Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I would fanboy so hard if we brought Lehner back. But this team rather than helping him through his issues decided to trade him to Buffalo, dont think either side will let it happen.

Reactions: NB613 and Ed Wood

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would fanboy so hard if we brought Lehner back. But this team rather than helping him through his issues decided to trade him to Buffalo, dont think either side will let it happen.
Not sure hissues were known/understood when we traded him though.

Moreover, he might not have been ready to recieve help had it been offered.

I do agree though that the ship has likely sailed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sergachev is something that I would see happening the sens have the right assets and he fits in to what they are trying to do.

A deal around Brannstrom a prospect and one or two of the 2nds could get a deal done for Sergachev.

Maybe Brannstrom, Balcers/Abramov and two 2nds but not 33 overall?

Agree with everything else you said in the post but I find that a bit heavy... Brannstrom is a very good prospect in the hockey world. Balcers is also a very good piece still very cheap. Two 2nd round picks in this draft on top of these 2 seem high. I'd be close to do it though as we have so many assets and we need to do quantity for quality type trades... 1 less 2nd round pick and I'd do it so I could offer Winnipeg Tierney and the 3 other 2nd round picks (including 33rd OA) for Ehlers (not sure they'd do exactly that but just to speak). We have other picks and prospects available too, maybe a young goalie on top of it?

2021-22 :

Ehlers-Byfield-Batherson
Tkachuk-Brown-Norris
Formenton-Pinto-Duclair
Paul-White-Brown
Hawryluk/Abramov/Davidsson/Gruden

Chabot-Drysdale
Sergachev-Thomson
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Zub/Reilly/Jaros

Hogberg/Daccord/Gustavsson

It's good to dream!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agree with everything else you said in the post but I find that a bit heavy... Brannstrom is a very good prospect in the hockey world. Balcers is also a very good piece still very cheap. Two 2nd round picks in this draft on top of these 2 seem high. I'd be close to do it though as we have so many assets and we need to do quantity for quality type trades... 1 less 2nd round pick and I'd do it so I could offer Winnipeg Tierney and the 3 other 2nd round picks (including 33rd OA) for Ehlers (not sure they'd do exactly that but just to speak). We have other picks and prospects available too, maybe a young goalie on top of it?

2021-22 :

Ehlers-Byfield-Batherson
Tkachuk-Brown-Norris
Formenton-Pinto-Duclair
Paul-White-Brown
Hawryluk/Abramov/Davidsson/Gruden

Chabot-Drysdale
Sergachev-Thomson
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Zub/Reilly/Jaros

Hogberg/Daccord/Gustavsson

It's good to dream!

Sure yeah it might be overpayment, but to get a sure thing top d man at 22 you gotta pay. I dont see where Balcers fits into this team in the long run so its not a big loss in my estimation.

Personally id much rather pursue moving the 3rd first into the top 10/11/12 than pursuing Ehlers. Not a fan of his game, very perimiter player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don’t think Brannstrom has the value he did when we traded for him, I’d like to replace him in the pool for sure. He’ll never get #1 PP minutes here. If we could add a guy like Sergachev it would be a coup, he’s only a year older than Brannstrom, and much better. Especially if it’s only with the addition of a couple 2nds and a tertiary prospect like Balcers.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
There would be no reason to trade a first and brannstrom for Serg. It would be one or the other in the package. Brannstrom is underrated, he just had a solid AHL year with injuries involved.

Reactions: NB613 and Smeddy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sure yeah it might be overpayment, but to get a sure thing top d man at 22 you gotta pay. I dont see where Balcers fits into this team in the long run so its not a big loss in my estimation.

Personally id much rather pursue moving the 3rd first into the top 10/11/12 than pursuing Ehlers. Not a fan of his game, very perimiter player.

Yeah we can "afford" to move Balcers (or any of the 2nd round pick) who will probably end up caught in a numbers game. If they determine that Sergachev is a major piece that could help bring the team into contender status, then do it. Would Tampa say no to Brannstrom + Balcers + 2nd? That is the question.It can't be that far to what they could get at the very least.

Understand about Ehlers, really doesn't play like Tkachuk, which is probably due to a lack of strenght but the prospect of an Ehlers-Byfield-Batherson is a very skilled line. But open to see other options.

StutZle galchenyuk raymond will be a dope line trust me.

Galchenyuk still has no idea how to play without the puck though. Can't see him being a Sens target.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don’t think Brannstrom has the value he did when we traded for him, I’d like to replace him in the pool for sure. He’ll never get #1 PP minutes here. If we could add a guy like Sergachev it would be a coup, he’s only a year older than Brannstrom, and much better. Especially if it’s only with the addition of a couple 2nds and a tertiary prospect like Balcers.

I think his value as a prospect/young NHLer is lower, but his value as a hockey asset is higher. This is because we're closing to the expansion draft, and lots of teams are in a really bad spot with the salary cap.

Players like Norris and Brannstrom would have a lot of value if we choose to trade them, because they are presumably NHL ready, will barely take up any cap for the next two seasons, and teams do not have to waste a protection spot on them.

Reactions: Xspyrit

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
There would be no reason to trade a first and brannstrom for Serg. It would be one or the other in the package. Brannstrom is underrated, he just had a solid AHL year with injuries involved.

Sergachev is not much older in terms of hockey development years, and he is already a #3 defender. He plays a heavier style, while still being able to contribute offense.

Brannstrom's ceiling is really high offensively, but the odds of him getting there aren't high, and he is soft and extremely undersized.

I would hope we would not have to give up our 1st with Brannstrom for Sergachev, but especially if the 1st is in the 20+ range, I wouldn't be too upset with that trade. With that kind of move, we'd be hedging against Brannstrom's development. There would be risk that we'd "lose" the trade long term, but Sergachev is a known quantity, almost the same age as Brannstrom, and has years of team control remaining (likely 6+ if we trade for him and extend him). It wouldn't be like Brassard for Zibanejad where Brassard was already in his late 20's at the time of the trade and only controlled for 3 more years.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
We targetted Duclair, same thing was said of him

More and more, Duclair seems like a marriage of convenience.

There's no rumblings of us committing long term, despite his improvements to his game.

I think he was a throw in with the Dzingel trade, because we needed NHL bodies down the stretch (see Gibbons+Lindberg as other throw ins), but then he was fantastic and earned himself a contract.

I don't think the off season presents that same kind of opening for Galchenyuk. At the trade deadline, I could have seen it if he was cheap to acquire. I don't think they are going to want to waste resources on a veteran who is the antithesis of the identity they are trying to cultivate.

With Duclair, it was right place/right time, and then Duclair bought in huge. Maybe it's too great of an assumption to say the team isn't interested in extending him long term, but unlike with Connor Brown, nothing has come out yet that would suggest it is a possibility.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We targetted Duclair, same thing was said of him

Yeah but I was going to say, we already had/have enough work with Duclair (+ several other young guys that will need to figure out the play without the puck at the NHL level). IMO, it's one of them and not both. That being said, Duclair is a Winger and believe it or not, better defensively. Galchenyuk gets caught out of position a LOT.

Sergachev is not much older in terms of hockey development years, and he is already a #3 defender. He plays a heavier style, while still being able to contribute offense.

Brannstrom's ceiling is really high offensively, but the odds of him getting there aren't high, and he is soft and extremely undersized.

I would hope we would not have to give up our 1st with Brannstrom for Sergachev, but especially if the 1st is in the 20+ range, I wouldn't be too upset with that trade. With that kind of move, we'd be hedging against Brannstrom's development. There would be risk that we'd "lose" the trade long term, but Sergachev is a known quantity, almost the same age as Brannstrom, and has years of team control remaining (likely 6+ if we trade for him and extend him). It wouldn't be like Brassard for Zibanejad where Brassard was already in his late 20's at the time of the trade and only controlled for 3 more years.

Brassard also had a long injury history

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
All the people putting up Ehlers and Nylander's names, I don't think we waste those prime trade assets on a winger.

Bigger needs are someone capable of being a 1st line C (like when we acquired Turris), or a #3+ D (preferably RD).

We have NYI 1st and 33 as the main pieces that will help us get one of those types of players. If NYI loses their play in, and the 1st/2nd they gave us get bumped up, that makes it a lot easier.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Yeah but I was going to say, we already had/have enough work with Duclair (+ several other young guys that will need to figure out the play without the puck at the NHL level). IMO, it's one of them and not both. That being said, Duclair is a Winger and believe it or not, better defensively. Galchenyuk gets caught out of position a LOT.

Brassard also had a long injury history

I think because Sergachev started in the league young, he feels much older.

He is barely more than a year older than Brannstrom. (Sergachev turned 22 a few days ago, Brannstrom turns 21 in about 2 months). They were drafted a year apart. Sergachev already has about 250 NHL games under his belt if you include playoffs.

Development isn't linear, so when all is said and done, Brannstrom could be the better player. But I'll put it this way, the player Sergachev is right now, if Brannstrom ended up as that for us, people would be pretty happy. Keeping in mind, that Sergachev is only 22, and could get better.

A 1 for 1 swap, or something like Brannstrom and two B assets would be a no brainer. I'm skeptical about whether it would cost us Brannstrom and the NYI 1st, because Tampa's backs are against the wall, and there aren't many teams that will be able to afford to give up assets, and then pay Sergachev between 6-8 million on a 5-8 year contract.

Reactions: NB613

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I mentioned this on the main board but do you think COVID impacts a player decision on where they will sign? With Canada and Ottawa, specifically, having significantly lower cases, would this be a deciding factor in a player deciding between Ottawa and a US city?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If Melnyk could actually pay players I wouldn’t be opposed to packaging the NYI 1st and a mid-tier prospect for an established and young winger from a team up against the cap.

Dream scenario would be Nylander but that’s a pipe dream.

Unfortunately.

I would personally spend the "alternate universe money" courting Alex Pietrangelo to be Chabot's deputy into the future, focussing on drafting quality offence via this year's draft. Would be nice, won't happen with current ownership. Despite Ottawa raising it's future prospects of being a contender, they are also ways away from being a UFA magnet.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I mentioned this on the main board but do you think COVID impacts a player decision on where they will sign? With Canada and Ottawa, specifically, having significantly lower cases, would this be a deciding factor in a player deciding between Ottawa and a US city?
I would say no because no matter where you sign you have to travel everywhere across the continent, but it’s an interesting thought

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
We don’t have to add Brannstrom for Sergachev.

They can take our offer or let Serg go for the RFA compensation.

As undersized and backwards as Brannstrom is he’ll be a fantastic defenceman one day.

Chabot - Brannstrom
Sergachev- Drysdale
Tychonic - JBD
Klevin - Thomson

Could be our defensive prospect pool after the draft. Suck it NHL.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I really like our goal tending pipeline but I'd be so onboard for bringing Lehner back. I consider him to be a top ten goalie in the league right now. I always thought that Lehner was a bit of a jerk which is a quality I admire in a goalie. Think Ed Belfour.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I really like our goal tending pipeline but I'd be so onboard for bringing Lehner back. I consider him to be a top ten goalie in the league right now. I always thought that Lehner was a bit of a jerk which is a quality I admire in a goalie. Think Ed Belfour.
He’s been on three teams in one year. Chicago who badly needs a goalie didn’t even hold on to him. I think that shows what his value is league wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad