Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Frozen, The Vegas Musical..... Draft 6/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Doan could be a good fit for a team willing to compete. he could be great for Cags on the 3rd line

ARZ has no use for him as they are miles away from that

Doan on a cheap contract I would easily take a flyer on.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Just send doan to Pittsburgh.

If we trade ebs and lost tpitts to FA and then missed out on Williams and/or anyone else

I'd still put him at 13th forward in that scenario.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't agree with bobbythebrain too often, so I'll just take a second to agree with him on a couple things. Dumba's hockey IQ really does seem to be lacking, I wouldn't compare him to Yakupov, but he seems to make about as many dumb mistakes as he does good plays, Minny fans claim that his good plays more then outweigh his blunders, I haven't personally seen evidence of that, but I obviously don't watch him as much as they do. What makes Dumba appealing is his shot, he is basically top 5 in Goals per 60 on the powerplay for d-men in the past 3 years and if you can get him playing the right way more often he does have all the tools to be a big impact player, but I think his lacking hockey IQ will likely stunt that to a fairly substantial degree. Just as an aside while Dumba and Barrie both get knocked on for their defensive game, in my viewing experience Barrie has done a much better job of ensuring the good he does outweighs the bad he does.

Then in regards to Shane Doan, he's not the player he once was obviously, but in watching him last year I still think he has some game left, I wouldn't completely turn my nose up at the idea of adding him. A lot of people were on the Iginla bandwagon and while he did play quite a bit better for LA then he was playing for Colorado, Iginla played much of the season like he didn't give a damn and defensively he was completely atrocious and he didn't seem to be winning any puck battles. Doan though did seem to still very much be a competitor he has slowed down, but he is still working hard and didn't forget how to play defense just cause he got old, his shot volume has also remained high. If he wants to sign here for 1 year at $1.5M and play 12 mins a night, that is fine by me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So lets say we have 1.25M to throw at a 12min/game RWer... do we go after Doan, Iginla, Sharp, Hemsky or Pitlick

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So a 22 year old RD with a howitzer something this team lacks bad is not good enough for this team , but a 40 year old winger who has lost 2 steps and it's so obvious a franchise he has spent 22 years with wants him gone is a good pick up . Really people

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So lets say we have 1.25M to throw at a 12min/game RWer... do we go after Doan, Iginla, Sharp, Hemsky or Pitlick

I'm doubtful that Sharp would sign so cheaply and probably the same for Hemmer, though I could see Sharp doing a low base salary with production bonuses.

VainGretzky said:
So a 22 year old RD with a howitzer something this team lacks bad is not good enough for this team , but a 40 year old winger who has lost 2 steps and it's so obvious a franchise he has spent 22 years with wants him gone is a good pick up . Really people
One very clear difference to start with, one costs significant assets to acquire the other costs nothing other than a contract spot and some money and if we wanted to bury Doan in the AHL he'd cost very little against our cap and the young guys down there could still benefit from his veteran leadership, so even the worst case doesn't sound horrible.

Just to give an analytics argument as to why Doan isn't complete crap despite slowing down quite a bit. The Coyotes last year as a team 5 on 5 had a CF% of 45.1 and a GF% of 44.1, Doan however had a CF% of 47.0 and a GF% of 52.6. If you look at his WOWY numbers as well most players were better with him than without him. Also with Hendricks likely leaving we are losing some of the old man mentorship, I don't mind arguing that Doan isn't the right grey beard for us, but having one grey beard for our young team likely isn't a bad idea. If Sharp or Williams are options for us I'd much prefer them to Doan, but who knows how things will play out or what their intentions are.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Dumba had 2 more ES points than Benning last year.....that's right.....two. He's no bigger and probably the lesser player on defense. Why get him and block the better, cheaper player? Benning also had almost zero PP time. He's a better player. No sense at all in getting Dumba as he does not fill any holes.

People are just looking at boxcars and pulling any guy who is RH and saying he'd be great. No consideration of defense (a defensman's first job) and all the other considerations (passing, skating, size, aggressiveness, possession, zone denial, zone exits etc etc). With FLA and NYI protecting guys I like Petrovic and Hamonic, I think going for a one year solution that helps until Sekera returns is is fine. Get Franson for a year, retain both Nurse and GR, maybe get Sustr from VGN as a RH upgrade on Gryba. Develop our young guys and get a rental at the deadline if necessary. Hey if VAN want to trade RNH/Reinhart for Tanev/Sutter I'd go for it, but mostly I'd try get some young assets like Sustr cheap to see if they develop or wait for someone to get desperate for a center and drop RNH on them.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Arizona might struggle to meet new cap floor after ED and not continuing Doan's contract. It might be possible to trade Eberle to Connor Murphy+. Before that move Chia needs either sign Foo or some other RW Free agent.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They want people to watch the awards show and now they have a carrot to dangle.

From what I understand they're announcing picks and trades throughout. Not even all at once. Finding out the Knights team and what trades have been made will be like a five hour endeavour.

Too bad we didn't all have little devices that will notify us as soon as trades are announced to help avoid the tedium of watching the awards show.

I guess I understand what they are trying to do, just don't think they will achieve what they hope to.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Arizona might struggle to meet new cap floor after ED and not continuing Doan's contract. It might be possible to trade Eberle to Connor Murphy+. Before that move Chia needs either sign Foo or some other RW Free agent.

There is talk of Arizona grabbing the David Clarkson and/or Nathan Horton contracts.

It's completely ridiculous. That team needs to move or fold or do something.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Sharp.

Right handed shooter that's usable on the PP. Could probably play higher in the line-up more reliably than those others.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Doan on the Oilers is so gross it's hard to fully imagine it without getting sick. Just retire.

Edit: I know the legend of Dumba is building each day, but if the Oilers acquire Barrie, I see little value in adding Dumba as well, I would rather they try and add De Haan instead in a deal with Vegas.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The fact that people are just blatantly ignoring that the team is actively trying to sign Russell is pretty funny. I'm guessing they won't go above the rumoured 4 for 4 deal, and I can't imagine Russell's camp looking for anything more in either category while getting to play with a good, young team.

Despite all of your negativity towards him, you should probably swallow the pill now and start thinking he's going to get signed so you're not upset when it happens.

Chances are extremely low that we'd get both Dumba and Barrie, especially with the Russell contract out there in potential land.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
One thing people are not looking at when trying to predict Vegas's moves is waiver eligibility.

They're basically going to have 30 waiver-exempt players. Some of them (probably the 9th-11th D-men in particular) are assets they could lose for nothing. So I think they'll be looking to move some middling pieces for waiver-exempt players. A guy like Lagesson or Betker might hold value as a throw-in after the draft for that reason. I'm not saying they'd be high-end adds, but guys who can be sent directly to the AHL will be important for Vegas.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
So can Vegas start making trades as soon as the draft is done?

It'll be interesting to see if they've got actual trades already worked out and are making calls now since their roster is finalized on paper.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So can Vegas start making trades as soon as the draft is done?

It'll be interesting to see if they've got actual trades already worked out and are making calls now since their roster is finalized on paper.

I would think the NHL would want them to "finalize" their roster then trade those players, so they don't have to spend an hour just announcing trades. :laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If we could pull off both of those trades we'd be set on D.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Dumba
Nurse-Barrie
Benning

Realistically if we made one of those moves we'd be in a good spot.

The Oilers aren't adding both Barrie and Dumba, that's overkill. All they need is one Dman to slot into the 2nd pairing. The more likely scenario is that they get neither of those guys and just re-sign Russell.
Chia is big on internal growth so I'm sure that we will see one of Nurse or Benning on the 2nd pairing to start the season.

I just think that some are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect big moves. The big trades and signings have already been made, now it's about managing the cap going forward. Eberle will likely be dealt but I have a feeling that it will be for a collection of lesser pieces with some cap savings to use towards adding a #3C and depth Dman, goalie.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If Oiler fans can get used to Kassian as an Oiler they can get used to Doan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad