Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yea, no team doing Laf for 5th. I can see Stutzle + Pinto + Brannstrom being appealing.

Bottom line, it's gonna take an overpayment.

It would have to be a team that valued a DMAN. The Leafs are a bad trade partner for the Sens but a good example of a team that could justify wanting Drysdale/Sanderson over LAF. With one trade they could rejuvenate their D adding Drysdale, Guhle/Schneider/Baron and possibly Brann, Thomson, Wolanin from the Sens all on low cap hits through their competitive window.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wouldn't overpay for a winger

The history of cup winners where the best player is a winger is quite lean. I wouldn't overpay to be in that situation

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Yea, no team doing Laf for 5th. I can see Stutzle + Pinto + Brannstrom being appealing.

Bottom line, it's gonna take an overpayment.
Getting into Lindros trade scenarios. Laf is one guy. I want two (3+5) assets that have a shot at impact. Laf is great, but that ship has sailed unless we get into overpayment scenarios. Give me either Stutzle or Byfield and one of Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti.

We'll also get a good prospect with NYI pick and if we can somehow make a trade around Tierney, prospect and 2 2nds to get another top 15 it could set the franchise back into a contending place in two years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago and Washington?
I'd argue Tbay with Stlouis back in 2004. That's what, 5 cups in 16 years with a winger as the best player on the team?

Hard to say who the best player on the ducks was, with Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf, Pronger, Niedermayer all being great, but I'd lean towards one of the D or Getzlaf.

Reactions: Smeddy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd argue Tbay with Stlouis back in 2004. That's what, 5 cups in 16 years with a winger as the best player on the team?

Hard to say who the best player on the ducks was, with Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf, Pronger, Niedermayer all being great, but I'd lean towards one of the D or Getzlaf.

Richards was best player for TB in those playoffs. Kuzy just as instrumental for the Caps.

I know you mean regular season but production down the middle in playoffs is where it translates most to cups.

Reactions: JD1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Richards was best player for TB in those playoffs. Kuzy just as instrumental for the Caps.

I know you mean regular season but production down the middle in playoffs is where it translates most to cups.
Ok, so are we calling williams the best player on the kings? You could make a strong argument Kessel actually had the best playoffs for the pens,

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Laf is not just a question of hockey. It s gonna make an impact on the market here

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Tkachuk - Byfield - Batherson
Duclair - LBrown - Raymond/Rossi
White - Norris - CBrown

ex Formenton, Balcers

boys my pants just exploded

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Tkachuk - Byfield - Batherson
Duclair - LBrown - Raymond/Rossi
White - Norris - CBrown

ex Formenton, Balcers

boys my pants just exploded

I love the group, I would just change it up a little if its byfield

Tkachuk-Byfield-CBrown
Duclair-Norris-Batherson (would even consider trying abramov here to try and keep the ahl line together)
White-Brown-Raymond/Rossi or Duclair if we try Abramov above
Paul/Balcers/Anisimov-Tierney-Ryan

Gives us that bigger first line, keeps the ahl combo alive at the very least in norris and batherson to see if they click at the nhl level and then a young line that has a future with the team and a more veteran line.

Keep Formenton and whoever we draft with the Isles pick in the AHL unless their are a few trades since we have 3 extra forwards with nhl at least and not to mention Chlapik at the AHL Level

Reactions: HSF

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I don't think you'd get much support on that argument. Brad Richards won the ConnSmythe that year and having Richards and Lecavalier down the middle was a huge part of that win

Going back to 88-89, there have been 5 wingers win the Conn Smythe and of those, only OV stands out to me as clearly the best player on the team.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
since i did that mock lineup above and discovered all those extra forwards i wanted to check with others as to what would the value be for either

Colin Miller or Jason Demers

We can make the finances work in any said deal and we do need an upgrade on the right side

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I wouldn't overpay for a winger

The history of cup winners where the best player is a winger is quite lean. I wouldn't overpay to be in that situation

Great players are great players. So many wingers have shown themselves to be essential to the success of great teams. Boston with Marchand and Pastrnak, Kucherov on Tampa, St.Louis with Schwartz and Tarasenko, Ovie and Oshie on Washington, Kessel on Pittsburgh, Kane, Hossa and Sharp on Chicago, Alfie, Heatley, Hossa, and Stone for us, and on and on and on.

What you need to win is at least a few great players. If one, or a couple of those guys play the wing, awesome. They get just as much ice-time as centres, they can possess the puck just as much depending on their style of play, they can help just as much on the PP, and the two-way guys can have a big impact defensively, too.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Would you guys trade 5th overall for Monahan? Just curious.

Feel like you could have Monahan/White/Stutzle (or Byfield) as your centers, and have Stutzle/Byfield work his way up to being the #1C. Thoughts?

You could still pick a winger and D if need be with the Isles' pick (and plenty of options in round 2), assuming they don't win pick #1. You'd walk away in this draft with a top notch center prospect and a center who can play 1C and be a highly touted 2C when the top notch center prospect is ready.

No bc Monahan will be 26 y/o this year. Not that he's "old" by any means but the old guys of tomorrow for the Sens might only be Connor Brown (26), Nick Paul (25) and Wolanin (25), none of them is garanteed to be there long term. But all the key future players are comfortably below 25 y/o (not listing all prospects but the main ones) :

Tkachuk (20)
Batherson (21)
Formenton (20)
Norris (20)
Logan Brown (21)
Pinto (19)
Abramov (22)
White (23)
Balcers (23)
Duclair (24)

Chabot (23)
Brannstrom (20)
Bernard-Docker (20)
Thomson (19)

And the guys picked in the draft are just 18, a few will be key players. The only way I see the Sens sacrificing a 5th OA pick in THIS draft is a young rising star still on his ELC. From the Flames I would consider Matthew Tkachuk (22 yo) but I doubt you like doing that.

There will always be teams with bad contracts to dump, because bad contracts are just contracts that teams mistakenly thought were good when they signed them, but come year 3 I think teams will be in a better spot cap wise. We're going to see teams act more conservatively because they know the cap isn't going up for 3 years.

I think this off season now, is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Dorion and Melnyk to put this team years ahead of their rebuild. We have an opportunity to do something similar to what Vegas did a few years ago, and we're not an expansion team. I don't think there's ever been a situation where a team having as much cap flexibility as we do has converged with a majority of the league having as little cap flexibility as they have now. No one could plan something as well as this turned out for the Senators.

Oh yeah, it's an incredible opportunity and any team/ownership would invest to seize it. Having so many talented players on their ELCs or RFA years, plus several high draft picks in the upcoming draft, it's the perfect timing to get solid vets, still young but who can make up for a solid team that will grow together as the young guns reach their potential.

With so many prospects, so many assets (picks), so much cap flexibility, so many things could be done. I doubt Melnyk wants to invest though with the current situation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think you'd get much support on that argument. Brad Richards won the ConnSmythe that year and having Richards and Lecavalier down the middle was a huge part of that win

Going back to 88-89, there have been 5 wingers win the Conn Smythe and of those, only OV stands out to me as clearly the best player on the team.
I don't think conn smyth voting was released back then but i am sure st louis got his share of votes. Richards cerainly had a good playoffs, but with St Louis' hart, Person, and Ross trophies that year I'm comfortable calling him the best player on the team even if Richards arguably had the better playoff run.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Funny, no one mentioned Justin Williams & yet he was the guy that kept scoring the most important goals for teams that he played for in the playoffs (Carolina & Washington).

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think you're thinking LA and Carolina. Williams scored 6 goals in 25 playoff games, over two seasons, for the Caps.
Did he or did he not have a number of game winning goals for both Wash & Carolina? Is that not what he was known for, winning goals in the playoffs?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Did he or did he not have a number of game winning goals for both Wash & Carolina? Is that not what he was known for, winning goals in the playoffs?

OK then. But he never made it farther than the 2nd round with the Caps. Maybe those 6 goals were all 1st round winners. I just don't remember his Washington playoffs as being as memorable as the Kings and Canes runs to the Cup.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Just looked it up. Williams scored 0 GWGs in 2016 and 1 in 2017 during his time with the Caps.

He WAS known for clutch goals in the playoffs and that's why Washington signed him. He just didn't deliver with them.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Great players are great players. So many wingers have shown themselves to be essential to the success of great teams. Boston with Marchand and Pastrnak, Kucherov on Tampa, St.Louis with Schwartz and Tarasenko, Ovie and Oshie on Washington, Kessel on Pittsburgh, Kane, Hossa and Sharp on Chicago, Alfie, Heatley, Hossa, and Stone for us, and on and on and on.

What you need to win is at least a few great players. If one, or a couple of those guys play the wing, awesome. They get just as much ice-time as centres, they can possess the puck just as much depending on their style of play, they can help just as much on the PP, and the two-way guys can have a big impact defensively, too.

Not to mention Richard, Howe, Hull, Lafleur, Bossy, Hull again, Selanne, . .

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I know it's complete fantasy, but what could we reasonably convert our picks into if we traded all of our 1sts and 2nds into the 10-20 range of the first round?

Could we get 7 of those 10 picks? 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->