Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Can someone explain to me this whole "conditional 1st if signs" condition in trades. Why even bother with this? To me this seems totally pointless, since who really cares if say Stone signs with who we trade him to or another team in the offseason. Why not scrap the condition and just get an additional guaranteed return in the trade instead?

I mean maybe getting like 25% odds (just throwing a random number out there) of a conditional 1st rounder beats having a guaranteed 2nd or 3rd thrown in if that's the alternative, that could make sense...I just don't really get why it's almost assumed to have this condition for something that we really don't (or shouldn't at least) care about and don't have any effect over.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Can someone explain to me this whole "conditional 1st if signs" condition in trades. Why even bother with this? To me this seems totally pointless, since who really cares if say Stone signs with who we trade him to or another team in the offseason. Why not scrap the condition and just get an additional guaranteed return in the trade instead?

I mean maybe getting like 25% odds (just throwing a random number out there) of a conditional 1st rounder beats having a guaranteed 2nd or 3rd thrown in if that's the alternative, that could make sense...I just don't really get why it's almost assumed to have this condition for something that we really don't (or shouldn't at least) care about and don't have any effect over.

Point is that team paying for the player is willing to pay more if they keep the player long term than for a rental

Reactions: OmniSens

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Point is that team paying for the player is willing to pay more if they keep the player long term than for a rental

Ya I suppose, but it just seems like it's just trying to purposely spite the team (by means we can't control) by trying to sign him rather than potentially increase the return. I mean I have no idea what a GM would accept as an equivalent concession to a conditional first.

Let's say Columbus' plan all along is just to use Duchene as a rental for a run and rather than sending us another prospect or maybe upgrading a prospect in the deal they let us have this condition they have no intention of fulfilling. Maybe I'm just being contrarian but trying to unwrap the logic in this beyond it being there just to hold the team over a barrel if they try to extend a player.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Calgary has a bunch of good pieces.

Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson
Dube
Bennett
I for one do not really consider any of those to be desirable pieces in a trade for Mark Stone. I recognize that Valimaki and Andersson are decent but they're realistically gonna be depth guys and nothing more. We don't need a bunch more mediocre pieces we need one good one.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I for one do not really consider any of those to be desirable pieces in a trade for Mark Stone. I recognize that Valimaki and Andersson are decent but they're realistically gonna be depth guys and nothing more. We don't need a bunch more mediocre pieces we need one good one.

We just gave up a top line C near the end of his prime (who has put up a lot of points on a historically bad team) and essentially got nothing back expect a two long shot prospects (in terms of becoming impact players).

We need to stop hoping for anything more for pur star players. Other GMs get to tell Dorion who to go scout and Dorion bends over because he can't convince Melnyk to spend on the roster.

Reactions: Beville

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

25% of a 1st rounder might be worth more than a 3rd round pick. I don’t know the stats but it’s a common cognitive trap that humans fall into, looking for the safe assett or ”win” even though it means a net loss based on probability.

Columbus have a lot of cap space and can use a good C long term.

Reactions: StupendousFlow

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Ya I suppose, but it just seems like it's just trying to purposely spite the team (by means we can't control) by trying to sign him rather than potentially increase the return. I mean I have no idea what a GM would accept as an equivalent concession to a conditional first.

Let's say Columbus' plan all along is just to use Duchene as a rental for a run and rather than sending us another prospect or maybe upgrading a prospect in the deal they let us have this condition they have no intention of fulfilling. Maybe I'm just being contrarian but trying to unwrap the logic in this beyond it being there just to hold the team over a barrel if they try to extend a player.
Player is worth X unsigned (Not X+3rd, X+5th, just X)... BUT, with an extension they are worth X+Y. Rather than do a sign and trade, which obviously the player isn't interested in doing, it's an insurance policy. It bypasses the player's decision to sign right now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Yeah but then we can trade a big chunk of these "ok" assets for some real, top-level talent.

I'm sure that's how it works!

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
We need to be dealing with Vegas for Stone. They have the pieces we need.

Stone for 1st, Glass, 1st
Stone, Ceci for 1st, Glass, Hague, Miller

richmh77

Jan 13, 2019

Because the deal for the rental is the guaranteed 1st and 2 prospects.

The conditional pick (think of it as a separate trade) is what Columbus has paid Ottawa to have negotiation rights. They now have the advantage of giving Duchene the 8 year contract... if there is no way to do a sign and trade, then I don’t mind Ottawa asking for a big conditional pick and on Columbus’ end, they basically paid for a rental and if they are successful in re signing him, the price is fair at 2-1st and 2-prospects.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We should be focusing on the Preds, Knights and Isles.

Bruins, Flames, Jets just don't have very desirable prospects.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
We should be focusing on the Preds, Knights and Isles.

Bruins, Flames, Jets just don't have very desirable prospects.

I would cut the Preds out of that too. There's gotta be a high potential piece in the deal and VGK and NYI have several of those.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

Yes I agree with you 100 % . I would have scrapped those maybe prospects and conditional 1st round pick. It should have been simple and about quality . Trade should have been liam foudy and 1st round pick for Matt duchene. Foudy being the solid blue chip prospect compared to those 2. I'm sure dorion tried but rentals are the worst to trade . Need term to do a great deal I feel.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
With the way Nilsson has played for us up to this point. Is there any possibility we could flip him to a contender for a higher puck than what we paid? Would show some great asset management by Pierre.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
With the way Nilsson has played for us up to this point. Is there any possibility we could flip him to a contender for a higher puck than what we paid? Would show some great asset management by Pierre.

I'd rather just keep him for what he returns in a trade unlikely we can find or draft a better replacement . Plus we will need a veteran guy once Anderson is gone after next season.

After that one of Gus or Hog can split time with Nilsson. Swedish connection ! !!!

Reactions: NB613

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

With so many goalies out there I doubt it.. Kinkaid, maybe Bob, Quick's names been out there.

Nilsson probably isnt going anywhere. I just hope they don't Mike Condon him and sign him to a multi year deal for too much money

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We need to be dealing with Vegas for Stone. They have the pieces we need.

Stone for 1st, Glass, 1st
Stone, Ceci for 1st, Glass, Hague, Miller
If we could get Glass and a 1st and a prospect I’d include Dzingel with Stone. Quality not quantity.
Islanders have coveted pieces as well. Dobson from them to replace Glass in the above scenario.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Asset management and Pierre are oxymorons, heavy on the moron part. We need to sign Nilsson, retain on Andy and trade him

Reactions: HF Reader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad