have added? Uh, why?

Please rephrase.

No, i mean TB needing to add.

Free at 5 AAV. 31 said no thanks

So how low does the AAV need to get in order to bite on the contract

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole

Throwing Brannstrom's name into trade proposals was quite common before we had Sanderson
Sure, but for a LHD like Segachev. The key bit there was to try and upgrade/diversify by getting someone with size.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He seems like an ideal partner for Sanderson, if one of them can play the right side.

I hesitate to say Brannstrom is “ideal” to play RD with Sanderson at LD; however, it might work out well if Brannstrom finds his offence in the NHL and Sanderson becomes a highly capable two-way (O and D) NHL Defenseman.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hesitate to say Brannstrom is “ideal” to play RD with Sanderson at LD; however, it might work out well if Brannstrom finds his offence in the NHL and Sanderson becomes a highly capable two-way (O and D) NHL Defenseman.
An offensive D man with a shut down D man seems ideal to me. Thats what they project to be, Brannstrom looked alot better on the right side than left in my opinion.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
An offensive D man with a shut down D man seems ideal to me. Thats what they project to be, Brannstrom looked alot better on the right side than left in my opinion.
If Sanderson is going to be our match-up guy Brannstrom shouldn't be playing with him

If we aren't using Sanderson to play against Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, etc., they would be a fine pairing, but I don't see us not using Sanderson against the other teams top players.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure, but for a LHD like Segachev. The key bit there was to try and upgrade/diversify by getting someone with size.
Sergachev among many proposals

But the theme was generally moving Brannstrom

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
If Sanderson is going to be our match-up guy Brannstrom shouldn't be playing with him

If we aren't using Sanderson to play against Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, etc., they would be a fine pairing, but I don't see us not using Sanderson against the other teams top players.

We use Sanderson and Brenard Docker against other team's top lines and then we let Chabot and Brannstrom let loose! That would also have Brannstrom playing the right side, as well!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We use Sanderson and Brenard Docker against other team's top lines and then we let Chabot and Brannstrom let loose! That would also have Brannstrom playing the right side, as well!
Not sure Chabot and Brannstrom would be a good pairing, JBD seems earmarked for Chabot.

Not exactly sure where or how Brannstrm fits outside of the 3rd pairing.

I think 3rd pairing and 2nd PP is likely what he will be getting if he stays here.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not sure Chabot and Brannstrom would be a good pairing, JBD seems earmarked for Chabot.

Not exactly sure where or how Brannstrm fits outside of the 3rd pairing.

I think 3rd pairing and 2nd PP is likely what he will be getting if he stays here.

Since they're trying to force him on the left that seems to be the case but he would be a good partner for Sanderson IMO.

If he's going to play 3rd pairing then trade him asap

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Since they're trying to force him on the left that seems to be the case but he would be a good partner for Sanderson IMO.

It is a good question about where he fits.. He won't be the only one we are asking that about in the next couple of years.

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
After the Michael Haley signing the Sens could still add some identity players for Belleville and invite some identity style players on PTOs for Belleville.

I would like to see them add Jordan Nolan and Brendan Gaunce on 2 way contracts. Remi Elie and Devante Smith-Pelly could also be interesting for 2 way contracts or PTOs. For PTOs Bobby Farnham and David Broll could be entertaining and might be worth AHL contracts.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Will they continue to force him on the left is the question now that we have Sanderson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Will they continue to force him on the left is the question now that we have Sanderson
This is what Dorion said Oct 16th when asked if we were going to pursue Chara:

“I think our left side with Chabot, [Mike] Reilly, [Christian] Wolanin and [Erik] Brannstrom, I think we’re pretty set. I think that ship has sailed.”

He's going to be a healthy scratch for these guys at times throughout the season, with Zaitsev, Gudbranson and Brown speaking for the right side.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is what Dorion said Oct 16th when asked if we were going to pursue Chara:

“I think our left side with Chabot, [Mike] Reilly, [Christian] Wolanin and [Erik] Brannstrom, I think we’re pretty set. I think that ship has sailed.”

He's going to be a healthy scratch for these guys at times throughout the season, with Zaitsev, Gudbranson and Brown speaking for the right side.

Ya I'm familiar with all that. If we've now got Sanderson does having Brannstrom on a 3rd pair make sense? Even less sense when he prefers right?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ya I'm familiar with all that. If we've now got Sanderson does having Brannstrom on a 3rd pair make sense? Even less sense when he prefers right?
We had Sanderson when he made those comments

I don't think it makes sense, but seems to be what they are rolling with.

Not sure Brannstrom is going to be bringing a top 4 skillset/impact without top PP time

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom is safe for at least another yr, I expect he will start the yr in Belleville & be an injury callup & then possibly a regular after a few guys are moved leading up to the deadline. I'm not sure how many yrs Sanderson will stay in school, but he might come out after one yr, if that is the case it will likely be to play in Ottawa rather than Belleville given he has the skating & size already to be an NHL player. I expect that Gudbranson & Reilly could both be moved by the deadline making room for Brannstrom or Zub & maybe Jaros or Lajoie to finish the yr.

Of course, the following yr when Thomson, JBD & potentially Sanderson could be here the competition for a defensive spot will be that much greater given that those guys won't be moved at the deadline, including Wolanin & Zub. I still expect that one if not two, of Brannstrom, Wolanin or Thomson could be moved by this time next yr, I don't see a need for all three. I also don't like small soft players on the third D pairing, that's traditionally where defensive defenceman play, the shutdown guys & PK defencemen, guys who can clear the front of the net & play a much tougher game. Ottawa needs at least a couple of big tough D on their blueline.

IMO Ottawa needs another defenceman like Sanderson to play on that 2nd RD pairing with size, mobility & can add some offence & they could already have one in Zub. We'll see how good he is this season & whether he is a longer term solution or not. On the 3rd pair right side I really hope they are able to draft a defenceman like Roman Schmidt who is an excellent skater & player. This is how I see the future defence playing out & the only real question for me is how Zub turns out, hopefully, he turns into Gonchar.

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Schmidt

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Detroit used Rafalski as a matchup D man its been done, if Brannstrom is a quick defender that is hard on pucks I could see his pair play against the other teams best players.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like the way dorion spoke about josh brown. Saying he hasn’t even hit 100 games. Has more to offer. Better than using cliche buzzwords. Sounds like they’ve done some serious homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad