Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Sergachev is pretty much exactly what the Senators need, and I'd pay a high price to add him to the roster. I think trading Brannstrom, NYI 1st and a little on top of that would be trivial; you just have to do it.

That said, I don't think Tampa will let him get away. Good teams tend not to lose guys like this. I know they have cap problems, and some offer sheet vulnerability as well but I expect they'll find a way to keep him.

In terms of other additions to the team, I'm expecting the team go thrifty again. COVID has probably kicked the revenue sharing safety net out from underneath Melnyk. As we near the draft and free agency I expect to hear that the Senators don't have a great deal of financial freedom despite their gobs of cap space. On the other hand the organization probably can't afford to let this opportunity go by without doing something to improve the team...

So I'm looking to the Leafs again, and I'm expecting one of Johnsson or Kapanen to make their way here via trade. With bonuses being paid yesterday, both players become very attractive to a cash conscious team like the Senators. We could have Johnsson for 3 years at about 2.5M per. Kapanen comes in at 2.1M for 2 years.

So my somewhat realistic off-season:

Brannstrom, NYI 1st and Mike Reilly for Mikhail Sergachev

Columbus 2nd 2020 and Ottawa 4th 2022 for Kasperi Kapanen

Draft Byfield [#3] and Drysdale [#5]

Jump back into the first round with #33 and either the Isles or Dallas pick - take one of forwards in that range [Zary, Bourque, Foerster, Neighbours etc]

Take a defenseman with our remaining 2nd rounder

Tkachuk - Brown - Kapanen
Duclair - Byfield - Brown
Paul - Tierney - Batherson
Chlapik - White - Ryan
Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot - Zub
Sergachev - Zaitsev
Borowiecki - Drysdale
Wolanin

Core of the team becomes Tkachuk, Chabot, Sergachev, Byfield, and Drysdale with Duclair, Kapanen, Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Pinto, JBD, Thomson, Logan Brown, Abramov, Wolanin, Jaros and our remaining 3 high picks in the 2020 draft potentially providing support.

Sets us up nicely for the future.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think his value as a prospect/young NHLer is lower, but his value as a hockey asset is higher. This is because we're closing to the expansion draft, and lots of teams are in a really bad spot with the salary cap.

Players like Norris and Brannstrom would have a lot of value if we choose to trade them, because they are presumably NHL ready, will barely take up any cap for the next two seasons, and teams do not have to waste a protection spot on them.
branstrom will need protecting he will have played 3 years pro by the explansion draft

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sergachev is pretty much exactly what the Senators need, and I'd pay a high price to add him to the roster. I think trading Brannstrom, NYI 1st and a little on top of that would be trivial; you just have to do it.

That said, I don't think Tampa will let him get away. Good teams tend not to lose guys like this. I know they have cap problems, and some offer sheet vulnerability as well but I expect they'll find a way to keep him.

In terms of other additions to the team, I'm expecting the team go thrifty again. COVID has probably kicked the revenue sharing safety net out from underneath Melnyk. As we near the draft and free agency I expect to hear that the Senators don't have a great deal of financial freedom despite their gobs of cap space. On the other hand the organization probably can't afford to let this opportunity go by without doing something to improve the team...

So I'm looking to the Leafs again, and I'm expecting one of Johnsson or Kapanen to make their way here via trade. With bonuses being paid yesterday, both players become very attractive to a cash conscious team like the Senators. We could have Johnsson for 3 years at about 2.5M per. Kapanen comes in at 2.1M for 2 years.

Jump back into the first round with #33 and either the Isles or Dallas pick - take one of forwards in that range [Zary, Bourque, Foerster, Neighbours etc]

Chlapik - White - Ryan
Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot - Zub
Sergachev - Zaitsev
Borowiecki - Drysdale
Wolanin

Core of the team becomes Tkachuk, Chabot, Sergachev, Byfield, and Drysdale with Duclair, Kapanen, Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Pinto, JBD, Thomson, Logan Brown, Abramov, Wolanin, Jaros and our remaining 3 high picks in the 2020 draft potentially providing support.

I do not think L. Brown is ready to play in the NHL at this time, and certainly not as the first line center.
Byfield and Drysdale need more time in Junior to develop and grow, plus some AHL time to play against men.
Trading Brannstrom, the NYI 1st plus something else (late 2nd) would be a decent price to pay to acquire Sergachev.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Chlapik - White - Ryan
Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot - Zub
Sergachev - Zaitsev
Borowiecki - Drysdale
Wolanin

I dont know if that gets the deal done with Tampa, although its probably at least close. The Kapanen deal is too light, though. I know they are pressed for cash, but trading Kapanen for a 50ish pick certainly isn't the best solution they can find. I like your thought process, though, and I do think we have the pieces to acquire those players (although that may be complicated by budget constraints) and I think both players would be very savvy additions.

Reactions: TheDebater

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I do not think L. Brown is ready to play in the NHL at this time, and certainly not as the first line center.
Byfield and Drysdale need more time in Junior to develop and grow, plus some AHL time to play against men.
Trading Brannstrom, the NYI 1st plus something else (late 2nd) would be a decent price to pay to acquire Sergachev.

I am going to disagree with you on L. Brown, look at Ottawa's centre position right now. White, Tierny, Anisimov & maybe Hawryluk & Chlapik or maybe Paul who hasn't played centre yet in the NHL/AHL. That's not a a team with strong centremen, that's an explanation for why they are one of the worse teams in the NHL, 2nd worse in fact.

I doubt that L. Brown starts next season (whenever that is) in Ottawa mostly because I think PD needs to move out Tierny & Anisimov first to make room. Same for Norris who I think is another potential top six centre. White seems to be the guy elevated to the top centre on this team when he really should be in the 2nd or 3rd centre spot. At the moment IMO L. Brown is the only centre in this org who has top line potential. Stutzle or Byfield may someday pass him on the depth chart, but that could take a few yrs before they are up to NHL speed & can catch him. Young centres usually start their careers on the wing before attempting to play centre in the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
branstrom will need protecting he will have played 3 years pro by the explansion draft

I can see how someone would make this mistake, but his first pro year in the AHL doesn't count as a pro year for NHL contract purposes because he was still young enough to have his ELC slide.

A good tool to reference expansion quickly is the Capfriendly expansion draft simulator. It will tell you who is or isn't exempt. (https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle)

cH2LGHI.jpg

Reactions: NB613

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This fan base bitches about the team trading away a young big center with potential like Zibby, then at the same time wants to throw away a 6’6 center who’s been almost PPG in his first 2 seasons in the AHL who just turned 22 last month.

Not me. I am very intrigued at Logan Brown in Sens uniform next season. His problem has been health and associated consistency issues. I think he is in the same echelon as White, with more offensive potential.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Byfield and Drysdale are there for 9 game trials only - I wouldn't expect either player to stick beyond that.

Getting close to now or never time for Logan Brown if you ask me. If he comes into his third pro season and still can't play in the NHL you have to wonder if he ever will. However our team lines up we aren't going to have a true first line center. We might not even have a true second line center. That's the nature of how our team is constructed - nobody is going to be afforded much insulation.

I dont know if that gets the deal done with Tampa, although its probably at least close. The Kapanen deal is too light, though. I know they are pressed for cash, but trading Kapanen for a 50ish pick certainly isn't the best solution they can find. I like your thought process, though, and I do think we have the pieces to acquire those players (although that may be complicated by budget constraints) and I think both players would be very savvy additions.

It's hard to know what trades will look like this summer. There are a lot more teams that need to cut money than there are teams that can take money. In fact, two thirds of the teams in the league are currently either artificially over the cap or within about ~1.5M of the ceiling. Going to be a challenge to get compliant.

I'd be willing to add more to both deals to secure those particular players.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It's hard to know what trades will look like this summer. There are a lot more teams that need to cut money than there are teams that can take money. In fact, two thirds of the teams in the league are currently either artificially over the cap or within about ~1.5M of the ceiling. Going to be a challenge to get compliant.

I'd be willing to add more to both deals to secure those particular players.
Fair enough, that will certainly be a factor. I just think those guys are both appealing enough that teams will need to pony up. Sergachev's RFA ask might price himself out for a few teams, but I think Kapanen at 3.2mil is even more valuable in this new cap reality.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He’s been on three teams in one year. Chicago who badly needs a goalie didn’t even hold on to him. I think that shows what his value is league wide.

This is a flawed way to see it. That's like saying stone is a bad player because the sens needed a top end winger but still traded him. Lehner is a UFA to be and contending team traded for him to be their 1b while their 1A is struggling ...

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if Lehner goes to San Jose.

They need a goalie. Dell is a UFA. Aren't Lehner and Karlsson good friends?

It is suspect that teams refuse to commit to him despite him being a top 5-10 goalie in the league.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This is a flawed way to see it. That's like saying stone is a bad player because the sens needed a top end winger but still traded him. Lehner is a UFA to be and contending team traded for him to be their 1b while their 1A is struggling ...
How are they remotely similar? You seemed to have miss my point entirely. Stone signed an 8 year deal right away. Lehner was not re signed by NYI even though he wanted to sign, and then traded by Chicago a year later even though he would have signed there too. It’s pretty obvious nobody wants to commit long term to him at this point because of the risk involved. I never once said he’s bad, but he’s going to have to settle for one or two year deals because of the risk.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
How are they remotely similar? You seemed to have miss my point entirely. Stone signed an 8 year deal right away. Lehner was not re signed by NYI even though he wanted to sign, and then traded by Chicago a year later even though he would have signed there too. It’s pretty obvious nobody wants to commit long term to him at this point because of the risk involved. I never once said he’s bad, but he’s going to have to settle for one or two year deals because of the risk.

You said "Chicago who badly needs a goalie didn’t even hold on to him. I think that shows what his value is league wide." Depending on how he closes of the season I think its safe to say his floor term this off season will be 3 years he played well on a bad chicago, after winning the jennings trophy with NYI proving he didn't just have a good year and started well with vegas, could possibly even be retained by vegas.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You said "Chicago who badly needs a goalie didn’t even hold on to him. I think that shows what his value is league wide." Depending on how he closes of the season I think its safe to say his floor term this off season will be 3 years he played well on a bad chicago, after winning the jennings trophy with NYI proving he didn't just have a good year and started well with vegas, could possibly even be retained by vegas.
I don’t think he’s going to see any action to close out the season. I would be stunned if he gets more than two years in free agency.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brannstrom + L.Brown + Stars 2nd rounder for Sergachev.

We very well could lose this trade long term. Brown has top 6 or more upside still. Brannstrom top pairing potential. But Sergachev would set us up on defense with Chabot for next decade.

Assuming Isles lose: 34th + 15th overall for 10th overall for 10th. Select Quinn/Rossi/Holtz

draft Byfield and Raymond

2 years:

Tkachuk-Byfield-Raymond
Quinn-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Pinto-Hawrlyuk

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson
Wolanin-Zub

Elite offense: Byfield Raymond Batherson
Scorers + Multidimensonal contributors = Tkachuk Norris Quinn
Elite defenders: Chabot Sergachev
Complimentary top 4s: JBD Thomson
Depth: Everywhere

That would be an unbelievable team. And even if someone like Quinn or Raymond busts we still have other picks and UFA to fill in the rest and even depth

Reactions: Xspyrit

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That whole scenario relies on us getting Sergachev. If we don’t get him, draft Drysdale and make similar package for star young player.

who y’all think can be available maybe? Serg equivalent on forward ? I heard Ehlers but I unno. I can’t think of any other except far outliers in Eichel or Barkov.

I still think TB try to keep Serg by all costs but that package I proposed above could make them pull the trigger. Brannstrom could be even better for them than Serg lined up with Hedman or McDonagh

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
That whole scenario relies on us getting Sergachev. If we don’t get him, draft Drysdale and make similar package for star young player.

who y’all think can be available maybe? Serg equivalent on forward ? I heard Ehlers but I unno. I can’t think of any other except far outliers in Eichel or Barkov.

I still think TB try to keep Serg by all costs but that package I proposed above could make them pull the trigger. Brannstrom could be even better for them than Serg lined up with Hedman or McDonagh

Ekblad’s name has been lobbed around if Florida goes retool.

Outside that - no idea.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

We very well could lose this trade long term. Brown has top 6 or more upside still. Brannstrom top pairing potential. But Sergachev would set us up on defense with Chabot for next decade.

Assuming Isles lose: 34th + 15th overall for 10th overall for 10th. Select Quinn/Rossi/Holtz

2 years:

Tkachuk-Byfield-Raymond
Quinn-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Pinto-Hawrlyuk

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson
Wolanin-Zub

That would be an unbelievable team. And even if someone like Quinn or Raymond busts we still have other picks and UFA to fill in the rest and even depth

Lightning probably ask for Formenton or Norris instead of Brown.

Brown is useless to them if they aren't super high on him. They will not be able to protect him in the Seattle expansion. They would be trading for a player who Seattle would be likely to take from them. Worse, it might get in the way of Seattle taking someone like a Tyler Johnson.

If this is a scenario where Tampa Bay HAS to move Sergachev before the new "July 1st", because they think Sergachev is going to sign an offer sheet that will only get them a 1st/3rd or 1st/2nd/3rd, then Brannstrom/Formenton/2020 2nd makes a lot of sense. I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody else beats that offer. It would give Tampa Bay young roster players, who will both be on their ELCs for another two seasons, and both will be exempt from the expansion draft.

If Brown gets traded, I think people will be disappointed with the return. We invested both the 12th and 80th overall pick to acquire him in the draft. I think he is probably viewed as a polarizing prospect, and with the Seattle draft coming up, it will be difficult for a team to give up anything for him pick wise if they have to risk leaving Brown unprotected. If we trade Brown, it will be something like Brown for another team's struggling prospect who is on the outs with their organization. Puljujarvi, Andersson, Borgstrom, Mittelstadt, etc. If we trade him for a trade pick, we might get a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Sweatred

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

2 years:

Tkachuk-Byfield-Raymond
Quinn-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Pinto-Hawrlyuk

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson
Wolanin-Zub

Def not worth it from Ottawa’s end

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think adding Lehner, Sergachev and Nylander at the cost of 21st oa, Brown, Brannstrom, Wolanin and 33rd would seriously fast track things. Its a lot to give up but the bigger issue is paying those three the 18 mil or so it will xost to sign them. I think we might go after one, but all three is likely fantasy...
But wouldn’t it be nice ? Playoff chase here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad