Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Galchenyuk on a 1-2 year deal has minimal risk for this team that’s basement caliber.

I'd give him a shot for sure. Very talented player, not great defensively and inconsistent. A bit like Duclair.

Not afraid to go in dirty areas, nasty shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is our year to become the leafs on paper if we want to. Just need to sign Taylor Hall.

Hall(1oa via UFA) = Tavares (1oa via UFA)
Laff(1oa) = Matthews(1oa)
Stutzle(4oa) = Marner (4oa)
Tkatchuk(famous dad) = Nylander(famous dad)
Duclair= Kapanen

Chabot = Reilly

They still have Barrie and Andersen, but the rest of our prospect pool is better and way deeper.

We're a lot closer to competing than a lot of people think.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
This is our year to become the leafs on paper if we want to. Just need to sign Taylor Hall.

Duclair= Kapanen

Chabot = Reilly

They still have Barrie and Andersen, but the rest of our prospect pool is better and way deeper.

I would rather NOT be compared and setup like the Leafs to be honest.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Duclair= Kapanen

Chabot = Reilly

There is virtually no chance that Eugene will spend the money to sign any big name UFA.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
There is virtually no chance that Eugene will spend the money to sign any big name UFA.

Unfortunately. If that wasn't the case, Life of Alex Pie would have been the perfect signing to accelerate the rebuild (provided of course he also wanted to sign here). I think he re-ups with the Blues this summer.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Unfortunately. If that wasn't the case, Life of Alex Pie would have been the perfect signing to accelerate the rebuild (provided of course he also wanted to sign here). I think he re-ups with the Blues this summer.
Even if Covid-19 hadn’t decimated revenues, Melnyk’s track record is clear. With the current pandemic, anyone suggesting we sign big name UFA’s is dreaming in technicolor.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I’m anti UFA but he is one piece I could get my head around.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Duclair= Kapanen

Chabot = Reilly

We are not the Toronto Maple Dollars team. Spending to the cap is not contributing to Melnyk's wallet. Spending at the low end of the salary scale cuts Melnyk's costs.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Eug has said he'd spend to the cap and we were (apparently) willing to pony up $10M for Karl...money which never really got spent elsewhere....and you got Ryan coming off the books in two seasons....but even with that, I know I'm grasping at straws here.

Unless we decide we're a cap team, I don't see how we can responsibly shell out that kind of money for Hall (or why he would sign in our market even if we have the dough). Point was really just to show that if this draft goes well we're going to be close to a contender status pretty quickly.

Take out Hall and it still looks pretty good on paper. Maybe we'll hit big on one of our other picks/prospects, or perhaps our strong depth will cover the gap.

When you forecast out the roster and the salary room, I'm excited about where we're headed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd rather see Chlapik play.
You can see him play in Belleville, I'd rather build a roster that's going to win both now and in the future. Chlapik might end up marginally better than what Galchenyuk already is, but has nowhere near the upside. We have lots of Chlapik level prospects, can pick them up easily via other means, and will continue to draft guys with similar upside.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You can see him play in Belleville, I'd rather build a roster that's going to win both now and in the future. Chlapik might end up marginally better than what Galchenyuk already is, but has nowhere near the upside. We have lots of Chlapik level prospects, can pick them up easily via other means, and will continue to draft guys with similar upside.

Chlapik has played almost 150 games in the AHL. I think he's pretty much done with that league. As for your "win now and future" comment, why can't we win now and future with Chlapik? He's young enough that can still develop to *hopefully* like the *old* Gally (but unlikely), but I'd argue he *can* develop to something better than what Gally is now.

I don't know if you've watched Gally recently but don't think there is much of upside with this guy. He's trending in the wrong direction and could be playing himself out of a league. This is a perfect example of grass is always greener. I'd rather give the spot to a young guy to see what we got instead of hoping this guy puts it together after flaming out in MTL, ARZ, PIT and MIN.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chlapik has played almost 150 games in the AHL. I think he's pretty much done with that league. As for your "win now and future" comment, why can't we win now and future with Chlapik? He's young enough that can still develop to *hopefully* like the *old* Gally (but unlikely), but I'd argue he *can* develop to something better than what Gally is now.

I don't know if you've watched Gally recently but don't think there is much of upside with this guy. He's trending in the wrong direction and could be playing himself out of a league. This is a perfect example of grass is always greener. I'd rather give the spot to a young guy to see what we got instead of hoping this guy puts it together after flaming out in MTL, ARZ, PIT and MIN.

Chlapik is a bottom 6 guy at best imo. We can win with him, but we'll never win because of him. Galchenyuk already has a 30 goal season to his name, yes, he's inconsistent and is running out of time, but the skill is clearly there to be a top line player. That's something that can't really be said about Chlapik imo.

Personally, I don't think anything physical is stopping Galchenyuk from being the player he was in Mtl or better, it's all between his ears. This isn't like Subban where I think his back is finished or Semin who's wrists were done. Either way, I think there's a good opportunity to rehabilitate his value.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
if you can't rejuvenate your career in Pittsburgh with zero pressure to perform then it will be hard to do it elsewhere. I don't care much for Chlapik but would rather play him over a more expensive Galchenyuk

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think this team is in a position just yet to be wasting a ton of cash on UFAs or taking a chance on a player who is borderline & would not make a major impact. IMO they should just stay the course & see what they get from this next draft & where their prospects are in their development.

They seem to be building a pretty good prospect base & should improve on that over the next few drafts. They need to strengthen several positions of weakness in the org, but are certainly moving in the right direction. IMO they need a bigger, tougher defence core & a couple of consistent forward scorers to compete for a playoff position & after that the experience to compete for a cup.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chlapik plays a way more physical game than Galchenyuk would much rather have him on the team. Dont see any appeal to Galchenyuk at this point. Id rather see guys that want to play fight it out, competition breeds success. I think for the most part Chlapik doesnt get enough respect as a player in this organization. He actually produces with very little opportunity and can play in more than one role.

Chlapik is a bottom 6 guy at best imo. We can win with him, but we'll never win because of him. Galchenyuk already has a 30 goal season to his name, yes, he's inconsistent and is running out of time, but the skill is clearly there to be a top line player. That's something that can't really be said about Chlapik imo.

Personally, I don't think anything physical is stopping Galchenyuk from being the player he was in Mtl or better, it's all between his ears. This isn't like Subban where I think his back is finished or Semin who's wrists were done. Either way, I think there's a good opportunity to rehabilitate his value.

Dont think you are giving Chlapik nearly enough respect. You dont know if his game can evolve, he scored alot in jr just as much as Brown, more than Formenton. Hard to compare to college but he is a player thats in the mix and isnt very old.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Up until this year Galchenyuk averaged 52P/82GP the last 5YRs from age 21-25.

Not sure what happened to him this year but he's worth taking a flyer on. Could be another Duclair-type pickup.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chlapik plays a way more physical game than Galchenyuk would much rather have him on the team. Dont see any appeal to Galchenyuk at this point. Id rather see guys that want to play fight it out, competition breeds success. I think for the most part Chlapik doesnt get enough respect as a player in this organization. He actually produces with very little opportunity and can play in more than one role.

Dont think you are giving Chlapik nearly enough respect. You dont know if his game can evolve, he scored alot in jr just as much as Brown, more than Formenton. Hard to compare to college but he is a player thats in the mix and isnt very old.

Lots if people score in junior. Some continue to do so when they reach the AHL and then again when they hit the NHL. Chlapik hasn't really shown he's going to translate his junior offence to the next level, i don't really see that changing but i do see a guy that has adapted his game to give him a chance as a bottom 6 guy. If you disagree, thats cool, i just don't see that it factor that will get him higher up the lineup.

On the flip side, both Brown and Formenton have done worlds more in the AHL to show they could translate their offence to the next level. Again, just my opinion, i might be wrong about all this, i just like their chances a lot better, and frankly of them i only see Brown as having a good shot as a top 6 guy.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Up until this year Galchenyuk averaged 52P/82GP the last 5YRs from age 21-25.

Not sure what happened to him this year but he's worth taking a flyer on. Could be another Duclair-type pickup.
I like it. What do you expect he'd sign for?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Seeing what we got in Chlapik (or some other young player) > Hoping and praying Gally comes back to being 30 goal scorer

I'd go with something more tangible than a prayer.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
if you can't rejuvenate your career in Pittsburgh with zero pressure to perform then it will be hard to do it elsewhere. I don't care much for Chlapik but would rather play him over a more expensive Galchenyuk

He didn't have to rejuvenate his career in Pittsburgh. He was a disappointment in that he never developed into the star forward he has the talent to be, but he produced like a 2nd line forward for 5 years straight before going to Pittsburgh, and then who knows what happened. I know Sullivan's system is built around speed, so maybe that's why it didn't work out well.

Duclair had 3 bad seasons before we took a gambleon him, while Galchenyuk has just had 1. Put up 0.5 PPG in his short stint in Minnesota before the season ended too. He'd be a smart buy-low acquisition.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seeing what we got in Chlapik (or some other young player) > Hoping and praying Gally comes back to being 30 goal scorer

I'd go with something more tangible than a prayer.

I'm not praying Galchenyuk returns to being a 30g player, but I'm also not going to define him based on one season. He put up 19 goals and 41 pts in Arizona, that's about a 22g 47 pts pace just one year ago. In an admittedly small sample with the wild, he put up a 17 g 41 pts pace after being traded.

I think him rebounding into a 20 goal 50 pts 2nd line player is realistic and more likely than Chlapik doing the same at any point in his career. Chlapik hasn't even shown the tangible ability to hit Galchenyuk's disappointing 24 pts in 59 games season in terms of raw production, though admittedly he provides a more well rounded game.

To me, this is very much the same as taking the high ceiling player in the draft vs going for the safe pick. Personally, I'm not a fan of the safe picks with limited upside. There are lots of other opportunities and avenues to find those guys.

I like it. What do you expect he'd sign for?
Honestly with what's currently going on, no clue. All the comparables really are meaningless, but there's a decent chance he's a guy that will come cheap if the opportunity is right.

Obviously nobody is suggesting we commit term to him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lots if people score in junior. Some continue to do so when they reach the AHL and then again when they hit the NHL. Chlapik hasn't really shown he's going to translate his junior offence to the next level, i don't really see that changing but i do see a guy that has adapted his game to give him a chance as a bottom 6 guy. If you disagree, thats cool, i just don't see that it factor that will get him higher up the lineup.

On the flip side, both Brown and Formenton have done worlds more in the AHL to show they could translate their offence to the next level. Again, just my opinion, i might be wrong about all this, i just like their chances a lot better, and frankly of them i only see Brown as having a good shot as a top 6 guy.

Chlapik has been up and down so much that I think its been pretty challenging for him to produce, he is never in a rhythm with the same line. His production was pretty decent this year despite coming up and down. I dont think he is going to be a scorer at the NHL level but he is bigger and plays a heavy game so i guess we agree on that front, he has showed an edge id like to see more of it. I dont see why he shouldnt still get an opportunity here while alot of similar level prospects get more of an opportunity. He was a second round pick who has developed well since his draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad