Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Great deal on Pageau though! Huge return. 1st, 2nd and 3rd!

Have to give props to Dorion on that one, if that indeed ends up being the deal.

Reactions: Tremblay31

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
When one team will likely be picking in the top 5, the other probably in the bottom 5, it does.

By your logic, there's no difference between a 4th and a 5th. Or between a 3rd and a 4th.
Yes, I would say there's very little difference between a 4th and 5th and the stats prove that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You are completely wrong lmao

Toffoli has better offensive numbers both points and goal scoring which is a premium

He also has two cups. Pageau being a centre might help his value but I take tyler if I'm looking for offense

Who is completely wrong again?.....

I don't understand why certain things that need to be continuously explained here

Coleman has term and a MUCH better cap hit. You can't compare term with a UFA contract.

On Hayes how did that turn out for the jets? They literally played him on a the 4th line in the playoffs and let him walk. Perhaps team are learning? Actually we know teams are learning cause they don't want to move 1st rounders for rentals unless they are really good

The bolder statement is the issue. Ottawa fans seem to think that the rest of the league considers him an elite shutdown guy. He is good defensively but he’s no O’Reilly, Barkov, Couturier, etc...

1st, 2nd conditional 3rd. HMMMM

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Isn’t that what we paid ?
We paid an Ottawa 4th so 92-95 is, and got a Colorado 4th, so 120ish?

Not much of a difference in value by the 4th round, but still a touch disappointing given I would argue he seemed to prove he was still a usefull player when given the chance here.

Reactions: bert and GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We don’t know the 2021 standings yet, unless you are Biff.
Fair point and solid reference.

That said, Colorado will almost certainly be ahead of us in the standings next year.

I wasn't expecting much for Names, and frankly, even if we got a 3rd that's not a huge difference in value when compared to a 4th. Not worth worrying about.

Reactions: bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You seem to be very good at predicting good teams being bad do you see Colorado having a terrible season next year?
Nope. Unfortunately I think they are going to be good for a while. So young, so talented and boatloads of cap space.

Reactions: bert

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So far...

Pageau Trade = A+
The return exceeded expectations. I'm shocked to see us actually get a 1st, let alone get a 1st from a team battling for a playoff spot rather than from a team locked into a playoff spot.

Demelo Trade = B
The return was exactly what I expected. I know that puts me in the minority. It helps that it is a bit of a higher 3rd. The return met expectations but did not exceed it.

Namestnikov Trade = D-
Given our budget, Namestnikov came at a large opportunity cost given what he cost on our books all year. We downgraded picks. We didn't get a return commiserate with what players of his caliber usually go for at the trade deadline. We downgraded the pick we originally gave up for him when we were the one doing the Rangers a favor by taking his cap off their books.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Does anyone feel Col moving for a goalie. Something big like Henrik or Lehner/Crawford.

Also I’m surprised I haven’t heard anything on Aaron Dell.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
So far...

Namestnikov Trade = D-
Given our budget, Namestnikov came at a large opportunity cost given what he cost on our books all year. We downgraded picks. We didn't get a return commiserate with what players of his caliber usually go for at the trade deadline. We downgraded the pick we originally gave up for him when we were the one doing the Rangers a favor by taking his cap off their books.

What opportunity cost? Who did the Sens miss out on? They weren't taking on a long term salary or spending more. They had nothing to trade. They didn't miss out on anything and were lucky the Rangers wanted to move Namestnikov out.

The Sens have very little money and no one to give what little money they have to.

They got an NHL quality player for a year at the cost of a 4th. They also moved a guy who was making decent coin for an AHL guy. It was an ok deal.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
you said it was like a waiver pickup!

it wasn't… would you move 20 spots down in the draft for no reason?

Eh,

By the time the 3rd Rd passes, everyone's draft list is completely different, so I see can see where people are indifferent to 20 ish picks difference.
No guarantee we even have that pick come 2021, could be moved/packaged/flipped etc.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With the return that Pageau got could Tierney net us another first? Id like a first in the 2022 draft if possible, its a very good draft. They should really consider trading Tierney at this point.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What opportunity cost? Who did the Sens miss out on? They weren't taking on a long term salary or spending more. They had nothing to trade. They didn't miss out on anything and were lucky the Rangers wanted to move Namestnikov out.

The Sens have very little money and no one to give what little money they have to.

They got an NHL quality player for a year at the cost of a 4th. They also moved a guy who was making decent coin for an AHL guy. It was an ok deal.

The opportunity cost is the cash that could have been used on a different deal. I have no way of knowing what opportunities were genuinely present to us in the off season to weaponize our cap space. I am also making an assumption that just like in past years, we have a finite amount of cash to spend, aka an internal budget.

The deal is a clear fail. We paid a high opportunity cost to pump and dump Namestnikov and failed to profit from it. We got some value out of having him on our roster for a majority of the season, that's not something I am disputing. I don't think that value makes up for the high opportunity cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad