Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I mean, on principle, I'm absolutely ok with trading Stone and Duchene if we get massive returns.

We have three major hurdles to that though:

1) Rental market is volatile and teams are becoming more and more stingy about throwing picks around (excluding us...)
2) Melnyk
3) Dorion is a complete moron that is more likely to get struck by lightning than to make a big trade that is good.

Reactions: Deku and Liver King

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I mean if we can get a package like Tolvanen+1st+Roster player I'd be cautiously optimistic about that return.

But I fully believe we will regret trading our 1C. They are not easy to come by.. and most really good teams have 2 1C's..

Reactions: NB613

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Renaud Lavoie was reported as having said that he believes the Sens have a great offer on the table for Duchene but that they still want to sign him.

Lavoie is one of our better beat writers so I'm cautiously optimistic.

He is? What did he say about Stone

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Top end D / C prospects >>>>>> Wing prospects.

I like Tolvanen. I think he will score a lot of goals in the NHL, but I'd take Fabbro over him even though he's not as good imo. I think he will have more of an impact due to position.

Fabbro is probably NHL ready at seasons end, definitely by next year.

Extra bonus is he's a righty. He could steal minutes from Ceci aka reducing Ceci's minutes / making him even more expendable.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I mean if we can get a package like Tolvanen+1st+Roster player I'd be cautiously optimistic about that return.

But I fully believe we will regret trading our 1C. They are not easy to come by.. and most really good teams have 2 1C's..

Its ok we will be bad enough the next couple seasons to draft a couple of guys like that. Too bad we can't grab one this year.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
They’re all gone. Going to be a rough few years.

Fwiw I feel like signing Duchene over Stone is the better hockey move. But neither are going to sign.

Reactions: Crosside

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

I like Tolvanen. I think he will score a lot of goals in the NHL, but I'd take Fabbro over him even though he's not as good imo. I think he will have more of an impact due to position.

Extra bonus is he's a righty. He could steal minutes from Ceci aka reducing Ceci's minutes / making him even more expendable.

The problem with Fabbro is that he can choose to stay in the NCAA one more season and walk as a FA. We'd still get a compensatory second round pick if he walked, but there's a risk.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I generally agree but if we can land an A level goal scoring prospect like Tolvanen for one of our UFAs, I'm super down. I'd assume out next two 1st picks will be on top 5 type Cs or Ds. An elite level goal scorer is sorely missing from our pool and roster.

Reactions: Clayonator

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The problem with Fabbro is that he can choose to stay in the NCAA one more season and walk as a FA. We'd still get a compensatory second round pick if he walked, but there's a risk.

Yeah, there has to be some sort of protection against that. Maybe a conditional first added if he doesnt sign? Fabbro is worth more than a 20-31 pick though.

Maybe Ottawa could be allowed to ask him if he will sign once his season is done? Breaking in on the #2 d-core in the league is a significant hurdle.

Here, he would just have to beat freakin Harpur out for a roster spot, and steal ice from Ceci and Demelo. He would be the top RHD prospect in the system too with only JBD as competition.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I generally agree but if we can land an A level goal scoring prospect like Tolvanen for one of our UFAs, I'm super down. I'd assume out next two 1st picks will be on top 5 type Cs or Ds. An elite level goal scorer is sorely missing from our pool and roster.

That was my main concern considering there would be nobody to pass to Tolvanen with Duch / Stone gone.

I think its difficult to bet on the future lottery picks too. What if Ottawa gets Lafreniere next year? Their top 4 prospects would be non-playmaking wingers in Laf, Tkachuk, and Tolvanen and to a lesser extent, Batherson. Then you have an average defensive pipeline with only one significant center prospect who is a boom / bust guy.

Stacking your cupboard with wingers is how you turn into the Oilers (pre-McDavid)

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Apparantley the agents for Duchene and Stone/Dzingel were all at the game tonight.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Stacking your cupboard with wingers is how you turn into the Oilers (pre-McDavid)

I'd say management's complete inability to self-evaluate and ownership's blind trust were the real problems. Far more than the players they picked.

Last edited:

The Acccountant

Feb 3, 2019
What about Duchene for Tolvanen + Fabbro

Logic:
The pitch to Nashville is you keep your first and we take the risk of Fabbro not extending here. To compensate for our risk and you saving the first we need Tolvanen in.

It’s a big swing but the payoff could be good and it potentially works for both teams

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
What about Duchene for Tolvanen + Fabbro

Logic:
The pitch to Nashville is you keep your first and we take the risk of Fabbro not extending here. To compensate for our risk and you saving the first we need Tolvanen in.

It’s a big swing but the payoff could be good and it potentially works for both teams

For an unsigned Duchene? I'd do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad