Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Edmonton win 1st overall.

At the expense of getting Lafreniere, they value getting two lesser but still possible top 6 forwards/top 4 defensemen who will be on their ELC for 3 years at the NHL level (either right away, or 1-2 years from now due to ELC slide).

Do you do 3+5 for 1? Or do you hold on to 3+5?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

At the expense of getting Lafreniere, they value getting two lesser but still possible top 6 forwards/top 4 defensemen who will be on their ELC for 3 years at the NHL level (either right away, or 1-2 years from now due to ELC slide).

I hold 3+5. Two top line talents vs 1 is a no brainer even Laf turns out to be a 90-100 point player. I'll take two 70's (for example)

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Alright, what about this proposal.

Pittsburgh Selects Lafreniere at 1.
Kings go off the board at 2, don't select Stutzle or Byfield

I'm going off rumors that were posted to this board, that probably weren't legit, but this is just for fun. Some posters were saying that it was being reported somewhere that Yzerman had Stutzle at 1 ahead of Lafreniere. If that's the case, he is very high on Stutzle.

Let's say we have Stutzle/Byfield very close. Just to add some sort of weight to the deal, let's say we have Stutzle higher, but not by a great amount. Both are on the same tier.

DETROIT RECEIVES
3rd Overall 2020
*Conditional 2021 OTT 1st Round Pick

OTTAWA RECEIVES
4th Overall 2020
*Conditional 2021 DET 1st Round Pick

*Condition = If Detroit's 2021 pick is higher (closer to 1st) than Ottawa's 2021, the teams will exchange 2021 picks. If Detroit's pick is not higher than Ottawa's 2021 pick, both sides will keep their original picks.

The scenario would require Detroit being super high on Stutzle. If they project Stutzle as being better than Lafreniere, than it is logical to assume that they project him higher than anyone in the next draft. While the Senators could go on a pesky run, it's reasonable to expect that we will probably be in the bottom 10 next year. We also know how difficult it is to win the lottery, so even if Detroit finishes last place, there's a very low chance that they are giving up the top pick.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
More of a passing comment, so obviously not a rumor, but when talking about our huge number of picks in this draft, and how we'll obviously consider moving some (not 3/5) for players, Brent Wallace mentioned how we really need a first line center, and wondered if we'd move any picks for that piece.

I'm not sure what 1st line centers would be available. Duchene is a name I have brought up in this thread, because he doesn't have trade protection, and at one point this season Nashville was listening on everybody. Eichel seems more like fan fiction. I guess we could acquire Stepan after his bonus is paid, and say that he used to be a 1st line center in 2015.....

Maybe Cirelli from Tampa because of their cap situation? If you consider the totality of his game, I guess he could be considered a first line center 18.5 minutes a night on a deep team probably equals like 32 minutes a night if we use the Connor Brown conversion method, 2 way play, can produce, etc. When I use the term first line center, I just mean a guy who is a first line and plays C, not the traditional way people say 1C where they are actually referring to a franchise C like McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, etc.

In the same segment, Garrioch put Stutzle over a lot. He didn't talk a lot about Byfield, but I think it was because he was meaning to establish that the Senators loved their worse case scenario at 3, so whatever happens they are good. That Stutzle is rated 3 in mock drafts, and the Sens love him, so regardless of what happens they are getting a guy they really like at 3. Not that, Stutzle is their guy, so we better hope he drops to 3.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I would trade back to 7-8th if the offers are good enough and draft Holtz. IMO we need a pure shooter and I think people sleep on his potential. Play him on his off-wing so he can used as a trigger man. I'd also use the assets we recoup and package them to get the NYI pick higher to draft Jarvis (really want).

Future top line: Holtz - Stutzle - Batherson

2nd line: Tkachuk - Norris/L.Brown - Jarvis

3rd line: Formenton - L.Brown/Norris - Duclair

Am I the only one drooling over our potential future line combos? Each line has a play-maker, speedster and a goal scorer. Good blend of skill all around.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Dorion said the the third tier of the draft is the 4 - 12. Depending where that NYI pick is add that to a couple of second rounders this year I would love to trade into 10-12 pick if another GM bites. If Dorion believes there is a drop after 12 I am sure he is probably already exploring this idea.

we don't really need much more quantiy, we got a lot of quantity time to upgrade it to bit of quality.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I would hold onto 3+5. But with that said the Sens do have some assets they could part ways with to move up. Garrioch suggested that the Sens might be looking to trade Tierney. Also a prospect like Balcers might be expendable. Would a team trade 1st overall for 3rd overall + Tierney or Balcers? Or what about 1st overall for 3rd overall + Tierney + Balcers?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Would you guys trade 5th overall for Monahan? Just curious.

Feel like you could have Monahan/White/Stutzle (or Byfield) as your centers, and have Stutzle/Byfield work his way up to being the #1C. Thoughts?

You could still pick a winger and D if need be with the Isles' pick (and plenty of options in round 2), assuming they don't win pick #1. You'd walk away in this draft with a top notch center prospect and a center who can play 1C and be a highly touted 2C when the top notch center prospect is ready.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot

Feel like you could have Monahan/White/Stutzle (or Byfield) as your centers, and have Stutzle/Byfield work his way up to being the #1C. Thoughts?

You could still pick a winger and D if need be with the Isles' pick (and plenty of options in round 2), assuming they don't win pick #1. You'd walk away in this draft with a top notch center prospect and a center who can play 1C and be a highly touted 2C when the top notch center prospect is ready.
Hard NO.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Makes no sense from a Sens POV.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I wonder if we could move up from the Isles pick via taking on a cap dump vs trading away picks

Chicago: Taking on Smith or Murphy
Florida: Taking on Stralman
Canes: Gardiner
Flames: Ryan or Bennett

Isles pick and smaller contract (Nillson/Reilly etc) for higher pick and one of those contracts. Flat cap and those teams needing to resign players could maybe work something out

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
5th overall is too much for Monahan right now.

I could see him going for something like 15th overall (NYI 1st, assuming they lose their play in) + 1st Round Tier Prospect + B level piece (2nd or 3rd or Tierney).

He doesn't have enough term left to warrant giving up 5th overall. We could be setting ourselves up to have to liquidate him 2 years from now. 15th overall is a strong piece in this draft.

In 2017, Brayden Schenn with 3 years of term went for a very late 1st, an additional 1st, and a 3rd line roster player. Monahan should be more valuable than Schenn was at the time of the trade, but that goes to show you player/very good 1st round pick pick/1st round tier prospect isn't far off when Schenn went for a bad 1st, a future 1st, and a 3rd liner.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The salary cap expected to remain the same for the next 3 seasons. This should be big for a team like Ottawa that could use their space to obtain some really good talent from cap strapped teams.

Reactions: NB613

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The salary cap expected to remain the same for the next 3 seasons. This should be big for a team like Ottawa that could use their space to obtain some really good talent from cap strapped teams.

It's good for us this season.

Seattle will skew the market against us next season. Teams will still give out good pieces to dump contracts. An additional 81.5 million in salary cap will change the supply and demand.

There will always be teams with bad contracts to dump, because bad contracts are just contracts that teams mistakenly thought were good when they signed them, but come year 3 I think teams will be in a better spot cap wise. We're going to see teams act more conservatively because they know the cap isn't going up for 3 years.

I think this off season now, is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Dorion and Melnyk to put this team years ahead of their rebuild. We have an opportunity to do something similar to what Vegas did a few years ago, and we're not an expansion team. I don't think there's ever been a situation where a team having as much cap flexibility as we do has converged with a majority of the league having as little cap flexibility as they have now. No one could plan something as well as this turned out for the Senators.

With that said, I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll spend. For once, with COVID-19 destroying pro sports revenues, Melnyk has a legitimate excuse about not spending money much beyond the floor.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Put a package together around Tierney plus a high prospect like Abramov with two 2nds to get into the 10-15 range for another shot at a Quinn level prospect. Target a team that needs more picks (Winnipeg?? Minnesota??) Help them out now for something that will develop in a few years when we need it.

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think this off season now, is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Dorion and Melnyk to put this team years ahead of their rebuild. We have an opportunity to do something similar to what Vegas did a few years ago, and we're not an expansion team. I don't think there's ever been a situation where a team having as much cap flexibility as we do has converged with a majority of the league having as little cap flexibility as they have now. No one could plan something as well as this turned out for the Senators.

Is Dorion the kind of guy who is willing and capable of jumping on this kind of opportunity? Is Melnyk the kind of owner that would sign off on it?

I trust Dorion's skills as as scout and evaluator but I'm not sold on his capacity to wheel and deal. You'd rather have someone like Doug Wilson in this situation.

Reactions: NB613 and h2owned

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Nope.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I personally wouldn't mind a 3rd + 5th for 1st + because just 3rd + 5th for just the 1st overall is way too much there has to be a good add from the other team

Hypothetically what's the worst combo of 1st+1st round pick for 3rd+5th would you do ?

3rd+5th for 1st+8th is the worst i would do i think and is a close to fair deal imo.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I personally wouldn't mind a 3rd + 5th for 1st + because just 3rd + 5th for just the 1st overall is way too much there has to be a good add from the other team

Hypothetically what's the worst combo of 1st+1st round pick for 3rd+5th would you do ?

3rd+5th for 1st+8th is the worst i would do i think and is a close to fair deal imo.

I’d focus on 5th. I’d do 5th, 33, Pinto, 2x$5 of Cap relief . I’d rather sub in Balcers, CT, Wolanin, Ambramov etc.

Than I’d put Laf in the lineup this year and Byfield next year.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I’d focus on 5th. I’d do 5th, 33, Pinto, 2x$5 of Cap relief . I’d rather sub in Balcers, CT, Wolanin, Ambramov etc.

Than I’d put Laf in the lineup this year and Byfield next year.

Think it would take more than that for 1st and I don't think any team would do it for 5th.

1st + dump for 3rd + NYI 1st + Balcers/Wolanin/Abramov or even Pinto is the most i'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad