Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He is paid 6.25 million in 2025. He would easily be worth more than that. Look at what centers have received as UFAs the last two or so years, under a cap at 81.5 million or less. There were very optimistic long term projections for the salary cap. That was the entire point of locking White down. They felt he would continue to improve, and the rise in the cap would make him more expensive. Both those things are irrelevant with Brown. 6.25 million would have likely been 3C money in 2025 if not for COVID-19 destroying HRR.

Here is an article from right before COVID-19 establishing that the salary cap could rise as high as 88 million in 2021....that is a projection from after White was signed, but still, GMs knew roughly where the cap was projecting to go.

NHL salary cap to be between $84-$88.2 million next season - Sportsnet.ca

There's a reason Pageau just got that contract from the Islanders. GMs were bullish on the cap.

Okay... I appreciate the dialogue and perspective. I feel like I am about $2 million short on his value each year - so ... I think he was worth about $2 this year and probably $4.25 at his peak. There is a grey zone between $1 and $5 million type players. Ennis was more valuable than a lot of $4+ type players this year. Anyway, always open to other perspectives.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
to add more context to this, I don't think that Brown is going to be asking for top line money, but some people have said they're hoping for $3-4 mill. you're crazy if you think he's gonna take a penny less than colin white
If that’s the case he likely won’t be here long term. White was signed to play top 6, Brown is a 3rd liner.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Colin White’s contract ranges from $4-6.25 million. I don’t think we are “overpaying him now” because we think he will be a steal at $6.25 down the road. That would suggest we see him as a $7-8 million type player and that’s just too much.

Every Senator worth 4x as much as White is going to want at least White money.
That’s a dumb concept. Wouldn’t they want Bobby Ryan contract if you want to play that game ?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think it will take $4+ to sign him but I don’t think we need to worry about protecting him. Losing Brown instead of another F or dman and getting out his $4 million wouldn't be terrible unless we are trying to shed White. Balcers or Abramov May have a decent year. So we lose Brown and $4 million but keep an emerging Balcers or goalie.
Like I said, it's a complication if he demands a NMC. Quite frankly I don't know if a player of his calibre can ask for a clause like that but he if really wants to stay here long term he probably wants some assurances that he's going to stay for the majority of the contract.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That’s a dumb concept. Wouldn’t they want Bobby Ryan contract if you want to play that game ?

Pretty sure every 10-15 pts healthy scratch candidate had their offers automatically increased to 5+ mil 7 year contracts after how the Clarkson UFA deal panned out, you don't remember that?

It's so stupid to assume that players who under perform on their contracts reset the market for future contracts. The market is set by what GMs are willing to pay, not by contracts deemed to be bad deals. Until all the gms around the league look at the White deal and say that's a great deal, he won't impact anyone's negotiations.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
wrt Brown, the actual comparables he might look to on the high end could be Coyle or Pageau, though they were both UFA and had more leverage,

Alternatively, Rust might be who we come back with as a comparable or perhaps Baertshi or Panik

I think at worst, he gets the equivalent of today's 3.5 to 4 x 3, and that would be a great deal for the team, more likely he's landing in the 4 to 5 range with more term though the whole pandemic probably pushes the number down, no telling what the market adjustments will look like.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Motivated by the main board. Let's put our balls on the table here.

BUFFALO ACQUIRES
2020 1st Overall Pick (Alexis Lafreniere)

OTTAWA ACQUIRES
Jack Eichel
Bobby Ryan

You finish your last bite of Hawaiian pizza. What do you tell Eugene?

What I think is “how fast can Raymond develop?”

Also, I pull the trigger for that deal if I can get Sergachev from TB.

Tkachuk-Eichel-Raymond
Toffoli-Tiereny-Duclair
Formenton-White-Batherson
Paul-Norris-Brown
Hawyrluk-Balcers

Chabot-Zaitsev
Sergachev-Jaros
Wolanin-Zub

Murray
Hogberg

I tried my best to make that team as good as possible with “realistic moves” if we get Serg and Eichel

Now, with you looking at that roster, how fast do you think it can compete, because Lord knows if we do that trade for Eichel, we gonna need to compete ASAP cause he is in his prime now.

If your answer is over 2 years then we are much better off with Lafreniere.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

---

BUFFALO ACQUIRES

OTTAWA ACQUIRES
Jack Eichel (Buffalo pays bonus, 52.5M salary remaining)
BUF takes Bobby Ryan (aka 15 million dollars)

It is basically 6 years of Eichel for (maybe) 7 to 11 years of Lafreniere. The 21.5 million Buffalo takes back via the signing bonus and Bobby Ryan helps make up for Ottawa losing out on Lafreniere's ELC where he'd make less than 4 million per season. So there is no "I like Eichel better but the ELC is too valuable" since the finances are mostly equalized.

---

If you're trying to trade for Eichel, it's some combo of assets including the Ott and SJ firsts, Chabot and Tkachuk. Like Eichel for the first pick and one of Chabot or Tkachuk. They definitely aren't taking Ryan back.

He's one of the top young players in the league, not quite McDavid but on par with Matthews. His contract is a relative bargain. It would take a lot. Buffalo would want a lot and teams would be stepping up with strong offers to get Eichel.

The reasoning behind Eichel wanting out is his supposed frustration with losing. Buffalo has been a fail but at least they've spent some money/tried to win. Ottawa isn't even serious about winning, so I doubt Eichel would want to play in Ottawa. It's going from bad to worse.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You are Pierre Dorion. You wake up fresh and early for the 2020 NHL draft. Your plate of left over Gabriel Pizza is shaken by your text notification. It is your buddy Eugene. He is telling you that him and the Pegula's are discussing a trade. He just wants your input before he pulls the trigger.

BUFFALO ACQUIRES

OTTAWA ACQUIRES
Jack Eichel (Buffalo pays bonus, 52.5M salary remaining)
BUF takes Bobby Ryan (aka 15 million dollars)

It is basically 6 years of Eichel for (maybe) 7 to 11 years of Lafreniere. The 21.5 million Buffalo takes back via the signing bonus and Bobby Ryan helps make up for Ottawa losing out on Lafreniere's ELC where he'd make less than 4 million per season. So there is no "I like Eichel better but the ELC is too valuable" since the finances are mostly equalized.

You finish your last bite of Hawaiian pizza. What do you tell Eugene?

I'd say no.

Eichel is a great player and all....but there's something about that kid I just don't like. I really can't picture him ever being the leader on a true contender.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I'd say no.

Eichel is a great player and all....but there's something about that kid I just don't like. I really can't picture him ever being the leader on a true contender.

I know exactly what you mean, but I think I sort of reserve a bit of judgement until I see Eichel with an actual good team. He's been dealt a shit hand in Buffalo, so I'm not surprised at all that he's frustrated. With all the the turnover and uncertainty there, it's commendable he's even stuck it out this long without asking to be moved.

Connor McDavid has shown moments in Edmonton where he's equally as frustrated as Eichel with the lack of forward progress by his team, yet there'd be no reservations with acquiring him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I know exactly what you mean, but I think I sort of reserve a bit of judgement until I see Eichel with an actual good team. He's been dealt a shit hand in Buffalo, so I'm not surprised at all that he's frustrated. With all the the turnover and uncertainty there, it's commendable he's even stuck it out this long without asking to be moved.

Connor McDavid has shown moments in Edmonton where he's equally as frustrated as Eichel with the lack of forward progress by his team, yet there'd be no reservations with acquiring him.

It's not really that. I get he's going to be frustrated on the ice with a bad team.

There's something about his game...something I just can't quite pinpoint. I get Duchene vibes with him. Like there's something in how he plays on the ice, that somehow, it'll never work with him as the guy on a team. With Duchene it was easy to see...he had blinders on and always tried to do everything himself. But with Eichel, the problem is much more subtle, that I just can't quite figure it out.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd say no.

Kinda like Spezza,great player and could rack up the points...But leadership and being able to pick up a team and drag it forward ...Just arent there

Reactions: aragorn

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's not really that. I get he's going to be frustrated on the ice with a bad team.

There's something about his game...something I just can't quite pinpoint. I get Duchene vibes with him. Like there's something in how he plays on the ice, that somehow, it'll never work with him as the guy on a team. With Duchene it was easy to see...he had blinders on and always tried to do everything himself. But with Eichel, the problem is much more subtle, that I just can't quite figure it out.
He is scared....

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What I think is “how fast can Raymond develop?”

Also, I pull the trigger for that deal if I can get Sergachev from TB.

Tkachuk-Eichel-Raymond
Toffoli-Tiereny-Duclair
Formenton-White-Batherson
Paul-Norris-Brown
Hawyrluk-Balcers

Chabot-Zaitsev
Sergachev-Jaros
Wolanin-Zub

Murray
Hogberg

I tried my best to make that team as good as possible with “realistic moves” if we get Serg and Eichel

Now, with you looking at that roster, how fast do you think it can compete, because Lord knows if we do that trade for Eichel, we gonna need to compete ASAP cause he is in his prime now.

If your answer is over 2 years then we are much better off with Lafreniere.

This roster (at the very least) arguably looks worse than what Buffalo has been missing the playoffs with for the last few years. I’d pass.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not a fan of Eichel he seems like a spoiled brat & would be detrimental to a team & Ottawa has had enough guys like that in the past, besides he would have to fight with Melnyk for air time. Ottawa just needs to wait until after the draft to see where they are & how they project the players they have & will get during this draft that can determine the future of this team. They have plenty of assets that they can move to upgrade positions where necessary & hopefully, add two good defencemen in next yr's draft too.

Reactions: Crosside

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Eichel would be an unreal add for every team, he’s in a tier with a guy like Matthews that is under the McDavid tier. He’s be the best Center we ever had pretty easily, aside from maybe 1 year of Yashin.

In saying that, no chance we are going to get him, and little/no chance he’d like being here.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Eichel would be an unreal add for every team, he’s in a tier with a guy like Matthews that is under the McDavid tier. He’s be the best Center we ever had pretty easily, aside from maybe 1 year of Yashin.

In saying that, no chance we are going to get him, and little/no chance he’d like being here.

I’m a big fan of Eichel, he’s probably my favourite player in the league right now.

But don’t you think it’s a bit premature to say that he’d instantly be the best center we ever had? Especially when you add « pretty easily » to your statement. He just put up his best pace with 78 points in 68 games. At the same age, Spezza put up 90 points in the same amount of games followed by 2 90+ point pace seasons.

I know Spezza had better linemates and played on a much better team, but it doesn’t seem fair to him and his amazing peak to claim that it’s not even close between him and Eichel at this point in Eichel’s career.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m a big fan of Eichel, he’s probably my favourite player in the league right now.

But don’t you think it’s a bit premature to say that he’d instantly be the best center we ever had? Especially when you add « pretty easily » to your statement. He just put up his best pace with 78 points in 68 games. At the same age, Spezza put up 90 points in the same amount of games followed by 2 90+ point seasons. I mean, with seasons of 90, 92 and 87 he finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the team, and never had the highest ppg on his line in any of the seasons. His line was the best in the league since 2000, pretty easily, of course of which he was a major part.

I know Spezza had better linemates and played on a much better team, but it doesn’t seem fair to him and his amazing peak to claim that it’s not even close between him and Eichel at this point in Eichel’s career.
Spezza had better line mates, played in highest scoring seasons in ages, had the better team. I mean, Spezza finished 2nd and 3rd o. The team in scoring in 2 of those years, and he never had the highest ppg in any. Having the best line in the past 20 years, of which he was a major part, helped immensely.

Spezza best season in his career was 2011-12 by a pretty large amount. That wS the best Spezza has ever played in the league.

It isn’t really close, in my opinion, as to who the better Center was.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Spezza, Heatley and Alfie all had their numbers boosted by playing together on the best line in the league.

Same thing is happening now with Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron.

Each one of those guys doesn't put up close to as many points playing beside lesser players as the driver of their line.

Eichel just put up a 94P/82GP pace largely by himself on a team that struggled to score goals. He's already a top 5 center in the league and would easily be the best center this team has ever had.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Spezza, Heatley and Alfie all had their numbers boosted by playing together on the best line in the league.

Same thing is happening now with Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron.

Each one of those guys doesn't put up close to as many points playing beside lesser players as the driver of their line.

Eichel just put up a 94P/82GP pace largely by himself on a team that struggled to score goals. He's already a top 5 center in the league and would easily be the best center this team has ever had.
Likely,but his mental fortitude doesnt scream leader...Without question he can rack up points and oozes skill,but can he be the one to do it when everybody expects him too ???

All I have ever heard from him is bitching about what he doesnt have and his frustration,maybe its him that needs to a mature a little more...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Spezza had better line mates, played in highest scoring seasons in ages, had the better team. I mean, Spezza finished 2nd and 3rd o. The team in scoring in 2 of those years, and he never had the highest ppg in any. Having the best line in the past 20 years, of which he was a major part, helped immensely.

Spezza best season in his career was 2011-12 by a pretty large amount. That wS the best Spezza has ever played in the league.

It isn’t really close, in my opinion, as to who the better Center was.

That’s just false though, he had the highest PPG of the pizza line in 05-06 and in 06-07.

Wasn’t last season an unusually high scoring season as well? If you project it to 82 games I’m pretty sure it’s similar to 06 and 07. Lots of players had uncharacteristically high paces last season.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That’s just false though, he had the highest PPG of the pizza line in 05-06 and in 06-07.

Wasn’t last season an unusually high scoring season as well? If you project it to 82 games I’m pretty sure it’s similar to 06 and 07. Lots of players had uncharacteristically high paces last season.
Correct I mental math’d incorrectly.

05-06 had a higher goal per game at 3.08 compared to 3.02 this year so very similar, while also having the highest pp opportunities and in NHL history which affected numbers at an even higher level, along with the 3rd highest pp goal numbers in NHL history, again which benefited the best offensive line in the past 20+ years.

Reactions: Sensinitis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad