Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
With the return that Pageau got could Tierney net us another first? Id like a first in the 2022 draft if possible, its a very good draft. They should really consider trading Tierney at this point.

I think Tierney could be a solid trade chip at the draft. We're set up well to move up and get the exact players we want with our all of our picks and other potential trade bait (Tierney, Duclair, Brown).

Who knows, maybe if Florida misses the playoffs, Barkov demands a trade an we can go all-in on an offer. We're certainly able to do something like that should the opportunity arise.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If we win one of the top 2 picks, we should legitimately try to put together a package of picks and prospects for the other top 2 pick. Pull a Burke and go all in on 2 cornerstone players. We have the draft capital now to pull something like that off.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Do we take Timashov off waivers to shore up Ottawa's lineup, or package him with Ennis to Edmonton?

We might want to keep contract room to pick up more players, D, for Belleville.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Tierney could be a solid trade chip at the draft. We're set up well to move up and get the exact players we want with our all of our picks and other potential trade bait (Tierney, Duclair, Brown).

Who knows, maybe if Florida misses the playoffs, Barkov demands a trade an we can go all-in on an offer. We're certainly able to do something like that should the opportunity arise.

Id do a 2022 2nd Puljujarvi + cap dump for Ennis and Tierney.

Reactions: Bileur

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
The opportunity cost is the cash that could have been used on a different deal. I have no way of knowing what opportunities were genuinely present to us in the off season to weaponize our cap space. I am also making an assumption that just like in past years, we have a finite amount of cash to spend, aka an internal budget.

The deal is a clear fail. We paid a high opportunity cost to pump and dump Namestnikov and failed to profit from it. We got some value out of having him on our roster for a majority of the season, that's not something I am disputing. I don't think that value makes up for the high opportunity cost.

We paid a high opportunity cost but you don't know what opportunities were presented in the off season? If there was a really great deal, I think the Sens would have taken it.

The Sens weaponizing cap space seems to have been limited by actual money they have to spend. IIRC, the Sens only took guys to dump on the LTIR. Guys they didn't have to find playing time for and most of the salary was covered by insurance. There was no indication were going to take on a deal on a Backes type player.

Instead, the Sens got a good player and they weren't committed to a salary beyond a season.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Do we take Timashov off waivers to shore up Ottawa's lineup, or package him with Ennis to Edmonton?

We might want to keep contract room to pick up more players, D, for Belleville.

I would take Timashov for sure. He's looked ok in the NHL unlike our scrubbies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So far...

Pageau Trade = A+
The return exceeded expectations. I'm shocked to see us actually get a 1st, let alone get a 1st from a team battling for a playoff spot rather than from a team locked into a playoff spot.

Demelo Trade = B
The return was exactly what I expected. I know that puts me in the minority. It helps that it is a bit of a higher 3rd. The return met expectations but did not exceed it.

Namestnikov Trade = D-
Given our budget, Namestnikov came at a large opportunity cost given what he cost on our books all year. We downgraded picks. We didn't get a return commiserate with what players of his caliber usually go for at the trade deadline. We downgraded the pick we originally gave up for him when we were the one doing the Rangers a favor by taking his cap off their books.

Nice analysis. I don’t feel the Names trade is as bad as most. I get the sense PD/DJ recognized early that the roster was short on skill. Batherson, Brown, and White all had the chance of carrying play coming out of camp and they all stumbled. I think we acquired Names because DJ desperately needed a NHL body to maintain a quality of play.

in the end we got a 4th and every team who we could have traded a 4th with would be a downgrade. I guess we could have got a third but it isn’t a “D-“ for me.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't know where to post this, but i have always wondered something.

What happens if a traded player refuses to go to the team he is traded to?

Does the team who gave away assets for him get their assets back?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we win one of the top 2 picks, we should legitimately try to put together a package of picks and prospects for the other top 2 pick. Pull a Burke and go all in on 2 cornerstone players. We have the draft capital now to pull something like that off.

And we have the current depth in our system to not be hindered by it.

Nonetheless, if we win one of the top 2 picks we are in spectacular position regardless. Winning a top 2 pick would be big.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think Tierney gets anywhere close to the Pageau return, but I could be wrong. I didn't even think Pageau would get the Pageau return we got...

It doesn't mean we shouldn't listen on him now. If we aren't intending to sign him long term, his value is probably at it's highest right now because he's not just a rental like he will be next season.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I don't think Tierney gets anywhere close to the Pageau return, but I could be wrong. I didn't even think Pageau would get the Pageau return we got...

It doesn't mean we shouldn't listen on him now. If we aren't intending to sign him long term, his value is probably at it's highest right now because he's not just a rental like he will be next season.

Probably not, but shop him hard, if someone offers something of value, then you bite. If not, sign him to a 1-2 year contract and rinse/repeat in a year or two for the next NHL boxing day deal.

No point trading him away for a 4th when we're already stacked in picks for the next two years and we have him cost-controlled as RFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad