Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
How many teams can we trade down in there with?
Like I said, complete fantasy.

I figure 3 + 5 has roughly the same value as 5-6 picks in the 10-20 range, possibly combined with 1 or 2 of the 2nds to get that.

It would take some weird trades to make it happen. 5 for 7 + 30, 7 for 11+40, 30+40+33 for 17, etc.
The NYI pick might be in that range anyways, and then whatever is left of the 2nds might be able to get you another pick.

That's 7-8 picks. I would love to have that volume of potential stars coming out of one draft. Crazy to think what that would look like coming out of one draft.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Hot take, but the Senators should thank John Tavares for signing with the Leafs two years ago after the Sharks thought they had him in the bag. If he hadn't done that Doug Wilson probably wouldn't have panicked and overpaid for a player they really didn't need, and now the Sens are getting ready to pick one of Stutzle or Byfield as a result.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hot take, but the Senators should thank John Tavares for signing with the Leafs two years ago after the Sharks thought they had him in the bag. If he hadn't done that Doug Wilson probably wouldn't have panicked and overpaid for a player they really didn't need, and now the Sens are getting ready to pick one of Stutzle or Byfield as a result.

The EK trade certainly was a great trade . We are so lucky we moved him for a great package let alone extended him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

You're right about the Tavares thing, but the Karlsson trade wasn't an over payment at the time. Dallas offered a similar package. Most analysts viewed the trade as being not enough for Karlsson. Even Pierre Dorion seemed to allude to other GMs being upset about the trade in a certain way. I took it to mean, they were upset Wilson got another star, without really giving up anything significant.

Norris wasn't their #1 prospect, and very few people would have projected the pick to be as high as 3.

There were a few posters here who really liked the trade, but they were in the minority. The Senators needed Karlsson to decline, and the pick to be top 3 to end up winning the trade.

We should just consider ourselves lucky that we dealt from a position of weakness, and had to rely on a rookie GM and a meddling owner to make the biggest trade in franchise history, and we some how ended up with something exceeding the most realistic best case scenario in most people's minds.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If Melnyk could actually pay players I wouldn’t be opposed to packaging the NYI 1st and a mid-tier prospect for an established and young winger from a team up against the cap.

Dream scenario would be Nylander but that’s a pipe dream.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
If Melnyk could actually pay players I wouldn’t be opposed to packaging the NYI 1st and a mid-tier prospect for an established and young winger from a team up against the cap.

Dream scenario would be Nylander but that’s a pipe dream.

I could actually see us being aggressively pursuing Ehlers this offseason. Could offer Tierney and three more solid assets.

I don’t see how there’s any chance Sergachev isn’t an Ottawa Senator by the end of the draft if he becomes available. Third time is the charm.

Reactions: Xspyrit and NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa certainly has the assets & cap space to go after almost anyone they want, whether they can put together a package that the other team would want is another story. Not to mention whether that player would come here or not is also something PD might have to deal with too. I just hope he doesn't give away a player who turns into a star for the other team while the guy we get sucks donkey balls.

Both Sergachev & Nylander would be great adds for Ottawa given they are both still young & very good players. Both would help the team get into a playoff spot much sooner & improve the team as a whole much sooner too. But what would it cost & could Ottawa out bid another team where players might prefer over Ottawa? We don't want to trade for a guy, if he would rather be somewhere else either.

Reactions: NB613

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I could actually see us being aggressively pursuing Ehlers this offseason. Could offer Tierney and three more solid assets.

I don’t see how there’s any chance Sergachev isn’t an Ottawa Senator by the end of the draft if he becomes available. Third time is the charm.

ehlers would be a great target especially with a lower salary next year

cost would probably be isles first + tierney plus something

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Interesting take from Button yesterday about Ottawa being a good fit for the Lehner. Give him 5 x 5, move for Nylander for Brann + 33 if TO says no move on to Ehlers. If Sergechev is on the block then I would offer NYI pick + Wolanin +Brown

Reactions: NB613 and Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Interesting take from Button yesterday about Ottawa being a good fit for the Lehner. Give him 5 x 5, move for Nylander for Brann + 33 if TO says no move on to Ehlers. If Sergechev is on the block then I would offer NYI pick + Wolanin +Brown
did button say this or are you

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think the offer for either Ehlers or Nylander will be Tierney, 2nd ‘20, 3rd ‘30, 2nd ‘21

I really don’t see the Sens trading either or Brannstrom or Brown and if they do I’d be very unhappy.

Same can be said for Sergachev - though I did have this interesting thought - assuming Tampa is interested, what if we traded Zaitsev for Gourde? Swap of bad contracts where Zaitsev can play big minutes in Tampa in the absence of Sergachev and we can use Yanni to mess with Gallagher.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Like I said, complete fantasy.

I figure 3 + 5 has roughly the same value as 5-6 picks in the 10-20 range, possibly combined with 1 or 2 of the 2nds to get that.

It would take some weird trades to make it happen. 5 for 7 + 30, 7 for 11+40, 30+40+33 for 17, etc.
The NYI pick might be in that range anyways, and then whatever is left of the 2nds might be able to get you another pick.

That's 7-8 picks. I would love to have that volume of potential stars coming out of one draft. Crazy to think what that would look like coming out of one draft.

Thing is, you might get one star player out of that, and a mix of 4-6 defensemen and a couple 2/3rd line tweeners. If you want kids that are likely to be stars, you need the picks in the top 5.

And there's the whole issue of the 50 contract limit, too. Trying to sign 5-7 first round kids...that would be rough.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Lehner won’t get that kind of term from anyone

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lehner won’t get that kind of term from anyone
Why not? Its ideal term for his age, he has 2 seasons of being very good and past his mental health issues, and he has a decent pedigree prior to the mental health issues deraoled him for a bit.

I'd love to bring him back but suspect that ship sailed.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Can’t see Toronto moving nylander he is worth more than his contract

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why not? Its ideal term for his age, he has 2 seasons of being very good and past his mental health issues, and he has a decent pedigree prior to the mental health issues deraoled him for a bit.

I'd love to bring him back but suspect that ship sailed.
He is a risk due to his issues (they never go away). I’m not offering my personal opinion, just my prediction. Chicago dumped him for nothing when they have no option in goal for next season. He got 1 year after a great season in NYI. He is unlikely to get term.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think adding Lehner, Sergachev and Nylander at the cost of 21st oa, Brown, Brannstrom, Wolanin and 33rd would seriously fast track things. Its a lot to give up but the bigger issue is paying those three the 18 mil or so it will xost to sign them. I think we might go after one, but all three is likely fantasy...

Reactions: Sen sational

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think adding Lehner, Sergachev and Nylander at the cost of 21st oa, Brown, Brannstrom, Wolanin and 33rd would seriously fast track things. Its a lot to give up but the bigger issue is paying those three the 18 mil or so it will xost to sign them. I think we might go after one, but all three is likely fantasy...

you’d be adding like $20 million in salary. Ottawa will still be a floor team for the next 2-3 years. They won’t even commit to Connor Brown.

Reactions: NB613

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

buttons M.O. is to find any connection a player has to Ottawa and start saying Ottawa should target this player (Lehner, Rossi)

lehner I don’t think would be a good fit. Nilsson is as good at half the price, just roll with that

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You would have to assume they are going with Drysdale if they move both of Wolanin and Brannstrom. Id personally rather move only one of Brannstrom or Wolanin and switch one to Thomson, they need some NHL ready guys to stagger contracts and continue to develop as a group.

I dont see the Ottawa Senators management targeting Nylander and I dont see Toronto trading him in the division that is such an unlikely trade I dont think it should be entertained with any level of assumption or confidence.

I dont see Lehner coming back to Ottawa, not because we want him but because I think he is pretty sour with the city and organization. Alot of his problems stemmed from here, id guess he would be looking for a start in a city he has never played in that he has a poor history.

I also dont think the sens are giving up on Brown, it makes no sense they knew he was a long term project and he is starting to come around. He has progressed trading him now when his value is so low would be a strange thing to do. The team has nothing but time they arent contending, imagine another Zibanejad situation.

Sergachev is something that I would see happening the sens have the right assets and he fits in to what they are trying to do.

A deal around Brannstrom a prospect and one or two of the 2nds could get a deal done for Sergachev.

Maybe Brannstrom, Balcers/Abramov and two 2nds but not 33 overall?

Id love to see that.

Assuming Islandres lose and the pick is 15, id trade it along with 33 and another asset to move up to grab whoever slips Quinn, Holtz, Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti.

Leave the draft with Byfield, Drysdale, Sergachev and one of the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You would have to assume they are going with Drysdale if they move both of Wolanin and Brannstrom. Id personally rather move only one of Brannstrom or Wolanin and switch one to Thomson, they need some NHL ready guys to stagger contracts and continue to develop as a group.

I dont see the Ottawa Senators management targeting Nylander and I dont see Toronto trading him in the division that is such an unlikely trade I dont think it should be entertained with any level of assumption or confidence.

I dont see Lehner coming back to Ottawa, not because we want him but because I think he is pretty sour with the city and organization. Alot of his problems stemmed from here, id guess he would be looking for a start in a city he has never played in that he has a poor history.

I also dont think the sens are giving up on Brown, it makes no sense they knew he was a long term project and he is starting to come around. He has progressed trading him now when his value is so low would be a strange thing to do. The team has nothing but time they arent contending, imagine another Zibanejad situation.

Sergachev is something that I would see happening the sens have the right assets and he fits in to what they are trying to do.
Agreed on just about everything. Out of the group Segachev is the one I'd want.

If we were to add Serg and draft Drysdale at 5th, our D would be set. Stuetzle or Byfield give us the Stud center imo, and we have enough quality prospects to fill out the wings.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok let,s trade for Ehlers/Nylander and Sergachev, sign Lehner and call it a day

Man, Lehner/Hogberg would be exciting but Nilsson has 1 year left... can't ask Hogberg to wait his turn another year in the AHL. Daccord will be NHL ready soon too. And you also have Mandolese, Gustavsson and Sogaard still developing.

Anyway, I'd trade all the 2nd round picks (who have good value in this draft), Tierney, and would make all of White, Wolanin, Balcers, Chlapik, Abramov, Jaros, Lajoie, Zaitsev available to acquire good young talent. Even Connor Brown if a team targets him.

Ehlers is behind high end offensive players (and doesn't get as much PP time as a result) in Winnipeg and his contract is quite reasonnable with 5 years left at 6.0 per season. I think he'd be happy to come to a young team with so much potential and a bigger opportunity. Not to mention, Ottawa is in better position geographically than Winnipeg.

Exciting times but at some point we'll have to open up the purse... or it will be all in vain

OK then. But he never made it farther than the 2nd round with the Caps. Maybe those 6 goals were all 1st round winners. I just don't remember his Washington playoffs as being as memorable as the Kings and Canes runs to the Cup.

Justin Williams Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

1 GWG for Washington in 25 PG
4 GWG for LA in 73 PG
1 GWG for Philly in 17 PG
2 GWG for Carolina in 40 PG

He won the Cup 3 times but only 1 GWG with Carolina in 2006 and none with LA in 2012. His "legend" is based on the 2014 SC where he scored 2 GWG

Playoff Overtime Goals

2014-06-04 LAK 3-2 NYR
2017-04-21 WSH 2-1 TOR

In comparison, Bobby Ryan the outcast scored 4 GWG in the playoffs in only 51 games (vs 155 games for Williams), 1 with Anaheim but 3 with Ottawa in 19 games in 2016... 2 of them were in overtime... If he didn't redeem his poor regular season entirely with that playoffs run, I don't know what he did

Edit : just saw your following post right after but anyway, I added more info

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad