Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Any dream with Logan brown as a first line centre is a nightmare
I m agree, I m not a big fan of Brown too. But I see a chemistry with Duclair the couple shifts he play with him. And Laf boost every player. We can put Norris but I want to bring him at the deadline to replace Anisimov. If White don’t make the job on the second line at the deadline, you can put Norris on and White on fourth

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I m agree, I m not a big fan of Brown too. But I see a chemistry with Duclair the couple shifts he play with him. And Laf boost every player. We can put Norris but I want to bring him at the deadline to replace Anisimov. If White don’t make the job on the second line at the deadline, you can put Norris on and White on fourth
stop focusing on Brown, you're missing ''the Analytic"s point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd rather sign him than Hainsey but how is his foot (that was the issue, right)?

Anyhow, i doubt we go there or he entertains coming here.

I agree that he would not want to play for Ottawa; however, I suspect he might play for a USA team with a good probability of winning the SC, lower taxes, better weather and the cap space to pay him a high salary.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It's a good thing that they sign, it's a bad thing that they may not play in a competitive game for 12-18 months.

You can only develop so much in practices and scrimmages.
I would think that if JBD and Pinto were to sign and join the Sens "taxi squad" they would be given some games in the NHL.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The NHL should have teams travel with their entire NHL/AHL roster, and have an AHL game in the same arena the NHL game is schedule in instead of having the AHL team play in a different city.

So if Ottawa travels to Toronto for a game, they bring two teams. Their farm team plays Toronto's farm team in the afternoon, NHL teams play at night. Or, on different days. Whatever works better logistic wise.

If AHL teams are unable to open the arenas to fans, it makes no difference where the Belleville Senators play. AHL will still get their TV content for AHL TV and any local TV contracts the teams might have. The NHL will get their prospects playing pro games without interruption.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The NHL should have teams travel with their entire NHL/AHL roster, and have an AHL game in the same arena the NHL game is schedule in instead of having the AHL team play in a different city.

So if Ottawa travels to Toronto for a game, they bring two teams. Their farm team plays Toronto's farm team in the afternoon, NHL teams play at night. Or, on different days. Whatever works better logistic wise.

If AHL teams are unable to open the arenas to fans, it makes no difference where the Belleville Senators play. AHL will still get their TV content for AHL TV and any local TV contracts the teams might have. The NHL will get their prospects playing pro games without interruption.
I really like this idea.

Even without covid, the idea of a double header hockey game with the two AHL affiliates playing immediately before the NHL squads sounds awesome to me. I would totally shell out for tickets to that. Maybe even stick a decent little half-time concert in betwen the games.

Edit:. Plus i could see melnyk making more on a leafs/marlies double header at CTC than he would playing the two games separately.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackieDaytona

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I really like this idea.

Even without covid, the idea of a double header hockey game with the two AHL affiliates playing immediately before the NHL squads sounds awesome to me. I would totally shell out for tickets to that.

It does ... but it takes a lot of players to support an AHL team (like an ECHL team) to buffer injuries etc. I wonder would they run a full team 5v5 or want something smaller. Would they stay in the same hotel? Same daily expense benefits ?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
or not get any games at all.
I was going on a another poster's suggestion that all NCAA, major junior and AHL games would be cancelled and those players would not see any live game action for 18 months. That's why I thought guys like JBD and Pinto would be given some NHL games.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Not all the ahl players are under contract with the nhl club and most ahl teams aren’t owned by the nhl team like Ottawa’s is. This won’t work.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It does ... but it takes a lot of players to support an AHL team (like an ECHL team) to buffer injuries etc. I wonder would they run a full team 5v5 or want something smaller. Would they stay in the same hotel? Same daily expense benefits ?
If the AHL and NHL team are travelling together, they can share heathy scratches. Like last year when Goloubef spent the first 20 games not playing for wither team, instead he'd be an every night player for the AHL. squad unless the big club needed him. In essence, the nhl team would have a 20 man roster with no extras because the entire AHL club would be available.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If the AHL and NHL team are travelling together, they can share heathy scratches. Like last year when Goloubef spent the first 20 games not playing for wither team, instead he'd be an every night player for the AHL. squad unless the big club needed him. In essence, the nhl team would have a 20 man roster with no extras because the entire AHL club would be available.

Not sure the NHLPA will allow NHL clubs to drop a couple spots of their NHL rosters. That’s the difference between a few $95G salaries and a few $700 000+ salaries. Probably a happy ground somewhere in the middle ... but the capped out teams won’t like paying even half an extra ELC.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Not all the ahl players are under contract with the nhl club and most ahl teams aren’t owned by the nhl team like Ottawa’s is. This won’t work.

What difference does it make contractually if Belleville relocates for one or more seasons to Ottawa? AHL teams relocate all the time, it isn't like players are let out of their contracts because of it.

If everything contractually promised to the AHL players is given to them (Pay, travel, living accommodations, etc) what difference does it make if they relocate to a different city for one season? If anything, it would end up being an improvement travel wise if they have a schedule that mirrors the NHL team, and thus get to travel with them.

The entire idea would be that AHL teams would temporarily relocate to their parent clubs city, since there would be no live AHL gates anyways, it isn't like it matters. While they'd have to get union approval, I doubt that would be difficult to do. The issues wouldn't be between the players, it would be between the AHL owners and NHL owners. They'd have to come to a fair agreement about how it would all be handled.

Everybody involved from the NHL, NHLPA, PHPA, AHL, franchise owners, etc, would have have incentive to make something work. Especially if the NHL opts to go to a series based schedule to reduce travel, having farm teams travel with parent clubs and mirror their schedule would be extremely efficient.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

The NHL and NHLPA would probably want some sort of rule to avoid that sort of funny business.

Not just from the perspective of the NHLPA. A cap ceiling team could then run with 20 players with the only consequence being they might have to put some extra players through waivers at the end of training camp.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think we're getting 1st overall, and everybody but a select few will hate the trade. Probably 3+5 for 1. Push for the highly marketable French Canadian superstar.

Cirelli from Tampa will be our projected 1st line C with the NYI pick++. Tierney is moved to where ever.

Then we'll weaponize our cap space by acquiring Derek Stepan @ 1M base salary from the Coyotes. Maybe we go after a low salary goalie as well like Frederik Andersen if Toronto wants to part with him.

This franchise is in dire straights if they start operating based on having a marketable french Canadian superstar

Reactions: guyzeur and ijif

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
This franchise is in dire straights if they start operating based on having a marketable french Canadian superstar
Agreed. I'm hoping Montreal wind up with the first pick because there's no chance of them dealing it to the Sens. I'm worried that Melnyk may have instructed Dorion to obtain the top pick regardless of cost.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Agreed. I'm hoping Montreal wind up with the first pick because there's no chance of them dealing it to the Sens. I'm worried that Melnyk may have instructed Dorion to obtain the top pick regardless of cost.

its funny because the one time the fanbase is generally happy with what is happening we might get this...

do not get me wrong, getting laf is a win but at what cost

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the Sens are quite happy with two picks in the top 5 & I doubt they do anything to change that. I'm still of the opinion that with the players ranked where they are that Ottawa will come away with two players who could turn into NHL stars rather than just one player even though he is ranked as the best player in this draft. Especially given the fact that they need more quality players in a number of positions to accelerate this rebuild.

L. Brown - 28 pts in 25 games
Norris - 61 pts in 56 games

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty much a similar trajectory? I guess we could argue that Brown seems to have injury problems or Norris scores more goals while Brown clearly is a better playmaker. Wouldn't it be to the Sens advantage to keep both players as top 9 players on this team? Place Brown with goal scorers & Norris on a line with a playmaker.

Unless someone better comes along to take their place I don't see anyone else in this organization that have that potential especially at centre. And even if they do the team could just drop these guys a line & it would improve the bottom six & the team as a whole.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think the Sens are quite happy with two picks in the top 5 & I doubt they do anything to change that. I'm still of the opinion that with the players ranked where they are that Ottawa will come away with two players who could turn into NHL stars rather than just one player even though he is ranked as the best player in this draft. Especially given the fact that they need more quality players in a number of positions to accelerate this rebuild.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty much a similar trajectory? I guess we could argue that Brown seems to have injury problems or Norris scores more goals while Brown clearly is a better playmaker. Wouldn't it be to the Sens advantage to keep both players as top 9 players on this team? Place Brown with goal scorers & Norris on a line with a playmaker.

Unless someone better comes along to take their place I don't see anyone else in this organization that have that potential especially at centre. And even if they do the team could just drop these guys a line & it would improve the bottom six & the team as a whole.

Ya ... I’d much rather draft 3 and 5 or trade to draft 2 and 3 than trade to draft 1OA unless it somehow involved us keeping 3 or 5... which I doubt it would.

Reactions: aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Brown is a year older so it would be more fitting to compare his 2018-19 AHL season to Norris's 2019-20 season:

Brown: 56 GP - 14 G - 28 A - 42 P - 0.75 PPG
Norris: 56 GP - 31 G - 30 A - 61 P - 1.09 PPG

Norris's season was significantly better in every area. He's better in his own end too. He was surprisingly awesome in his rookie AHL season.

In addition to that Norris is a much faster player. I don't mean foot speed necessarily; he does every thing quicker and makes plays at full speed much better than Brown. Brown has always stopped skating when he starts looking to make plays. He still needs to work on keeping his feet moving white he uses his top notch vision and hands. Norris does that well even if he doesn't have Brown's vision.

Reactions: NB613 and thinkwild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad