Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part IV: Yak Yak Yak Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblood 2

Jul 7, 2006
If Del Zotto was scratched for a pending trade, do you guys really think it would be announced a full day before they even play?

He would be made aware if there was no need to travel to Montreal. They told him not the public.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I would hate to trade DZ, especially in any deal he is the best player in the deal. I have a hard time believing in benching a guy after the team plays 9 straight w/o giving up more than 2 goals.

Only way I do this is if the Rangers get a top 4 offensive RHD with some size and snarl, or a gifted athlete up front that can score and skate. Otherwise I don't see the point of downgrading the defense. The Rangers D had holes the season when Tyutin was traded and not replaced.

Vidic15*

I would hate to trade DZ, especially in any deal he is the best player in the deal. I have a hard time believing in benching a guy after the team plays 9 straight w/o giving up more than 2 goals.

Only way I do this is if the Rangers get a top 4 offensive RHD with some size and snarl, or a gifted athlete up front that can score and skate. Otherwise I don't see the point of downgrading the defense. The Rangers D had holes the season when Tyutin was traded and not replaced.

Coyle and Dumba would be a good return for DZ. Coyle alone would benefit us greatly because he pushes down the likes of Pouliot and Pyatt.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Idiotic timing, if true. I don't move MDZ until A- I know for a fact that Staal is back to his old self (a few games don't cut it. I want to see a couple months first) and B- "Old self" Staal is signed to a long-term extension. People like to talk about our depth at LD. That's true on the NHL level, but not true at all on the farm. After Staal, McD, MDZ and Moore, all of our LD are a LONG way away from contributing to an NHL team.

Move Del Zotto and Staal gets hurt, starts playing like he did early in the season or leaves for Carolina? We're boned.

I just don't understand the logic here.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I like Coyle a lot.

Then I also like Zucker, Scandella, and Dumba from Minny. Coyle and Dumba ain't happening. But maybe something like DZ + 2nd for Coyle and Zucker.

Punxrocknyc19*

Idiotic timing, if true. I don't move MDZ until A- I know for a fact that Staal is back to his old self (a few games don't cut it. I want to see a couple months first) and B- "Old self" Staal is signed to a long-term extension. People like to talk about our depth at LD. That's true on the NHL level, but not true at all on the farm. After Staal, McD, MDZ and Moore, all of our LD are a LONG way away from contributing to an NHL team.

Move Del Zotto and Staal gets hurt, starts playing like he did early in the season or leaves for Carolina? We're boned.

our savior will be Stu Bickel back to the top 4 dman on the Rangers if Del Zotto and Staal leave during the same season :sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

LOL. Our LD depth is overrated! Except when you mention the 3 guys playing LD right now, one of whom just signed a long term deal and another is still within RFA status. Plus, Connor Allen who looks promising, and Skjei who is still a couple of years out. We can take the hit on MDZ, especially if an RD is coming back.

BarbaraAlphanse

Trade DZ and brassard back to Torts. Get Kessler in return. AV familiar with Kess, torts won't like Kess' diving mentality. Rift will happen between the two. We get our replacement center for Brad.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
LOL. Our LD depth is overrated! Except when you mention the 3 guys playing LD right now, one of whom just signed a long term deal and another is still within RFA status. Plus, Connor Allen who looks promising, and Skjei who is still a couple of years out. We can take the hit on MDZ, especially if an RD is coming back.

Not to mention the fact that Staal is signed for next year, giving you more than 18 months to replace him if he is in fact leaving.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

You're not using much logic of your own do I guess it makes you don't understand the logic behind moving MDZ.

If Staal leaves and we replace him with MDZ we're in almost just as bad of a situation as we are if we trade MDZ and lose Staal.

If we trade MDZ and get value in return let's say Coyle + D prospect does it help our team more than just keeping MDZ out of fear of losing Staal next off-season?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I never said it was overrated. What I was actually saying is that it is top-heavy. We have three guys who have shown that they can play top 4 LD for any significant length of time in the NHL--McD, Staal and MDZ. You move one, you're left with two. One of those two is a fricking iron man. The other? I love Staal. I hope he gets signed long term. But he's missed as many games as he's played over the last couple of years, and there are other potential concerns about whether or not he intends to stay after his current contract.

After those three? You have a ridiculously overrated John Moore. Brady Skjei, who was a late 1st rounder who looked just awful last year (he's at least three years out, if he ever makes it to the NHL, in my opinion) and the current flavor of the month, Connor Allen. Allen is actually older than MDZ--were you aware of that? He's not going to walk in and fill a top-4 spot if Staal gets hurt/leaves town.

But no, let's move him for a RD--when one of our best, most NHL-ready prospects is a...wait for it...RD.

Like I said--if Staal signs an extension and shows for a few more weeks that he's back, move MDZ for a young forward. Until then? It's just stupid.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Bottom line, IMO: The team has 4 capable LDs. They need a capable RD and a capable top-six forward.

I can't imagine the team is going to trade MDZ unless they are confident that at least two of Staal/Girardi/Stralman are going to be extended long-term.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
You're not using much logic of your own do I guess it makes you don't understand the logic behind moving MDZ.

If Staal leaves and we replace him with MDZ we're in almost just as bad of a situation as we are if we trade MDZ and lose Staal.

If we trade MDZ and get value in return let's say Coyle + D prospect does it help our team more than just keeping MDZ out of fear of losing Staal next off-season?

MOD

Second, we HAVE lost Staal and replaced him with MDZ. It resulted in DZ's best hockey of his career. If we trade MDZ and lose Staal to injury or trade, then we have almost no defense on the left side. We'll end up in an even worse version of the situation we're in now (where the right is solid but the left has guys playing more minutes than they should).

I also didn't suggest holding onto MDZ out of fear of what Staal would do. I suggested forcing Staal's hand a bit by offering him an extension.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I never said it was overrated. What I was actually saying is that it is top-heavy. We have three guys who have shown that they can play top 4 LD for any significant length of time in the NHL--McD, Staal and MDZ. You move one, you're left with two. One of those two is a fricking iron man. The other? I love Staal. I hope he gets signed long term. But he's missed as many games as he's played over the last couple of years, and there are other potential concerns about whether or not he intends to stay after his current contract.

After those three? You have a ridiculously overrated John Moore. Brady Skjei, who was a late 1st rounder who looked just awful last year (he's at least three years out, if he ever makes it to the NHL, in my opinion) and the current flavor of the month, Connor Allen. Allen is actually older than MDZ--were you aware of that? He's not going to walk in and fill a top-4 spot if Staal gets hurt/leaves town.

But no, let's move him for a RD--when one of our best, most NHL-ready prospects is a...wait for it...RD.

Like I said--if Staal signs an extension and shows for a few more weeks that he's back, move MDZ for a young forward. Until then? It's just stupid.

Girardi is a lot closer to leaving than Staal is, for one thing. For another, John Moore is still a developing player. Not overrating him at all. The idea would be, if Staal does happen to leave, Moore slots into the top 4 and Allen plays on the 3rd pair. Allen, by the way, is in the same year as Del Zotto. I'm aware he's older by six months, but he's still just 23. Not everyone jumps into the NHL at 18.

Our LD depth is much, much, much better off than our RD depth. If Staal jumps ship, which isn't even a guarantee, it happens. We have the pieces to handle that side of our D changing drastically over the next 3 years without MDZ in the picture.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Coyle would be another big body to add to our forward corps.

Quick question: Is his future at C or RW?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
MOD

Second, we HAVE lost Staal and replaced him with MDZ. It resulted in DZ's best hockey of his career. If we trade MDZ and lose Staal to injury or trade, then we have almost no defense on the left side. We'll end up in an even worse version of the situation we're in now (where the right is solid but the left has guys playing more minutes than they should).

I also didn't suggest holding onto MDZ out of fear of what Staal would do. I suggested forcing Staal's hand a bit by offering him an extension.

You're suggesting that Staal hasn't played enough to convince you his game won't decline, yet using a small sample size to prop up MDZ.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Girardi is a lot closer to leaving than Staal is, for one thing. For another, John Moore is still a developing player. Not overrating him at all. The idea would be, if Staal does happen to leave, Moore slots into the top 4 and Allen plays on the 3rd pair. Allen, by the way, is in the same year as Del Zotto. I'm aware he's older by six months, but he's still just 23. Not everyone jumps into the NHL at 18.

Our LD depth is much, much, much better off than our RD depth. If Staal jumps ship, which isn't even a guarantee, it happens. We have the pieces to handle that side of our D changing drastically over the next 3 years without MDZ in the picture.

I'm concerned about Girardi leaving as well, and I would be against moving Stralman for the same reasons. And yes, Allen is only six months older than MDZ--but he's never played an NHL game.

The issue for me is that you have a lot more faith in our lesser LDs than I do. You are comfortable with John Moore as a top 4 D. He scares the hell out of me as a bottom pair D most nights. He's been awful this season, and he's not that far removed from failing to make a very mediocre Columbus D.

You see Allen as a lock for being able to handle a regular NHL shift. I see another in a long line of AHL guys who this board annointed as the "next Girardi." Is it possible? Yeah, sure. It's also entirely improbable (there is a long list of guys who this board thought would be great NHL players based on their AHL play--the vast majority haven't panned out, either here or with any other team). Remember a few months ago when Parlett was going to be a lock for our top 4 for ages? Remind me--has he won a Norris yet?

Again, I'm not opposed to moving MDZ. I just think doing it now (as opposed to closer to the trade deadline when we'll know more) is stupid timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille