Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
i think the rantenen injury takes Colorado out of any pageau sweepstakes. theyre not gonna go all in with two of their top 6 forwards out.

I think it is actually the opposite. Colorado may feel more pressure now to get s player like Pageau to help maintain their playoff position in a tough Western Conference. Initial reports have Kadri and Rantanen coming back for the playoffs, then you have Pageau drop back in role but provide great depth if everyone is healthy. Playoff teams can never have enough faceoff skills and great penalty killing, and guys you can trust late in a tight guy. Add to that, the legendary way Pageau has seemed to raise his game in the playoffs. If I'm Dorion, I just keep sending the GMs in COL, NYI, CAL, EDM (and anyone else interested) video highlights of Pageau's playoff heroics every morning.

Reactions: bert

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think what I'm worried about with Pierre is another last minute decision like Stone. For whatever reason he thinks these things happen "fast" but most of the teams getting good deals done are completing them well before the deadline.

At this point, the market for Pageau is getting smaller and smaller. I don't think the Toffoli deal really helped our case for a 1st either.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think what I'm worried about with Pierre is another last minute decision like Stone. For whatever reason he thinks these things happen "fast" but most of the teams getting good deals done are completing them well before the deadline.

At this point, the market for Pageau is getting smaller and smaller. I don't think the Toffoli deal really helped our case for a 1st either.
If we get back a prospect like Madden plus a 2nd, I'd be pretty happy.

Reactions: bert and Silencio

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I still think Pageau ends up in Boston. They had a first hand look at him in the playoffs in 2017, and will want to go all in after their Game 7 choke last year.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

I would bet all my SB cash this Pierre Dorion is different than last year. I think Melnyk is not as much in his flowerbeds this year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Given what Coleman and Zucker returned for having control I hope to god that Dorion is shopping Tierney.

We should be shopping Tierney, but there is a distinction between he and then. While Tierney has team control, he is not cost controlled. Next season, he is an RFA who is arbitration eligible. Meaning, a team acquiring him won't have full control over his 20-21 salary without an immediate extension.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We should be shopping Tierney, but there is a distinction between he and then. While Tierney has team control, he is not cost controlled. Next season, he is an RFA who is arbitration eligible. Meaning, a team acquiring him won't have full control over his 20-21 salary without an immediate extension.

Plus Zucker and Coleman are much better players.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think Melnyk is not as much in his flowerbeds this year.
Given the fact that Garrioch reported that Dorion went to Barbados to meet with him a few weeks back, I am willing to bet that Melnyk is more involved than you think. Maybe not as much as last year, but don't kid yourself, he is very much involved. Also, I am sure Melnyk is in town for tonight's game, so he will most definitely get his nose in there.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Coleman has 1 year left its a pretty similar situation their production is also pretty close this season. I am not expecting the same return but if he is getting that much id take half of what he was traded for, for Tierney.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Given the fact that Garrioch reported that Dorion went to Barbados to meet with him a few weeks back, I am willing to bet that Melnyk is more involved than you think. Maybe not as much as last year, but don't kid yourself, he is very much involved. Also, I am sure Melnyk is in town for tonight's game, so he will most definitely get his nose in there.
I imagine that meeting was about budget for next year. Dorion needs to know in order to figure out his offers to the UFAs want to keep.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Really hoping to see a move or two made real soon, fearing another case of backing yourself into a corner or further a delusional belief that some of these guys need to be re-signed for leadership/ veteran presence or whatever other nonsense one can come up with.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
No trades will be happening today because of retiring Phillips jersey, but Dorion better wake up starting tomorrow.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
With 3 games left until the trade deadline, it seems very risky not to scratch our two best assets in Pageau or Demelo. It doesn't have to mean we are going to move them. Most fans would understand the message of scratched until extended or moved.

I'm guessing this isn't a controversial opinion.

I think Demelo probably gets moved sooner. Garrioch says they are far apart, and we've seen Greene go for a 2021 2nd which might set the market at a 2020 3rd or 2021 2nd for a comparable defender.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Coleman is what, 3 years older though? Coleman's team friendly contract certainly provides added value for next season, and he's got an extra dimension that Tierney lacks for sure, but RFA vs soon to be UFA, 3 years younger, I think Coleman is playing wing vs Tierney playing center (Tierney had more faceoff wins last season than Coleman has in his entire career). There are definitely factors that go in Tierney's favour as well.

I also think Tierney is significantly more highly valued around the league than his is by Sens fans, but that's just me...

The big think in Coleman's favour is he neatly fits into a 3rd line role, while Tierney seems like a square peg in a round hole no matter where you place him in the top 9.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
With 3 games left until the trade deadline, it seems very risky not to scratch our two best assets in Pageau or Demelo. It doesn't have to mean we are going to move them. Most fans would understand the message of scratched until extended or moved.

I'm guessing this isn't a controversial opinion.

I think Demelo probably gets moved sooner. Garrioch says they are far apart, and we've seen Greene go for a 2021 2nd which might set the market at a 2020 3rd or 2021 2nd for a comparable defender.
I would like to see them both sat until they're dealt. Just the smart thing to do imo.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Stop reacting like a kid, the trade deadline is in 1 week, lots of time left.
remember when TDL was huge? Like actually tons of teams waited until deadline day to deal. The mid-late 2000's really.

There's so much time left. Last year Dorion traded Duchene on the Friday, Dzingel on Saturday and Stone on the Monday, 15 minutes before the deadline.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Coleman is what, 3 years older though? Coleman's team friendly contract certainly provides added value for next season, and he's got an extra dimension that Tierney lacks for sure, but RFA vs soon to be UFA, 3 years younger, I think Coleman is playing wing vs Tierney playing center (Tierney had more faceoff wins last season than Coleman has in his entire career). There are definitely factors that go in Tierney's favour as well.

I also think Tierney is significantly more highly valued around the league than his is by Sens fans, but that's just me...

The big think in Coleman's favour is he neatly fits into a 3rd line role, while Tierney seems like a square peg in a round hole no matter where you place him in the top 9.

I don't think age plays a big factor in those kind of trades. We are talking about players who will probably be short term acquisitions, and if extended Tierney is only going to get 3-4 years in term.

The Tampa trade is clear as day. They probably liked they player and know they can have him in their top 6 as a complimentary guy or their top 9 for 1.8 million. They paid big assets for a cheap cost controlled player. Tierney is not that cheap and is not cost controlled.

Tierney is more difficult to swing a trade like that because the team will have no idea what he will cost next season.

I agree now might be the best time to trade Tierney. Unless he has a breakout season next year, he will get us more this deadline. I don't think he will get us anywhere near what Coleman got New Jersey because the situations are completely different. Centers of Tierney's caliber who aren't rentals usually go for a 2nd+3rd or 2nd+2nd.

That Vancouver pick is huge. It has potential to be in the top 20 of the draft. There is a slight chance it could end up in the top 15 if Vancouver goes on a skid and misses the playoffs. We'll get nowhere near that kind of piece for Tierney, and cap strapped teams might think twice about acquiring him because if they qualify him in the summer they will have no control over what he makes due to arbitration. Coleman didn't have those hurdles, he was completely cost controlled. If Coleman was an arbitration eligible RFA, he wouldn't have returned anywhere close to what he did from Tampa.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Stop reacting like a kid, the trade deadline is in 1 week, lots of time left.

Lol.. he hasn't even talked to Pageau about an extension. Dorion has no clue what he's doing. He's not fit to be a general manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad