Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Wild idea: Marner? We have tons of cap room, hes going to go for cheap, and could fit in on the wing.

I know his contract is long, but if we could get him for like Blackwood+Ferraro+Boudreau and mix in some picks/prospects?

Yes that likely isnt enough, but if the Leafs would take it.
Marner has a full NMC. He has one year left. Even if he doesn't block a trade to the Sharks, he leaves in free agency after maybe helping us improve to 60 points, unless we pay him something like $13.5M/8 - that to a now-28-year-old winger when we're still several years away from the playoffs. He would cost us a hell of a lot more than that - a 1st+.

Not only would it not happen, but it would be disastrous. Marner is too old and too expensive for us. No futures for players over 24.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wild idea: Marner? We have tons of cap room, hes going to go for cheap, and could fit in on the wing.

I know his contract is long, but if we could get him for like Blackwood+Ferraro+Boudreau and mix in some picks/prospects?

Yes that likely isnt enough, but if the Leafs would take it.
If we could get him for that sure but I have a hard time seeing Toronto letting him go for that.

I think the issue with Marner is we might as well have kept Timo at that point. We desperately need help at forward but I don’t think Marner is the answer to that.

Couple other fun things about him: he’s a FA after next year so if we had a retention spot I’d be all over it and then flip him as a rental at the deadline but we won’t have a retention spot. He does have a NMC so no way he’s waiving for here.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So how aggressive are we getting this summer now that we have a franchise center and a potential top end 2C (Smith)? Start changing the culture and use some cap space.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So how aggressive are we getting this summer now that we have a franchise center and a potential top end 2C (Smith)? Start changing the culture and use some cap space.
We have a (hopefully) future franchise center. Celebrini isn't a Bedard-level prospect who is going to step into the league and go near-PPG.

Right now, the hope is that we get players of the quality/profile of Nico Hischier and Mark Scheifele out of Celebrini and Smith. If we do, that's phenomenal, but it's most likely going to take a couple of years for them to get to that level. In the meantime, we remain awful and have little or no means by which to improve significantly in the short term.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
having Celebrini really helps attract FAs I’d imagine. Suddenly, we look like a team that’s starting to build a real contender, and maybe some younger FAs will gladly be overpaid to be a part of that (or older ones to be mentors…)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I want to be all sorts of aggressive. A bad team should look to remake a large majority of its roster especially when you're bringing in at least one new cornerstone piece. Reset the room as much as possible and then start to be a little more surgical in your changes.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
We have a (hopefully) future franchise center. Celebrini isn't a Bedard-level prospect who is going to step into the league and go near-PPG.

Right now, the hope is that we get players of the quality/profile of Nico Hischier and Mark Scheifele out of Celebrini and Smith. If we do, that's phenomenal, but it's most likely going to take a couple of years for them to get to that level. In the meantime, we remain awful and have little or no means by which to improve significantly in the short term.
Just going to say it now that I’m not doing this hedge on the side of pessimism nonsense this summer. Scouting reports and production tell a far greater story than hedging and playing wait and see games. If you have to wait and see on a #1 pick then you’re too late to the party to fully maximize their value while they’re cheap.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'm not going full GM mode and actually moving players that would need to be moved (e.g. Rutta, etc), but this is what a rough lineup could look like on CapFriendly. I previously had other FA D possibilities as Tyler Myers, Tyson Barrie, Alec Martinez... I'm not sure it's realistic to grab players like Skjei/Roy/Pesce.

Other notes: Required a Vlasic buyout. Still think Mukh gets the Leo Carlsson treatment and maybe we'd want some more forward depth to do the same for Graf, Smith, Musty, and even Macklin. Still pretty thin down in the Cuda as well. Very much an unfinished project.

But this was fun anyway. I still think we'll struggle, but this could be a bottom 5-10 team if the prospects grow up FAST. Otherwise it'll be a fun season but we're still a bottom 3 team. Grier could try to go real aggressive though, more aggressive than this.

1715126696755.png

• Wow

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I want to be all sorts of aggressive. A bad team should look to remake a large majority of its roster especially when you're bringing in at least one new cornerstone piece. Reset the room as much as possible and then start to be a little more surgical in your changes.
I liked Sheng’s idea of taking Faulk for basically free (or getting minor assets for taking his contract). I’d also like a veteran winger for Celebrini as a Clowe like figure. If you want to get aggressive, I also don’t hate the idea of Necas, though price tag is a major factor there. I’d also look at Farabee with the Boston connection if he’s truly wanting out of Philly still as rumors indicate.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I liked Sheng’s idea of taking Faulk for basically free (or getting minor assets for taking his contract). I’d also like a veteran winger for Celebrini as a Clowe like figure. If you want to get aggressive, I also don’t hate the idea of Necas, though price tag is a major factor there. I’d also look at Farabee with the Boston connection if he’s truly wanting out of Philly still as rumors indicate.
Mason Marchment maybe?

Reactions: landshark

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
having Celebrini really helps attract FAs I’d imagine. Suddenly, we look like a team that’s starting to build a real contender, and maybe some younger FAs will gladly be overpaid to be a part of that (or older ones to be mentors…)

Maybe. But it took 32 seasons for the Sharks to finally get the first overall pick. How many seasons until the Sharks sign an elite UFA in his prime with no previous connection to the team? I'm going to guess the offseason after the 64th season. lol (I know you didn't necessarily mean an elite UFA in his prime, but still worth noting in terms of the Sharks attracting free agents in their history.)

But who knows, maybe the Hockey Gods have thrown all the Sharks hate out the window. Maybe they've decided we've suffered enough. Maybe soon enough an elite UFA in his prime will actually sign with the Sharks, instead of conditioning it on being named Team Captain lol. (IYKYK)

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
They're far more stocked than Chicago already, so it will really be interesting to see what they do. If both Smith/Celebrini turn pro, there's no point being stingy and saving cap space with the thought of being bad again, but you also don't want to turn into Ottawa.

If Tampa doesn't want to keep Stamkos I really would throw the bank at him for a couple years, especially since they wanted him his last FA trip and even though it was different management, I'm sure that built some rapport. Add a defensemen or two, and still see what they could get with Goodrow from NYR if he's willing to waive. Gonna be a fun summer.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Mason Marchment maybe?
If available and not at a steep price, sure. Doesn’t have to be Marchment, but a power forward F1 type would be ideal to help out an 18 year old in the NHL. I love the all situation ability of a future Eklund-Celebrini tandem with their high end compete and hockey sense to go along with offensive skill, just a matter of finding the right RW with some size to go with them.

Would also look to bring in a guy like Martinook for the bottom 6. Real competitive guy that has been around winners and can instill practice habits and details similar to Kunin (except the winning stuff).

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
30-seconds predictions:
- Couture or Hertl misses major time with an injury
- Eklund gets 45 points, close to 20g
- Bordeleau gets some PP2 time and puts up reasonable numbers, but the rest of his game can't keep up
- By year end, Thrun and Muk are clearly our best D
- Barabanov nets the highest return at the deadline. Hoffman doesn't get traded due to lack of interest
- Sharks finish last by 7 points but get #2 in the lottery with Anaheim winning
Now that the year is officially over, it's time to check in on these 30-seconds predictions.

1. Dead on balls accurate - sorry
  2. Dead on balls accurate again
  3. Totally wrong about this one, in fact the opposite was true, and glad to be.
  4. This is a lame duck race but there's a reality where Thrun was our best D. Overall, this was wrong
  5. 50% right
  6. Dead on balls WRONG!!
I should have stuck to just 2 predictions lol

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Any shot we could get Pajama Boy for a year if Toronto asks him to leave?

I could see them shopping Tavares and/or Marner. They’d probably add an asset with minimum retention on Tavares too. They need to clear cap to add some real depth on defense and an actual goalie. Problem for them is that their entire core received NMC’s.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I think GMMG still prioritizes people who will help build the culture he wants and if that requires overpaying like crazy in the short term, then so be it

he may just throw like $24M-$32 at stamkos just to sell tickets and be a legit superstar mentor for celebrini

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Rewatching Grier's interview, he's a pretty cool cucumber but there seemed to be a LOT of relief there. It's possible with Celebrini that he just bought himself another year or two as a GM.

This summer is going to be FASCINATING. First of all, we need to know if Will and Celebrini are planning on turning pro. If they are, Grier has to throw around some money to sign some legit guys (god, I pray for Stamkos but I doubt it) to help them out. I'm dubious, but man, would it be nice if Couture actually recovered from his injury and could go play wing on Smith or Celebrini's line. I think he'd be a great influence.

I think if they do decide to both turn pro, Grier could be pretty aggressive and put together a really fun forward group. The question will be defense -- you want Celebrini to get the puck, for him to have the puck, you need to have defenseman who can... like... get it away from the opposing team and THEN pass it, which seems like a feat for our current group.

God, it's really fun thinking about the future when we've finally got our future 1C... shockingly exciting time to be a Shark's fan.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Rewatching Grier's interview, he's a pretty cool cucumber but there seemed to be a LOT of relief there. It's possible with Celebrini that he just bought himself another year or two as a GM.

This summer is going to be FASCINATING. First of all, we need to know if Will and Celebrini are planning on turning pro. If they are, Grier has to throw around some money to sign some legit guys (god, I pray for Stamkos but I doubt it) to help them out. I'm dubious, but man, would it be nice if Couture actually recovered from his injury and could go play wing on Smith or Celebrini's line. I think he'd be a great influence.

I think if they do decide to both turn pro, Grier could be pretty aggressive and put together a really fun forward group. The question will be defense -- you want Celebrini to get the puck, for him to have the puck, you need to have defenseman who can... like... get it away from the opposing team and THEN pass it, which seems like a feat for our current group.

God, it's really fun thinking about the future when we've finally got our future 1C... shockingly exciting time to be a Shark's fan.

I'd take defenseman who can get the puck away from opposing forwards or pass it, doesn't even need to be both.

Reactions: Jargon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad