Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure that will be enough. We would need to start with the 3rd overall, plus Isles pick plus one of our 2nd rounders and then a top Sens prospect (Batherson or Formenton)

I would do the 5th, NYI pick, one second round pick plus one of: another second pick/Brännström.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don’t think it’s overpay the 3 and 5. I think this is the right price for thinking a team to trade. We have the isles pick too plus maybe a late first if we trade a couple of second round. Laf + two other first would be amazing

THere's another factor here.

If we trade 3+5 for 1...who will be Laf's center? We get a thoroughbred winger but no legit 1C to support him. How does that help the team when you effectively neuter your star player?

Reactions: aragorn

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It should be easy to get another top 15 pick with all the 2nds we have + the Isles first

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

If we trade 3+5 for 1...who will be Laf's center? We get a thoroughbred winger but no legit 1C to support him. How does that help the team when you effectively neuter your star player?
He would make other guys legit 1Cs. Norris and brown would be great with him

Reactions: Crosside

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

You have just to put someone good on faceoff Paul could make the job with Laf

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There is probably some catch-22 thing going on here when considering 3+5 for 1 trade scenarios. If a team is willing to consider it then that probably means the guy ranked #1 isn't good enough to make the deal for. Conversely, the years when it's obviously +EV to make the deal [Crosby, McDavid, Kane type at the top] teams won't even entertain the notion.

It would take some serious brass balls to do this sort of deal - for both Dorion and whomever lands the top pick. You're really putting yourself at risk if it doesn't break your way.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Would you trade 3 and 21 for 1?

Id be super torn on this...

If I knew LA was taking Stutzle 2nd, and that Byfield was going to slide to us at #3, I would absolutely not trade up.

But I would rather Laffreniere over Stutzle + 21st OV by quite a bit...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
There is probably some catch-22 thing going on here when considering 3+5 for 1 trade scenarios. If a team is willing to consider it then that probably means the guy ranked #1 isn't good enough to make the deal for. Conversely, the years when it's obviously +EV to make the deal [Crosby, McDavid, Kane type at the top] teams won't even entertain the notion.

It would take some serious brass balls to do this sort of deal - for both Dorion and whomever lands the top pick. You're really putting yourself at risk if it doesn't break your way.

Couldnt agree more, and its exactly why Dorion is 99% likely to stay put at 3 & 5 - especially considering how deep most feel the top 10 is this year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You have just to put someone good on faceoff Paul could make the job with Laf

So.....buy a brand new Lamborghini...then fill the tank with the cheapest gas you can find.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to go all out and get Laf, you need to at least give him a legit 1C...and Norris and Brown aren't it. Spending a ton of assets, you need to at least make sure Laf has the players around him to reach his ceiling. You don't just throw him to the wolves with no support...that's the Oilers way of doing things.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I easilllllly trade 3+ 21 for 1st.

Heck, I trade 3+ 13/15.

Now I love Lafreniere. But if we play this smart 3+5 >>>>Laf.

The top 5 is DEEP. If we play our cards right there is bound to be opportunity to walk away with 2 first line/pairing players.

With Laf you know you are getting almost surefire star. So for that reason I probably do it. But man, Byfield+ Perfetti/Raymond?? Any of those guys can end up better than Laf.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I easilllllly trade 3+ 21 for 1st.

Heck, I trade 3+ 13/15.

Now I love Lafreniere. But if we play this smart 3+5 >>>>Laf.

The top 5 is DEEP. If we play our cards right there is bound to be opportunity to walk away with 2 first line/pairing players.

With Laf you know you are getting almost surefire star. So for that reason I probably do it. But man, Byfield+ Perfetti/Raymond?? Any of those guys can end up better than Laf.
Yeah but just to pissed off all the Habs fan , worth the price. Imagine all french media talk about it , Golden

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So.....buy a brand new Lamborghini...then fill the tank with the cheapest gas you can find.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to go all out and get Laf, you need to at least give him a legit 1C...and Norris and Brown aren't it. Spending a ton of assets, you need to at least make sure Laf has the players around him to reach his ceiling. You don't just throw him to the wolves with no support...that's the Oilers way of doing things.

First, I would rather have two players in the top 5 than one player in the top 5 given that Stutzle as an example could be almost as good a LWer in the NHL. Second, your post is also the reason that if Ottawa drafts Stutzle they should also draft Lundell to give him a top 10 centre to grow with who has his own set of skills that could compliment Stutzle. They might even be able to draft a big, RW playmaker like Jaromir Pytlik to complete the line.

If it's Byfield than obviously he is the future #1 centre & we try & place competent wingers with him. And if it's Stutzle than it makes sense to acquire another good centre to play with him. They could use one of the centres they have now Brown, Norris or White but I expect that Lundell might be a better replacement for White. I think this team could use another good top six line & it's possible they could get that in this draft, one way or another.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

How do you Norris isn't that? He's been a 1C at the AHL level as a rookie.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How do you Norris isn't that? He's been a 1C at the AHL level as a rookie.

He might turn into a 1C the same way we used Turris as one. But, if you're getting what you'd hope to be a real star winger, you want a legit 1C.

It's the whole winger problem. If Laf was a center (why the hell his bantam or earlier coaches didn't make him a center is beyond me) I'd move 3+5 in a heartbeat for him. But a winger is just different territory. Wingers generally need to good center to be their best. If we're mortgaging the future for a kid, you need to give him the best environment to grow.

But as it stands, we're going to get two good kids at 3 and 5, and with a flat cap and a budget, that's probably our best bet for the foreseeable future. We won't have any superstars, and will have to win as a team.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Would have been nice to get the 2 and 3 picks and get both by field and stutzle. Would have opened doors to many more trades down the line to make space (most notably Logan brown).

I wonder if either of LA/OTT would do a swap of #2 with #5 and Logan Brown (as a base)

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Would have been nice to get the 2 and 3 picks and get both by field and stutzle. Would have opened doors to many more trades down the line to make space (most notably Logan brown).

I wonder if either of LA/OTT would do a swap of #2 with #5 and Logan Brown (as a base)

I really doubt Logan Brown moves the needle for the Kings. If I'm LA, I don't see the value in trading down for a big centre and the #5 to grab another centre/winger when they already have that choice in front of them with Byfield and Stutzle.

I think they would be looking for a bigger add.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I just read Anderson, Boedker, Sabourin and Peca walk to ufa avenue but not mention Boro

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
If they're going to make a trade for picks I think New Jersey will be our most likely partner. Dorion has mentioned that they are a cut off in quality around 14/15 so I could see him trying to get another early-teens pick.

A potential trade I could see is:

OTT 2020 1st + NYI 2020 1st + Highest second rounder outside of OTTs pick

For

NJD 2020 1st + ARI 2020 1st

It would very much be dependent on how the play-in round goes. If the Arizona pick ends up being 10th OA I would go for it. Get a chance to have 3 top-10 picks. Means we could leave the draft with some really great prospects.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
If they're going to make a trade for picks I think New Jersey will be our most likely partner. Dorion has mentioned that they are a cut off in quality around 14/15 so I could see him trying to get another early-teens pick.

A potential trade I could see is:

OTT 2020 1st + NYI 2020 1st + Highest second rounder outside of OTTs pick

For

NJD 2020 1st + ARI 2020 1st

It would very much be dependent on how the play-in round goes. If the Arizona pick ends up being 10th OA I would go for it. Get a chance to have 3 top-10 picks. Means we could leave the draft with some really great prospects.
I don’t understand, you said the Ottawa first. Wich one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad