Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
buttons M.O. is to find any connection a player has to Ottawa and start saying Ottawa should target this player (Lehner, Rossi)

lehner I don’t think would be a good fit. Nilsson is as good at half the price, just roll with that
Are you sure Nilsson will play again.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They need to do something with a 2-3 year flat cap.
Don’t think it will be nylander his good contract should be valuable to them

let’s see how his playoffs go

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Are you sure Nilsson will play again.

He passed his concussion baseline test (cleared to be back on the ice) and should be back on the ice as soon as play resumes for the Senators, no indications of retirement or anything of that nature.

Last we heard in February is that he was working really hard to get back in. Really nothing even close to indicating he wouldn't be back.

Unless there's anything you know that we don't or just speculation because he had a concussion?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There is no way Ottawa is giving up bran AND brown for sergachev . Two of those guys are way more cost controlled

That’s a heavy price to pay to help a team in cap trouble for a young top 4 defensemen (not top pairing )

I think Tampa moves other pieces before serge anyways

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There is no way Ottawa is giving up bran AND brown for sergachev . Two of those guys are way more cost controlled

That’s a heavy price to pay to help a team in cap trouble for a young top 4 defensemen (not top pairing )

I think Tampa moves other pieces before serge anyways

Tampa has limited players they can move.

It's going to come down to who put of their RFAs wants to buy in like Point did. Maybe even to a greater extent.

They are really tight to the cap and can only really trade Killorn. There is a reason they overpaid for guys with low cap hits and term. That was when they thought it was going to be an 84.5-88.5 cap ceiling.

Point being, Tampa may not have a choice. They have just under 10 million to sign Sergachev, Cernak, and Cirelli, while also filling 5 roster spots. Even if they roll with a 22 player roster, that's really tight. That's after trading Killorn BTW.

So if you take 2.25M each on average, Tampa isn't in a tight spot.

Also, it needs to be accounted for that if you're Sergachev, and you can sign a 4-5 years at over 6M through a 1st/2nd/3rd offer sheet, can you risk not doing it? Nobody knows what's going to happen with sports in the pandemic. If Serg' signs 2.5 * 2 in Tampa, he is taking a huge risk compared to players last year doing similar things and thinking that the cap would shoot up over the next 2-3 seasons by the time their bridge deals are done.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lightning probably ask for Formenton or Norris instead of Brown.

Def not worth it from Ottawa’s end

Tbh, id consider Formenton instead, probably would just be Formenton and Brannstrom. Would give us opportunity to continue to give L.Brown a shot too.

Sergachev, imo, has top 15 defender potential. The guy is stellar. He can play the heavy game or the skill game. I'd overpay slightly to get him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tbh, id consider Formenton instead, probably would just be Formenton and Brannstrom. Would give us opportunity to continue to give L.Brown a shot too.

Sergachev, imo, has top 15 defender potential. The guy is stellar. He can play the heavy game or the skill game. I'd overpay slightly to get him.
Trading formenton in the division would not be something id be interested in.

Find a way to get him but not at the expense of Formenton his style of play is going to be the identity of this team. He is going to be a nightmare to play against.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Trading formenton in the division would not be something id be interested in.

Find a way to get him but not at the expense of Formenton his style of play is going to be the identity of this team. He is going to be a nightmare to play against.

I agree. If we can be savvy and find a way, I'm all for it. He's likely staying put though, but you never know.

Reactions: bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
anyone think we would go hard after Pieterangelo this summer? Might have the option of overpaying a bit

seems like a long shot with Melnyk but it would be a huge boost to the roster if we can pull off a 6x10 deal and slap the C on him.

I think UFAs will struggle this summer as contenders won't be able to afford them and salaries won't continue to rocket.

Another option is Schultz another Stanley cup champ.

Hamonic beside Chabot might be okay to though I think he said he wants to play in western Canada before

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
anyone think we would go hard after Pieterangelo this summer? Might have the option of overpaying a bit

seems like a long shot with Melnyk but it would be a huge boost to the roster if we can pull off a 6x10 deal and slap the C on him.

I think UFAs will struggle this summer as contenders won't be able to afford them and salaries won't continue to rocket.

Hamonic beside Chabot might be okay to though I think he said he wants to play in western Canada before

I think St. Louis will try to keep him. I think other teams closer would try to make the moves need to sign him. The window that they will be allowed to be over the cap will be interesting.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

If Pietrangelo was a tenable option, I think we'd be foolish not to try for him... but I think there are hurdles that neither the organization nor the player would be willing/able to overcome in order to make it happen.

If we had model ownership, I think we would be the most appealing we've ever been to FAs... but obviously that's not the case

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I love that idea vs trading x3 prospects for Serg. UFA’s will just use us to leverage more $$$ from their destination of choice.

Reactions: NB613

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks danielpalfredsson for that link, haven't visited since the first day it got out

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

Norris, Formenton, Thomson and Brannstrom are gold for the expansion draft being exempt. Also, great that Mandolese is exempt

It will be hard to decide who to protect. Tierney should be traded before that so that's 1 guy to not worry about

Guys who should be locks to be protected : Tkachuk-Batherson-Brown

But then only 4 of these guys could be protected : Duclair-Brown-White-Paul-Balcers-Abramov-Chlapik

I guess it's may the 4 best win...

For the D-men, much easier : Chabot-Wolanin-Jaros

For the goalie, it will be between Daccord, Gustavsson and Hogberg... We might trade one until then

I think because Sergachev started in the league young, he feels much older.

He is barely more than a year older than Brannstrom. (Sergachev turned 22 a few days ago, Brannstrom turns 21 in about 2 months). They were drafted a year apart. Sergachev already has about 250 NHL games under his belt if you include playoffs.

Development isn't linear, so when all is said and done, Brannstrom could be the better player. But I'll put it this way, the player Sergachev is right now, if Brannstrom ended up as that for us, people would be pretty happy. Keeping in mind, that Sergachev is only 22, and could get better.

A 1 for 1 swap, or something like Brannstrom and two B assets would be a no brainer. I'm skeptical about whether it would cost us Brannstrom and the NYI 1st, because Tampa's backs are against the wall, and there aren't many teams that will be able to afford to give up assets, and then pay Sergachev between 6-8 million on a 5-8 year contract.

Did you quote the wrong post? Interesting nonetheless

We don’t have to add Brannstrom for Sergachev.

They can take our offer or let Serg go for the RFA compensation.

As undersized and backwards as Brannstrom is he’ll be a fantastic defenceman one day.

Chabot - Brannstrom
Sergachev- Drysdale
Tychonic - JBD
Klevin - Thomson

Could be our defensive prospect pool after the draft. Suck it NHL.

But how did you get Sergachev if you still have Brannstrom?

And why is Tychonick on your 3rd pair but Thomson, Wolanin, Alsing, Zub aren't? Heck maybe even Reilly, Lajoie and Jaros. Tychonick is behind all these guys on the depth chart and Maxence Guenette might be a better prospect in the near future. Plus any other D-man we draft in 2020

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am going to disagree with you on L. Brown, look at Ottawa's centre position right now. White, Tierny, Anisimov & maybe Hawryluk & Chlapik or maybe Paul who hasn't played centre yet in the NHL/AHL. That's not a a team with strong centremen, that's an explanation for why they are one of the worse teams in the NHL, 2nd worse in fact.

I doubt that L. Brown starts next season (whenever that is) in Ottawa mostly because I think PD needs to move out Tierny & Anisimov first to make room. Same for Norris who I think is another potential top six centre. White seems to be the guy elevated to the top centre on this team when he really should be in the 2nd or 3rd centre spot. At the moment IMO L. Brown is the only centre in this org who has top line potential. Stutzle or Byfield may someday pass him on the depth chart, but that could take a few yrs before they are up to NHL speed & can catch him. Young centres usually start their careers on the wing before attempting to play centre in the NHL.

I can see L. Brown playing first line center in Ottawa if and when Tierney is traded as the Senators do not have high quality centers at this time. Norris might surpass him if he continues to develop at the fast pace he did last year. I just don't see L. Brown being a first line center on a good NHL team. I hope I am wrong, but L. Brown needs to pick up the his pace and energy level, not to mention his physical play.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
But how did you get Sergachev if you still have Brannstrom?

And why is Tychonick on your 3rd pair but Thomson, Wolanin, Alsing, Zub aren't? Heck maybe even Reilly, Lajoie and Jaros. Tychonick is behind all these guys on the depth chart and Maxence Guenette might be a better prospect in the near future. Plus any other D-man we draft in 2020

Tampa with Sergachev will get less than they hope for imo. They will trade him before he gets a 1st/3rd or 1/2/3 from a mid pack team. I think we offer something like 33, 52, 74, 2nd ‘21, Wolanin, B+ prospect (Batherson) as they’ll want a replacement in the blue line and Wolanin isn’t protected from expansion. Also Tampa could use the extra picks to make more moves to keep the core together.

I don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm behind Tychonic. He’s a fine prospect and most teams would love to have him, if not all. The chemistry he’ll have with JBD will help his career.

Reactions: Sweatred

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I can see L. Brown playing first line center in Ottawa if and when Tierney is traded as the Senators do not have high quality centers at this time. Norris might surpass him if he continues to develop at the fast pace he did last year. I just don't see L. Brown being a first line center on a good NHL team. I hope I am wrong, but L. Brown needs to pick up the his pace and energy level, not to mention his physical play.
CouLd Brown not be a really good second line center that is terrific on the PP? Give him some fast physical wingers that can put the puck in the net and i could see him being a 55 to 65 point guy. Thats a pretty darn good player.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Tampa with Sergachev will get less than they hope for imo. They will trade him before he gets a 1st/3rd or 1/2/3 from a mid pack team. I think we offer something like 33, 52, 74, 2nd ‘21, Wolanin, B+ prospect (Batherson) as they’ll want a replacement in the blue line and Wolanin isn’t protected from expansion. Also Tampa could use the extra picks to make more moves to keep the core together.

I don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm behind Tychonic. He’s a fine prospect and most teams would love to have him, if not all. The chemistry he’ll have with JBD will help his career.
eeeeeasy tiger.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am really looking forward to our training camp prior to next season so I can see how L. Brown, Norris, Batherson, Formenton, Brannstrom and our two new #3 and #5 draft picks have developed. I think 2 or 3 will be with the Ottawa Senators next season, and if I had to name them they would be Norris, Batherson & Formenton.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
CouLd Brown not be a really good second line center that is terrific on the PP? Give him some fast physical wingers that can put the puck in the net and i could see him being a 55 to 65 point guy. Thats a pretty darn good player.

I think Brown's ceiling is that: second line center and PP. Pretty darn good but not a number 1 center who can lead us deep into the SC playoffs.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Brown's ceiling is that: second line center and PP. Pretty darn good but not a number 1 center who can lead us deep into the SC playoffs.

It hasn't been that long but man this just seems like a foreign concept now

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I am really looking forward to our training camp prior to next season so I can see how L. Brown, Norris, Batherson, Formenton, Brannstrom and our two new #3 and #5 draft picks have developed. I think 2 or 3 will be with the Ottawa Senators next season, and if I had to name them they would be Norris, Batherson & Formenton.

Have you considered whether the team might keep some prospects in Belleville, junior or Europe a little longer, meaning at least one season in order to not have to protect too many players in the Seattle expansion draft?

I'm often wondering whether that would be advantageous to the team & why they might keep some guys in Belleville a little longer so that they don't have to be protected. When you can only protect 8 players it should clearly be the 8 on the team who will be part of the future team & not protect guys who are not future players like Ryan, Zaitsev, Nilsson & maybe one of Duclair or C. Brown. That's the reason I think everything gets serious & starts for this team after the expansion draft. And in the meantime they are racking up picks & drafting a ton of prospects.

It's another reason to keep Formenton, Norris & Brannstrom in Belleville a little longer although I think Brannstrom has 3 pro seasons already & might need to be protected. Also not sure about L. Brown & whether he might need to be protected as well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah with Stutzle or Byfield eventually developing into that 1C. Down the middle with Byfield Brown Norris Pinto looks pretty damn good to me in 3 years.

Reactions: NB613 and Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

do you know how mad Jeff Brown is at you right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad