Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
When this team has had success, they had more or less two competent D pairs that can play huge minutes

Redden/ Other and the Phillips/ Volchenkov combo

Karlsson/ methot and Phaneuf/ Ceci

On other teams:

Josi/Ellis and Ekholm/ Fabbro
Suter/Spurgeon and Dumba/ Brodin
Hedman/ Cernak and McDonagh/ Serg/ Cobourn

Adding Serg is a no brainer if we can exchange one of brann/ wolanin whose place he'll take
We always had a nice blend of skill and grit...The skill I think we are close,but we do need some bite to complement the skill...Boston,s blueline is one that looks to have that blend,they have size/grit and skill..Hopefully we can find a top 4 defensive hammer or 2

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Brown, Tierney, and Duclair are all fine to stay medium or long-term on reasonable deals.

Duclair is obviously pretty "boom-bust". If he can recapture any of the promise of his early career or the first 1/2 of his Ottawa season, he's a solid top-6 forward on a team with very few of them. He has to know this is the best opportunity for him. Even if a longish term deal at a discount is better than the alternatives. Every NHL player is one bad hit from losing their career. Yeah, I'm sure he'd prefer to be a UFA with a few more 20 goal season to cash-in, but the alternative is that he gets injured or never finds another good stretch of play to earn big money. Ottawa obviously doesn't want to give him term, but I think they should consider it at the right AAV if the coach/trainers are comfortable. Locking up a guy who can score 30 goals to a good deal with both term and dollars is every GM's dream. Especially one on a budget. Maybe he wants to "bet on himself", and I'm sure Ottawa will oblige him, but we can't be scared of retaining him either, we simply don't have the forward depth to keep shedding players.

Brown and Tierney meanwhile aren't amazing, but they're solid NHL players who can play in the top-9. Nothing special, and ideally you'd have them on your third line or as complementary pieces to better players, but as long as the term and AAV make sense they're good pieces because they can still produce with 3rd line minutes and limited line-mates.

Reactions: NB613

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Brown wanting to stay is excellent news.

With the financial apocalypse a lot of players will take security over dollars so it might be easier to reach a deal that will make both parties happy.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brown wanting to stay is excellent news.

With the financial apocalypse a lot of players will take security over dollars so it might be easier to reach a deal that will make both parties happy.
He could be the backbone of one the best 3rd lines in hockey if everything goes as planned...Say something like Form/White/Brown ,fast gritty hard on pucks and solid in all 3 zones

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He could be the backbone of one the best 3rd lines in hockey if everything goes as planned...Say something like Form/White/Brown ,fast gritty hard on pucks and solid in all 3 zones

I can't see this at anything less than $4x3 and probably $4x4+ ..... White may be the worst/softest 3rd line center in the league.

Sens have to be careful if they are going to start paying every 3RD line F $4million plus it will have to get averaged out at the top of the lineup somewhere.

Reactions: NB613

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I can't see this at anything less than $4x3 and probably $4x4+ ..... White may be the worst/softest 3rd line center in the league.
Yeah he needs to put on some size ,but he also isnt a lazy player on or off the ice...So I believe there is still hope for him,if after next season he has grown ,then for sure we need to look at finding a new home for him...Also I would be fine with Brown at 5 years and 4 mil ,he should be fine with that kind of term and we likely will have the room for him still in that time line

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah he needs to put on some size ,but he also isnt a lazy player on or off the ice...So I believe there is still hope for him,if after next season he has grown ,then for sure we need to look at finding a new home for him

Agreed. I'd be cautious referring to him as gritty/hard. It isn't really his style.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agreed. I'd be cautious referring to him as gritty/hard. It isn't really his style.
No but he did work pretty good along the boards,in his rookie season...And can provide some production ..Also we know Brown and Form dont mind the rough stuff,maybe they can rub off on him

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There is risk of it being the Ceci conundrum with Brown. We take a player and overplay them, which results in them being in a position to justify unrealistic contract demands.

I don't think it is a lock that he gets extended. We apparently made offers to Dzingel, Ceci, Pageau, etc. The trend seems to be that we make a below market value offer on a UFA (or close to UFA) player we want to keep, they turn down the contract, and get traded.

Obviously, Dzingel got less than we offered, and Ceci will get less, but based on their performance/usage at the time, the rumored offers (if true) were below market value.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No but he did work pretty good along the boards,in his rookie season...And can provide some production ..Also we know Brown and Form dont mind the rough stuff,maybe they can rub off on him

I would love to see him commit to become a good defensive center. He has 0.15GPG in the NHL but with his speed and defensive awareness I think he could play an effective roll on a good team as a 3/4C with players like Form and Brown. As things stand Paul, Hamyr, Form, Brown, Tierney are much more effective in those rolls. He would need challenge himself both gaining strength and physically engaging players on the ice. Unfortunately we have lost money as a motivating piece.

I would love to see Brown take $3x 4 or 5 but Im not sure that is realistic.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I would love to see him commit to become a good defensive center. He has 0.15GPG in the NHL but with his speed and defensive awareness I think he could play an effective roll on a good team as a 3/4C with players like Form and Brown. As things stand Paul, Hamyr, Form, Brown, Tierney are much more effective in those rolls. He would need challenge himself both gaining strength and physically engaging players on the ice. Unfortunately we have lost money as a motivating piece.

I would love to see Brown take $3x 4 or 5 but Im not sure that is realistic.
I do think we have the chance to be a very deep 4 line team that can overwhelm teams with speed and attacking style,but we need those elite top end guys..
Gaining 2 top 3 picks may be the tonic here,even if we miss out on Laf we would still have very solid LW depth...In Form,Duclair and Tkachuk along with others coming...
It the Center and RW positions I would like us to see gain at this draft,Bath is great but one more high end piece would be great..As for center we just need someone

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I do think we have the chance to be a very deep 4 line team that can overwhelm teams with speed and attacking style,but we need those elite top end guys..
Gaining 2 top 3 picks may be the tonic here,even if we miss out on Laf we would still have very solid LW depth...In Form,Duclair and Tkachuk along with others coming...
It the Center and RW positions I would like us to see gain at this draft,Bath is great but one more high end piece would be great..As for center we just need someone
Raymond and Holtz

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Yes - but paying them all will be a change. At $70 million the average player salary would be about $3.2... so every player in your bottom 6 making above that is taking away from your elite skill.

We have seen that you can’t just dump expensive 3-4th line players. Ryan and even White have become untradeable boat anchors.

I like Brown but I hope we extend him on a deal that can just him in the bottom 6 which is probably his place “soon”.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yes - but paying them all will be a change. At $70 million the average player salary would be about $3.2... so every player in your bottom 6 making above that is taking away from your elite skill.

We have seen that you can’t just dump expensive 3-4th line players. Ryan and even White have become untradeable boat anchors.

I like Brown but I hope we extend him on a deal that can just him in the bottom 6 which is probably his place “soon”.
Yep treading carefully ,is what we need to do...If they give Brown his money ,then it would seem likely he will be the core piece on that line,and will play with some younger players coming up the pipe..Until they either surpass him ,or end up being moved...Ryan for me is just money in the bank for hopefully an impact player we need to sign...And White does need to show more next season

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If we do extend Brown or Duclair, we should limit the term to 3 years, because that way it will be off the books before our two top picks from this upcoming draft end their ELC. It is possible, that if we draft 5/6, the ELCs will slide by 1-2 years, but it is also possible that if we get lucky and get high picks, that 1 or 2 of the players might be in the NHL right away.

2020/21 =
2021/22 = Tkachuk/Batherson/Brown
2022/23 = Brannstrom/Norris
2023/24 = OTT 1st/SJS 1st

If we really want to think outside the box, we should try to extend Batherson before the 2020/21 season begins. He's a guy who seems to take a bit to get going, but when he does excels in each league he has played in. If he is open to a mid-term extension, we might get him at a bargain by extending now. It probably isn't likely though, because teams/players usually don't do that sort of thing.

Other than Tkachuk, there is no guarantee each of those players will go long term or be in a big money position, but those are our best prospects who are the closest to being NHL ready.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If we do extend Brown or Duclair, we should limit the term to 3 years, because that way it will be off the books before our two top picks from this upcoming draft end their ELC. It is possible, that if we draft 5/6, the ELCs will slide by 1-2 years, but it is also possible that if we get lucky and get high picks, that 1 or 2 of the players might be in the NHL right away.

2020/21 =
2021/22 = Tkachuk/Batherson/Brown
2022/23 = Brannstrom/Norris
2023/24 = OTT 1st/SJS 1st

If we really want to think outside the box, we should try to extend Batherson before the 2020/21 season begins. He's a guy who seems to take a bit to get going, but when he does excels in each league he has played in. If he is open to a mid-term extension, we might get him at a bargain by extending now. It probably isn't likely though, because teams/players usually don't do that sort of thing.

Other than Tkachuk, there is no guarantee each of those players will go long term or be in a big money position, but those are our best prospects who are the closest to being NHL ready.
He really looked every bit the part as a younger top 6 forward starting to find his place,I was impressed by him in his last and what looks to be his final callup,more confident and aware

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That would potentially be an awesome 3rd line.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That would potentially be an awesome 3rd line.
Could even keep a burner like Duclair down there ,and move Form up....Even without Laf I think we have very good depth at LW ...But if we win Laf we sure as hell would be taking him ,as there is no one on the team with that much potential,we could just move one to make room lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad