Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are they? They are certainly more pronounced.

Using the way backmachine and cap geeks archived team caps, we had

2011-12 - 26th highest cap hit
2012-13 - 25th
2013-14 - 26th

Couldnt find 2014-15

On capfriendly we we 23rd in 2015-16 though and moved up to 19th in 2016-17. So 19th in the year Dorion proclaimed why not us, why not now.

I don't even need a wayback machine to know that the spread was way different back then...how about you look that up?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't even need a wayback machine to know that the spread was way different back then...how about you look that up?
Do you need a way back machine to remember thread after thread discussing how bottom third payroll teams were at a significant disdvantage and people complaining were were never going to compete for the cup until we stopped being in that bottom tier of teams?

Honestly, you don't want to believe s criticisms of our spending relative to other teams weren't present or valid back then, be my guest, I'm not going to be the one digging through the archives to convince you.

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
I was daydreaming. Assume that:

Sens get #3 pick (Stutzle) and #5 (Drysdale).
Sens trade NYI's + Brannstrom to move to top 10 and draft Sanderson.
Sens trade for Matt Murray.

Lineup in 2-3 years:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Duclair
Norris-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Balcers-Paul-Brown

Chabot-Drysdale
Sanderson-JBD
Wolanin-Zaitsev

Murray
Daccord

What you guys think of this? This defence could be best in entire league in few years.
Would there be enough firepower in that forward group to keep up with other elite forward groups around the league?

Last edited:
Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Lineup in 2-3 years:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Duclair
Norris-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Balcers-Paul-Brown

Chabot-Drysdale
Sanderson-JBD
Wolanin-Zaitsev

Murray
Daccord

What you guys think of this? This defence could be best in entire league in few years.
Would there be enough firepower in that forward group to keep up with other elite forward groups around the league?
Maybe I put Duclair at left wing to put Norris at center and Paul to left wing on fourth to make room for Hawryluk

Reactions: Maraz

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Lineup in 2-3 years:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Duclair
Norris-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Balcers-Paul-Brown

Chabot-Drysdale
Sanderson-JBD
Wolanin-Zaitsev

Murray
Daccord

If Connor Brown is going to play 20m/g he might as well play on the 1st line.
Might as well put White on the 4th line to satisfy Sweatred
Then Duke goes all the way down to 3rd line

Who plays on the special teams?

And no, I don't think the firepower is strong enough.

Sens
images

Vs

Best offensive teams
images

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Lineup in 2-3 years:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Duclair
Norris-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Balcers-Paul-Brown

Chabot-Drysdale
Sanderson-JBD
Wolanin-Zaitsev

Murray
Daccord

If we could walk out of this draft with Stutzle and both Sanderson and Drysdale, you make it happen, especially if it only costs a mid 1st and Brannstrom I’d add quite a bit to that if needed, the difference between Sanderson and Brannstrom is quite a bit bigger than a mid 1st.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Three days to go, until we learn the draft order for the bottom 7 teams. Then we can have a great debate on who to draft with our picks for months! :)

Reactions: innocent bystander

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh call it whatever you want EM policy of doing everything on the cheap has ,done nothing but put us into a perpetual rebuild....Us having to find takers for guys like Hammond and Greening lol,most teams can just bury those and replace smalish contacts like this...But in Ottawa where EM counts every dime ,we have to wait until they expire..Or take less in deals to move them along

Oct 10, 2010
Meh call it whatever you want EM policy of doing everything on the cheap has ,done nothing but put us into a perpetual rebuild....Us having to find takers for guys like Hammond and Greening lol,most teams can just bury those and replace smalish contacts like this...But in Ottawa where EM counts every dime ,we have to wait until they expire..Or take less in deals to move them along
This is why we'll never be great because by the time we get good it's time to rebuild when our players become expensive... For me, it's the never ending rebuild so while i'm happy we are getting 2 top 6 choices, our window is super small when it should be amazingly large..

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I really hope the isles win the lottery. I want that pick to go back in unprotected for 2021.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
This is why we'll never be great because by the time we get good it's time to rebuild when our players become expensive... For me, it's the never ending rebuild so while i'm happy we are getting 2 top 6 choices, our window is super small when it should be amazingly large..

This x 1000000. I don't know why people are so eager to build out these elaborate rosters. This team can't afford to ice a deep, contending team like the Hawks back in the day. If the top two picks turn out to be our Matthews and Marner, we're retooling and losing guys in 3 years.

This rebuild saved the team money and allows them to get some top young talent. Hopefully we get a couple of years of playoffs and maybe a miracle run out of it but this team will not be a real contending team.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This x 1000000. I don't know why people are so eager to build out these elaborate rosters. This team can't afford to ice a deep, contending team like the Hawks back in the day. If the top two picks turn out to be our Matthews and Marner, we're retooling and losing guys in 3 years.

This rebuild saved the team money and allows them to get some top young talent. Hopefully we get a couple of years of playoffs and maybe a miracle run out of it but this team will not be a real contending team.
Yep ,EM will BS up a storm to try and sell everyone that he is for real this time...But we should know better

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ouf not me , can be worst next year. The best is if he lost again Panthers and we pick around 15 th and move up for Askarov
Really? I don't think the isles are all that special. I see next their year's pick being at worst like 20th overall, but at best a top 3.
Barring an insane run, this year its like at worst 21 and at best 13.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ironically, Melnyk's unwillingness to spend might have resulted in our rebuild being timed almost perfectly. (Perfect would have been before making the Duchene trade).

Most teams owners are far too committed to winning. I know this is a weird thing to say. But they are so committed to winning in the short term, that it would be impossible for a GM to convince them to a do a proper tear down while their team is still good, and thus still has assets to move. Short term pain for long term gain.

I'm not Eugene Melnyk. I don't know what's in his heart. Some people have thought this was a Financially Motivated Tear Down™. If so, we sort of lucked out, because we'd be in a lot worse of a spot if we had long term contracts on the books right now.

I hope there is an end game to this rebuild, and someone is actually going to spend money to build on the position the Senators are in. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic though. I hope I am proven wrong.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Do you need a way back machine to remember thread after thread discussing how bottom third payroll teams were at a significant disdvantage and people complaining were were never going to compete for the cup until we stopped being in that bottom tier of teams?

Honestly, you don't want to believe s criticisms of our spending relative to other teams weren't present or valid back then, be my guest, I'm not going to be the one digging through the archives to convince you.

Our current situation is that the competition spends 1/3rd more than we do based on a 60m floor versus an 80m ceiling, which are just numbers i rounded without looking up the actual values. And that's if we weren't plaing cap games to get to the floor, which we are.

If you want to go back 7 or 8 years and compare the situation then to today, we're not looking at our competition spending 1/3rd more. With the cap rising and our salary dollars falling the gap between what we spend versus the competition exploded and that explosion has come in the past two seasons. I don't need a way back machine to look up data...what I'm saying is accurate regardless of your goal post shifting spin machine crap.

I initially responded to a post saying we left 20M of cap space on the table in reference to the late Karlsson years. You acknowledged that that was hyberbole and then your spin machine bullshit started. Full stop. Let it go man.

Honest to god, i used to think you knew better, now I'm not so sure. Spin spin spin spin spin.

It's f***ing simple. The 20m was a rather large exaggeration. You acknowledged such. And what's transpired since is your f***ing futile attempt to spin the shit out of it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Even the guy that posted the 20M liked the post where i said the real games with the cap started in 18 19. Think about that. And what's transpired since. Spin spin spin.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Lineup in 2-3 years:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Duclair
Norris-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Balcers-Paul-Brown

Chabot-Drysdale
Sanderson-JBD
Wolanin-Zaitsev

Murray
Daccord

I don’t think PD is going to trade the bulk of his return from Stone + Pageau for 10th overall... and I’m glad he won’t. We don’t even know if Sanderson will be better than Brann.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ironically, Melnyk's unwillingness to spend might have resulted in our rebuild being timed almost perfectly. (Perfect would have been before making the Duchene trade).

Most teams owners are far too committed to winning. I know this is a weird thing to say. But they are so committed to winning in the short term, that it would be impossible for a GM to convince them to a do a proper tear down while their team is still good, and thus still has assets to move. Short term pain for long term gain.

I'm not Eugene Melnyk. I don't know what's in his heart. Some people have thought this was a Financially Motivated Tear Down™. If so, we sort of lucked out, because we'd be in a lot worse of a spot if we had long term contracts on the books right now.

I hope there is an end game to this rebuild, and someone is actually going to spend money to build on the position the Senators are in. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic though. I hope I am proven wrong.
The end game is to get max value out of the next TV contracts + Seattle expansion fee. Nothing else matters. This team can't compete financially until our total TV contract revenue is over $65 million per year. Would be an ideal time for him to sell the team and ride off into the sunset with another $500+ million in his pocket.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I'm not sure how I feel about getting a 2021 1st at the expense of a top 15 pick in a strong 2020 draft.

How good does the 2021 pick have to be to get us an equivalent prospect? Especially since we have ammo to move up of needed.

Also, I'd be concerned about the dynamic of the 2021 scouting availability. Who knows how much info might be unavailable if smaller leagues cannot run the same schedule, or if scouts ar le unable to travel to games.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don’t think PD is going to trade the bulk of his return from Stone + Pageau for 10th overall... and I’m glad he won’t. We don’t even know if Sanderson will be better than Brann.

True we don't but I would gamble on him being a more valuable player. Better ... at what? Sanderson has more size and more speed and is very good defensively .. I will take that as a starting point.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I was just looking at the UFA's and imagine we offered Pietrangelo a contract. He could be an amazing anchor for Chabot.

Chabot - Pietrangelo
XXX - Drysdale
Sanderson - JBD

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I was just looking at the UFA's and imagine we offered Pietrangelo a contract. He could be an amazing anchor for Chabot.

Chabot - Pietrangelo
XXX - Drysdale
Sanderson - JBD

We're one of the few teams who could offer him Karlsson/Doughty money.

It's irrelevant though, because it would require us spending to/beyond (LTIR) the cap long term.

I am getting pajama vibes from him. I think he will go to Toronto on a 1-2 year contract at a hometown discount. St.Louis could have made it a priority to move money around for him last year and I think it is unlikely that St.Louis did not want to sign him at top pairing money. That makes me think, he doesn't want to stay there.

You can't talk to St.Louis fans on the main board about this, because they will tell you that teams will be lining up to help them out and take players like Bozak. But when St.Louis signed Scandella, to me, that says Pietrangelo is gone. Unless they are going to do something way out of left field, like trade ROR to clear cap, signing Scandella made it next to impossible to pay Pietrangelo 8+ million.

Their trade-able players to clear cap are probably Schwartz (5.0M), O'Reilly (7.5M), and Parayko (5.5M). So I shouldn't say it is impossible that they can sign Parayko at 8-10M, but if they were going to do that, why would they dig themselves into such a difficult hole by signing Scandella? They basically would have to trade Schwartz+Parayko.

Maybe Perron and Allen are desirable, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad