Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just curious which package you fans would prefer:

Quinton Byfield
Tim Stutzle (consensus #3 at the moment)

or

Quinton Byfield
Matt Dumba
Adam Beckman
11th Pick

We're probably the last team that should look at a quality for quantity deal.

Having said that, that's a very tempting deal. Beckman is a stud and while I've never been sold on Dumba55, his shooting ability is what we're missing on our PP.

Stutzle/Raymond or Quinn/Lundell, Dumba and Beckman? Tough call.

Reactions: NB613

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Having said that, that's a very tempting deal. Beckman is a stud and while I've never been sold on Dumba55, his shooting ability is what we're missing on our PP.

Personally I would make the deal. The deal is also a lot easier to make if we get #1 and 3/4 as the combination since laf will most likely have a more immediate impact and could single handedly accelerate the rebuild

However objectively if we do end up with 2 and 3 i would most likely want another piece just because we might not get enough years out of dumba when we are actually turning it around so would need added incentive to make the deal

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

It’s one of those frustrating ones; we did quantity over quality with EK65 and is that really paying off? I’d rather just take the 2 good players.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Id think long and hard about that one to be honest. If the sens have pick number 2 already it would be tough to turn down. Its not impossible that who they pick at 11 is better than who is picked at 3. One of Quinn, Sanderson, Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti or Lundell will be there at 11.

Whats the scouting report on Beckman? He was having a heck of a season has good size, hows his skating? I honestly dont know alot about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dumba has 3 years left to UFA.. He could end up being another 1st then. I like Beckman. The 11th could be someone like Quinn. Adding 2 goal scorers like Beckman and Quinn along with Stutzle and upgrading the D. Count me in on that.
I don't see the Wild actually offering this.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dumba has 3 years left to UFA.. He could end up being another 1st then. I like Beckman. The 11th could be someone like Quinn. Adding 2 goal scorers like Beckman and Quinn along with Stutzle and upgrading the D. Count me in on that.
I don't see the Wild actually offering this.
The original proposal actually had us getting Byfield not Stutzle. Wild fans were after the #3 pick, though i suppose we could take Stuzle and they'd be fine with Byfield.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think it probably says something about Dumba and his contract that wild fans are throwing his name out for this.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I think it probably says something about Dumba and his contract that wild fans are throwing his name out for this.

True. Looking at his statistical progression the past few years, injury would seem to be the primary concern. I also expect a lot of their fans are overblowing his struggles this year since their team is terrible and he's one of the key pieces.

My guess is that there are plenty of uncritical fans who just think he sucks and want him gone, but more intelligent fans realize that they're still early in the teardown phase of their rebuild and know with his contract his value is higher to a team closer to competing, and they want to get a potential long term franchise building block in the top three.

Obviously we'd want to have him medically evaluated, but he's gonna have a lot of extra time to get back to full strength this summer. I still think it would be worth the risk just to move back from 3 to 11 plus get a solid prospect like Beckman. There are still going to be potential all-stars available at 11.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
True. Looking at his statistical progression the past few years, injury would seem to be the primary concern. I also expect a lot of their fans are overblowing his struggles this year since their team is terrible and he's one of the key pieces.

My guess is that there are plenty of uncritical fans who just think he sucks and want him gone, but more intelligent fans realize that they're still early in the teardown phase of their rebuild and know with his contract his value is higher to a team closer to competing, and they want to get a potential long term franchise building block in the top three.

Obviously we'd want to have him medically evaluated, but he's gonna have a lot of extra time to get back to full strength this summer. I still think it would be worth the risk just to move back from 3 to 11 plus get a solid prospect like Beckman. There are still going to be potential all-stars available at 11.
Or he turns into a boat anchor at 6M while Stutzle turns into a franchise player.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Or he turns into a boat anchor at 6M while Stutzle turns into a franchise player.

Or Stuetzle is never fully able to translate and ends up a 65 point player, Dumba is a stud on a very solid contract for three years, we pick someone like Mercer or Quinn at 11 who turn out to be similar quality to Stuetzle, and Beckman develops into a solid top nine forward or trade chip.

More probably the outcome is somewhere in between the two extremes.

It would take a collaborative effort between pro and amateur scouting staffs to balance the odds. I'm always in favor of exploring every option to improve the team, and generally in favor of an established NHL impact players vs. a possible chance at one down the road.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I don't see why we would trade such a high pick for a guy who's currently under performing a big contract. I don't follow Minny enough to speak to his play, so I could be way off base. But on paper those stats and that contract throw up some big warning signs.

Beckman has some gaudy numbers, but big junior stats don't always predict NHL success. Three down to 11 is just too big a drop. Hard pass for me.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dumba currently represents negative value - he’s a lottery pick/coin toss whether he fails or meets his contract.

That’s not the type of player (short contract, risky) I’m looking to give up our highest pick in a decade.

How about Dumba for White.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't see why we would trade such a high pick for a guy who's currently under performing a big contract. I don't follow Minny enough to speak to his play, so I could be way off base. But on paper those stats and that contract throw up some big warning signs.

Beckman has some gaudy numbers, but big junior stats don't always predict NHL success. Three down to 11 is just too big a drop. Hard pass for me.

If Beckman was born later in the year and was eligible for 2020 after a 107P/63GP season, he probably would be projected to go somewhere between 10-20 at least.

Two 10-20 picks and a young potential top 4 D for the 3rd OVR is definitely worth considering.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If Beckman was born later in the year and was eligible for 2020 after a 107P/63GP season, he probably would be projected to go somewhere between 10-20 at least.

Two 10-20 picks and a young potential top 4 D for the 3rd OVR is definitely worth considering.
You might be right. I've never seen Beckman play and he doesn't have the draft pedigree so I'm hesitant. Hard to say if he's Mark Stone or Shane Prince.

Reactions: Sweatred

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I think I would pass on the Wild deal. It is pretty close in value, but I see no reason for us to make a pretty close in value deal.

I think we should be the team creating a package to acquire a strong asset. I'm not the biggest fan of Logan Brown or Lassi Thomson, so I think I would try to package those two and the Islanders first for something. It would be nice to get a good young defender or forward. It has been discussed, but Sergachev would be a good target in my opinion.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm not against moving back in the draft, I just want really amazing value.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am sorry, but if the Sens have 2 and 3, they should pick at 2 and 3.

Going from 3 to 11 is way to far for my liking for a unknown prospect and a guy who is going to f***ing walk in 3 years.

Would rather have the two cost controlled top 5 picks at 2 and 3 rather than a ufa that will just bolt as fast as possible (not to mention the fact that the Sens have no use for him), a 3rd round prospect and a 11th round pick.

This team has a chance to kick start their rebuild in good way. Making a crap trade like that is the last thing this team should do.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think the only first round pick that could be on the table in a trade, is the Islanders one.

But not sure if I'd move it for Dumba. I haven't seen the Wild play much, but a team that underachieve is always a red flag when it comes to trading for their players.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think I would pass on the Wild deal. It is pretty close in value, but I see no reason for us to make a pretty close in value deal.

I think we should be the team creating a package to acquire a strong asset. I'm not the biggest fan of Logan Brown or Lassi Thomson, so I think I would try to package those two and the Islanders first for something. It would be nice to get a good young defender or forward. It has been discussed, but Sergachev would be a good target in my opinion.
I really want to keep Brown, and think we could put together a good package without him, and take advantage of a contending team with cap troubles like STL. I know Brown is from there and could be a piece to give them, but I'm really high on him and think he's gonna become a 1C with the right wingers.

If the cap is between 75 and 80 million, and the Blues extend Pietrangelo to an 8-year 9M deal, we need to attack Parayko. They'd have Pietrangelo and Faulk locked up on the right side for a while. Dunn and Scandella on the left.

Parayko is entering his prime and would be the perfect compliment to Chabot or Brannstrom.

RHD Parayko (2x5.5)
G Allen (1x4.35)

For

RHD Lassi Thomson (19th overall in 2019)
G Anders Nilsson @ 50% retained (1x1.3)
LW Rudolfs Balcers (RFA, sub-million AAV)
NYI 1st (15th overall)
NYI 2nd (46th overall)

STL gets 15th and 46th overall on top of a likely top 4 replacement in a couple years, a similar level goalie for a quarter of the cost, and a cheap NHL ready winger with top 6 upside.

More importantly, they would gain about 7.5M in cap space. Which they would need to afford Pietrangelo.

Ottawa also needs to add salary to hit the floor. Wonder if they'd CBO Zaitsev instead of Ryan but that's a different story.

The trade is lots to give up from Ottawa's POV, but I'd especially do it if we won 1st and 2nd/3rd overall. I think this is what the lineup looks like by the end of the year. Could surprise tbh. So much talent, but probably still a development year.

Lafreniere-L. Brown-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Stutzle
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Formenton-White-C. Brown

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Parayko
Wolanin-Boro

Hogberg
Allen

Extras:
Abramov
Paul
Chlapik
Hawryluk

Reilly
Jaros

JBD and Pinto would replace Zub/Boro and Tierney in 2021-2022.

LOL sorry for the novel I had to take my ADHD meds today hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: ijif

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Full disclosure from Wild fan - trade offers with Dumba and Brodin are not because they have low value but the opposite - they are the highest value piece that Wild have - in prime Dmen who could be top pairing on a different team.

Wild are desperate for a high talent center and are willing under Guerin to use its ammo stores to get one.

The point of a trade up to the 3rd pick would be to draft Rossi.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, using our cap space and roster space over the next year with respect to the cap and expansion draft are critical. Besides getting good comp for taking on some bad contracts if the cap drops, making a move to get a young player that a team might have to expose in the expansion draft also makes sense. Looking at players like William Karlsson, Alex Tuch and Shea Theodore get moved last time opens your eyes to how you can grab some young, NHL ready pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad