Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Tried to Tavares us for as long as he could
Came up a week or so short
Tavares told the Isles he wanted to stay, Duchene never did that. He just did the usual lip service while Tavares apparently told the Isles not to trade him.

There’s nothing wrong with what Duchene did. It’s not his fault we’re the worst-run organization in North American sports.

Reactions: derriko

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
6. One GM said last week most fanbases would gladly take Ottawa’s youth and prospect base of Drake Batherson, Logan Brown, Thomas Chabot, Filip Chlapik, Alex Formenton, Filip Gustavsson, Christian Jaros, Josh Norris, Brady Tkachuk, Colin White, Christian Wolanin and whatever is acquired in trades — even without their upcoming first-rounder. “There are some good bets in there,” he said. That is the Senators’ biggest challenge: overcoming the lack of faith in ownership that overshadows everything else.

Reactions: Icelevel

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Elliotte Friedman said:
My guess on Mark Stone is the Senators came at him with bigger money at less than max term. There were rumblings of five years at $10.5 million, but it was denied. That number would put him with Patrick Kane as the highest-paid winger in the NHL, but leaves money on the table Stone would try to recoup at age 32. His decision comes in the next few days. Chris Johnston reported on Headlines he thinks Vegas won’t do it as a rental. Winnipeg is definitely there. So is Calgary. Undoubtedly, there are others.

31 Thoughts: Could a stealth suitor emerge for Matt Duchene? - Sportsnet.ca

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
With Stone turning down the estimated 10.5 x 5 offer, I think he's gone.
This isn’t true. Friedman said the rumour of 10.5 million for 5 years was denied, i.e. shot down by whoever he asked. He did not mention anything about Stone rejecting that

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Any chance you have the actual article ? :)

Here you go.

As trade interest ramps up on Matt Duchene and Mark Stone this week, what will be fascinating to see if they don’t re-sign with the Ottawa Senators is whether they sign with their new teams or wait until after the season to figure all that out.

I made the point on Twitter last week to clarify the rules governing the maximum eight-year contracts and the role the trade deadline plays into it.

To recap: A player must be on that club’s reserve list at the trade deadline in order to be able to sign a maximum deal. So for example, because Erik Karlsson remained a Senator through the deadline last year (although he was nearly a Vegas Golden Knight on deadline day), when the San Jose Sharks traded for him in September the CBA would not allow them to sign him to an eight-year extension right away. They would have to wait until they carried him on their reserve list past this upcoming trade deadline before they can attempt to do sign him to an eight-year deal.
It is also why John Tavares signed a seven-year deal in Toronto, and not the max eight, because he was on the Islanders’ reserve list, of course, last trade deadline.

But, and here’s why I’m bringing all this up, it almost came to pass that Tavares ended up on an eight-year deal with Toronto. How, you ask? Once Tavares agonizingly, finally decided he was leaving the Islanders for his hometown Leafs, there was only about 24-48 hours before July 1 depending on which account you believe. Either way, it left a very tight window for the Leafs and Islanders to contemplate a sign-and-trade involving Tavares, but it was in fact contemplated. I’m told Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello and Leafs GM Kyle Dubas did have a short exchange about which asset Toronto would be willing to pay to get the Islanders to sign Tavares to eight years for them before flipping him to the Leafs. But whether the asset in question was too meagre to interest Lamoriello or whether they just ran out of time, it never came to pass.
(As an aside, I quoted Lamoriello at the draft in Dallas the week before saying he wouldn’t do a sign-and-trade but assumed, and apparently correctly, that was smart, calculated posturing to ensure the Islanders kept their leverage until the last possible moment that only they could give him eight years and nobody else).

So now agent Pat Brisson is handling Duchene’s situation he will want to move heaven and earth to try to get him the maximum eight years. Which could come in three different ways:
1. Re-signing with Ottawa, which by the hour is becoming less and less likely. The Senators are taking trade calls on him and those offers are getting increasingly serious as next Monday’s trade deadline approaches. Perhaps another contract offer comes their way which gives them pause but you just don’t get the feeling he’s signing.

2. Traded to a new team before Monday’s deadline and signing an extension with that new club either on the spot or after the season before July 1. Because Duchene would be on that team’s reserve list before 3 p.m. ET Monday, it ensures he can sign for the max. Nashville would be a potential example of this if the Predators do end up with Duchene. There could be interest that goes beyond this season in that scenario.

3. Go as a rental to a team but then hit the market. I think of Columbus here as an example that fits this description. Or Winnipeg. Those would be rental-only situations, the Jets because of their salary cap issues beyond this season and the Jackets because I don’t know that Duchene would be interested in signing there although you never know once you get there, maybe he gets to like it after all. In any case, under this rental-only scenario, once Duchene picks his new team during the UFA speaking window in late June, Brisson can try to orchestrate a sign-and-trade between his rental team and the new team, that’s the only way to access the eight years.
Otherwise, if he simply signs with a new team on July 1, his max is seven years. And I really do think the eighth year matters here for Duchene at his age (just turned 28). He should age gracefully enough given what a naturally gifted skater he is, but the bottom line is that given how teams are more and more reluctant to invest top dollar in players in their 30s, now is the time to max out.
Now, where the Senators end up in all of this will be interesting as well. Clearly, GM Pierre Dorion will need to protect himself in a Duchene trade ensuring there’s a conditional asset attached to any deal in case the player re-signs there. Ditto with a Stone trade. Think of the Evander Kane deal between Buffalo and San Jose last year.

Lots to manage in less than a week, for both the team and the agents, but here we are.

Reactions: DJB

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Was in Friedmans latest 31 thoughts, take that for what you will though.

... That's not what the piece said. He wrote that the rumour was Dorion offered 10.5 for 5 but that it was denied, as in "that is not what was offered" not "Stone turned it down".

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
This isn’t true. Friedman said the rumour of 10.5 million for 5 years was denied, i.e. shot down by whoever he asked. He did not mention anything about Stone rejecting that

He worded the paragraph poorly.

I think he was trying to say Stone denied a 10.5M extension, but I could easily see how it might sound like the story of that extension was denied.

The fact that he goes on to further elaborate about where the number puts Stone makes me think he meant to say the former rather than the latter, but it is definitely worded in an unclear manner.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just want one of these guys dealt before Thursday, so ONE of the assets is gone. Then sit the other two until signed/traded.
Well it certainly looks like we’re waiting for stone to refuse the contract so we can circle back to duchene and then wait for him to refuse so we can circle back to stone and then so on

Reactions: derriko and Boud

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

31 Thoughts: Could a stealth suitor emerge for Matt Duchene? - Sportsnet.ca

"4. My guess on Mark Stone is the Senators came at him with bigger money at less than max term. There were rumblings of five years at $10.5 million, but it was denied. That number would put him with Patrick Kane as the highest-paid winger in the NHL, but leaves money on the table Stone would try to recoup at age 32. His decision comes in the next few days. Chris Johnston reported on Headlines he thinks Vegas won’t do it as a rental. Winnipeg is definitely there. So is Calgary. Undoubtedly, there are others."

Kind of leaves it open to interpretation, without meaning to, in my opinion. Was the offer denied by Stone, or were the rumblings of the offer denied. Clarity on that would have been nice

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He worded the paragraph poorly.

I think he was trying to say Stone denied a 10.5M extension, but I could easily see how it might sound like the story of that extension was denied.

The fact that he goes on to further elaborate about where the number puts Stone makes me think he meant to say the former rather than the latter, but it is definitely worded in an unclear manner.
I’ve read it multiple times and in no way do I think he’s trying to imply Stone rejected it. He is saying he could not confirm that rumour. Because he goes on to say Stone’s decision is coming

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Sounds like some posters here were right. He was just trying to clean up his "image" around the league. Thing is, you can't blame any of the Sens players for wanting to leave, and that's sad. Most fan bases would be fuming mad with their stars leaving, but we understand why they want to :laugh:

I'm sure in addition to the self-interest there was a genuine intention to learn lessons from the past and handle his exit better than he did in Colorado. But he's not the kind of person with a ton of character depth, so he was bound to blow it on some level anyway. Which I think it is fair to say he did. A for effort, Matt. Thanks for the false hope and the crap ride.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I’ve read it multiple times and in no way do I think he’s trying to imply Stone rejected it. He is saying he could not confirm that rumour.

Fair enough, you might be right. The fact that multiple people are debating this in this thread probably dictates that he did a poor job wording it, which made it unclear what he was trying to say.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I know it's not much to go on, but Stone's face the entire game vs Chicago looked preoccupied, even when Tkachuk was trying to talk to him. I think he has an offer or two from Ottawa he's seriously contemplating.

The 10.5 for 5 years does sound like something Ottawa would offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad